The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 02:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
How is Elton wrong?

"To support Prince Harryís commitment to the environment, we ensured their flight was carbon neutral, by making the appropriate contribution to Carbon Footprintô"

He's made the contribution. The flight was carbon neutral.
thanks for the clarification, although the media did report that the company was carbon neutral. it is indeed the same company they chose to go to ibiza, so i wonder who offsetted those emissions then if the company wasn't carbon neutral to begin with.

in any case, the message is still quite obnoxious: 'we have money, and hence we can take as many private jets as we want for our private holidays because we can pay for carbon offset. for the rest of you, we are eco warriors and advocate that you take more environmentally friendly transport options, because clearly you are not as well connected as we are to have friends who pay to offset the costs of our kind of privileged travel'.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

IMO the issue is the claim of hypocrisy. We all know the royals tend to use private jets and we know full well they've been provided by friends before (W&K used the Duke of Westminster's private jet to take George to Balmoral for the first time).

I have no issue with them using a private jet, its just unfortunate timing coming so close to apparent remarks about protecting the environment.

Elton John's intervention will not help IMO.

Do we know when the Sussex's are suppose to be visiting Balmoral? I know we don't now dates in advance but there's usually a pattern to who visits Balmoral at certain times.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:24 PM
Nobility

I know one thing - I better see this EXACT level of environmental consciousness when ANY other royal continues to do this. As they all do this regularly - Andy just off to Spain. The Cambridges just back from Mystique. The Queen to Balmoral and back. Or the man who made environmentalism his most focal cause over the years yet is regularly listed as the most frequent flyer of them all, PW(I assume probably off to Mey next.)
Old 08-19-2019, 02:26 PM
Aristocracy

If they need to take a private jet, they need to take a private jet, fair enough - I think most people accept that.
But then they and their advisors need to think more carefully about which causes they support, and what advice and pleas they give to those who listen to their speeches - otherwise it becomes a bit of a 'do as I say, not as I do!' scenario, which annoys people and leads to critical headlines in the press.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Does that mean he made a monetary contribution to an environment charity or what, i am not sure ?
It means the flight had its carbon footprint calculated & Elton paid to offset it & make it carbon neutral. For example:
https://www.carbonfootprint.com/carbonoffset.html
Old 08-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Courtier

People can find hypocrisy in just about every cause royals (and other wealthy people) support if they try hard enough. Poverty for instance... Wealthy people have no business talking about poverty. Endangered wild life and hunting, oh the hypocrisy. Feminism, Meghan left everything behind to marry a rich dude. And yes I’ve seen people complain about all of these.
Perhaps they should just stop supporting causes to begin with.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
It means the flight had its carbon footprint calculated & Elton paid to offset it & make it carbon neutral. For example:
https://www.carbonfootprint.com/carbonoffset.html
So he paid for the flight then made financial contribution to carbon footprint charity.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Does that mean he made a monetary contribution to an environment charity or what, i am not sure ?
Some info from Wikipedia
Quote:
In the much smaller, voluntary market, individuals, companies, or governments purchase carbon offsets to mitigate their own greenhouse gas emissions from transportation, electricity use, and other sources. For example, an individual might purchase carbon offsets to compensate for the greenhouse gas emissions caused by personal air travel.
(...)
Offsets typically support projects that reduce the emission of greenhouse gases in the short- or long-term. A common project type is renewable energy,[6] such as wind farms, biomass energy, or hydroelectric dams. Others include energy efficiency projects, the destruction of industrial pollutants or agricultural byproducts, destruction of landfill methane, and forestry projects.[7] Some of the most popular carbon offset projects from a corporate perspective are energy efficiency and wind turbine projects.[8]
The Kyoto Protocol has sanctioned offsets as a way for governments and private companies to earn carbon credits that can be traded on a marketplace. The protocol established the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM), which validates and measures projects to ensure they produce authentic benefits and are genuinely "additional" activities that would not otherwise have been undertaken.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_offset
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how ďthe woman will pollute the bloodlineĒ and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 08-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
thanks for the clarification, although the media did report that the company was carbon neutral. it is indeed the same company they chose to go to ibiza, so i wonder who offsetted those emissions then if the company wasn't carbon neutral to begin with.

in any case, the message is still quite obnoxious: 'we have money, and hence we can take as many private jets as we want for our private holidays because we can pay for carbon offset. for the rest of you, we are eco warriors and advocate that you take more environmentally friendly transport options, because clearly you are not as well connected as we are to have friends who pay to offset the costs of our kind of privileged travel'.
They are royals, by definition they are privileged (tiaras, gowns, etc..), I don't get why H/M traveling by eco-friendly planes would be considered something extra, especially when the majority of the BRF lives in Palaces/Castles and have numerous homes. By royal standards, Harry and Meghan live more moderately with a 5 bedroom home and only one of them.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why the heck are they sitting back and allowing someone else to pay for their holiday in the first place? Show some self respect, please.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Why the heck are they sitting back and allowing someone else to pay for their holiday in the first place? Show some self respect, please.
So now the Sussexes are not allowed to visit friends who have invited them to their home? Wow.

When I was a child, we visited my father's best friend's summer cottage at the shore. We went to the beach and my dad went fishing on his friend's boat. This is the same thing, only at a higher economic level.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Itís called a favour. Granted, I donít own a private jet, but Iíve driven people home. Iíve had friends sleep over and I know plenty of people who have used friends living abroad as a nice and cheap place to stay. Perhaps this was a last minute decision on their part when Elton John and his husband offered a nice getaway. I really donít see why this is so awful. But me not getting the fuss seems to happen a lot in here.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
It’s called a favour. Granted, I don’t own a private jet, but I’ve driven people home. I’ve had friends sleep over and I know plenty of people who have used friends living abroad as a nice and cheap place to stay. Perhaps this was a last minute decision on their part when Elton John and his husband offered a nice getaway. I really don’t see why this is so awful. But me not getting the fuss seems to happen a lot in here.
It's called tactlessness. The taxpayer has just paid for the renovations to their house and now Elton John has paid for their Summer holiday. Meanwhile the British people are bracing themselves for the implications of Brexit. They are so out of touch it's unreal.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Itís called a favour. Granted, I donít own a private jet, but Iíve driven people home. Iíve had friends sleep over and I know plenty of people who have used friends living abroad as a nice and cheap place to stay. Perhaps this was a last minute decision on their part when Elton John and his husband offered a nice getaway. I really donít see why this is so awful. But me not getting the fuss seems to happen a lot in here.
I think the invitation might have been extended at the Premiere of The Lion King. Both Sir Elton John and his husband was there, and he was even seen whispering words of encouragement in Meghan's ear
Old 08-19-2019, 04:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It's called tactlessness. The taxpayer has just paid for the renovations to their house and now Elton John has paid for their Summer holiday. Meanwhile the British people are bracing themselves for the implications of Brexit. They are so out of touch it's unreal.
Would you say the same for any other BRF member whose home was renovated by the taxpayer and accepted the offer of a few days break at someone else's house?
Old 08-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:

And people who want to find fault, will find fault. You would have been just as critical if they had paid for it themselves.

This is also the type of criticism that makes me dislike this thread. Out of a haystack of good things these people do, there are just too many people who strive to find that one needle they can use as criticism.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Wow don't even know where to start. Sorry that you may not have real caring friends. I have been flown by a friend to Miami Beach for some vacations at his home, I have flown friends for a destination wedding room and board on me. That is what real friends are for.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Taxpayers didn't pay for the renovations to their home, which came from the Sovereign Grant in which the Monarch pays 75% taxes and gets to keep 25% (part of the 25% when to the remodel of their home). Other than that why is it 'tactlessness' for H/M when other royal families have gone on holiday this summer? Especially knowing the taxpayers didn't pay for that either?

Harry and Meghan are probably the most in touch royals of the group.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
And people who want to find fault, will find fault. You would have been just as critical if they had paid for it themselves.

This is also the type of criticism that makes me dislike this thread. Out of a haystack of good things these people do, there are just too many people who strive to find that one needle they can use as criticism.
I'm afraid that it is a haystack constructed of needles and it is getting bigger all the time.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Why shouldn't they go spend time at their friend's home? This seems like an strange issue to have with anyone. Everyday people do this. Not new to anyone.

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry