The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is a simple solution - don't pick causes you can't live up to yourself. I know people will think the royals should pick whatever causes they like, and of course they can. But they must also know and expect that picking something like the environment and then using private jets (with pretty good reasons to be fair) will look bad. It just does. Yes its unfair if that means they can't talk about something important to them (and indeed to us). Again, they can of course choose to talk about it anyway, but in doing some must accept the consequences. Charles got absolutely slated for travelling all the way across the atlantic to collect an award for his work for the environment and for using a private jet to travel on an "environmental" themed tour of South America. It certainly is nothing new the press criticising royals and others who use private jets when they speak about protecting the environment. Likewise (although on a different subject) Prince William was slated for talking of the need to stop hunting wild animals in Africa whilst being happy to hunt animals at home.

There is nothing new here.

Part of being a public figure is knowing there are some things the media will go after you for talking about.

The shame is that it drowns out the message and that, at the moment at least, it seems some of the things M&H talk about cause more aggravation in and to the media than they bring in awareness and education. There are lots and lots of other areas that H&M have genuine credibility and standing to talk about and IMO (and its only my opinion) its a shame some of the focus doesn't go back on to those causes.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:07 PM
Aristocracy

The discussion should not be about private jet of public transport but about them speaking ( preaching !) about saving the planet , not having more than two children etc and subsequently fly to the USA to have ( a rather) expensive baby shower, fly to Ibiza etc etc.
This is is as stupid as an article I read in a dutch vegan magazine covering nice vegan hotspots all over the world... From the Netherlands to Los Angelos... and most of them don't go sailing to the USA... so hypocrite

Old 08-16-2019, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The thing with me is that I don't think there's ever going to be a way to totally not ever leave a carbon footprint no matter who we are or where we go or how we get there. If leaving no carbon footprints anywhere was the goal, we'd have to revert back to the times such as portrayed on "Little House on the Prairie", use horses and kerosene lamps and cook our food over a hearth. Travel, anywhere of a distance, would take much, much longer and lets face it, the royals are always needed someplace today with a calendar of events for a week that span a lot of area to get to.

In this respect, I don't think its bad optics when Harry flies in a private plane to anywhere. When he talks about climate change, he's not saying that we need to totally move into a cave somewhere and give up modern technical advances that make our lives easier but to be aware enough to see where we *can* do things that at least cut down a bit on carbon footprints, preserving our natural resources and keeping our planet in a healthy shape for generations following us to live healthily.

Then again, an asteroid could be looming on a collision path with the Earth and we go the way of the dinosaurs or the ozone layer will collapse and we'll be bombarded with radiation from the sun. We need to keep calm and carry on and enjoy our planet but become aware of the changes that we *can* make in our everyday lives to ensure that the planet remains sustainable for human life.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 08-16-2019, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Harry never told anyone to only have two children. The twisting to make it that way is ridiculous. This is like when people came at William for talking about population control while Kate was pregnant. Another example of faux outrage against the royals. It just dilutes valid criticism of them.

Also Meghan's baby shower? Really... let's not beat that dead horse again.

I have to agree with tommy100 that the hyper focus to nitpick things while ignoring others is a shame and a major reason I feel a lot of the public are questioning the monarchy more than ever these days.

And a major current worldwide headline is not helping those optics.

Despite all that we have the summer winding down and everyone will be back to work. We have 3 confirmed tours of the Sussexes, Cambridges, and Charles/Camilla. Also the new looks of The Royal Foundation and the launch of The Sussex Foundation. So many new talking points to come.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
There is a simple solution - don't pick causes you can't live up to yourself. I know people will think the royals should pick whatever causes they like, and of course they can. But they must also know and expect that picking something like the environment and then using private jets (with pretty good reasons to be fair) will look bad. It just does. Yes its unfair if that means they can't talk about something important to them (and indeed to us). Again, they can of course choose to talk about it anyway, but in doing some must accept the consequences. Charles got absolutely slated for travelling all the way across the atlantic to collect an award for his work for the environment and for using a private jet to travel on an "environmental" themed tour of South America. It certainly is nothing new the press criticising royals and others who use private jets when they speak about protecting the environment. Likewise (although on a different subject) Prince William was slated for talking of the need to stop hunting wild animals in Africa whilst being happy to hunt animals at home.

There is nothing new here.

Part of being a public figure is knowing there are some things the media will go after you for talking about.

The shame is that it drowns out the message and that, at the moment at least, it seems some of the things M&H talk about cause more aggravation in and to the media than they bring in awareness and education. There are lots and lots of other areas that H&M have genuine credibility and standing to talk about and IMO (and its only my opinion) its a shame some of the focus doesn't go back on to those causes.
I agree with everything you've written - I'm a believer that one should practice what they preach (because otherwise, what they preach becomes redundant and meaningless); however it's also a pity that other causes the Sussexes are supporting get overlooked because everyone is so up in arms about situations such as this. There are some really worthwhile causes that get the two's support/patronage!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-17-2019, 07:58 AM
Majesty

As far as I can see, Harry is being treated exactly the same as his uncle, Prince Andrew, the previous "spare". He would have had to be a saint the pass muster to the satisfaction of our non UK and Commonwealth members.

The continual carping and moral outrage is both annoying and depressing. No action passes without a ****load of "buts", disecting every little thing until we are drowning in the minutia of nitpicking and ever present negativity.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Royal Highness

"There is a simple solution - don't pick causes you can't live up to yourself." That can apply to every royal in the similar circumstance. The Sussexes should not be held as the only royals that have done this.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Majesty

Pictures of Harry Meghan and Archie arriving in Nice France. The Sun exclusive

Read more: DUMBO JET ‘Eco-warriors’ Meghan Markle and Prince Harry fly on private jet again to France after gas-guzzling Ibiza trip
Old 08-17-2019, 06:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Harry, Meghan and Archie spotted last Wednesday arriving in Nice.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/974437...riviera-ibiza/

I questioned the other holiday story and this makes me think definitely was not true as I don't think they had two holidays in the span of a two days.

Archie getting big.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:52 PM
Majesty

I don't believe the Ibiza holiday story either. Quite a few snaps of the plane and Harry and Meghan at the airport going to the Riviera. Why none for Ibiza? Why no reports of sightings by fellow tourists etc? What villa were they in?Just a lot of assumptions made by some media outlets about Ibiza IMO.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Royal Highness

Yeah where are the pictures from Ibiza? They had no problem getting the pictures from Nice. Archie is getting big. A lot of security. Is it because no 6 and no 7 to the throne are traveling together or is there a unknown security concern?
Old 08-17-2019, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

Didnt the papers pull the flight log for the Ibiza flight(s) though?

Idc that they went on two trips, its August and a lot of people are on hols the whole month. But Nice and Ibiza are both very easy to get to on commercial flights. I just wish they would avoid the PR traps they can. Most of what is written about them is BS but some things they can help themselves on.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

All they did was pull flights and guessed it was them. They made that clear in the article that they can't confirm they were on them. Legal reasons no doubt.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I have to really laugh at all this back and forth about did they or didn't they go to Ibiza. I just remember that this is a couple that effectively flew under the radar for most of their courtship and were able to do it in private without anyone finding out.

They've proven that they've pretty much mastered the Fine Art of Stealth. It'll come in handy in their private life.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 08-17-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post

Idc that they went on two trips, its August and a lot of people are on hols the whole month. But Nice and Ibiza are both very easy to get to on commercial flights. I just wish they would avoid the PR traps they can. Most of what is written about them is BS but some things they can help themselves on.
There is only confirmation that there was a flight to Ibiza.

I agree that this seems like a PR trap. One thing I would consider is on their last trip to Nice while engaged, they had to block 3 rows of seats on the commercial flight they took if I remember correctly. I’m assuming that’s a call security made because, well, I don’t know who would do that for anything else. I don’t know if that’s possible during summer season. Or if their security would even be comfortable with that during high tourist months. Or the how the PR of that would go down.

Based on what I saw of the report on Meghan’s NYC trip, I think they are aware that there are PR traps at times, but security is a complicated matter and it’s not always up to them. They can stop traveling, but I don’t think that’s a fair thing either.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post

I think you put it well, in that "I just wish they would avoid the PR traps they can. Most of what is written about them is BS but some things they can help themselves on". This is especially so as they seem to have such a bad relationship with the media at the moment.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:08 AM
Royal Highness

I have real concern over the authenticity of these photos. The mans profile at the window looks nothing like Harry. The baby looks far too big to be 3 months old. And since when is Meghans hair blonde.
As a person descends from the plane wearing a hat the wisps of hair look blonde to me.
I don't believe its them.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:33 AM
Nobility

General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 -

The photos look genuine to me. Nice is a much busier place to land a plane so they simply got found out whereas Ibiza will have a number of private landing ports on a less built up island compared to Cote D’azur. Anyway It seems all their PR nightmares will be superbly managed by a groovy new handler:
Prince Harry and Meghan appoint high-flying diplomat to Team Sussex https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...re_article-top
Old 08-18-2019, 04:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think they need a new PR person big time! These new private jet pictures will do them no favours whatsoever!!
Old 08-18-2019, 05:45 AM
Majesty

I don't know about a groovy new handler but, on the strength of IG feedback to the original Kensington Palace site, there were deemed to be credible threats among the just plain ugly and racist posts.

We know that Megan was accused of tainting the royal bloodline and Harry of being a race traitor and I guess the usual death threats arrived in the mail. It is therefore hardly surprising that the Police acted accordingly and the security of Harry, Meghan and Archie was increased.

The first time we really saw the effects of that was when Megan and her two close friends went to watch Serena Williams play on court three (I think) and there was an ocean of empty seats around her and the RPO's were a little over-protective.

I don't think they have ever had to worry about specific threats against the BRF and they too are on a learning curve. It is unfortunate when ODP are inconvenienced by royal security measures.

That means they now need more seats on aircraft flying to holiday destinations and, since most ordinary people plan and book in advance, large blocks of empty seats would be as scarce as hens teeth. Bumping anyone would be a PR nightmare.

The necessity of flying privately when they are flying together has become the norm I think. Flying solo on commercial flights will still be doable but that is up to their PPO's.

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry