General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody is talking about how much time the family will spend in the uk. Could I put something in the mix.....90 days...... Inland Revenue.....

I think certain royal events, such as Trooping the Colour, accompanying The Queen to church, etc, are high visibility, low commitment opportunities for the couple to remain visible as royals now that they’re not working members of the royal family.

I don’t think Harry is completely estranged from his family so I do think he’ll come back to see everyone, and to keep Archie in contact with the family, and that Meghan will accompany him at least some of the time. But it’s possible to kill two birds with one stone - there’s no reason they can’t mix family time with self promotion.

Apparently he's going to spend time at Balmoral and also with his father in Scotland.....of course, I'm sure that's a fluid situation given the virus. Generally, though, I agree with you - Trooping the Colour and such are perfect events for Harry and Meghan to return for.

Will and Harry have had gap years, Harry had 10 years in the army, Will had Univeristy and his time as a pilot where he had about 3 or 4 years of working in a service job which was not the army.. But their lives are never going to be the same as "normal people." The only way they can learn in depth is by reading and talking to "ordinary people" and that's not the same either.
I don't blame Charles for their flaws.. their faults are their own. I don't think that he was the wisest parent at times.. He no doubt felt guilty about the broken marriage, his own faults as a husband...and IMO he let them have their own way too much as teenagers and both of them became uncharmingly spoiled Hooray Henries. I think WIlliam matured because of his steady relationship with Kate, and her middle class family... and his doing a relatively ordinary few years in a job. Harry had the army.. but Im not sure it matured him a lot. I think now he is very much under M's influence... and he will probably find it hard to adjust to having to hustle and earn a living....

I think the thing that will affect him the most is the loss of the automatic deference and protection he gets as an HRH. People holding doors for him, royal motor pool cars complete with RPO drivers, the bob of a head when he meets someone, the BP smooth staffing of Royal day-to-day. He may not even realize the deference until it is gone. His whole life has been sheltered from the grit. The grit is worrying about money and interviewing potential staffers yourself and discerning if they are Sun reporters undercover. The grit is not knowing that your next "inclusivity" engagement has Sacha Baron Cohen in the room, undercover. The grit is not having between 8 and 12 personal staff to attend to your clothing and laundry and doctor appointments. The grit is having your prestige slightly diminish with every commercial venture.

When Diana lost her RPOs, she endured a lot of heckling and rude comments from the paps who wanted reaction photos. I sense that Harry may be subjecting himself and his family to some rough times.

I

When Diana lost her RPOs, she endured a lot of heckling and rude comments from the paps who wanted reaction photos. I sense that Harry may be subjecting himself and his family to some rough times.

Diana didn't lose her RPOs'. She chose to be without them. Harry will still have RPOs... at least for a time. He will have to get used to something more like normal life.. his choice to take it.

I think the thing that will affect him the most is the loss of the automatic deference and protection he gets as an HRH. People holding doors for him, royal motor pool cars complete with RPO drivers, the bob of a head when he meets someone, the BP smooth staffing of Royal day-to-day. He may not even realize the deference until it is gone. His whole life has been sheltered from the grit. The grit is worrying about money and interviewing potential staffers yourself and discerning if they are Sun reporters undercover. The grit is not knowing that your next "inclusivity" engagement has Sacha Baron Cohen in the room, undercover. The grit is not having between 8 and 12 personal staff to attend to your clothing and laundry and doctor appointments. The grit is having your prestige slightly diminish with every commercial venture.

Harry has never given any sign he cares a pin for all the 'deferences' He has not been sheltered from the grit his whole life. The man was in the military 10 years, he spent time in the theater of war..I think he's used to doing for himself when it comes to opening/shutting doors and the general hum drum of life and since when did he have 8 to 12 ppl attending his laundry and appointments? Really?

Diana chose not to have RPO's unless the boys were with her (they had their own that came along).

Most transitions do have rough edges to them. I think he will most likely do just fine in the end.

LaRae

Harry has never given any sign he cares a pin for all the 'deferences' He has not been sheltered from the grit his whole life. The man was in the military 10 years, he spent time in the theater of war..I think he's used to doing for himself when it comes to opening/shutting doors and the general hum drum of life and since when did he have 8 to 12 ppl attending his laundry and appointments? Really?

Diana chose not to have RPO's unless the boys were with her (they had their own that came along).

Most transitions do have rough edges to them. I think he will most likely do just fine in the end.

LaRae
She didn't have a choice about the boys. They were minors and it was required that their RPOs were with them. And if Harry's so easy going, why doesn't he renounce the HRH and the title altogether and be plain Harry Windsor..

She didn't have a choice about the boys. They were minors and it was required that their RPOs were with them. And if Harry's so easy going, why doesn't he renounce the HRH and the title altogether and be plain Harry Windsor..

Harry easy going? I agree he has never been easy going. Highly Strung thoroughbred more like. Nothing would have gone down the way it has if that was true.

Harry easy going? I agree he has never been easy going. Highly Strung thoroughbred more like. Nothing would have gone down the way it has if that was true.

I meant in the sense of not caring about the niceties of titles and how he's addressed or requiring half a dozen staff to do things for him. (not that I would clal him a highly strung thoroughbred myself....)

That's what I said...the boys had their own RPO's.

You'd have to ask Harry that. Maybe he wanted to but his father asked him to not do it or to wait.

LaRae

You'd have to ask Harry that. Maybe he wanted to but his father asked him to not do it or to wait.

LaRae

Maybe he did. Who knows? I guess going forward this might be an option for those born into the royal family who want out for whatever reason. I've mentioned Patricia of Connaught before. Seems like an honest & straightforward solution.

Maybe he did. Who knows? I guess going forward this might be an option for those born into the royal family who want out for whatever reason. I've mentioned Patricia of Connaught before. Seems like an honest & straightforward solution.

Yes well if they are going with the rumored 'slimmed down' monarchy then they will have to come up with a plan for 'excess' children of the King/Queen and siblings of the monarch.

LaRae

LaRae

I doubt Charles can make Harry do anything.

Why would they have to come up with a plan. In Spain only the reigning monarch and their children are part of it and others fall away. Sofia I am sure can have a normal life. Or they can keep it loose and see where life takes the various members.

Indeed. Charles had a plan.. WIlliam was the heir and Harry had a job as covering the Commonwelath and supporting the queen and later William. He then left tehm in the lurch. I think they'll have to cut down on what they do.. but his sudden departure has meant that they are now probably trying to revise their plans...

In the business and corporate world, there are always changes and bumps in the road ahead and the "Firm" isn't any different. We've seen some big changes made in the near past that affect the "Firm" but as the "Firm" is a well oiled machine and has been able to adapt and adjust over years of history, it will be just fine.

Harry and Meghan haven't totally deserted the family. They just do not work for the "Firm" anymore. Who's to say that in the future there won't be some kind of collaboration between incentives such as "Heads Together" and "United for Wildlife" of which Harry is still an ambassador (if I'm not mistaken and he doesn't need to be "royal" to fulfill that role as David Beckham is also an ambassador).

The "new" way of doing things for the Sussexes is going to take time to be put in place and implemented. I'm sincerely interested in following what does develop. Although there has been much emphasis lately on H&M "making money", I do get the feeling that it won't be as "commercial" as people are intimating its going to be. I do think they'll mainly focus on making a difference wherever they go and whatever they do. But that's just me. :D

In the business and corporate world, there are always changes and bumps in the road ahead and the "Firm" isn't any different. We've seen some big changes made in the near past that affect the "Firm" but as the "Firm" is a well oiled machine and has been able to adapt and adjust over years of history, it will be just fine.

Harry and Meghan haven't totally deserted the family. They just do not work for the "Firm" anymore. Who's to say that in the future there won't be some kind of collaboration between incentives such as "Heads Together" and "United for Wildlife" of which Harry is still an ambassador (if I'm not mistaken and he doesn't need to be "royal" to fulfill that role as David Beckham is also an ambassador).

The "new" way of doing things for the Sussexes is going to take time to be put in place and implemented. I'm sincerely interested in following what does develop. Although there has been much emphasis lately on H&M "making money", I do get the feeling that it won't be as "commercial" as people are intimating its going to be. I do think they'll mainly focus on making a difference wherever they go and whatever they do. But that's just me. :D

They are going to have to work hard to make money. They wll need to start paying for their own security and that alone wont come cheap. Then there is the travelling... when that's allowed again. Harry and Meghan wanted out. And that left Charles (and William) in the lurch but what could he do but put up with it.?

They are going to have to work hard to make money. They wll need to start paying for their own security and that alone wont come cheap. Then there is the travelling... when that's allowed again. Harry and Meghan wanted out. And that left Charles (and William) in the lurch but what could he do but put up with it.?

They may have to work, but if their plans changed to find a residence in the U.S., the notoriety and celebrity should bring them opportunity. A book deal, film role for Meghan. Harry could sift through and pick various products to endorse. Just one of those, like Samsung or Rolex, pays well, and without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
They may have to work, but if their plans changed to find a residence in the U.S., the notoriety and celebrity should bring them opportunity. A book deal, film role for Meghan. Harry could sift through and pick various products to endorse. Just one of those, like Samsung or Rolex, pays well, and without breaking a sweat.

Notoriety is not a quality you would expect tehm to wish to make use of, to earn a living. And they don't live In the US... they live in Canada...

For goodness sake..we are rehashing several topics that have been discussed in GREAT DETAIL MANY TIMES in other threads.

The thread has been cleaned up, and numerous off topic comments, and posts that are primarily rehashing points that have been extensively discussed on this and other threads have been deleted.

This is a reminder that the thread is for General News about the Sussex Family, so please stay on topic.

In addition, ignoring a moderator note, and continuing to make derailing, off topic, or argumentative posts will result in a time out, as explained here:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f19/member-time-out-47299.html

I am sure we will get confirmation (or not) soon. Though I can believe it. If they did it seemed like they had this in motion before they even returned to the UK.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this is true. At least Meghan has U.S. citizenship and Harry can get residency as a spouse. Legal residency was a problem in Canada.

LA is probably the best option for the Sussexes. I have no trouble believing that this would be true.

Honestly if they were worried about money, they would be smarter to stay in Canada. Their funds they already have will go further here, conversion and all. Acting or speaking jobs they can do from where ever. Many celebrities choose to live away from Hollywood or New York. They simply are in the city when they are working and have homes away from the prying eyes instead.

Endorsements, book deals and such wont stop because they are living in Canada.

Even if they chose the US, in no way is LA the BEST option for them. The cost of living is extremely high for them to live in a nicer area. The cost of security would be high because of the paparazzi in the city. And there is no sign Meghan plans to try and being a Hollywood actress/movie star. Even if she did, a lot of those movies are not filmed in Hollywood they are filmed on location.

Honestly if they were worried about money, they would be smarter to stay in Canada. Their funds they already have will go further here, conversion and all. Acting or speaking jobs they can do from where ever. Many celebrities choose to live away from Hollywood or New York. They simply are in the city when they are working and have homes away from the prying eyes instead.

Endorsements, book deals and such wont stop because they are living in Canada.

Even if they chose the US, in no way is LA the BEST option for them. The cost of living is extremely high for them to live in a nicer area. The cost of security would be high because of the paparazzi in the city. And there is no sign Meghan plans to try and being a Hollywood actress/movie star. Even if she did, a lot of those movies are not filmed in Hollywood they are filmed on location.

> I do not think they will be worried about money. Day to day expenses will no doubt be covered by Daddy, and I am sure some wealthy benefactor (Oprah? George Clooney? somebody else) will have been found who will lend them a suitably special house in LA for a few years.

> As regards paparrazzi, again I do not think they will be worried particularly. As long as they can be pictured in the right setting and control their narrative, I would be surprised if they genuinely had a concern with the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom