General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the clarification, although the media did report that the company was carbon neutral. it is indeed the same company they chose to go to ibiza, so i wonder who offsetted those emissions then if the company wasn't carbon neutral to begin with.

in any case, the message is still quite obnoxious: 'we have money, and hence we can take as many private jets as we want for our private holidays because we can pay for carbon offset. for the rest of you, we are eco warriors and advocate that you take more environmentally friendly transport options, because clearly you are not as well connected as we are to have friends who pay to offset the costs of our kind of privileged travel'.

You are right, that is the message that is coming over.

I find the whole idea that because you donate money to a charity it somehow offsets all the harm of 4 flights, all a bit airey fairey. How can money offset the damage already done. I don't care how many flights they all take, and who pays for them, this type of thing has went on for years, but do not try and explain yourself by saying it doesn't count because we donated to charity.

I find the whole idea that because you donate money to a charity it somehow offsets all the harm of 4 flights, all a bit airey fairey. How can money offset the damage already done. I don't care how many flights they all take, and who pays for them, this type of thing has went on for years, but do not try and explain yourself by saying it doesn't count because we donated to charity.

Money can't offset damage already done. If you use a private jet, no amount of money can take that CO2 out of the air within the timescale needed to reduce it. You can make the flight 'carbon neutral' in the long term but we don't have the luxury of time.

Carbon offsetting projects are very good & we shouldn't knock them because they are doing something positive. I think they are particularly helpful to businesses & industry as a temporary measure until they are able to reduce their carbon footprint drastically.

In Harry & Meghan's case, I think they are trying to be responsible and it's disheartening to see them constantly slammed for doing the same as other BRF members have done. However, the best thing they could do for the planet is to announce they won't ever use private jets for their personal use. I also think this is something the whole BRF should do because we know they use private jets for breaks & holidays. Their lifestyles have to change because we have a climate crisis - Prince Charles should lead on this as he's been the most high profile ecology campaigner for decades. This might also mean they all have to cut back on helicopters & private jets for official work and even on long distance travel itself. I won't continue because it would be off-topic but I'll reiterate that Harry & Meghan have an opportunity to represent their generation in tackling this climate crisis & they should take it.

You are right, that is the message that is coming over.

Money can't offset damage already done. If you use a private jet, no amount of money can take that CO2 out of the air within the timescale needed to reduce it. You can make the flight 'carbon neutral' in the long term but we don't have the luxury of time.

Carbon offsetting projects are very good & we shouldn't knock them because they are doing something positive. I think they are particularly helpful to businesses & industry as a temporary measure until they are able to reduce their carbon footprint drastically.

In Harry & Meghan's case, I think they are trying to be responsible and it's disheartening to see them constantly slammed for doing the same as other BRF members have done. However, the best thing they could do for the planet is to announce they won't ever use private jets for their personal use. I also think this is something the whole BRF should do because we know they use private jets for breaks & holidays. Their lifestyles have to change because we have a climate crisis - Prince Charles should lead on this as he's been the most high profile ecology campaigner for decades. This might also mean they all have to cut back on helicopters & private jets for official work and even on long distance travel itself. I won't continue because it would be off-topic but I'll reiterate that Harry & Meghan have an opportunity to represent their generation in tackling this climate crisis & they should take it.

> I agree, that whilst carbon offsetting is an interim step, they have absolutely no impact on actual carbon emitted on a flight.

> Is there a degree of hypocrisy in campaigning for the environment and using private planes? Yes, absolutely

> Can the use of private planes by people like Prince Charles and Prince William entirely be eliminated? No. I understand since 11 Sep 2001, Prince Charles has been advised to not fly commercially. I think William is quite restricted, but has a lot more freedom than Prince Charles.

> Can helicopter use by members of the BRF be reduced within the country? Definitely. Both for engagements around the country and from travel between royal homes.

> Do I consider the H&M's use of private jets for private holidays any more hypocritical than that of other members of the BRF? Not particularly, though I suspect they are not under the stringent advice from security services that Charles and possibly William is.

Last edited by a moderator:
"After creating a substantial carbon footprint, Elton John has donated a large sum to research the problem of people creating substantial carbon footprints.

He would also like to remind everyone of his connection to the late Diana, Princess of Wales, who tragically died."

This seems to be the general effect Elton's statement is creating.

Yes, and it is terrible PR.
As Tommy said, do not take up a cause if you do not embrace it yourself.
If you fly around on private jets, do not preach to others about environmental issues unless you are prepared to be labeled a hypocrite.

That way you do more harm than good.

An article on the same topic has just been published in the Guardian:
Why carbon offsetting is not the panacea Harry and Meghan might think it is
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...he-panacea-harry-and-meghan-might-think-it-is

Carbon 'offsetting' is merely a way of assuaging ones guilt - much like paying someone else to be faithful in their marriage if it was impossible for oneself...

Carbon 'offsetting' is merely a way of assuaging ones guilt - much like paying someone else to be faithful in their marriage if it was impossible for oneself...

Love the analogy!! ?

Every senior member of the BRF uses private helicopters and planes, but all the outrage is being placed on Harry and Meghan. Curious. Harry and Meghan were gifted a holiday. Their host not only provided a private place to stay, but purchased a flight for them on a private jet service that offsets their carbon footprint. Whether you agree that this helps or not, it’s something positive.

The outrage seems totally and completely ridiculous at this point. The Sussexes didn’t break the Earth. That was done by all of us. We all could and should do more, but if you are driving by yourself to work or the store and not carpooling or bicycling or composting or separating or any of a number of things that might roll back global warming, then why place all the blame on these two for living.

This climate change preaching and then flying around in private jets could make it seem like Harry and Meghan are saying "Since we are so rich, or know people who are rich, and can donate to charity to offset our carbon emissions, it is okay for us to fly, but you little people who don't have this luxury need to stop flying" It smacks of self-importance. I don't know if Harry and Meghan realize that it may across this way to some people. I truly don't think that is their attitude, but they need to start thinking before acting and they need better advisers. If they are going to do something anyway, regardless of what some people may think, they need to adopt the Queen Mother's mantra, "Never complain, never explain." Also, they need to tell their celebrity friend to stop speaking up for them. It usually makes it worse, as in this case.

Every senior member of the BRF uses private helicopters and planes, but all the outrage is being placed on Harry and Meghan. Curious. Harry and Meghan were gifted a holiday. Their host not only provided a private place to stay, but purchased a flight for them on a private jet service that offsets their carbon footprint. Whether you agree that this helps or not, it’s something positive.

The outrage seems totally and completely ridiculous at this point. The Sussexes didn’t break the Earth. That was done by all of us. We all could and should do more, but if you are driving by yourself to work or the store and not carpooling or bicycling or composting or separating or any of a number of things that might roll back global warming, then why place all the blame on these two for living.

Not all members of the royal family preach climate change to the same degree that Harry does, so that is why he is getting more criticism. Yes, Prince Charles does, but people are just not as interested in him as they are in Harry. Unfortunately, the more popular you are the more criticism you get when you don't appear to practice what you preach. I truly believe at this point that he went to the Google Camp because if he had not, Buckingham Palace or a celebrity friend would have denied it for them. I am not saying that Harry should not fly private jets, but if he is going to do so, then he needs to take it easy on his climate change crusading. I am not saying that this is fair or not fair, but public perception is everything when it comes to the royal family. Also, the tabloids have the ability to incite people. If someone reads a headline criticizing them for something, they may think about it and agree. Now, the tabloids have unfairly targeted Meghan (and Harry) in many ways, but this is not one of them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ink-latest-celebrity-defend-Harry-Meghan.html

Now singer Pink is coming out on Twitter supporting H&M, what is not helping at all. Celebrities defending royals not understanding that they are not the same: while celebrities are all about themselves, earning their own money with a successful entertainment career, royals are funded by the taxpayer and exist to serve the public.

Not all members of the royal family preach climate change to the same degree that Harry does, so that is why he is getting more criticism. Yes, Prince Charles does, but people are just not as interested in him as they are in Harry. Unfortunately, the more popular you are the more criticism you get when you don't appear to practice what you preach. I am not saying that Harry should not fly private jets, but if he is going to do so, then he needs to take it easy on his climate change crusading. I truly believe at this point that he went to the Google Camp because if he had not, Buckingham Palace or a celebrity friend would have denied it for them.

Why would a trip to the Google camp be kept secret, would this not come under official duties.
I don't understand the secrecy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49398852

How I wish the British 'royals' were more royal. They inherit a special and different higher status. It would be preferable if they did not consort so closely with people whose merit is simply billionaire wealth. It is more difficult to respect the British monarchy when it acts like TV celebrities.

I totally and completely agree. This is what gives them their mystique and that mystique is sadly going away. When we begin viewing them as nothing different than the next celebrity, they are not going to last very long.
Let's hope this just stays mostly confined to Harry and Meghan. I don't think they alone will break the monarchy.

Why would a trip to the Google camp be kept secret, would this not come under official duties.
I don't understand the secrecy.

I don't think this would be an official duty. It would probably be a private trip, but since it has received so much criticism, I would think that if he did not go, someone would have said so by this point. I could be wrong, though. :flowers:

Not all members of the royal family preach climate change to the same degree that Harry does, so that is why he is getting more criticism. Yes, Prince Charles does, but people are just not as interested in him as they are in Harry. Unfortunately, the more popular you are the more criticism you get when you don't appear to practice what you preach. I truly believe at this point that he went to the Google Camp because if he had not, Buckingham Palace or a celebrity friend would have denied it for them. I am not saying that Harry should not fly private jets, but if he is going to do so, then he needs to take it easy on his climate change crusading. I am not saying that this is fair or not fair, but public perception is everything when it comes to the royal family. Also, the tabloids have the ability to incite people. If someone reads a headline criticizing them for something, they may think about it and agree. Now, the tabloids have unfairly targeted Meghan (and Harry) in many ways, but this is not one of them.

Where is he preaching about climate change? Where are all these instances of lecturing on climate change that people keep talking about? It can’t be that one interview with Jane Goodall. It seems he tries to do his part and people have reported on his personal choices and called it posturing/lecturing.

If it isn’t fair, but expected because he’s the most popular royal, it’s still unfair to lay all of this at his feet while letting other royals get away with it. And yes, it’s unfair to target Meghan and conveniently leave out the others.

A very fair and balanced article which attempts to work out the impact of the private jet flights:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49408915

Sir Elton John has defended the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's use of a private jet. The singer said he provided them with his private plane for a visit to his home in Nice to "maintain a high level of much-needed protection".

Questions have been asked about the royal couple's use of private jets and their environmental impact, especially after Prince Harry recently said on Instagram: "With nearly 7.7 billion people inhabiting this Earth, every choice, every footprint, every action makes a difference."

Prince Harry and Meghan's trip to Nice was reported to have been on a 12-seat Cessna Citation Sovereign, which has a fuel consumption of 247 gallons per hour.

The flight time to Nice is about one hour 40 minutes, which would mean a fuel requirement of 411 gallons (1,868 litres).

The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) says 2.52kg of carbon dioxide are emitted for every litre of aviation turbine fuel burned.

This makes a total of 4.7 tonnes of carbon dioxide. For a return flight, it would be 9.4 tonnes.

The couple also reportedly flew to Ibiza this month, on a nine-seater Cessna - with slightly lower fuel consumption, but an estimated flight time of two hours 10 minutes. Using the same calculation method, it works out at 5.2 tonnes of CO2, and 10.4 tonnes for the return flight.

Again, as this more balanced article shows, the reason it is being discussed is due to the couple focussing on Environmental Issues of late- the apparent google camp, the interview with Jane Goodall, this instagram post https://www.instagram.com/p/BzWbKn1lW9h/?utm_source=ig_embed

I have absolutely no issue with them choosing to use a private jet, whether of their own accord or because it was offered to them. As a royal it is more secure (though we do see royals inc William & Kate and their children use scheduled flights enough to suggest their protection officers have no issue with it), offers more privacy and is more convenient. If someone offered me the chance to fly to my holiday on a scheduled flight or a private jet (if they were picking up the bill!) I'd choose a private jet. Then again I also wouldn't be making speeches and posting instagram posts to million of people urging them “With nearly 7.7 billion people inhabiting this Earth, every choice, every footprint, every action makes a difference.”

Criticising them for this is not racist, its not anti-american, its not suggesting they should put themselves at risk on scheduled flights, its not saying they have done anything illegal or that plenty of others royals don't do. Its about saying we should all do our part and then making repeated choices which are at odds with that.

Interestingly, very little of the criticism I have seen has been directed at Meghan anyway, its Harry who's been making the speeches. I find it interesting that Pink for example, quickly turned her post into a defence of Meghan even though there has been very little criticism of her over this from what I have seen.

I think Harry & Meghan (like many of us) are on a progressive path to being greener. None of us is perfect but it shouldn't stop us raising awareness with whatever platform we have. For most people that would be amongst family, friends & colleagues but for others in the public eye, a much wider audience can be reached. I don't consider Harry's words on the topic to be "lecturing". He's just trying to use his platform to publicise the issue. There's more he could do of course eg stop using private jets, only use zero carbon transport, stop eating meat & dairy products, don't have a 2nd child etc. Personally I'd love to see him do all of those things but the problem is that we shouldn't expect anyone to be 100% perfect before they can speak on any issue. Responsible people everywhere are trying to reduce their carbon footprint while encouraging others to do the same. Yes, we can point to hypocrisies but they are everywhere so if we're going to call them out, we should do it to everyone & not just the easiest targets.

My take on this is that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex can either lecture us on climate change and saving the planet.
Or they can use private jets to go on their summer holidays.
But they must choose which - they CANNOT do both.

I don't know much about the overall emissions information off the top of my head so I would have to do research on that before speaking to it. That being said people are acting like Meghan/Harry never take commercial flights and they have. Just like other royals including the Cambridges have taken private flights.

I think the focus on these two private jet trips is understandable, because it's contrasted in time with Harry's statements about individual action.

It's also easier to explain/understand on an instinctive level (private flights == a lot of carbon emissions) in a way that their much, much bigger carbon emission sins aren't.

Think about this:

But no, I think we were able to really have so much time just to connect and we never went longer than two weeks without seeing each other, even though we were obviously doing a long distance relationship. So it's - we made it work. -- Meghan Markle, November 2017

Between their meeting at the beginning of July 2016 and Meghan moving to the UK in November 2017, they were in a long distance relationship in which they never went more than 2 weeks without seeing each other. There are 35 fortnights in that period. Which means a lot of translatlantic flights. Probably, accounting for period where Meghan was having extended stays in the UK, around 30 flights between the two of them. For each flight, they were responsible for somewhere between 2 and 6 (depending on cabin class) tonnes of CO2. And that's leaving aside any trips to Africa, or the multiple security officers Harry had to travel with. At a minimum, over that 15 month period, they collectively were responsible for at least 60 tonnes of CO2.

The math is pretty staggering when you consider that the average Brit is responsible for about 6 tonnes per year.

So, yeah.. I agree that Harry and Meghan don't have a lot of room to talk about individual responsibility for improving climate change. But I also think that these flights to Nice and Ibiza are such a drop in the couple's bucket that they're effectively bread and circuses.

Well, in the old days they hung out with the likes of Noel Coward, David(now Sir David,) Frost, Richard Burton and Liz Taylor...it only seemed more glamorous perhaps because there wasn't the Internet Age when we knew every move.

I don't want to see the Cambridges and Sussexes hobnobbing with Beyonce and JayZ and the Clooneys either but these are the times we live in. And except for the older generation Royals like QEII and the DoE the line between celebrities and Royals is mostly gone forever.

The guest list at the Sussex wedding should have made that perfectly clear.:ermm:

ETA: I agree with the poster who said Sir Elton John is no mere wealthy celeb... the man is a legend imo

The Queen was just seen out lunching with her good friend, famed race car driver Jackie Stewart this year. The royals always had celebrity friends and they hang out with them when they have time to do so.

I don't know much about the overall emissions information off the top of my head so I would have to do research on that before speaking to it. That being said people are acting like Meghan/Harry never take commercial flights and they have. Just like other royals including the Cambridges have taken private flights.

None of this would be happening however without the Sussexes themselves being perceived as so preachy & woke. Nobody likes being lectured to. "Do as I say & not as I do" will not endear them to the British public.

Without the climate posturing et al there would be no criticism of the Sussexes use of private planes except for the usual grumblings about how the other half lives.

An earlier comment referred to HM using Sir Donald Gosling's yacht in an attempt to draw an equivalence between her & the Sussexes. Sir Donald is a Vice Admiral in the Royal Naval Reserve, he is most emphatically not a celebrity.

Sir Elton John's comments, along with those of other celebritis, are pouring oil on troubled waters.

Hopefully the Sussexes will now get on with their royal duties with a minimum of fuss. A masterclass from the Princess Royal or the Gloucesters might not come amiss!

But, again, there were many celebrities at Eugenie's wedding to Jack, at the wedding of William and Kate in 2011, and no doubt there will be many at Beatrice's should she marry.

Celebrities as in actresses and actors have been mixing with royals since the days of Edward VII when he was Prince of Wales. And the fact is that many of the showbiz guests at the Sussex wedding were people that Meghan had worked with like her castmates from Suits. Aren't people marrying royals allowed to invite workmates to their wedding? Everybody else does.

Exactly. Charity functions and fundraisers seem to be one of the "key" organisations/places where one can mix in with royalty and famous faces, so it's only natural that if they're supporting the same charity, royals will cross paths with celebrities and they'll get chatting and become close. Elsewhere, royals and celebrities will also tend to mix in the same circles via parties, education, etc. It's not surprising they'll have a lot of mutual friends.

None of this would be happening however without the Sussexes themselves being perceived as so preachy & woke. Nobody likes being lectured to. "Do as I say & not as I do" will not endear them to the British public.

Without the climate posturing et al there would be no criticism of the Sussexes use of private planes except for the usual grumblings about how the other half lives.

An earlier comment referred to HM using Sir Donald Gosling's yacht in an attempt to draw an equivalence between her & the Sussexes. Sir Donald is a Vice Admiral in the Royal Naval Reserve, he is most emphatically not a celebrity.

Sir Elton John's comments, along with those of other celebritis, are pouring oil on troubled waters.

Hopefully the Sussexes will now get on with their royal duties with a minimum of fuss. A masterclass from the Princess Royal or the Gloucesters might not come amiss!

Not true they would just find something else to complain about. Like the Vouge magazine that sent some over the edge even though Charles has co-edited a magazine and several royal women have on the cover of that exact magazine.

I don't get the celebrity issue either what they aren't able to have friends (most of whom both have known a while) because they have public facing careers?

I do think more people are criticising them than the usual constant moaners and that is because they feel there is an issue here. Again I would say people are having more of a moan at Harry than Meghan.

Charles got raked over coals for flying to NY to collect an environment award and for taking a private jet on a tour of the South Americas that had an environmental focus so I don't see a double standard in the reporting of this issue. It seems pretty clear if you are a member of the RF talking about the environment the next time you take a private jet you should expect a fuss. Again this is more a case of poor PR work IMO than H&M doing anything wrong.

I remember Princess Anne being asked about the environment once and she said something along the lines of we all need to try and be a little greener but we all lead busy lives so it can be hard. Something about the tone made it clear she knew it was tricky for everyone to do and so there was nothing to disagree with really, it just seemed less high handed and more down to earth. In some of the most recent "issues" it has clearly been a case of either being wrongly interpreted or poor presentation. Either way I hope lessons are learnt - on all sides.

I do think more people are criticising them than the usual constant moaners and that is because they feel there is an issue here. Again I would say people are having more of a moan at Harry than Meghan.

Charles got raked over coals for flying to NY to collect an environment award and for taking a private jet on a tour of the South Americas that had an environmental focus so I don't see a double standard in the reporting of this issue. It seems pretty clear if you are a member of the RF talking about the environment the next time you take a private jet you should expect a fuss. Again this is more a case of poor PR work IMO than H&M doing anything wrong.

I remember Princess Anne being asked about the environment once and she said something along the lines of we all need to try and be a little greener but we all lead busy lives so it can be hard. Something about the tone made it clear she knew it was tricky for everyone to do and so there was nothing to disagree with really, it just seemed less high handed and more down to earth. In some of the most recent "issues" it has clearly been a case of either being wrongly interpreted or poor presentation. Either way I hope lessons are learnt - on all sides.

I am enjoying the controversy and general kerfuffle about the Sussex sojourn in the South of France! Clearly, the general public and those on this Forum are thinking about climate change and its consequences so that this awareness in itself is already a victory for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. That they are being tarred and feathered for their use of a private plane is immaterial although unkind; dear Sir Elton means so very well and he has paid his dues to the environment: he says so himself! :lol: The other celebrities that are coming out of the woodwork to 'support the Duke and Duchess' are of course entertaining and totally irrelevant. What is important is that the point has been made and we can all go back to tracking Greta Thunberg's progress on Malizia II https://tracker.borisherrmannracing.com/
and admire Greta and her father's stamina in travelling without a carbon footprint while cheerfully booking our own holidays in a horse drawn camper:lol:

:previous: Good thoughts. Every time I see a empty plastic bottle, I keep hoping its a magic one and when I twist it, it turns into a pair of Rothys' shoes. No luck on that yet.

Even I know that my life would be impossible without leaving some carbon footprints or using things bad for our environment such as a plastic straw at a fast food restaurant or a styrofoam container to take left overs home in. I do what I can such as recycle everything plastic, glass and aluminum. I do what I can where I can. If I can't go 100% green, how can I expect anyone else to?

I think its the same for Harry and Meghan. There are going to be times where there is no "greener" option to take. If we're talking about the private plane trip, wouldn't taking a commercial flight the same distance leave the same amount of a carbon footprint? In our world, flight is a necessity and especially for working royals that have daily planners already filled in for months ahead.

If we're talking about the private plane trip, wouldn't taking a commercial flight the same distance leave the same amount of a carbon footprint? In our world, flight is a necessity and especially for working royals that have daily planners already filled in for months ahead.

If you fly commercially the carbon footprint is shared by all those aboard the plane meaning that your individual footprint is much smaller than if you fly private. There are of course a difference in the size of footprints because of for instance the size of the planes, but in general flying commercially means a smaller one.

Exactly. Charity functions and fundraisers seem to be one of the "key" organisations/places where one can mix in with royalty and famous faces, so it's only natural that if they're supporting the same charity, royals will cross paths with celebrities and they'll get chatting and become close. Elsewhere, royals and celebrities will also tend to mix in the same circles via parties, education, etc. It's not surprising they'll have a lot of mutual friends.

There is a difference: royals are always invited because of their function or their official role, they represent, and not because they are successful or knowledgeable about environment etc as private citizens or celebrities who have dedicated themselves to the subject (a la Leo Di Caprio).

And I doubt Pink etc understand the concept of royalty and how it is perceived in the UK.

What is important is that the point has been made and we can all go back to tracking Greta Thunberg's progress on Malizia II https://tracker.borisherrmannracing.com/
and admire Greta and her father's stamina in travelling without a carbon footprint while cheerfully booking our own holidays in a horse drawn camper:lol:
See Pierre Casiraghi's family topic on this issue; as, unfortunately, Greta's trip causes more pollution than if she had travelled by plane. Now the crews fly in and out of the States (from Europe) to make all of this possible. That's a lot more people than the two seats that Greta and her father had taken up in a regular flight to the States.

Although I fully agree that at least all of this inconsistency got people talking about the importance of preserving the environment :)

Its not very helpful in the long term for Megs to involve her best friends in a royal debacle. So it would appear to sadly (remember the friends’ magazine disclosures) that Meghan is authorising her closest friend and celebrity Jessica Mulroney to label all her critics on her and her spouse’s eco-credentials as “racists”
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Z82qCFXga/?igshid=9xg0e0x163r1

I agree. This is very unhelpful. I don't see how labelling all critics 'racists' is going to help in any way. While the criticism of some has racial undertones (or is outright racist); that doesn't mean that the criticism in general is racist.

I would hope that Meghan and Harry do pay attention to what is being said (of course not by reading every single detail but keeping track of the larger public opinion) and take it into account instead of putting it away as 'racist'; as that would almost guarantee that they will continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Friends confirming that all of this is just 'racist' is not helpful at all - although I somewhat understand how hard it must be for friends to not be able to 'protect' your friend against what you perceive to be unfair criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom