The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:19 AM
Royal Highness

So Frogmore renovations were paid with a tax refund?

Old 06-25-2019, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oing-deal.html

Richard Kay's piece about whether H&M are keeping up with their side of the bargain.
Is he seriously saying because they kept birth plans of Archie private as the issue? Seriously? We actually got more out of Archie’s birth than other babies in this generation at this point in the child’s life. If people could just look past the lack of feeding frenzy outside of a hospital because why would we want that? And btw, I do notice the criticism of Meghan daring to miss a state visit often comes from male writers. How dare she not return to work 4 weeks post partum. Quite cruel.

And seriously, where has it been said that Duke of Gloucester offered their KP home to Harry?

If he wants to talk money, stick to the money. Talk about the boost to tourism.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post

If he wants to talk money, stick to the money. Talk about the boost to tourism.
As a columnist, Richard can write pretty much what he wants, subject to editorial control. It is for the readers to decide that which is credible and that which is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
And seriously, where has it been said that Duke of Gloucester offered their KP home to Harry?
It was widely suggested in the media last year that the home of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester was being considered for Harry. How true that may be, I can't quite comment on.

Very flawed arguments from Piers Morgan, but unfortunately for the BRF, the antipathy between Meghan and Piers is causing problems for The Firm!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-makeover.html
Old 06-25-2019, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It was widely suggested in the media last year that the home of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester was being considered for Harry. How true that may be, I can't quite comment on.
However, no one ever reported that the Gloucesters actually offered their home.

It's simply the media thinking it's available because, supposedly, they offered it to the Cambridges years ago. We still don't how true that is, and certainly, many things could've changed that even if they did.

And btw, why do people assume that 30 some year olds with a newborn could just simply move into a home that's been occupied by empty nesters in their 70s? And of course, another accommodation would've to be found for Gloucesters with renovations if they moved out. Do people expect The Queen to just toss her cousins out onto the streets?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Majesty

Morgan's article is practically a carbon copy of Richard Kay's, just repeating the same tired arguments and false claims.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Very flawed arguments from Piers Morgan, but unfortunately for the BRF, the antipathy between Meghan and Piers is causing problems for The Firm!

The overt "antipathy" seems to be one-sided.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
So Frogmore renovations were paid with a tax refund?
Yes because it is actually owned by the crown estate, not Harry and Meghan. They paid to maintain the building walls, floors, ceiling, heating, plumbing. The couple paid for all of the internal features/fixtures.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post
Yes because it is actually owned by the crown estate, not Harry and Meghan. They paid to maintain the building walls, floors, ceiling, heating, plumbing. The couple paid for all of the internal features/fixtures.
This is the truth that gets spun out of context quite a bit. It happened with the renovations to Apt. 1A and now with Frogmore Cottage.

The spin is to lay at the royal's feet the *huge* amount of money being spent to make their residences lush and lavish and totally forget that the money being spent on structural repairs is needed preservation for generations to come no matter who lives there. Its called property maintenance as is usually required of *anyone* that owns residential property.

Harry and Meghan do not own Frogmore Cottage and the work being done is to ensure that it will be a solid, standing residence for many generations to come. Its entirely possible that 100 years from now, it could be William's grandchild and spouse that move in there.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Nobility

Piers would not write that article if he and Meghan are friends. Meh, who cares what he thinks.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
Piers would not write that article if he and Meghan are friends.

Exactly!

I'll probably get jumped on for this, but I can't help feeling Meghan made a mistake antagonizing Piers.

It wouldn't have taken much to keep him on her side, and he'd mount a defense against all the hostile media reports that are being published. JMO.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I find it interesting that Piers refers to Frogmore Cottage as actually being “ a mansion” and not the dictionary definition of “ cottage” ( a small home in the countryside).

Although that is true, it just highlights that what looks like a mansion to us common folk might be merely a cottage by royal standards !
Old 06-25-2019, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Exactly!

I'll probably get jumped on for this, but I can't help feeling Meghan made a mistake antagonizing Piers.

It wouldn't have taken much to keep him on her side, and he'd mount a defense against all the hostile media reports that are being published. JMO.
I don't know, that might have worked in the short term, but my best guess is that he's the kind of person who if she tried to set boundaries, he'd trample all over them and the end result would be the same. Diana was the master of this, and even for her, it didn't work forever.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:54 PM
Majesty

Piers has history even with Harry. Back in the day when Piers was a newspaper editor he was Harry’s chief tormentor.

Piers eviscerated Harry over his nazi fancy dress and racial slurs. Referring to an Asian fellow soldier as a ‘paki’

So it’s not like any of this is really new. The simplest answer to all of this is it’s Meghan’s turn to suffer the slings and arrows of the tabloids. All royals go through it.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Exactly!

I'm not going to 'jump on you' but I disagree. No person should have to placate another person that they don't want to interact with in order for them not to harrass or bully them. I would never give that advice to anyone.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I don't know, that might have worked in the short term, but my best guess is that he's the kind of person who if she tried to set boundaries, he'd trample all over them and the end result would be the same. Diana was the master of this, and even for her, it didn't work forever.
Agreed. Appeasement has never worked with people who takes a yard when you give an inch.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Exactly!

Its my understanding that the one time Meghan met Mr. Morgan, it was before she even met Harry. There was no "in" to be gained with the BRF at the time at all.

Meghan, rightfully, took Harry's advice and stayed as far away from any media as she possibly could. In other words, Morgan wasn't the only one "ghosted" once Meghan was on the path to joining the BRF. She also shut down her blog and closed her social media.

If she had made an exception in Morgan's case, she would have been giving someone an inch that would want to turn it into a mile. So, in my opinion, she not only did what was right but also did something very wise. If Morgan's ego took a hit, that's on him alone and no one else.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 PM
Nobility

We don't know when and why she cut off contact, it might have had nothing to do with meeting Harry specifically.

Though I imagine Harry wouldn't have been very happy that his girlfriend was friends with Piers Morgan (not that they should dictate each other's friends) and she was already getting bashed on this board and others for meeting with him and being Twitter friends, despite him having a different profile in the US at the time.

It was probably awesome for him when the story broke because he thought he had an in. He's salty he doesn't have the access he feels entitled to, which would have included exclusives and invites which would not have been a good idea.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

A number of comments have been deleted. Swipes at reporters are against the forum rules. Debating the contents of an article is fine, but calling reporters creepy, obsessed, psychotic, etc is not.

If you wish to continue discussing the cost of Frogmore Cottage, you can so in the Frogmore Cottage and Nottingham thread.

Also, Meghan's brief friendship with Piers (and why they no longer speak) has been endlessly discussed, so let's not go down that road again. Let's stick to discussing the article and not the reporter. Further posts will be deleted. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I find it interesting that Piers refers to Frogmore Cottage as actually being “ a mansion” and not the dictionary definition of “ cottage” ( a small home in the countryside).

Although that is true, it just highlights that what looks like a mansion to us common folk might be merely a cottage by royal standards !
From the pictures we have seen, it is not exactly what we would call a cottage. If anything, it appears to be 5 cottages knocked into one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Meghan, rightfully, took Harry's advice and stayed as far away from any media as she possibly could.
I would so like that to be true. However, it does appear that Meghan authorised some of her friends to speak to the media on her behalf. Not the wisest move, IMO.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, all houses would be compared to the big house on the property.
In comparison to Windsor Castle everything else is a cottage. The house wasn’t named by a middle class 21st century person, after all.

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry