General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the heck are they sitting back and allowing someone else to pay for their holiday in the first place? Show some self respect, please.

So now the Sussexes are not allowed to visit friends who have invited them to their home? Wow.

When I was a child, we visited my father's best friend's summer cottage at the shore. We went to the beach and my dad went fishing on his friend's boat. This is the same thing, only at a higher economic level.

Last edited:
Why the heck are they sitting back and allowing someone else to pay for their holiday in the first place? Show some self respect, please.

It’s called a favour. Granted, I don’t own a private jet, but I’ve driven people home. I’ve had friends sleep over and I know plenty of people who have used friends living abroad as a nice and cheap place to stay. Perhaps this was a last minute decision on their part when Elton John and his husband offered a nice getaway. I really don’t see why this is so awful. But me not getting the fuss seems to happen a lot in here.

It’s called a favour. Granted, I don’t own a private jet, but I’ve driven people home. I’ve had friends sleep over and I know plenty of people who have used friends living abroad as a nice and cheap place to stay. Perhaps this was a last minute decision on their part when Elton John and his husband offered a nice getaway. I really don’t see why this is so awful. But me not getting the fuss seems to happen a lot in here.

It's called tactlessness. The taxpayer has just paid for the renovations to their house and now Elton John has paid for their Summer holiday. Meanwhile the British people are bracing themselves for the implications of Brexit. They are so out of touch it's unreal.

Last edited:

I think the invitation might have been extended at the Premiere of The Lion King. Both Sir Elton John and his husband was there, and he was even seen whispering words of encouragement in Meghan's ear

It's called tactlessness. The taxpayer has just paid for the renovations to their house and now Elton John has paid for their Summer holiday. Meanwhile the British people are bracing themselves for the implications of Brexit. They are so out of touch it's unreal.

Would you say the same for any other BRF member whose home was renovated by the taxpayer and accepted the offer of a few days break at someone else's house?

And people who want to find fault, will find fault. You would have been just as critical if they had paid for it themselves.

This is also the type of criticism that makes me dislike this thread. Out of a haystack of good things these people do, there are just too many people who strive to find that one needle they can use as criticism.

Wow don't even know where to start. Sorry that you may not have real caring friends. I have been flown by a friend to Miami Beach for some vacations at his home, I have flown friends for a destination wedding room and board on me. That is what real friends are for.

Taxpayers didn't pay for the renovations to their home, which came from the Sovereign Grant in which the Monarch pays 75% taxes and gets to keep 25% (part of the 25% when to the remodel of their home). Other than that why is it 'tactlessness' for H/M when other royal families have gone on holiday this summer? Especially knowing the taxpayers didn't pay for that either?

Harry and Meghan are probably the most in touch royals of the group.

And people who want to find fault, will find fault. You would have been just as critical if they had paid for it themselves.

This is also the type of criticism that makes me dislike this thread. Out of a haystack of good things these people do, there are just too many people who strive to find that one needle they can use as criticism.

I'm afraid that it is a haystack constructed of needles and it is getting bigger all the time.

Why shouldn't they go spend time at their friend's home? This seems like an strange issue to have with anyone. Everyday people do this. Not new to anyone.

I dont think all this celebrity intervention helps anyone except the celebrity’s own highly prize link to royalty. We have seen it all before with George Clooney & friends and now Elton, & btw private jets don’t make it more eco-friendly especially lately Sicily-Ibiza-Nice.

Meghan Markle private jet row: Elton John hits out and says he 'must protect' Diana's son http://shr.gs/W1ZGMMd

I agree. Whilst I'm sure Elton John was only trying to be considerate and defend his friend, it doesn't help the recent reputation the Sussexes have when it comes to climate change IMO. It only adds more fuel to the fire.

Heavens above! Meghan and Harry accepted a kind invitation from a friend for a few days holiday in the South of France. It wasn't even a week. The same arrangements from another friend might have been adopted for Ibiza (if they were there. I'm still not convinced they were.)

Friends once went overseas for the summer and at least three other families, including ours, used their seaside home for weeks at a time, with their permission of course. I also spent over three weeks when I was younger at another friend's house in Greece. Memo to myself and my family, then. We have no self-respect!

Last edited:

You may not know this, but members of the royal family are invited and hosted by their friends during the summer and winter months a lot. The late Duke of Westminster very often lend his private jet to the royals to go on private trips. None of this unique to Harry and Meghan.

A lot of this outrage Harry and Meghan are being bombarded with is pretty much insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taxpayers didn't pay for the renovations to their home, which came from the Sovereign Grant in which the Monarch pays 75% taxes and gets to keep 25% (part of the 25% when to the remodel of their home). Other than that why is it 'tactlessness' for H/M when other royal families have gone on holiday this summer? Especially knowing the taxpayers didn't pay for that either?

Harry and Meghan are probably the most in touch royals of the group.

This comes up time and time again and I get its off topic but surely we can all consider the money from the Sovereign grant as public money, otherwise why do the royal household release accounts every year?

"After creating a substantial carbon footprint, Elton John has donated a large sum to research the problem of people creating substantial carbon footprints.

He would also like to remind everyone of his connection to the late Diana, Princess of Wales, who tragically died."

This seems to be the general effect Elton's statement is creating.

"After creating a substantial carbon footprint, Elton John has donated a large sum to research the problem of people creating substantial carbon footprints.

He would also like to remind everyone of his connection to the late Diana, Princess of Wales, who tragically died."

This seems to be the general effect Elton's statement is creating.
This reflects badly on the whole country. Talk about bad optics...

Harry and Meghan accepted an invitation from a family friend to stay at his home in Nice. There's nothing shocking or remotely inappropriate about that, and I hope they had a wonderful time.

Where things get dicey is the use of a private plane when Harry has been pretty vocal recently about environmental issues. Elton John contributing to a net-zero charity is very nice, but it just emphasizes how much the rules are different when you are rich, or you have rich friends.

I also don't think either Harry or Meghan are well served in their celebrity friends taking to social media to "defend" them.

Elton John should not have made public that the Dukes of Sussex had spent a few days on vacation at his home. This is a private matter and it was a mistake to have been made public.

Elton John should not have made public that the Dukes of Sussex had spent a few days on vacation at his home. This is a private matter and it was a mistake to have been made public.

Sorry but I Don't agree… I think he was right to defend them !

^ But Sir Elton would have then passed up a golden opportunity to remind us all of his links with the late 'Peoples Princess', and that level of discretion and self-control is surely too much to ask of him...?

Last edited:
I should stop reading about this, because I think this counts my third post on the subject, but I've just seen that Elton also posted his statement to his Twitter page. Broken down into smaller pieces, it's even more grating. Altogether, it could potentially be read in a sympathetic light. Each piece is not so endearing.

When your work consists of serving the Commonwealth's people and working towards charity, for a friend to make a statement about how you deserve a break from your hard work... does not reflect well on you.

I am not discounting that Meghan and Harry's work is work. I am not suggesting that they asked for or endorsed Elton's statement.

But... their work is to serve many hundreds of thousands of people who work endless shifts and can not afford a weekend's vacation. Many people labour manually. Many will not be able to retire in a reasonable frame of time. Meghan and Harry's role is to serve the better good of these people. For someone in Elton's privileged position to say, essentially: They need a break from the very hard job of doing that!! Leave them alone!! ... Yes, people will not take that well, and they will associate it as coming from the Sussexes. Sure, when other royals go on vacation, that is essentially what they are saying (we need a break from this demanding role), but... nobody actually says it.

But neither Harry or Meghan have said anything about being overworked either.

And so Elton (and other friends) who after all know the couple, should just stand by and watch while their friends (and even celebrities and royals do have friends) smiling sweetly, while people they like get remorselessly slaughtered day after day, week after week, month after month by people who don't know them, without saying a darned thing, even when they have an explanation that they feel should come out? Some friends if they did that, and good on Elton for standing by them!

It was good that Elton John spoke the truth about the false info that certain media have been publishing.

I think the issue right now is that while some could have legitimate issues with hypocritical ways of the royals (and I have spoke of them myself) that for the most part the Sussexes are just attacked to be attacked.

It has that "cry wolf" effect going on. You can't constantly come at someone with nonsense because the one time you might have a point, no one will listen. Should Elton, Clooney or Ellen have spoken up? Some will say no but honestly I understand why they have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49398852

How I wish the British 'royals' were more royal. They inherit a special and different higher status. It would be preferable if they did not consort so closely with people whose merit is simply billionaire wealth. It is more difficult to respect the British monarchy when it acts like TV celebrities.

How I wish the British 'royals' were more royal. They inherit a special and different higher status. It would be preferable if they did not consort so closely with people whose merit is simply billionaire wealth. It is more difficult to respect the British monarchy when it acts like TV celebrities.

Sir Elton John's merit is not "simply billionaire wealth." That is laughable.

You may not know this, but members of the royal family are invited and hosted by their friends during the summer and winter months a lot. The late Duke of Westminster very often lend his private jet to the royals to go on private trips. None of this unique to Harry and Meghan. This is done for Charles, Camilla, the Cambridge’s, York’s and Wessexes.

A lot of this outrage Harry and Meghan are being bombarded with is pretty much insane.

HM has always been pleased when Sir Donald Gosling offered up his gigantic boat for royal cruises.

Well, in the old days they hung out with the likes of Noel Coward, David(now Sir David,) Frost, Richard Burton and Liz Taylor...it only seemed more glamorous perhaps because there wasn't the Internet Age when we knew every move.

I don't want to see the Cambridges and Sussexes hobnobbing with Beyonce and JayZ and the Clooneys either but these are the times we live in. And except for the older generation Royals like QEII and the DoE the line between celebrities and Royals is mostly gone forever.

The guest list at the Sussex wedding should have made that perfectly clear.:ermm:

ETA: I agree with the poster who said Sir Elton John is no mere wealthy celeb... the man is a legend imo

Last edited:
But, again, there were many celebrities at Eugenie's wedding to Jack, at the wedding of William and Kate in 2011, and no doubt there will be many at Beatrice's should she marry.

Celebrities as in actresses and actors have been mixing with royals since the days of Edward VII when he was Prince of Wales. And the fact is that many of the showbiz guests at the Sussex wedding were people that Meghan had worked with like her castmates from Suits. Aren't people marrying royals allowed to invite workmates to their wedding? Everybody else does.

The way I see it with Harry and Meghan spending time with Elton John in Nice is that it wasn't because of Elton John's wealth or his celebrity status or the fact that he had a private plane and is conscious of carbon footprints either. What I see is Harry and Meghan spending time with a family friend Harry has known for years through his mother's friendship with Elton. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it at all.

I just hope they had a wonderful time and I wouldn't be surprised if little Archie finds he has two "uncles" that now dote on him. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom