The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2020, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

There is still an agreement in place. Although it’s only for certain things. Like they didn’t publish the photos of Kate from Closer and the photos of Harry in Vegas (although I believe one publication did break that agreement). There is also an agreement not to photograph William and Kate when they’re dropping off/picking up their kids from school.

Victoria Arbiter on the new photos of Meghan:

Quote:
@Victoria Arbiter
Amazing, Hugh. Pre-January 8th, photos like this never would have been allowed in the UK.
So I guess since they are no longer working royals, the UK papers are allowed to publish these type of pap photos now.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post

I can’t speak for Canada, but paparazzi in America are brutal, notorious...Real newspapers won’t cover them as in the UK, but tabloids will, and they’re shameless. Didn’t the U.K. media essentially agree not to cover William and Harry? That would never happen here in America. I remember Chelsea Clinton being mocked for being awkwardly preteen -
Given the smile, it is clear that someone does not have a problem with people taking pictures of her going about her business as a private citizen. Hypocrisy much?

This keeps getting worse. People are claiming that the pictures were taken by Splash News, an agency that celebrities call when they want to be papped for positive PR

Old 01-20-2020, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I hate the headline...not avoiding cameras

What does one expect her to do, hide away in the house she never leave heaven forbid she take her son and dog for a walk.
I totally agree - it's one thing to be photographed when out in a public space (and that element I hope is more often than not unobtrusive), the problem lies with how the photograph is portrayed as can be seen in the article.

It is good to see Meghan looking well and relaxed.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:29 PM
Nobility

Yes, this will be a major change and adjustment, particularly for Harry, who has enjoyed protection from this for the greater part of his life.

Carefully brokered deals with the Palace have protected William and Harry from paparazzi intrusion for most of their lives, with small breaks. They were protected by a formal agreement from all but major stories until they were finished with their education. Then there was a brief frenzy before each entered the workforce (Harry in the army and William as a rescue pilot), where they would get mobbed and pictures would be published when they were out, mostly at night... but since they have become full-time working Royals, they have once again been allowed to go about their day-to-day lives, by and large, without being bothered. The Palace makes deals that control this very, very well.

Now all bets are off, and Harry will be in a position he has not been in for greater than a decade: the subject of uncontrolled tabloid frenzy. This makes me sad for him, and I wish him the best.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:48 PM

If Harry thought leaving the royal family would protect his family, he is mistaken. Famous celebrities like Taylor Swift or Beyoncé have no normal life. It's a whole other level than other celebrities, and I think Harry and Meghan are almost as famous as they are. Very famous celebrities rarely leave their houses. When they travel they use motorcades and private jets. Paparazzi track their private jets and follow them from the airport. If Harry and Meghan want any privacy, they should not go to Los Angeles or New York.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:50 PM
Nobility

She looks good. Archie is a big boy. Wish I could see the pups, but I’m not giving the Sun clicks.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

So happy to see these pix, I shouldn't as they were taken by paparazzi but….
Old 01-20-2020, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

May be total coincidence (and I hope it is), but interesting timing on the paparazzi photo.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
May be total coincidence (and I hope it is), but interesting timing on the paparazzi photo.
Oh...I think this was intentional. That smile does not look in the least like she was caught off guard. More like "Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my closeup"
Old 01-20-2020, 08:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
She looks awfully happy to be photographed with her son. I thought They left the U.K. so they could have privacy and protect their son. These two really are their own worst PR.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Yes, this will be a major change and adjustment, particularly for Harry, who has enjoyed protection from this for the greater part of his life.

Carefully brokered deals with the Palace have protected William and Harry from paparazzi intrusion for most of their lives, with small breaks. They were protected by a formal agreement from all but major stories until they were finished with their education. Then there was a brief frenzy before each entered the workforce (Harry in the army and William as a rescue pilot), where they would get mobbed and pictures would be published when they were out, mostly at night... but since they have become full-time working Royals, they have once again been allowed to go about their day-to-day lives, by and large, without being bothered. The Palace makes deals that control this very, very well.

Now all bets are off, and Harry will be in a position he has not been in for greater than a decade: the subject of uncontrolled tabloid frenzy. This makes me sad for him, and I wish him the best.
I think there may be an uncontrolled frenzy for awhile but all stories get old eventually, if the people involved let them. No one is so inherently fascinating that they can’t be left in peace the majority of the time. Even the furor surrounding Diana was the result of the never ending dramas in her life combined with her deliberately courting the press when she thought it would be helpful.

There are mid-level celebrities covered by the US press all the time. And there are celebrities whose fame dwarfs that of Harry and Meghan who you rarely see unless they’ve got a movie to promote.

I think whether Harry and Meghan are eventually left alone will depend on what kind of work they plan to pursue and what PR strategy they use to help them attain their goal of a more private life. There are teams in NY and LA whose area of expertise is helping people attain the right kind of attention when they’ve got a project to promote, while minimizing attention at all other times. I imagine the first rule of this strategy would be to make sure both your words AND your actions match up with your stated goal.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
She looks awfully happy to be photographed with her son. I thought They left the U.K. so they could have privacy and protect their son. These two really are their own worst PR.
She's an actress.....she loves the media attention to her as a personality and as to her career; what she doesn't like is the media attention to her life, which - in her position - she's going to have to deal with.

Archie doesn't look very comfortable.......
Old 01-20-2020, 08:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
She's an actress.....she loves the media attention to her as a personality and as to her career; what she doesn't like is the media attention to her life, which - in her position - she's going to have to deal with.

Archie doesn't look very comfortable.......
In other words she wants attention on her terms, which in her position isn’t going to be possible.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Let's move on please - this thread is not a platform to re-hash what seems to have been said endlessly on the "Stepping Back" thread.

Further, let's not create speculation as to what Meghan's thoughts were or intentions could be in terms of courting attention whilst outdoors.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:02 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Given the smile, it is clear that someone does not have a problem with people taking pictures of her going about her business as a private citizen. Hypocrisy much?

This keeps getting worse. People are claiming that the pictures were taken by Splash News, an agency that celebrities call when they want to be papped for positive PR
This was my immediate thought. If she didn't call them, she certainly doesn't seem to mind being photographed. Every pic we've seen in Canada has a broad smile.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:18 PM

The video is...awkward - so much more awkward than the photos.

I wish one of her security could've helped her with the carrier's shoulder strap that has completely fallen off her.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
It looks like the paparazzi photoshoots will increase given the massive coverage of the Canadian move. I hope I'm wrong.

Yes I believe that you are correct. I believe that there will be an increase in paparazzi style photos of the Sussexes now that they're out of the UK.

While I am pleased that Meghan is not hiding away, I was under the impression that this was exactly the type of situation that they were trying to escape from in Great Britain.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:34 PM
Serene Highness

I think Meghan was more smiling because she was talking to Archie..in the video she is clearly looking down and talking to him. Very sweet mama moment. Archie is VERY big now! He has grown so much. Also our first sighting of their second dog and our first sighting of Little Guy in well over 2 years.

And in general, just like how Kate would often smile when being photographed or other royal ladies, I think time, place, and manner matter a lot. Pictures on occasion and taken respectfully probably wouldn't bother Meghan at least. Pictures taken constantly, with rude words shouted, at close range or in dangerous situations, or in private places are one thing.

But Meghan being snapped on a public trail, well there isn't much she can do so might as well go on with it. She would have to call the paps like some want to accuse since they have been camping out all over Vancouver and near their rental from what some friends have said. One of my besties said their usually isn't this much media in Vancouver!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
I think Meghan was more smiling because she was talking to Archie..in the video she is clearly looking down and talking to him. Very sweet mama moment. Archie is VERY big now! He has grown so much. Also our first sighting of their second dog and our first sighting of Little Guy in well over 2 years.

And in general, just like how Kate would often smile when being photographed or other royal ladies, I think time, place, and manner matter a lot. Pictures on occasion and taken respectfully probably wouldn't bother Meghan at least. Pictures taken constantly, with rude words shouted, at close range or in dangerous situations, or in private places are one thing.

But Meghan being snapped on a public trail, well there isn't much she can do so might as well go on with it. She would have to call the paps like some want to accuse since they have been camping out all over Vancouver and near their rental from what some friends have said. One of my besties said their usually isn't this much media in Vancouver!
When did that happen? As someone pointed out in one of the topics. On their engagements they have encountered lots of enthusiasm everywhere they went. It might have happened a few times but their reception by the public (and the photographers on those engagements) has been overwhelmingly positive. So, I assume that wasn't the reason for their recent actions.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
When did that happen? As someone pointed out in one of the topics. On their engagements they have encountered lots of enthusiasm everywhere they went. It might have happened a few times but their reception by the public (and the photographers on those engagements) has been overwhelmingly positive. So, I assume that wasn't the reason for their recent actions.
I was speaking in the abstract, not about a particular instance.

And I don't think they have ever had an issue with photographers or at least not since the engagement. But what some refuse to see (and what is off topic for this thread) is that media can still be intrusive, bullying and abusive even if you are not physically being chased by photographers.

Edited to add: of course the tabloids (Sun I believe) did hire a drone to take photographs of their Cotswold home including photos through windows that showed details. That was one instance of intrusive photographer behavior.

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry