The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 08:41 AM
Majesty

I agree and I think being a relevant, "non-political" spare to the heir (even if that's fairly meaningless today) is difficult thing to figure out. And I am positive that "just make the same decisions the previous two generations did" is a non-starter in the modern world. Never-mind that the previous two generations (and Will and Kate as well) had lots of missteps as they figured their jobs out.

But I also understand why people are anxious. I like the Sussexes a lot and I support many of the things they seem to back. I think they have done much much good.

I just think there is a bit too much "have my cake and eat it" going on. Too much playing the royal trump card while wanting to be seen as everyday folk. Too much willingness to give flip answers (tweet style) that are easily misinterpreted in another context. Too much kvetching about how they are so wronged or about how others are not exactly like them. In my world we all get to make our own decisions and then live with them.

I've increasingly decided to just lay back in the weeds and give the Sussexes time to figure out their path. I am quite sure it will change and flex as changing seems to be what they do very well. I am willing to give them time and space. Rather than rabid adoration or loathing or microscopic analysis.

In ten years it will be interesting to see how all this works out.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I agree and I think being a relevant, "non-political" spare to the heir (even if that's fairly meaningless today) is difficult thing to figure out. And I am positive that "just make the same decisions the previous two generations did" is a non-starter in the modern world. Never-mind that the previous two generations (and Will and Kate as well) had lots of missteps as they figured their jobs out.

But I also understand why people are anxious. I like the Sussexes a lot and I support many of the things they seem to back. I think they have done much much good.

I just think there is a bit too much "have my cake and eat it" going on. Too much playing the royal trump card while wanting to be seen as everyday folk. Too much willingness to give flip answers (tweet style) that are easily misinterpreted in another context. Too much kvetching about how they are so wronged or about how others are not exactly like them. In my world we all get to make our own decisions and then live with them.

I've increasingly decided to just lay back in the weeds and give the Sussexes time to figure out their path. I am quite sure it will change and flex as changing seems to be what they do very well. I am willing to give them time and space. Rather than rabid adoration or loathing or microscopic analysis.

In ten years it will be interesting to see how all this works out.
I'm beginning to lean this way, too. The Sussexes clearly have the desire and the will to do good things, and I appreciate some of the causes they have taken on. On the other hand, they occupy positions of incredible privilege--designer wardrobes, friends with private jets, a luxury lifestyle and so on. It's going to be a challenge to walk the line between advocating for important causes and not coming across as blazing hypocrites, a line which Charles has frequently run aground on.

I'm also of the opinion that their social media has not always served them well, and they need to get a handle on how they are going to use it going forward.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In a way, coming across as doing great things and backing and supporting so many good incentives and causes does sometimes hit a snag in the fabric and they're finding out what works and what doesn't work. This, to me, shows me that Harry and Meghan are deliciously human. Us humans make mistakes, go through trials and errors but I have to give them an A+ for effort.

We know the Queen loves a goof up during an engagement as it relieves the boredom and repetition. Harry and Meghan are allowed also to have "ooops" moments and try new things and its not going to be the end of the world as we know it. They will find their stride in time and things will smooth out.

I think the secret is to remember that this couple is just as human and fallible as the rest of us are. At least when the rest of us goof up or things go not exactly the way we planned, all the eyes of the world aren't watching us. That is a perk, I think, we have.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 08-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

From what I’m seeing, some out there think, Meghan, isn’t allowed to do what other members of the royal family has done. Guest-editing a magazine, for charitable purposes, is what others in the family has done and they’ve even posed in the magazines. It seems like the opinion is, Meghan, isn’t allowed to do this for some reason. That’s why we’re hearing so much ruckus on the net.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Majesty

I think most of the criticism is about their approach to issues rather than the issues themselves.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
On the other hand, they occupy positions of incredible privilege--designer wardrobes, friends with private jets, a luxury lifestyle and so on. It's going to be a challenge to walk the line between advocating for important causes and not coming across as blazing hypocrites, a line which Charles has frequently run aground on
The point that you made is very political. In an unequal world we now live in, there are rich people living luxury lifestyle who are also supporting charities. And royals obviously belong to the privileged. Do you propose to change the system?
I'm sure it is a subject for an altogether different topic
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 08-01-2019, 10:52 AM
Nobility

Lawn bowling is associated with older people - a relation of mine who is in his mid-70s is a keen player - but that's probably because they have more time. I like the idea of Meghan taking an interest in it
Old 08-01-2019, 10:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I'm beginning to lean this way, too. The Sussexes clearly have the desire and the will to do good things, and I appreciate some of the causes they have taken on. On the other hand, they occupy positions of incredible privilege--designer wardrobes, friends with private jets, a luxury lifestyle and so on. It's going to be a challenge to walk the line between advocating for important causes and not coming across as blazing hypocrites, a line which Charles has frequently run aground on.

I'm also of the opinion that their social media has not always served them well, and they need to get a handle on how they are going to use it going forward.
Here’s the latest headline:

Backlash at barefoot Prince Harry and 'hypocrite Greenerati': Eco-warrior elite who turned up at secret climate change Google camp in 114 private jets, helicopters and mega yachts are mocked for leaving their own carbon footprint

This is the kind of thing you want to avoid lest you get labelled a hypocrite.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
The point that you made is very political. In an unequal world we now live in, there are rich people living luxury lifestyle who are also supporting charities. And royals obviously belong to the privileged. Do you propose to change the system?
I'm sure it is a subject for an altogether different topic
There will always be the Haves and Have-nots.

But what is irritating is when the Haves preach about what everyone else should be doing, while refusing to abide by it themselves.
They want to save the environment- as long as it doesn't personally inconvenience them. (Private jets, for example?)

So it isn't a shock when people call them out on it, and point out the hypocrisy.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I think most of the criticism is about they’re approach to issues rather than the issues themselves.
You, see, that’s just it! I really don’t see a problem with their approach to the issues.

I think there’s some that’s wary of the Monarchy approaching the end of The Queen’s reign and don’t want the the old royal firm to step into the modern age. It’s like they want to keep the royal family outdated because they figure that’s more of a safe place.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Nobility

It can look hypocritical, but their power to influence opinion derives from the fact that they are well-known, and well-known people generally lead lives of luxury because the two things go together. If an ordinary person living in a small house in a small town speaks out about something, however sincere and well-informed they may be, no-one will hear them. If Prince Harry or Meghan or George Clooney speaks out about something, it's all over the international media. I don't know why they all had to fly in on private jets, though! I went to Sicily on holiday last year - there are loads of commercial flights there at this time of year!
Old 08-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHat View Post
Interesting how the same story ran yesterday said it was William and Kate who were there and now its Harry?

Yes the DM seems to be very confused.
First they claimed the Cambridges were attending.
Next they had to claim that the Cambridges were NOT attending.
Now it's Harry who is at Google Camp.

C'mon DM you need to find a better source.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
There will always be the Haves and Have-nots.

But what is irritating is when the Haves preach about what everyone else should be doing, while refusing to abide by it themselves.
They want to save the environment- as long as it doesn't personally inconvenience them. (Private jets, for example?)

So it isn't a shock when people call them out on it, and point out the hypocrisy.
It's that fine line I was talking about, and one that Harry and Meghan will have to grapple with at some point, if they haven't already. They are not operating in a vacuum, and every choice they make has implications. For example, Meghan chose to do the guest editing gig for Vogue. That's fine and worthwhile, but Vogue is a magazine that appeals to and is largely read by people with an interest in (expensive)fashion and a lifestyle of very conspicuous consumption. It's more elitist than, say, Women's Weekly. Most of the women profiled in that editorial also occupy positions of a certain amount of privilege, even if the work they are doing is worthy. It's fair enough for there to be commentary about that, I think, and they will need to be conscious of the optics of their choices going forward.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Here’s the latest headline:

Backlash at barefoot Prince Harry and 'hypocrite Greenerati': Eco-warrior elite who turned up at secret climate change Google camp in 114 private jets, helicopters and mega yachts are mocked for leaving their own carbon footprint

This is the kind of thing you want to avoid lest you get labelled a hypocrite.
Prince Harry going barefoot is irrelevant & he doesn't have a private jet does he?
Old 08-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Yes the DM seems to be very confused.
First they claimed the Cambridges were attending.
Next they had to claim that the Cambridges were NOT attending.
Now it's Harry who is at Google Camp.

C'mon DM you need to find a better source.
Source of DM story is "a source" of Page Six. We live in a madhouse
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 08-01-2019, 12:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm more than glad that Harry is being active at the climate change conference. That is what matters to me. How he got there or how other people got there is irrelevant to me. Its a case of the good outweighs the bad. I am extremely happy that Meghan has found the ways and means to help Smart Works even more and has kept active during her maternity leave and that outweighs every other little thing about this incentive that fault can be found with. Harry didn't have to share that he and Meghan have decided on a family of two children. That's personal to them. Why they came to that decision is actually none of my business.

Keep calm, Harry and Meghan, and carry on. You're a couple that have the will, the passion and the means to make a world of difference wherever you go. That is what matters to me most.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The rumor that William and Kate were attending the Google camp was shut down quickly, so it’s curious that Harry’s attendance hasn’t been denied. Especially since more and more outlets are picking up on this story.

I’m leaning towards this being true. Harry attended in 2017, so it’s not impossible to believe he would attend this year. Plus KP hasn’t denied it (at least so far). Their response was, "This is not something we are commenting on.”
Old 08-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It can look hypocritical, but their power to influence opinion derives from the fact that they are well-known, and well-known people generally lead lives of luxury because the two things go together. If an ordinary person living in a small house in a small town speaks out about something, however sincere and well-informed they may be, no-one will hear them. If Prince Harry or Meghan or George Clooney speaks out about something, it's all over the international media. I don't know why they all had to fly in on private jets, though! I went to Sicily on holiday last year - there are loads of commercial flights there at this time of year!
The thing is, I’m fully okay with wealthy people being wealthy. I don’t feel the need to make the rich royals feel like they can’t talk about and help with everyday issues. I’m more interested in the royals and even celebrities putting their money and influence to work by helping those who’s less fortunate and who don’t have the luxuries the royals and others have.

The royal family have dedicated themselves to the charities and organizations they’re royal patron and president of. What Harry and Meghan, and the rest of the family, are doing is great work for others. They’re efforts shouldn’t be punished or dismissed because fly on private jets, helicopters and have a nice house and title.

Also, let’s not forget, Meghan, has been helping people since she was a little girl. She was raised to do what she’s doing. She just now have a more global platform and opportunity to do what she’s being doing for years.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Nobility

General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 -

Dripping with celebrities and carbon footprints: you couldn’t make it up.
Google Camp: Prince Harry 'delivers speech about climate change at secretive star-studded summit' | London Evening Standard - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4202986.html
Old 08-01-2019, 01:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think I'd word it a bit different and state "dripping with movers and shakers and deep pockets". That's what needs to be accentuated IMO.

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry