General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's news is that they are moving out. A different building within the grounds of Kensington Palace is being prepared for them, so they will move out later this year.

So yes, there is a lot of credibility to the story that the Gloucesters were willing to let Harry & Meghan take Apartment 1. They didn't take up that offer but it seems it was made.

Even if the Gloucesters are moving, it doesn’t mean that their current home isn’t in need of renovations. Frogmore Cottage was going to be renovated regardless of whether the Sussexes moved there or not.

Even if the Gloucesters are moving, it doesn’t mean that their current home isn’t in need of renovations. Frogmore Cottage was going to be renovated regardless of whether the Sussexes moved there or not.

I don't believe anybody is questioning the pointless sensationalising by the tabloids. Not only will the old and new homes of the Gloucesters need to have money spent on them, so will FC, irrespective of who uses them.

Today's news is that they are moving out. A different building within the grounds of Kensington Palace is being prepared for them, so they will move out later this year.

So yes, there is a lot of credibility to the story that the Gloucesters were willing to let Harry & Meghan take Apartment 1. They didn't take up that offer but it seems it was made.

They are still living there and it will not be ready until later this year. Timing wise, it makes no sense. In fact, Sussexes started the renovation on Frogmore months before the renovation for the Gloucesters' new home started.

Nevertheless, no credible reports were ever made that the Gloucesters offered to move out at that time. The only report during that time was what Princess Michael of Kent said around the time Cambridges were looking for a home in London. And no, we don't know if specific offers were made to the Sussexes as we have no idea when or how this decision came about.

Last edited:

Yes... Jacqui challenged the idea that it was available. Clearly it was.

And both will need renovation although as Frogmore Cottage in 'recent years' had been used for staff; it would not have needed a complete overhaul had it not been for Harry and Meghan.

We still have to see what will happen to Apartment 1 (a renovation might be more than the renovation of FC - depending on the future occupants; but if it was destined as living quarters for a prominent royal couple they will have a hard time finding someone else now Harry and Meghan turned it down).

Where is the general goodwill, the basic well-willingness in British media? All this vitriol splashed out in British media, from Camilla to "Princess Pushy", from Diana to "Meghan Kardashian". Good heavens. I thought the British were balanced, gentlemanlike, well-behaved and would rather stiffen the upper lip than spout verbal diarrhoea. It seems I was so wrong. British media never fail to surprise me with their vile nastiness, their zest to inject poisonous evil in society. It is beyond belief.

Please don't imagine that we're all like the worst of our media because we aren't. I could write a long post about aspects of our media & what their owners & editors have to gain from bashing the royal family (particularly the women) but it wouldn't be deemed appropriate for this forum & would be deleted.

They are still living there and it will not be ready until later this year. Timing wise, it makes no sense. In fact, Sussexes started the renovation on Frogmore months before the renovation for the Gloucesters' new home started.

Nevertheless, no credible reports were ever made that the Gloucesters offered to move out at that time. The only report during that time was what Princess Michael of Kent said around the time Cambridges were looking for a home in London. And no, we don't know if specific offers were made to the Sussexes as we have no idea when or how this decision came about.
Temporary solutions could have been found, had the decision been to take Apartment 1.

And I don't believe that they did not take all into account last year. Of course, they knew that the Gloucesters were to move that wasn't something that came up after Harry and Meghan decided on moving to FC - that surely was on the table. The renovation of FC most likely was sped up because of the pregnancy.

Temporary solutions could have been found, had the decision been to take Apartment 1.

And I don't believe that they did not take all into account last year. Of course, they knew that the Gloucesters were to move that wasn't something that came up after Harry and Meghan decided on moving to FC - that surely was on the table. The renovation of FC most likely was sped up because of the pregnancy.
How do we know it was surely on the table? My understanding is that the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester have been living there as empty nesters for awhile. If they decided against moving years ago, we obviously don't know what happened to cause it. So, no, we don't know how that was to be handled in regard to the Sussexes. If they had to speed up the renovation at FC, it definitely wouldn't have made sense with Apartment 1.

As we saw with FC, renovations and plans start quickly once a couple decides to move. And the renovation for the Gloucesters' new apartment only started in January. They obviously don’t just sit around and get to it whenever on this front.

Last edited:
Perhaps The Sussexes didn't want to live at KP which may to them have more of a fishbowl feel as compared to FC which seems to be much more private.

I do wonder if The Gloucesters place will be used for offices and/or quarters for staff etc? I'm sure it will need a rehab before another family moved in and I can't imagine Eugenie/Beatrice being offered to live there with their families (when they have them). Going to be a long time before any of the Cambridge kids would live there (if ever).

Is it possible The Sussexes would get FC and The Gloucesters apartments both?

LaRae

Is "Hello!" the only magazine reporting on this?

I am of the mind that when the Crown Estate puts financial backing into renovation and repairs of its properties, its actually not with specific royals in mind but pertaining more to need of the property itself to keep them sustainable and livable into the future. Usually its far easier to go in and do a revamp of a property when it is between residents or empty but, as we see with Buckingham Palace, its being done bit by bit over a 10 year period.

From what I've read, one *third* of the Sovereign Grant is allocated to the maintenance of Crown Estate properties which is defined as "The Crown Estate is a collection of lands and holdings in the United Kingdom belonging to the British monarch as a corporation sole, making it the "Sovereign's public estate", which is neither government property nor part of the monarch's private estate."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...th-prince-harry-royal-family-public-image/amp

Not sure if this is true but I can see the Sussexes having an NDA. Having applicants sign it must be a doozy. The RRs won't be able to get an informant on House Sussex if a clause in the NDA is you talk, you're fired, you're outed and you're sued. Good luck getting a job if you're exposed as a snitch and no amount of money the tabloids offer
will be worth reputation and financial ruin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that anyone hired into royal service that interacts with the royals themselves sign a NDA when they are hired. It happens not only in royal circles but in many instances of employment from nannies to secretaries to personal assistants and so on.

I'd actually be very, very surprised if the Sussexes did not insist on a NDA at the time of hire.

Madame Verseau;2234356 [url said:
[/URL]

Not sure if this is true but I can see the Sussexes having an NDA. Having applicants sign it must be a doozy. The RRs won't be able to get an informant on House Sussex if a clause in the NDA is you talk, you're fired, you're outed and you're sued. Good luck getting a job if you're exposed as a snitch and no amount of money the tabloids offer
will be worth reputation and financial ruin.

Rob Shuter is as reliable as a dead battery. But the Sussexes having an NDA is believable.

I’d be surprised if there is a member of BRF that has no NDA in this day and age. If not, their advisers are not serving them well. It’s pretty standard, and certainly not “very special” as the person is claiming.

I am of the mind that when the Crown Estate puts financial backing into renovation and repairs of its properties, its actually not with specific royals in mind but pertaining more to need of the property itself to keep them sustainable and livable into the future. Usually its far easier to go in and do a revamp of a property when it is between residents or empty but, as we see with Buckingham Palace, its being done bit by bit over a 10 year period.

From what I've read, one *third* of the Sovereign Grant is allocated to the maintenance of Crown Estate properties which is defined as "The Crown Estate is a collection of lands and holdings in the United Kingdom belonging to the British monarch as a corporation sole, making it the "Sovereign's public estate", which is neither government property nor part of the monarch's private estate."

The Occupied Palaces are not part of the Crown Estate, but rather of the Occupied Palaces Estate, which is a separate Estate held in trust by the monarch.

I find it interesting that Piers refers to Frogmore Cottage as actually being “ a mansion” and not the dictionary definition of “ cottage” ( a small home in the countryside).

Although that is true, it just highlights that what looks like a mansion to us common folk might be merely a cottage by royal standards !

The term cottage has more then one meaning not just for royals. It often referred to a smaller property on an estate for housing staff or guests. Frogmore cottage is so titled as it us on the estate of Frogmore house, to distinguish it from the larger estate house. It's not a royals idea of what is big or not.

Meghan kardashia???? Yeah imagine that they both eat healthy, wear designer labels and marry well known men. Shocking.

I love how it all seems her fault. She wants to be a kardashian and live like this... Yeah because Harry never lived in a palace and had staff before. This was all her doing. Only the heir lives like this.

Look at Charles siblings they all live in counsel flats and pay their own way. :lol:

All we have is rumors the Gloucesters offered. And Princess Michael suggesting they should be willing. And piers claiming they already had a perfectly good home. Yeah a two bedroom cottage with a baby and nanny is very practical.

I have a number of friends who have worked for the BRF and still do (a family into their fourth generation actually). The only one who has ever been asked to sign an NDA was the one who became an under-butler in the 1950s.

Those who currently work for them do not have them and have been approached by media outlets to let out tidbits (and have been used by the royals themselves to get out information they want out there). The staff need to supplement their wages and leaking minor information with sometimes a biggie is a way to do exactly that.

These 'sources' are not all fabrications but are frequently the staff working for the BRF and often what is said is with the approval of some members of the family.

It would be unusual to have an entire staff with NDAs - and they are only enforceable in the UK anyway - which is why most of the BRF don't bother. They know that their staff can go to the US, Europe or elsewhere and do their 'tell-all' interviews and there is not one thing the BRF can do about it.

Last edited:
The term cottage has more then one meaning not just for royals. It often referred to a smaller property on an estate for housing staff or guests. Frogmore cottage is so titled as it us on the estate of Frogmore house, to distinguish it from the larger estate house. It's not a royals idea of what is big or not.

Meghan kardashia???? Yeah imagine that they both eat healthy, wear designer labels and marry well known men. Shocking.

I love how it all seems her fault. She wants to be a kardashian and live like this... Yeah because Harry never lived in a palace and had staff before. This was all her doing. Only the heir lives like this.

Look at Charles siblings they all live in counsel flats and pay their own way. :lol:

All we have is rumors the Gloucesters offered. And Princess Michael suggesting they should be willing. And piers claiming they already had a perfectly good home. Yeah a two bedroom cottage with a baby and nanny is very practical.

All this because they got a home well within norms in the royal family. In fact, the argument that they shouldn’t be given this because of their position is complete ludicrous as there are plenty of people below them on the totem pole that have bigger homes. And just to be clear, I’m not trying to say they should’ve been given a bigger home as I believe they got exactly the home they wanted. But it’s the idea that giving them one home of this size is so outrageous or that HM is indulging them that I take issue with.

Sarah Vine has weighed in with the same theme: all this money spent and the Sussexes don't give back (meaning not choosing one of them to be their mouthpiece and grant them exclusives) . Harry and Meghan have Omid Scobie and the editor of British Vogue to spread their news and platforms. They asked nicely and have been respectful. Hit pieces are not going to work.

Sarah Vine has weighed in with the same theme: all this money spent and the Sussexes don't give back (meaning not choosing one of them to be their mouthpiece and grant them exclusives) . Harry and Meghan have Omid Scobie and the editor of British Vogue to spread their news and platforms. They asked nicely and have been respectful. Hit pieces are not going to work.

I wish things like this will not be made as facts. Omid has gotten plenty of things wrong himself. Do I think aides at times brief RRs like they did the day after Tim Shipman dropped his article? Yes. Do I think he stays away from sensationalism, and that will, over time earn respect of press officers and readers alike? Yes, but it seems as does another freelancer among the regular RRs. As for Edward Enninful, it’s nothing but rumors published at this point by the same papers that published these pieces yesterday. And certainly, British Vogue isn’t in the same business as the tabloids, which is why they are respectful.

Last edited:
Even the Cambridges, not known as the biggest fans of the newspapers, host press luncheons.

I can see that being a reasonable request.

Perhaps if the press would stop biting the hand that feeds them, a civil relationship and even a luncheon would be possible? ;)

Even the Cambridges, not known as the biggest fans of the newspapers, host press luncheons.

I can see that being a reasonable request.

Also reasonable to decline meeting people who literally blame you for the sun setting. I completely get them wanting a press luncheon. Maybe they will get one once their household is fully set up this fall and everyone moves forward, but you can't help but laugh at their approach. You write an odd slam piece and then end it by saying "Please give us some attention." Just bizarre.

Perhaps if the press would stop biting the hand that feeds them, a civil relationship and even a luncheon would be possible? ;)

Perhaps the press viewpoint is that they are not being fed? A press luncheon seems like a fairly low ask, since it is something that is routinely done, and is a reasonably controlled environment. That obviously wouldn't be happening anytime soon, since Meghan is on maternity leave, but it's not an outrageous request.

Its a bizarre day indeed, but I do agree with Rudolph. A press luncheon would make sense and be helpful. Or a series of them. Now, its worth remembering that the press complained for years about the lack of access to the Cambridges so their press meetings must not be all that common.

Meghan is treated horrifically by the press, but I think she understands she needs them on side. Harry seems to be the one digging in his heels. But sadly, misogyny dictates that you must blame the woman for the actions of the man so...;

The Cambridges usually hold a drinks reception before royal tours at then a year end dinner with reporters. Everything is strictly off the record, obviously.

Believe it or not, William has even attended the press complaints Commission’s annual dinner

Perhaps the press viewpoint is that they are not being fed? A press luncheon seems like a fairly low ask, since it is something that is routinely done, and is a reasonably controlled environment. That obviously wouldn't be happening anytime soon, since Meghan is on maternity leave, but it's not an outrageous request.

I don't have a problem with a luncheon. My problem is with them writing an opinion pieces that purposefully twist facts and riddled with sexist views (it's all the woman's fault) and basically do a hint hint wink wink at the end of it. And if they want to talk about the fact that the press isn't being fed as an issue, then fine, talk about that. But don't conflate that with them renovating a house. Does this mean if they are appease the press, the amount of money spent is now all of sudden ok?

Regardless, can anyone tell me if this type of drinks or luncheon done regularly or just something that's done before a long tour? I seem to recall they are more typical as they gear up for a major tour.

Harry used to host happy hour for the RRs if there is time on his tours. I can't remember if they did it for the Oceanic tour or not, but they did come to the press section of the plane to talk to the RRs and thank them for covering the tour.

I don't have a problem with a luncheon. My problem is with them writing an opinion pieces that purposefully twist facts and riddled with sexist views (it's all the woman's fault) and basically do a hint hint wink wink at the end of it. Regardless, can anyone tell me if this is done regularly or just something that's done before a long tour? I seem to recall they are more typical as they gear up for a major tour.

Harry used to host happy hour for the RRs at some point on his tours. I can't remember if they did it for the Oceanic tour or not, but they did come to the press section of the plane to talk to the RRs and thank them for covering the tour.

Some kind of press reception/lunch/cocktail hour is common enough, usually when there is a tour, or some other reason that the BRF wants to sweeten up the press.

The bolded is SOP for the British tabloid press, and has been for at least the last 30 years or so. It's--for lack of a better word--gross, but it's also directed at anyone who comes into their sights, and not a special technique hatched for Meghan and Harry. They're just the (un)lucky targets right now.

During the Australian tour Harry and Meghan surprised the press by going to the back of the charter to thank them before they landed in Tonga. I remember Jobson speaking of it on one of the shows at the time.

So they will interact when they feel it is appropriate. Edwards has complained of the lack of access to Meghan before, so this isn't really surprising he bringing it up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom