General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

A spokesperson for Harry and Meghan has just told ITV that “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to ask the U.S. government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made.”

Is this a spokesman for the same Harry and Meghan who said that stating whether their security was privately or publicly funded would place them in great jeopardy, only for it to emerge that Canada had been footing the bill?

My thoughts were that Vancouver Island was just a refuge that they used during their winter break that spilled into January for them to plot their next move.

Don't know. Maybe they thought that Canada woudl be cheaper, they would still get the C Govt to pay security, and they could travel to the USA for work and they'd be able to make some arrangement with the Can govt to stay permanelty.. so they were genuinely planning on living in Canada for some years.
But Now they cant' travel, the Can govt wotnt pay security so they are trying to be in a place where, when the crisis is over, they can set themselves up to get work....

Is this a spokesman for the same Harry and Meghan who said that stating whether their security was privately or publicly funded would place them in great jeopardy, only for it to emerge that Canada had been footing the bill?

I do agree that this continuous discussing of their security arrangements places them in great jeopardy.

I think the difference is that Meghan will be close to her mother and she was born and raised in LA. It is a city she is most certainly comfortable with.

Also when I think of being "financially independent" that requires a big city like either NY or LA. First the above reasons they went with LA I guess.

Not at all. Easy access to a big city perhaps. But a lot of business they may work with, even show business related ones, don't film or work in LA. That is just headquarters for them. Many actors don't live in LA.

Financial independence also means being smart with your money. And living in an extremely expensive city like LA or New York wont help with that either.

Well the couple can pay for their security from the money they are getting from Charles plus their own private wealth in addition to whatever income they hope to generate from their business ventures.

There wont be any business ventures at present iMO. ANd Charles' while a very rich man, has other commitments and I am sure he did not expect to have to pay for foreign security, which is going to cost much more.. for an indefintite period. The UK like everywhere is going to have money problems. Its going to look bad that they are expecting someone else, either the tax payer or the Canadian govt, or P Charles, to support them...

Not at all. Easy access to a big city perhaps. But a lot of business they may work with, even show business related ones, don't film or work in LA. That is just headquarters for them. Many actors don't live in LA.

Financial independence also means being smart with your money. And living in an extremely expensive city like LA or New York wont help with that either.
On the contrary- most actors or celebrities DO live in LA or nearby cities. LA is a hub-numerous studios, production companies, and headquarters are based in LA.

It makes perfect sense for the couple to set up their base in LA.
Perhaps they take a secondary vacation home in a more private location. Who is to tell!

It's so awesome to have a leader who only speaks on matters after he's been fully briefed on situations, and verifies all press reports before commenting. :whistling:

Well the flip side is Trudeau ran right out there and said Canada would be happy to pay for their security. He had to walk it back when Canadians weren't all that happy about it.

They'd both had been better off saying nothing. As far as I know Harry and Meghan haven't asked any country to pay for their security.

On the contrary- most actors or celebrities DO live in LA or nearby cities. LA is a hub-numerous studios, production companies, and headquarters are based in LA.

It makes perfect sense for the couple to set up their base in LA.
Perhaps they take a secondary vacation home in a more private location. Who is to tell!

Have to agree to disagree on Facts. Celebrities are not all within the LA borders.

And at no time has it been suggested Meghan plans to go back to being a full time actress either. Or even part time actress. That has been pure speculation from the media. Other then her volunteer voice over work.

Films and tv shows are filmed on locations all over the country and even in other places like Canada (hence Suits). They are at no way restricted to living in LA to be close to work. Some how big time actors like Travolta, Bill Murray, Elijah Wood, Kevin Costner, Bruce Willis and so and so on some how make do with their permanent home not in LA or New York and go there when needed for shooting.

Financially LA doesn't make sense for security and living purposes, especially as they get started. This isn't the days when she was a single actress starting out and could have a tiny studio apartment near work. That doesn't work with Harry, Archie and security.

Last edited:
It's possible that they just wanted some time out, somewhere quiet and peaceful, but always intended to move to a big city long-term. Or their plans could have changed - none of us are exactly doing what we'd planned at the moment.

Not long to go now till they step down officially. Lucky for them that their step down coincided with the outbreak - I guess the press won’t be pursuing them as much. Although they showed in a number of occasions they quite enjoy the media interest and their fame - when it suits them, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to agree to disagree on Facts. Celebrities are not all within the LA borders.

And at no time has it been suggested Meghan plans to go back to being a full time actress either. Or even part time actress. That has been pure speculation from the media. Other then her volunteer voice over work.

Films and tv shows are filmed on locations all over the country and even in other places like Canada (hence Suits). They are at no way restricted to living in LA to be close to work. Some how big time actors like Travolta, Bill Murray, Elijah Wood, Kevin Costner, Bruce Willis and so and so on some how make do with their permanent home not in LA or New York and go there when needed for shooting.

Financially LA doesn't make sense for security and living purposes, especially as they get started. This isn't the days when she was a single actress starting out and could have a tiny studio apartment near work. That doesn't work with Harry, Archie and security.
The facts are that most- I never said all live within the LA vicinity.

All of the actors you listed have maintained homes near LA- and Harry and Meghan certainly do not have the star power of Hollywood influence that they do.

No one knows for sure if she will resume her Hollywood acting career. One thing is for certain though- she is in the right place!

The facts are that most- I never said all live within the LA vicinity.

All of the actors you listed have maintained homes near LA- and Harry and Meghan certainly do not have the star power of Hollywood influence that they do.

No one knows for sure if she will resume her Hollywood acting career. One thing is for certain though- she is in the right place!

but there wont be any "Hollywood career" or any other career for some time. If they want privacy, its probably just as easy to be private In Canada, and to wait out the crisis there. Charles will have to pay for security but it will be a bit less expensive in Canada. Moving to LA seems to indicate that they DO see themselves as having a Hollywood career and want to be on the spot when things open up....

I don't know about the rest of you but to be honest, I really have *no* clue what the plan is for Harry and Meghan going forward or even what they want to do, how they're going to do it and for what reasons they came to a decision.

If Meghan has been so dead set on her acting career to obtain a gazillion green dollars, I don't think she would have ever considered Harry as a serious partner in life, leave a lucrative acting career that most actresses never attain and move to the UK. This is a woman that has stated that her acting career is what made her philanthropy work possible. It was a means to an end.

Right now so much is being projected onto this couple without any real basis to it but at least now we're nearing the finish line of March 31st and hopefully soon will know more. ?

I don't know about the rest of you but to be honest, I really have *no* clue what the plan is for Harry and Meghan going forward or even what they want to do, how they're going to do it and for what reasons they came to a decision.

If Meghan has been so dead set on her acting career to obtain a gazillion green dollars, I don't think she would have ever considered Harry as a serious partner in life, leave a lucrative acting career that most actresses never attain and move to the UK. This is a woman that has stated that her acting career is what made her philanthropy work possible. It was a means to an end.

Right now so much is being projected onto this couple without any real basis to it but at least now we're nearing the finish line of March 31st and hopefully soon will know more. ?

She wasn't likely to earn a gazillion dollars as an actress, was she? She was doing OK, but far from a big star. But Marriage to Harry might for a short time push her up to a position where she could ask for large fees for voice overs and maybe some kind of performance work. I am not sure it would last for long, but if the crisis hadn't happened, she might well have had offers to earn good money for a few years, just like Harry might get large fees for public speaking for a few years.

I wonder if they do.

Their actions within these past months seems to me to be one long line of impulsive decisions.
Without considering the deeper consequences and alternatives.

A) We want to leave the BRF as active members and become mainly private citizens. And provide for ourselves in some way.... - Oh, and we want that to happen tomorrow.

B) We want to earn our own income and be philanthropic using our royal title. Isn't that a great idea? - Why on earth should that be a problem?!?

C) We want to settle in Canada. In fact we have already settled there. - What obstacles? Why should there be any obstacles?!?

D) Okay. Then we'll move to California. In fact we already have.

- You get my point? From my detached view there is no plan. To me they act on a series of impulsive whims.
And it's pretty unsettling to look at!

I wonder if they do.

Their actions within these past months seems to me to be one long line of impulsive decisions.
Without considering the deeper consequences and alternatives.

A) We want to leave the BRF as active members and become mainly private citizens. And provide for ourselves in some way.... - Oh, and we want that to happen tomorrow.

B) We want to earn our own income and be philanthropic using our royal title. Isn't that a great idea? - Why on earth should that be a problem?!?

C) We want to settle in Canada. In fact we have already settled there. - What obstacles? Why should there be any obstacles?!?

D) Okay. Then we'll move to California. In fact we already have.

- You get my point? From my detached view there is no plan. To me they act on a series of impulsive whims.
And it's pretty unsettling to look at!

I agree ...and I think this probably has to do with the fact that they expected to get whatever they wanted. Once HM and Charles put the kibbosh on that, they had to pivot and act spontaneously. H and M believe they’ve been disrespected, and as a result their behavior during this entire process has essentially been a big “flip off” to the BRF.

I agree ...and I think this probably has to do with the fact that they expected to get whatever they wanted. Once HM and Charles put the kibbosh on that, they had to pivot and act spontaneously. H and M believe they’ve been disrespected, and as a result their behavior during this entire process has essentially been a big “flip off” to the BRF.

I dotnt know if it is impulsive decisions.. and that they are not very bright so have made too many... or if they (or at least Meghan) always had a plan to go iehter full time at working for themselves or part time working for themselves...and expected the RF to smile benignly and let them do it. then when as you say they got told no, they darted about and changed plans and now it seems like a lot of chopping and changing...

I dotnt know if it is impulsive decisions.. and that they are not very bright so have made too many... or if they (or at least Meghan) always had a plan to go iehter full time at working for themselves or part time working for themselves...and expected the RF to smile benignly and let them do it. then when as you say they got told no, they darted about and changed plans and now it seems like a lot of chopping and changing...

It may seem impulsive to some because the Sussexes aren't sharing their detailed plans with the world. However, they have always said they will spend their time in North America (I always assumed part of that would be in the US otherwise they would have just said Canada) and the UK.

It makes sense that they would have some type of base in the US as the majority of the people they will be working with will be there (from what we have seen so far). California also seems like a wise decision as they have a support system there (despite the fact that some believe they only have the BRF).

IMO I don't think Meghan will return to acting unless it provides an outlet for them to do their humanitarian work (like the Elephant movie) that seems to be where both their interest and hearts are.

It may seem impulsive to some because the Sussexes aren't sharing their detailed plans with the world. However, they have always said they will spend their time in North America (I always assumed part of that would be in the US otherwise they would have just said Canada) and the UK.

It makes sense that they would have some type of base in the US as the majority of the people they will be working with will be there (from what we have seen so far). California also seems like a wise decision as they have a support system there (despite the fact that some believe they only have the BRF).

IMO I don't think Meghan will return to acting unless it provides an outlet for them to do their humanitarian work (like the Elephant movie) that seems to be where both their interest and hearts are.

So their plan was to havea base in Canada AND in the US? I hope Charles has deep pockets.

You all raised excellent points.
I still maintain that there could have been a happy medium but the couple jumped the gun. Now they're left to figure things out as they go.

So their plan was to havea base in Canada AND in the US? I hope Charles has deep pockets.

Even if he does, won't people in the UK gripe if he spends millions funding the Sussexes? Especially in this time of crisis?

It could be argued that it is his private money, BUT.
The RF is sustained by the public goodwill, and that is bound to suffer when, as someone stated, many people are struggling to pay the rent.

Even if he does, won't people in the UK gripe if he spends millions funding the Sussexes? Especially in this time of crisis?

It could be argued that it is his private money, BUT.
The RF is sustained by the public goodwill, and that is bound to suffer when, as someone stated, many people are struggling to pay the rent.

Charles' private money is derived from the state in one form or another.

Where did I say they would be based in BOTH? I noted they said they would split their time between North American (which is more than Canada) and the UK. I also noted that California makes sense because they have a support system there.

You all raised excellent points.
I still maintain that there could have been a happy medium but the couple jumped the gun. Now they're left to figure things out as they go.

It's easy to say there could be a happy medium when you are on the outside looking in like all of us. To be in the middle of it and harassed day in & day out, especially pre/post-partum, probably did a lot more damage then we'll ever know. Look at how they are being treated when they said they want to live independently....there was no medium.

Last edited:
Right, it's time to move on from discussing royal finances and who will pay for security or the upkeep of the Sussexes. The topic has been discussed and debated over and over again since January and we quite literally going round and round in circles with it. Until further details emerge officially about the matter, let's discuss other General News if there is any. Thank you.

Well, I can’t say I disagree with the general thrust of this article...Canadians are not happy

Turns out we were just a safe bolt-hole for them to shirk their royal duties. As part of the Commonwealth, with the Queen as our head of state, we were acceptable to Buckingham Palace. The U.S. would have been a more controversial choice.

Now in the midst of the Covid-19 crisis, they’ve fled to Los Angeles without a word of gratitude to Canadian taxpayers who footed the hefty bill for their security.

They slunk off with no gesture of thanks. No token of their appreciation for the support they were given here.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/blizzard-harry-and-meghan-acting-like-spoiled-brats

I don't disagree either. Actually, I agree full heartedly. Harry is just Harry to me now. He got his wish. He isn't representing or acting like a royal, or even a noble duke. I think the "duke of Sussex title" being used by him is superfluous and ridiculous at this point. That title was given to a person expected to work for the monarchy and that ship has sailed. I'll never call him that again. I call him Just Harry now. Just Harry. He'll be spending his days at the Colony in Malibu and going to Ralphs for the wife's vegan cheese.

Posts ignoring the Mod note made only a few hours ago have been deleted.

Harry and Meghan published their last post on their official Instagram account:

"As we can all feel, the world at this moment seems extraordinarily fragile. Yet we are confident that every human being has the potential and opportunity to make a difference—as seen now across the globe, in our families, our communities and those on the front line—together we can lift each other up to realise the fullness of that promise.

What’s most important right now is the health and wellbeing of everyone across the globe and finding solutions for the many issues that have presented themselves as a result of this pandemic.

As we all find the part we are to play in this global shift and changing of habits, we are focusing this new chapter to understand how we can best contribute.

While you may not see us here, the work continues.

Thank you to this community - for the support, the inspiration and the shared commitment to the good in the world. We look forward to reconnecting with you soon. You’ve been great!

Until then, please take good care of yourselves, and of one another.

Harry and Meghan"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-XTsETJsU0/

Last edited:
The Sussexes worked hard representing the Queen, UK & Commonwealth over the past 2 years. 3 successful tours while establishing successful individual projects that had a positive impact on people of the UK all while welcoming a child into the world.

They are walking away from what many see as a fairytale but in reality, was most likely a nightmare. Tiaras & titles can't be bandaids (or plasters) for the constant abuse and bullying they received. In their most recent and final IG post (posted today), they indicated they are stepping back and will be working behind the scenes for a while and I wish them all the best.

Good Luck to the Sussexes in their future endeavors.

Last edited by a moderator:
And that is that. Doesn't seem we will hear anything from them for months. They no longer using that Instagram account. It is all done.

Good luck to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom