General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DM has this on future plans

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...le-plan-focus-military-step-Royal-duties.html

Nice plan for a charity for UK & US military. I can understand the tie for Harry but Meghan never served nor has anyone in her family (although her father was of age to be drafted to serve in the Vietnam War). Her connection with the military was through her appearance in the USO tour in 2014. My mother was Navy and my niece and nephew was Army so I will watch this planned endeavor with interest.

^ About as credible as most of the Mail's tripe...

Last edited:
I doubt it. I can't see that their relationship is likely to be great, with Harry having walked out and left Charles struggling to find subsitutes.

Seriously :bang:

The Charles who has wanted to 'slim down the monarchy'? The same Charles who 'refuses to let his nieces work for the monarchy even though they want to'? Oh yeah he is struggling really hard to find replacements isn't he? I mean his siblings, his mother's cousins, his son and Kate. I mean the poor man is seriously going to cave under the pressure of doing it all by himself :lol:

If his plans to 'slim down' don't work out, there are other royals ready and willing to step up like his nieces. He has no shortage.

If he really was so desperate for his son not to 'abandon them' he could have insisted his mother allow them to be part time royals. Or he could have threatened to cut them off all together to scare them into staying. He didn't.

The Charles who has wanted to 'slim down the monarchy'? The same Charles who 'refuses to let his nieces work for the monarchy even though they want to'? Oh yeah he is struggling really hard to find replacements isn't he? I mean his siblings, his mother's cousins, his son and Kate. I mean the poor man is seriously going to cave under the pressure of doing it all by himself :lol:

If his plans to 'slim down' don't work out, there are other royals ready and willing to step up like his nieces. He has no shortage.

If he really was so desperate for his son not to 'abandon them' he could have insisted his mother allow them to be part time royals. Or he could have threatened to cut them off all together to scare them into staying. He didn't.
yes because he DOES want to slim down the monarchy he needs Harry. He does not want to take on cousins and nieces.. he wanted it to be his 2 sons and their wives, in due course, when the older ones retire. He is not a young man, Neither is Princess Anne. Edward is younger but hardly a youth. and the cousins are elderly. Going into the future, Charles clearly saw his sons dividing the duties between them.. and if one of them leaves, and he takes on some other relative, he will have to support that person probably for life..

yes because he DOES want to slim down the monarchy he needs Harry. He does not want to take on cousins and nieces.. he wanted it to be his 2 sons and their wives, in due course, when the older ones retire. He is not a young man, Neither is Princess Anne. Edward is younger but hardly a youth. and the cousins are elderly. Going into the future, Charles clearly saw his sons dividing the duties between them.. and if one of them leaves, and he takes on some other relative, he will have to support that person probably for life..

Or long enough for the Cambridge kids to grow up.

Charles wanted Harry to be part of his plan, he wasn't intending to slim down THAT much. Why on earth would he insist on Harry remaining when he loves him and wants him to be happy?

What other Royals do you see ready and willing to step up? Because I don’t see this long list...

Last edited:

This I agree with, but not your take on their relationship. Charles loves his son - ultimately he cares about him being happy even if he’s sad and disappointed that Harry has flown the coop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive me for not following their doings since they left, but an article in today’s New York Times, very unusual, regarding their last engagement had me gasping. It mentioned that the Sussexes had responded on their website that ,to paraphrase, they were being held to a higher standard than other family members who wanted to work in the private sector with their 12 month review and that they had no legal barrier to using the word royal outside Britain but would drop it anyway. WOW

Forgive me for not following their doings since they left, but an article in today’s New York Times, very unusual, regarding their last engagement had me gasping. It mentioned that the Sussexes had responded on their website that ,to paraphrase, they were being held to a higher standard than other family members who wanted to work in the private sector with their 12 month review and that they had no legal barrier to using the word royal outside Britain but would drop it anyway. WOW

Their website says this:

While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place.

While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.

Both of these things are true, but people will interpret this anyway they want. The UK has no jurisdiction over the word "Royal" outside the UK, that seems pretty logical to me. As is the choice the Sussexes made not to use it anywhere if they can't us it in the UK. That would be far too confusing.

Their website says nothing about a higher standard though, but people will interpret this any way they will.

I wish they will come back on royal stage in the next year, after the review has ended.

I wish they will come back on royal stage in the next year, after the review has ended.

IMO the review is in relation to the finances. If Charles is funding them just now, there is also the cost of the security then in 12 months time if the Sussex's are earning substantial sums of money these things need to be re visited.

Or long enough for the Cambridge kids to grow up.
Its hard to say. IN bygone Days, I think there was an implicit bargain that if a royal took on full time royal duties.. the King would help them out and provide a pension when they gave up or had to retire. I think if Charles DOES take on younger relatives now, he will make it clear that it is a temporary thing.. but the old style practice was that he would be commiting himself for life. And it will be probably about 20 years or more before George is old enough, has done military service and mabey taken on some kind of outside job for a time.

They possibly all had a meal together after the service or in the days that folow.

I thought they flew back to N Amer after the service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of these things are true, but people will interpret this anyway they want. The UK has no jurisdiction over the word "Royal" outside the UK, that seems pretty logical to me. As is the choice the Sussexes made not to use it anywhere if they can't us it in the UK. That would be far too confusing.

Their website says nothing about a higher standard though, but people will interpret this any way they will.
They are wrong. In many countries, including Canada, you need permission to use "Royal" as part of your brand name.

They are wrong. In many countries, including Canada, you need permission to use "Royal" as part of your brand name.

Might be, but not the UK governments consent and that is what they mean. Every country has it's own rules regarding this. I can understand they prefer to use one global name.

Let's not rehash the "royal" Discussion.

BTW I got such a Duke and Duchesse of Windsor vibe watching the video of them yesterday.

Posts that are off topic for the thread have been removed. Please stick to General News about the Sussexes.

Harry was apparently phone pranked by Russian hoaxers. He thought he was speaking to Greta and opened up about their move away from the BRF.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11144268/prince-harry-megxit-hoaxers-greta-thunberg/

Interesting read. And kind of shuts down this notion this is all on Meghan. Clearly not.

Wow....I feel sorry for Harry. I do love pranks, but not ones like this. They got him to open up and really they likely just made fun of him.

It sounds like leaving has been a hard thing for him.....it's not like he's just up and left and doesn't care about the life or family he's left behind.

Interesting read. And kind of shuts down this notion this is all on Meghan. Clearly not.

So [now] you're happy to believe a Tabloid ?

If this a truthful representation of the conversation, it really gives off an 'us against the world'-vibe; and, unfortunately, it seems 'the world' includes his own family. Because 'they are in sink' with the younger generation (those under 35) and the rest of the world/family isn't.

I do think they really want to do good but hope they don't overestimate their importance because that could either be a great disappointment or ruin what they intend to do (as that shouldn't be about THEM changing the world but just about changing the world - with sufficient respect for what his family represents).

There is audio on Youtube:

(it's from the climate change portion of the apparent call, not the BRF bits)

It certainly sounds like him.

Without commenting on what Harry supposedly said and what that says about him and Meghan I'd just like to say that I find it very odd for someone in his position and current situation to open up and be so honest to a 17-year old that I believe he's never even met. He should be more careful.

Surely he could not be this easily fooled? He gets a call from a teenage celebrity and her father but, rather than carry on a conversation with him, they ask him a series of invasive interview-style questions unrelated to their own line of advocacy?

Something is not as it seems.

So [now] you're happy to believe a Tabloid ?

Do I believe he got pranked? It’s believable. He wouldn’t be the first royal to be. They claim to have audio. No clue if true but if it is then those are his own words and not “sources say” that change constantly. So folks can listen and judge if it’s him or not for themselves. These prankers are pretty notorious and have got a few policitians.

Last edited:
I find this hard to believe. How on earth would it even happen? What, “Greta” or a fake representative somehow gets the landline number of Harry’s temporary residence, calls the house, and Harry talks to her? Twice? How would this happen? WHY would he go on like this to a 17 year old? Not just the bit about activism and climate change, but answering completely irrelevant questions about his family? It all sounds too weird.

'Prince Harry' tells prank 17 year old 'Greta Thunberg' that “small steps or giving out prizes doesn’t make any difference these days”

If this is even true: Invictus games hands out awards. They handed out awards at their most recent event at Endeavour Awards; is this all pointless to him? A bit hypocritical of him to say this when he is involved organizations that hands out awards/prizes.

Either true or I smell a lawsuit coming from The Sussexes coming soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom