General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is true I think it is sad that this could not remain private, there are other areas of their lives that privacy could be debated but this is their private lives. Once again I qualify my words by 'if this is true ' they themselves will know who was aware of the details.The parts about asking for the same person, I do that, I have the same person colour my hair and do all my personal things, lots of people do that.

I agree Hallo girl. A person's grooming and self-care routine doesn't need to be public knowledge unless they're the ones who choose to share this personal information. IMHO.

How on earth can Meghan see the bowling green from her bedroom windows with all these trees in between? Pure fiction

I’m sorry, what is nonsense? There are reports he won’t to Google camp and lots of people are getting their panties in a twist over a supposed chartered flight, so my question is... is it certain he went. Or are people getting pissed off over nothing. It’s work related while their dogs name is private.
I was talking about his pedicure :D Sorry, I got wrong quote

Attachments

• Bez tytułu.jpg
    Bez tytułu.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited by a moderator:
I do think he likely did attend the Google conference, but its a pretty tightly controlled event so its not surprising we have no pics.

I think BP would have denied the story if didnt attend tbh.

When Harry and Meghan are on their own time, doing things on their own time and paying for things with their own dime, I don't feel its any of my business to know about it nor do I believe its reasons for pearl clutching and outrage.

This couple is not a dog and pony show for us to see and hear and cackle over every little thing they do or buy. Any one of us has the right to get mani/pedis anywhere we want to get one and if we have the funds, how much we spend is our own business. I used to splurge and get my hair done by Mr. Frank at his salon because he always did such a good job. My husband complained about the cost but then again, as he was the wage earner at the time (I was a stay at home mom), he kinda had the right to. :whistling:

Emily Andrews has an exclusive: Prince Harry prepared for his barefoot speech on climate change at Google Camp (to which he commuted by private jet & helicopter...) by getting his toes done. He & Meghan enjoy pedicures, massages & other treatments at posh Coworth Park hotel.

I must admit I had a laugh over this. Kind of like the time he shaved his chest for her.

If this is true I think it is sad that this could not remain private, there are other areas of their lives that privacy could be debated but this is their private lives. Once again I qualify my words by 'if this is true ' they themselves will know who was aware of the details.The parts about asking for the same person, I do that, I have the same person colour my hair and do all my personal things, lots of people do that.

I see no reason for a private visit by H&M or any other royal to a salon or a health club needs to be a news item. Not that I am condoning this, but just demonstrates that filling column inches in summer months must be difficult for journalists.

Good point Muriel, I had forgotten that July and August were the great disappearing time when Royals throughout the UK and Europe make a determined decision to take a break away where access is either limited or non-existent. The fertile imaginations are pretty well strained each year at this time.

I suppose Harry and Meghan will spend time in Scotland at Birkehall or Balmoral, possibly with many others of the extended family as each such holiday is an incredible gift as the Queen and Prince Philip seem to be aging incredibly well.

Actually, didn't H&M enjoy spending time up there in the glorious highlands during their engagement? Hmm, perhaps they spent their honeymoon there . . .

Actually, didn't H&M enjoy spending time up there in the glorious highlands during their engagement? Hmm, perhaps they spent their honeymoon there . . .

IMO, we have no idea if Meghan has or has not been up to Balmoral previously, and I am pretty relaxed with that. What H&M or other royals do in their private time is for them, and not our concern at all. We are entitled to comment on their professional lives (and to a lesser extent, their working wardrobes ?) as working royals, but IMO, there has to be a clear demarcation where the conversation does not veer.

I agree, as with the rest of the BRF they are entitled to their privacy and down time. However, there is no harm in wondering if they spent time with family. There is no demand nor expectation of an answer.

Not exactly the most prestigious award, can’t even get her name right.

Same can be said for basically every publication out there. They use Markle so when people google her, or twitter search, it will come up.

The awards are hosted annually by HSBC to honor people of color in different fields, as well as allies.

Top 10s 2019 – The Ethnicity Awards

I agree, as with the rest of the BRF they are entitled to their privacy and down time. However, there is no harm in wondering if they spent time with family. There is no demand nor expectation of an answer.

Last year they had just came back from their honeymoon but were supposed to have spent part of the week at the Castle of Mey with Charles and Cam during Charlie's annual holiday in Caithness

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...uzzling-super-yacht-Googles-green-summit.html
Prince Harry facing renewed controversy over his trip to Google's 'green' summit on a super yacht as Expedia billionaire Barry Diller reveals the royal spoke about saving the planet by taking fewer selfies at 'trampled' holiday destinations because of Instagram.

I'm not sure what the controversy is. It makes sense to encourage people with huge numbers of followers to be conscious of the effect their selfies have on the places they visit.

It's incredible to me that when people like Harry try to do something positive with their privilege, they're shot down instead of praised. All rich people are privileged & often hypocritical but I'd rather they used their position to benefit society & our planet than doing nothing at all.

If Harry hitched a lift in a private plane & then stayed on someone's yacht in order to speak to super-rich, influential people about how they can help our planet then good for him.

I can understand the desire to use their position for good but I can also understand why people think its hypocritical for Harry to talk about social media when he & Meghan have their own account with millions of followers. Likewise people often visit popular, well trod places because it is cheaper to do so, sadly we can't all afford togo off to Africa for weeks at a time.

I get Harry and Meghan want to use their position for good but there is a certain amount of do as I say not as I do. If, for example, Harry thinks social media is so responsible for destructive practices he could set an example and not have an account. It wouldn't hinder their official duties or stop them doing anything official.

Other royals are, of course, guilt of similar practice but this isn't their thread so please don't take this as me just singling them out.

I can understand the desire to use their position for good but I can also understand why people think its hypocritical for Harry to talk about social media when he & Meghan have their own account with millions of followers. Likewise people often visit popular, well trod places because it is cheaper to do so, sadly we can't all afford togo off to Africa for weeks at a time.

I get Harry and Meghan want to use their position for good but there is a certain amount of do as I say not as I do. If, for example, Harry thinks social media is so responsible for destructive practices he could set an example and not have an account. It wouldn't hinder their official duties or stop them doing anything official.

Other royals are, of course, guilt of similar practice but this isn't their thread so please don't take this as me just singling them out.

As I understood it, what Harry said wasn't so much about having a social media account. It had to do with what people use it for and the concequences it can have. For example, I believe last year there was a uproar about people with many followers taking selfies in certain nature reserves (I think it was in a certain river among fish). Those followers saw this and did the exact same thing which then disturbed a delicate balance that tends to exist in these places. People see cool selfies and want to copy without considering the concequences.

People tend to think famous people are being hypocritical when they bring attention to certain themes, because they don't like to be confronted with their own stupidity.

As none of us were at google camp we can't be sure what he said one way or the other. In general I think it would be best for Harry and Meghan to generally avoid any talk of social media while they have their own account with millions of followers and to avoid talking about travel while their job is to travel the wold. It is clear any talk of these things will be taken as hypocritical by the media and others. Rightly or wrongly.

I'll give you Elenath the benefit of the doubt that you weren't calling me stupid.

There is a story here about a sanctimonious elite that wants to school the rest of us in living sustainable while only doing so themselves as long as it doesn't impact their comfort and lifestyle. Harry, being part of said elite, should be called out for upholding the double standard, but that's not the main story here. The story is that we have a class of industrialists that are more than happy to let the earth burn to fuel their jetset lifestyle while pointing the finger at the rest of us for using plastic straws and wanting to take selfies with the monkeys at Gibraltar.

There is a story here about a sanctimonious elite that wants to school the rest of us in living sustainable while only doing so themselves as long as it doesn't impact their comfort and lifestyle. Harry, being part of said elite, should be called out for upholding the double standard, but that's not the main story here. The story is that we have a class of industrialists that are more than happy to let the earth burn to fuel their jetset lifestyle while pointing the finger at the rest of us for using plastic straws and wanting to take selfies with the monkeys at Gibraltar.

Very well put. There is a clear double standard at play here, and that is the key point that various people have attempted to articulate.

Whether it is hypocrisy or double standards or neither what surprises me is that they keep choosing causes and topics where it is clear the media will and can level those charges at them.

The job of royals is not to make headlines daily thanks to controversy (take note other royals as well) Its a shame we haven't heard so much from Invictus or the National Theatre patronage so much recently (I get Meghan is on mat leave).

There are areas of work where H&M have very good knowledge and are well received and its a shame IMO they don't choose to focus more on those where they can make a real difference.

It's the lack of self awareness that is troubling when royals and the ultra-elite wag their fingers at the rest of us for things like not living green enough, or following influencers on social media. That's a very tricky thing to handle, when they are living lives of conspicuous consumption themselves--private jets, large homes, multiple cars, designer clothing that is worn once or twice, expensive holidays and so on, not to mention Instagram accounts where there is an active attempt to increase the number of followers. Nowhere have I seen an acknowledgment of their own privilege, or their own over consumption of the world's resources. Perhaps in the future that is something that Harry can address, but until then, he will face criticism about hypocrisy.

There are monuments and religious sites here in the US that are sacred to the Native American/Indigenous People that are being trampled on and defiled by tourists. I completely understand what he’s saying. Instead of honoring sites, it’s all about the selfies. They can’t just admire the site and photograph it. They’ve got do more and it takes away from the significance of the locations.

There are monuments and religious sites here in the US that are sacred to the Native American/Indigenous People that are being trampled on and defiled by tourists. I completely understand what he’s saying. Instead of honoring sites, it’s all about the selfies. They can’t just admire the site and photograph it. They’ve got do more and it takes away from the significance of the locations.

I don't think it's hypocritical to ask people to be mindful of what social media can do. I use social media and I think there's way to much online bullying and too much focus on selfies. That doesn't make me a hypocrite. Same thing with the environment. I try to be more aware of how I live, but I still flew to NYC last year and the year before. I mean, I can't take a bike there. I'm aware of the thin line, but that thin line isn't just for wealthy people. I know someone who went to Malta on a honeymoon. Instead of flying there they drove and took a ferry. It took ages and I'm not convinced it's so much more environmentaly friendly.

I also still believe that while it may seem hypocritical to "normal" people, the wealthy and powerful are often the ones in a position to make a change. Or at least draw awareness to certain issues. If they aren't allowed to speak about this, than who is?

Speaking out is fine, and can be extremely helpful. I think it's great when royals and celebrities draw attention to important issues. It's the lack of self awareness that's the problem, not just for Harry, but for anyone else with a certain level of privilege, who then instructs others who are less privileged about what they are doing wrong.

Speaking out is fine, and can be extremely helpful. I think it's great when royals and celebrities draw attention to important issues. It's the lack of self awareness that's the problem, not just for Harry, but for anyone else with a certain level of privilege, who then instructs others who are less privileged about what they are doing wrong.

But who decides what “a lack of selfawareness” is. What might be enough selfawareness for me, might not be enough for you. I seem to remember Harry admitting he knows quite well just how priviliged he is. Is that enough or does he need to point it out in every talk and every interview. Because that is what it really feels like. And I can’t imagine Meghan (who never grew up wealthy) doesn’t feel priviliged right now. To me, it always felt like they said what they said , because they know they are priviliged. Same for William and Kate.

But who decides what “a lack of selfawareness” is. What might be enough selfawareness for me, might not be enough for you. I seem to remember Harry admitting he knows quite well just how priviliged he is. Is that enough or does he need to point it out in every talk and every interview. Because that is what it really feels like. And I can’t imagine Meghan (who never grew up wealthy) doesn’t feel priviliged right now. To me, it always felt like they said what they said , because they know they are priviliged. Same for William and Kate.

This is very true. For me, extremely wealthy and privileged people flying to an exclusive event on a multitude of private jets, and staying on luxurious private yachts and then talking about carbon loads, environmentalism, and wastefulness is irritating as well as laughable, and shows an annoying lack of self awareness on their part. Your mileage may vary, and that's fair enough.

Whether it is hypocrisy or double standards or neither what surprises me is that they keep choosing causes and topics where it is clear the media will and can level those charges at them.

The job of royals is not to make headlines daily thanks to controversy (take note other royals as well) Its a shame we haven't heard so much from Invictus or the National Theatre patronage so much recently (I get Meghan is on mat leave).

There are areas of work where H&M have very good knowledge and are well received and its a shame IMO they don't choose to focus more on those where they can make a real difference.

Harry attended an Invictus event back in May after Archie was born and Meghan has collaborated with Smart Works (her patronage) on a big project with high street British brands.

From what I can see with Meghan, she does not announce the start of a project. She ensures that all is in place before an announcement is made like what she did with the cookbook and the capsule collection with Smart Works. For all we know, she may be doing something big her other patronages. Wait and see.

While I agree with your point generally, Harry in this particular instance was drawing attention to their use of social media causing harm to a group of elites - if anything the people he was addressing are more privileged than he.

This is very true. For me, extremely wealthy and privileged people flying to an exclusive event on a multitude of private jets, and staying on luxurious private yachts and then talking about carbon loads, environmentalism, and wastefulness is irritating as well as laughable, and shows an annoying lack of self awareness on their part. Your mileage may vary, and that's fair enough.

I get what you’re saying, and I think for some (perhaps a lot of) wealthy and powerfull people it is hypocritical. But how else are we supposed to make a change if the powerfull can’t get together to discus it. How are we supposed to draw attention to causes like poverty if people Charles, William and Harry aren’t allowed to talk about it. If wealthy people talk about things that affects “normal” people there will always people who find it jarring. Just look at the number of people who tell famous people to shut up if they give their opinion about politics for instance.

There is no way that anyone on the planet is going to be able to totally go carbon footprint free. Especially those that are in a line of work where travel is a necessity. Even if four people carpool instead of one person in a car, that footprint is still there. Just less of them.

I kind of view the rich and the elite and deep pockets that can and do focus on the problems of our planet in the respect that "in order to make money, you have to spend money" kind of thing. Perhaps sharing flights and yachts did, in fact, cut down on carbon footprints more than everyone with their own flight and own yacht would. The idea is not to totally go carbon footprint free but to conserve the resources.

There's been only one social media craze that I've heard about (then again I don't use it too much) and that had to do with a mess of people descending on Area 51 for some reason. Once again, the purpose was not to tell people not to use social media but to be *aware* of some of the effects that social media can bring about.

I'm sure Sir Richard Branson's expedition to be the first to descend all the way to the bottom of the Great Blue Hole required the use of carbon footprints along the line but the impact it made with that crew making it to the bottom and finding a plastic bottle there was an eye opener for a lot of people that work to raise awareness that our oceans are cesspools of waste in spots.

So, all in all, I don't see using resources and making some carbon footprints as hypocritical at all. I see it as a venture to raise awareness among us all that there are things, big and little, we can do to protect our environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom