The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 04:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I agree about the exaggeration, the xenophobia and the racial abuse. I have seen it too.

But seriously and realistically, does anyone really believe it's going to stop because of a lecture by the Royals or their friends?

I am not talking about the print press. They can and should be sued for untrue stories.

But how do you halt/fight racism and xenophobia on social media? It's like dealing with dandruff or cancer.

It's part of the human condition. It will ALWAYS be part of the ugly side of life.

I don't think it's a matter of the Royal couple "laying down and taking it:'.

But to believe ingrained ignorance and bigotry can be dealt with by stamping ones' feet and bellowing CUT IT OUT! is not realistic at all.

ETA: One must make a distinction between bullying and legitimate criticism. It is not bullying to point out the unwise choices the Sussexes have made and continue to make(celebrity baby showers, diva behavior at Wimbledon etc) imo

I just want to point out that the claims of diva behavior at Wimbledon were never proven and it was Meghan's security team that asked people to not take pics. We have seen her at sporting events before where she clearly didnt care if she was photographed and indeed she took photos and greeted people at Wimbledon.

SO we need to be cautious with what we see as "mistakes" because a lot of those have been made up by the media. Even the baby shower (which IMO had its issues) was exaggerated by the media. For example, Meghan asked to go out the back or somewhere less public at the hotel but the police department said no--according to the State Department diplomatic report.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

It's actually a very serious question: if a major problem is social media, and lies perpetrated by people on social media, what is the recourse? I suppose Meghan and Harry could do as some Asian celebrities have begun doing (successfully in some cases): pay someone to track down the person who originated the lie on social media, and take them to court. Perhaps that might be an option if the laws in the UK would support that. But the underlying misogyny, racism, xenophobia, etc. still exist, and, sadly, are not going to go away.

If you are Harry and Meghan, how do you manage that? Aside from personal satisfaction, is there any evidence at all that their recent revelations in the documentary have done anything at all the tamp down criticism of them? Make the press kinder? As far as I can see, all it's done is feed the beast. It's shown that the story of the Sussexes is even juicier than expected, that Harry can be goaded, that if you poke him enough, he'll play the same game his mother did, which is give privileged access to a few while suffering photogenically for the masses. It's horrendous, but also the way the news cycle works. The only way to win is not to play.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:41 PM
Majesty

Zaira if the Wimbledon story was fake news, the DoS or her people could have and should have refuted it. Immediately.

As for the baby shower being exaggerated..not sure how that is possible. She flew across the Atlantic for a party that was attended by an impressive list of high rollers like Amal Clooney. It took place in the most expensive hotel in Manhattan if not the country. Hundreds of thousands were spent for the party.That is not an exaggeration. It is a documented fact.

I guess I don't understand why Harry or someone didn't warn her against this in the first place?? A wealthy member of the British Royal family-of which Meghan became once she married Harry does not need a baby shower. The optics were TERRIBLE, and coming on the heels of never ending stories about the mass exodus of Sussex staff and exorbitant clothes expenses, it was a prime example of an UNFORCED ERROR.

It could have easily been avoided, and it should have been.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-24-2019, 05:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
It's actually a very serious question: if a major problem is social media, and lies perpetrated by people on social media, what is the recourse?...

If you are Harry and Meghan, how do you manage that?

The answer for the practical part is asthonishing simple: To watch and protect someone's persona in the internet is a typical job of public relation firms. The could hire one or an experienced worker for that.

For the personal part: They will have to learn to deal with it, like they learned to deal with the tabloids - thick skin, stiff upper lip and all..
Old 10-24-2019, 05:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Another thread has gone off the rails...before it gets cleaned up though. Has anyone mentioned that Meghan is on the cover or December 2019 Tatler UK?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B39c2guj...=11sgklbr7cpcd
Old 10-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Another thread has gone off the rails...before it gets cleaned up though. Has anyone mentioned that Meghan is on the cover or December 2019 Tatler UK?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B39c2guj...=11sgklbr7cpcd
Given how terrible the last issue on Meghan was...I am not sure I will read this one. But this is her second cover this year. In less than 6 months no less!
Old 10-24-2019, 06:02 PM
Majesty

It’s an old pic. Magazines do this all the time.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Zaira if the Wimbledon story was fake news, the DoS or her people could have and should have refuted it. Immediately.

As for the baby shower being exaggerated..not sure how that is possible. She flew across the Atlantic for a party that was attended by an impressive list of high rollers like Amal Clooney. It took place in the most expensive hotel in Manhattan if not the country. Hundreds of thousands were spent for the party.That is not an exaggeration. It is a documented fact.

I guess I don't understand why Harry or someone didn't warn her against this in the first place?? A wealthy member of the British Royal family-of which Meghan became once she married Harry does not need a baby shower. The optics were TERRIBLE, and coming on the heels of never ending stories about the mass exodus of Sussex staff and exorbitant clothes expenses, it was a prime example of an UNFORCED ERROR.

It could have easily been avoided, and it should have been.
Well, I dont think the team acted without her consent either.....

As for the expensive baby shower ,they all act the same in some innstances entitled, I dont meant that as a dig thats how they grew up. Even if they were advised before hand, Prince Harry grew up along with other royals having lavish parties, etc Why wouldnt he do that for his family and think that normal celabrating it with excess. While its abnormal for us to spend so much its normal for them, and yes comes off wrong
Old 10-24-2019, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Yes, Harry seems to be much like his mother and I too am seeing the similarities. I think Harry is too close to the situation to see the parallels, but I agree they are there.

I noticed parallels pretty early on as well and ironically Harry and Meghan are making some similar mistakes to what Charles and Diana did by taking on too much too soon. People keep saying they are under stress because they just got married and just had a baby; well no one told them to rush to have a baby so soon after they walked down the aisle? This was a mistake Charles and Diana made which added stress to their already stressful situations; I understand Meghan was kinda on a deadline but rushing to get pregnant is something they chose to do so they could guarantee having at least one child. OTOP Meghan having her friends talk to the media on her behalf is just what Diana did in the early 90's and perhaps before then as well. I always rooted for these 2 but there were questionable things from early on about how they would function as royals most notably for me was Meghan doing that VF article; to me it screamed she just did not get the situation she was in.

Anyway I for one am on the side who things Meghan flying to watch a tennis match was a bad move; her friend was just playing a game the same game she has played hundreds of times before. Its not like she needed Meghan there for her first outing; there are many other ways that she could have supported her friend especially after she and her husband went off on the environment and saving energy.

The more I think about the parallels with Diana the more that come to mind:
-Complaining about the press while courting them
-Taking on too much too soon
-Making yourself the center of attention and taking attention away from another royal
-Distracting from the cause you are trying to promote
-Using a faceless public to try and garner sympathy
Coupled with that I see a lot of things that Meghan is doing remind me a lot of Sarah Ferguson and the way the media is treating her is like Sarah as well; she could easily become the new Sarah for the press if she is not careful. I worry that the press will start treating her like Sarah in the next year because of the antics that these 2 have pulled in the last week.

Harry and Meghan definitely need to listen to the advice of others but more than anything all they have to do is look at how Harry's family acted in the late 80's and early 90's and learn from the mistakes!
Old 10-24-2019, 11:21 PM
Nobility

I think this might be a more appropriate thread for this part of my comment:

The rhetoric around the BRF has really gotten rather vile with the Sussexes and the intensity at which it takes place is truly saddening at this point. I have had to take a step back from royal watching as even my mum is just disheartened by it all.

People can call it whatever they want, but this boundary, this internal voice that keeps people in check - has been seemingly non-existent with Meghan. She has not been deemed worthy of it - to be considered and treated as a human being. How ones stomach is not turning from it all is extremely concerning, tbh. Especially, if you are actually considering what the bloody heck this women is supposed to have done to inspire such intense hatred in some. Especially, if you consider that she has joined the BRF less than 18 months ago and was pregnant and then a new mum for almost the entirety of that time.

Recent developments don't seem to have led to any self reflection, if anything it seems to have reached a new level of a twisted perversion where people see the strain of the abuse and it makes them want to break the damn even more.
And then angrily blame the recipient of the abuse for 'having made them do it'.

It's all quite disturbing, tbh and I am EXTREMELY uncomfortable with people claiming to speak for the general (British) public when EVERY SINGLE official YouGov poll in the UK very much shows that the media narrative is extremely manufactured and not representative of the general public.

Examples:
poll on media treatment
poll on who in the BRF is treated the worst by the media
poll on the Sussexes' decision to take legal action

These paint a VERY clear picture and NOT the one people here are desperate to push to make their point.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:53 PM
Majesty

Thank you so much for this, Chloep.
I too have felt disheartened over the past weeks by the constant criticism of the couple coming from all sides, so much of it unfounded. These polls really do show a different picture and has made me feel much much brighter about how many Britons feel about the Sussexes.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:35 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Several posts have been removed as argumentative and containing comparisons between royals.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Happy Halloween! ��

“Wishing you all a safe and fun Halloween from our family (and our little pumpkin ��) to yours!” - TRH

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4SuZJFpXAr/

Lovely new picture of the Sussex Father and son as they wish Prince of Wales for his birthday today

https://www.instagram.com/p/B41zRstlfEY/
Old 11-02-2019, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Australian designer Dion Lee praises the 'Meghan Markle effect'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ect-label.html
Old 11-03-2019, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Please note that a number of posts have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...een-39415.html thread.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
A new upcoming documentary takes us through Meghan’s early years-
https://mobile.twitter.com/5_News/st...31508113551361

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-05-2019, 09:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Video:
A new upcoming documentary takes us through Meghan’s early years-
https://mobile.twitter.com/5_News/st...31508113551361
Can't wait to see a documentary that contemplates if Meghan might end up as President of the US!
Old 11-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Nobility

Wish it was airing in the US. Young girls need to see this. She was a voice for change from a young age and now, she’s an adult with a global stage. Very inspiring.

ETA: we have a group of young activists, in Flint, in the Native American community who started young and are doing amazing things in their communities. Much like Meghan.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

We all have different opinions about Meghan but one think we have to give her credit for is being a huge advocate on feminism and female issues from a very early age and that's a very admirable quality - we need it even more now, especially with some of the dangerous rhetoric and threats I've been seeing - and have been on the receiving end myself - on social media (particularly Twitter).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-14-2019, 04:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

What a wonderful picture, Charles looks so proud! I see a real resemblance between Harry and Charles here.

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry