The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 04:29 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I think it was very ill-advised for Vogue to point out that she thought it would be 'boastful' to appear on the cover when Kate was on it not that long ago. It looks like a cheap shot even if it wasn't intended to be. Surely someone should have realised that wouldn't be a wise thing to say.

I think that wording may have been taken out of context; the full quote is “she felt that it would be in some ways a ‘boastful’ thing to do for this particular project.” Neither Meghan nor Vogue editor-in-chief Edward Enninful (who made the statement) are saying that it would be boastful for a woman (Meghan, Kate, or someone else) to appear on the cover of Vogue, or the cover of a magazine that they’re guest editing, just that Meghan doing so for this issue would be.

Which makes sense - if the theme is inspirational women who force change, then for Meghan to put herself on the cover it certainly would strike a boastful note. The way she’s done it, she’s instead highlighting women who inspire her - in line with the theme of the project. It’s not any criticism of Kate at all - when Kate was on the cover, it was a different project.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
British Vogue Editor-in-Chief, Edward Enninful, Interview about the Duchess of Sussex’s role as editor for Vogue’s September issue-
https://mobile.twitter.com/gma/statu...86154354503682

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-29-2019, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Not too keen on the cover but it fits in with the concept and aim of her interview well. It will be an interesting read!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Royal Highness

Here's the response from the authors of the book with the similar covers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffp...9fd338d939/amp

I feel uneasy about the request for Meghan to promote their book first. It comes off as "admit you copied our cover". And why aren't they coming after Vogue UK?
Old 07-29-2019, 09:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
And why aren't they coming after Vogue UK?
Because going after Meghan personally means they get more attention.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just checking in here after a very long day and catching up on the Vogue story with Meghan as guest editor.

With being a guest editor for that edition, I think we have to realize that this project was not Meghan's work only. In journalism, the editor assigns reporters to cover the news, checks for accuracy and fairness in the newspaper's articles and writes headlines. She most likely worked behind the scenes with the selection of women to feature but also took into consideration women that others on the project suggested. Just as with the "Together" cookbook, it was a joint effort that included the Duchess of Sussex as guest editor and meshes, IMO, with the focus on women and girls empowerment that she's going to be highlighting once their foundation is established and up and running.

One thing we do know now is that even on maternity leave, Meghan is getting involved in things behind the scenes and to me, that tells me she's ready, willing and able to embrace her royal role.

All in all, I believe it is a successful venture and will be well worth the read.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 07-29-2019, 11:35 PM
Nobility

It will be my 1st time purchasing British Vogue. I’m really looking forward to reading the entire magazine. Just seeing the magazine cover & reading the brief excerpts, brought back such fond Tig memories.

It made me realize how much I missed Meghan’s writing for her blog. Time flies quickly, it’s hard to believe that it’s over 2 years now since I received that goodbye, but thankful email from Meghan. Now I get to enjoy her work, in her new role for another project.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Here's the response from the authors of the book with the similar covers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffp...9fd338d939/amp

I feel uneasy about the request for Meghan to promote their book first. It comes off as "admit you copied our cover". And why aren't they coming after Vogue UK?
Probably because Meghan put together the Vogue cover and because she wrote an essay for 'The Game Changers,' so she is aware of what their cover looks like. I do see the similarities, so I don't fault the authors for acknowledging that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I can't judge the inside but after over a decade of being a fashion follower, I know a crap Vogue cover when I see one and this one belongs in that category.
I expect a bit more for the September issue, so I'm not loving the cover either. I think individual covers would have worked better. Having said that, I'm interested in seeing what's inside and reading some of the interviews.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:05 AM
Nobility

General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
There’s clearly going to be some rebuttal over this.

JAN MOIR: The cause Meghan Markle is supporting is the Me, Myself and I Foundation
Yes, I agree the optics are all wrong again for the ordinary taxpayer who won’t be buying this magazine or buying into anything it is saying from many of these supermodels and glamorous foreign actresses. It appeared a worthy effort until I saw the plagiarism around the Australian ‘Game Changers’ book and now the whole venture looks naff and copied.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:08 AM
Commoner

I think individual covers would not have been in the theme of the women chosen being forceS of change. It is not just about one person but collective action. I really like the idea and think the cover fits that. The multiple image cover is by no means a unique concept so I'm not sure why the authors feel they are being plagiarised. They almost definitely got the idea from other magazine/book covers too. Which is totally fine.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I’ve got zero problems with Meghan guest editing, Charles, Kate and Henry have all done it and this platform makes sense.

However I do agree with Cepe on Twitter, I think it would have been a far better idea considering the choice of cover and content to be a guest editor for American Vogue. Much larger readership and it was garner a lot more attention.

For anyone that counters with the, Meghans married to Henry in the UK now. This cover & story isn’t about Meghan though is it, it’s about Forces for Change.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Maybe this belongs in the roles thread but I think in the current climate people in UK want to see Meghan doing the bread & butter work and not another celebrity project. The Vogue project is something almost all royals have done one way or the other but it will certainly not improve Meghan's image at this stage.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Maybe this belongs in the roles thread but I think in the current climate people in UK want to see Meghan doing the bread & butter work and not another celebrity project. The Vogue project is something almost all royals have done one way or the other but it will certainly not improve Meghan's image at this stage.
Personally I don't think Meghan needs to improve her image, though. Jmho.

And had Meghan done the Vogue US, she would be criticized for not doing it on a UK based publication. I'm 100% sure of that.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:14 AM
Majesty

I agree. I think Meghan would have come under immense criticism for not guest editing Vogue UK. I do think she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't by some whatever project she chooses, so she may as well do something that interests and inspires her.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:35 AM
Aristocracy

I have to laugh to myself because of course anything Meghan does she will be criticised for it. If Meghan did American Vogue, those same people would criticise her for using her 'Hollywood' connections and remind her she is a British royal now. So I am glad she went with British Vogue.

People are saying this is another 'celebrity' endeavor. What were the other ones? The Together Cookbook? Are the women who contributed to that are celebs? No they are women who lost everything in a tragedy and the proceeds to that book helped those women get qualifications and keep that kitchen and endeavour financially stable for the time being. People had a problem with that initiative because the people it helped were marginalised minorities. Again Meghan is accused of making it about herself despite the fact it was her idea and she only wrote the forward amongst other things.

As for the women complaining about her 'stealing' the layout of their book. Collage covers are not original but sure go off! I will be buying a copy or ten of this issue because it is not about fashion but so much more.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I’ve got zero problems with Meghan guest editing, Charles, Kate and Henry have all done it and this platform makes sense.

However I do agree with Cepe on Twitter, I think it would have been a far better idea considering the choice of cover and content to be a guest editor for American Vogue. Much larger readership and it was garner a lot more attention.

For anyone that counters with the, Meghans married to Henry in the UK now. This cover & story isn’t about Meghan though is it, it’s about Forces for Change.

Considering the amount of criticism she gets for not wearing British clothes, what do you think would have happened if this had been printed in Vogue USA? I can already imagine the comments here not to mention the articles in the likes of the DM.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The Duchess of Sussex's unabashed support for all things woke is fraught with risks. By aligning herself with the political Left, the Duchess threatens the Royal Family's neutrality
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...mpression=true

A pretty good take from the Telegraph. I think if Meghan truly wanted to be ‘inclusive’ she would have chosen people from across the political spectrum. Maybe even a few men.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Considering the amount of criticism she gets for not wearing British clothes, what do you think would have happened if this had been printed in Vogue USA? I can already imagine the comments here not to mention the articles in the likes of the DM.

She’s getting criticised now, on here and in a variety of articles (all BS as well), so what’s the difference. Might as well reach a larger audience.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:12 AM
Serene Highness

I might be slow on the info pouring in, but who has had the time and energy to check on how left or not left these women are politically inclined? I mean, I didn't see one political comment from any of these women in any of the coverage. Is there some assumptions being made about "left" politics, or is any of it based on actual words said by these 15 women?
Old 07-30-2019, 04:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
Yes, I agree the optics are all wrong again for the ordinary taxpayer who won’t be buying this magazine or buying into anything it is saying from many of these supermodels and glamorous foreign actresses. It appeared a worthy effort until I saw the plagiarism around the Australian ‘Game Changers’ book and now the whole venture looks naff and copied.
The term or phrase 'game changers', is as common as dirt as indeed are phrases such as ‘trail-blazing,’ ‘change-makers’ and ‘fearless women’. To claim them for oneself in the whole wide world of publishing is hubris in the extreme.

I will take the opportunity to read the edition and if it floats my boat, that's great, if it doesn't? Well, that will be my informed decision and mine alone because I am not conceited enough to think I am the arbiter of what is good or not.

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry