General News about the Sussex Family, Part Three: August-September 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry And His Duchess were very much needed , as Charles's generation of royal's and those older are slowing down . It will be at least 20yrs before George etc are able to step up to take the " slack " in public duties . Regardless of the "slimming down the royal family myth " , no way did Charles envision that the burden would fall totally on the family of William .

They were still claiming they were living at Mr. Perry’s house yesterday but today their story is Charles purchased it. Just seems the press desperate to still connect the family even if not true.

I doubt Charles bought their home. And whatever they spent is their business. Again, it’s actually theirs to do as they will. Literally no ones concern.

Last edited:
Buying real Estate is a good investment. Even better (when you have enough money) if you or a member of your family lives in that house. So does it matter if Charles bought it or not?
"The British taxpayer" should stop being judgmentally being interested in Harry & Meghan. They don't pay for them anymore, so H&M are now just private citizens the media has an unholy interest in. Charles may give them a part of Harry's inheritance already, so what - he has private money after all.

I did not read the book about them but learned from rather anti-monarchistic media that Harry had indeed reason to protect his wife from the Royal environment and the British tabloids with their claims about "the taxpayer" this and "the taxpayer" that.

And honestly, Harry was the spare of a new generation and, with William's children, is no longer needed as part of the working force of the RF. As lovely as that would be for me as a Royal watcher! But they did not mean a lot in the hierarchy of the RF as they were shown by the Royal establishment and so they resigned. They even would have been willing to work occasionally, but that was considered to be "an honour" for them and not wanted when they would live like private citizens.

I'm just sorry there was not enough patience in them to get a better deal, but considering the media and the people in Royal service who were stirring negative emotions against them, it was maybe too difficult for them. I find that I still can understand them, not as Royals, but as human beings and I hope they find what they are looking for in California and maybe can be convinced to work a bit for the RF later on.

As for little Archie: the climate in California is better than in London, he now lives in a gated community with other kids in a similar situation. Not like a poor princeling, but the son of two well-off public personas. More like his distant cousins of the former Greek Royal house who as well have an American for a mother and were raised there for a time. If I could choose for a future grandchild to grow upo like Prince George or Master Archie, I'd choose Archie's current life as well.

As a lifelong resident of California, I respectfully disagree with the bolded section. IMHO apart from the weather there is no difference between what Master Archie's life in the UK at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor could have been (not London) and in an exclusive gated community in California. Master Archie will always require security and his classmates and their families will be heavily vetted before enrollment. He's still going to be of interest to the paparazzi just like his Cambridge cousins. Comparing Master Archie's life to those of a non-reigning European royal family isn't the best comparison IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I agree with this. Short of placing Harry and Meghan with Archie into the witness protection program somewhere off the grid in Montana after extensive plastic surgery on all three of them, there is always going to be interest in them just because of who they are. Ordinary, everyday couples with children going to school have had to be overly cautious since the days I started kindergarten and with Archie, there's need to be extra specially cautious simple because of who he is.

I walked to school everyday (I know.. I know.. uphill in the snow. Both ways) where parents of my children's friends wouldn't allow them to walk home a block alone because anything could happen. That was well over 30 years ago too.

The Sussexes have a lot to consider. They want a "normal" life for Archie as much as possible but living off the grid somewhere and even homeschooling isn't an option as they also have to consider a "professional" life and they have ideas and goals of what they want to accomplish. Their solution of a gated community meets a lot of their needs as far as security goes which to everyday people like most of us, would be similar to having an indoor flush toilet compared to an outhouse. Its not being "posh" or spending millions when they could live cheaper, its because who they are comes with the *need* for the extra precautions as far as security goes.

The Sussexes have to do what is right for them as a priority. What we may think they should do or not do doesn't figure into the mix because until we've lived and walked a few miles (accompanied by security) in their moccasins , we don't really know what they *need* from what they *want* or *want to project to the masses*.

They do have the inherent right to shape their lives and the lives of their children however they deem it to be best all the way around. When someone just falls in line of what is "expected" of them and puts their own hopes and dreams and ambitions to the side because they'd "disappoint" other people "out there", you end up with a person that never is happy in his own skin.

My grandson graduated high school this year and the only words of advice I could come up from Gramma was "Create a life for yourself that you don't need a vacation from". In other words, do what makes you happy, fulfilled, pertinent to the world around you. This is what I hope Harry and Meghan are aiming for and will succeed in the years to come. I think this is what Meghan meant that "it's not enough to survive, you have to thrive". ?

Last edited:
They were still claiming they were living at Mr. Perry’s house yesterday but today their story is Charles purchased it. Just seems the press desperate to still connect the family even if not true.

I doubt Charles bought their home. And whatever they spent is their business. Again, it’s actually theirs to do as they will. Literally no ones concern.

I am pretty sure Charles bought the home. Charles would want to prevent Harry from having to dip into the principle of his trust funds and also if a divorce happens, Meghan is not automatically entitled to 1/2 the home because it belong to Charles not Harry

And I’m of the thought they didn’t want the BRF involved at all as it is their own investment and 100% their say. If you going to spend a chunk of funds into anything, property is the smartest thing. So I would be willing to bet it is their money. I mean look at you the burden Frogmore was — and that wasn’t even their home. This one truly is.

But of course we will likely never know.

Why is it such a big deal if Charles did jump in and help financially with the purchase of the home for the Sussexes? Its not that unusual for a parent to do for their child. My parents were in no way rich or famous or had bottomless moneybags but when I first married, they chipped in 10K for us to buy our first home. The logic is that they wanted both my brother and I to have the help we needed then rather than wait for an "inheritance".

It's not a particular bother to me, but I've seen a lot of sneering and harsh questions about how Charles paid for it. The Duchy of Cornwall is there to provide an income for the heir to the throne but I've seen a lot of "Taxpayers' money funding this during a recession" and other stuff. That isn't really how the Duchy works, but it's not necessarily helping anyone's narrative, except for Republic's.

imo P.Charles paying for it (or helping to) is much to prefer over 'friends' reaching out to the couple, helping them, flattering them...and then wanting something in return...
P.Harry doesn't strike me as someone who'd be on his guard with people like these...

It's not a particular bother to me, but I've seen a lot of sneering and harsh questions about how Charles paid for it. The Duchy of Cornwall is there to provide an income for the heir to the throne but I've seen a lot of "Taxpayers' money funding this during a recession" and other stuff. That isn't really how the Duchy works, but it's not necessarily helping anyone's narrative, except for Republic's.

Basically, I see it (and stating it bluntly) that its a lot of whining of the "have nots' complaining about the "haves" and how they spend their personal money as if its a huge insult to the "have nots" to afford whatever they can on their own personal income or even have parental assistance doing so.

The day someone steps in and tells me that I'm not allowed to buy prime rib at the butcher and should buy hamburger instead because "so many people out there are suffering", is the day I give that person a huge Bronx cheer and walk away. Reeks of being told as a child to eat all of my vegetables and think of all the starving children in China that are going without vegetables. Never did figure out how me digesting vegetables helped out some other kid's tummy.

The truth of the world is that you can have whatever you can afford. :D

Meh. People are always whining about tax payers for everything even if it’s not entirely true. They don’t pay for the weddings yet it’s always the main rant. People will ALWAYS complain cause the idea of regular folk paying for obnoxiously wealthy people is indeed ridiculous. But that’s the monarchy.

Well the Telegraph apparently can confirm Charles has nothing to do with this home.

“Harry and Meghan have purchased their first family home with their own money, the Telegraph has confirmed, without help from Prince Charles and, like most people, have a mortgage.”

They'd have plenty between them for a downpayment / deposit, but now there is a bit more pressure to start earning possibly? Although Harry likely gets a fair amount from his mothers inheritance.

Harry And His Duchess were very much needed , as Charles's generation of royal's and those older are slowing down . It will be at least 20yrs before George etc are able to step up to take the " slack " in public duties . Regardless of the "slimming down the royal family myth " , no way did Charles envision that the burden would fall totally on the family of William .

Charles? I don't think so, either. But for a lot of people on his staff list, Harry came very low on the list of opinions you should care about when organizing something. And thus, he and Meghan left. For the way the tabloids work, that was the second best option. Of course they would have preferred to be able to hit and cry for punishment for Meghan while selling papers with pics of her... But away with the American witch is also okay. They just miss Harry and Archie...:D

Its so easy to look at living in LA and automatically dub it as living "Hollywood". its easy to look at living in Santa Barbara and because some rich dudes live there, the rest of the area is "posh". Windsor with its castle and the various royal estates, doesn't specifically mean someone moves to Windsor and spends a lot of money on an huge estate.

Santa Barbara, like LA and any other town, USA have communities of everyday people doing everyday jobs and raising their kids in the everyday school system there. Most have a "posh" side of town but they mold in and blend in with everyday life. Most towns also have their seedy side of life area too.

Harry and Meghan have chosen where they want to live in the US. What they spent on a home, what their mortgage is like, is their business. For all we know, the place could have been gotten at a deep discount because of the work it needs and H&M want to fix it up. Whatever. The main thing is they've found a place to settle down and be a family and it happens to be the Santa Barbara area.

And apparently Santa Barbara happens to be one of the wealthiest communities in the US... I don't think that is a coincidence.

Edit: Wanted to check whether this statement that I read in an article was true. And it indeed shows up among the top-50 wealthiest places with extremely wealthy people in the community

Montecito is the 44th wealthiest place in the US; and the second wealthiest in the LA area (only Malibu is higher up). Santa Barbara is also one of 12 counties in the States with at least 4 people (including Oprah I assume and most likely Ellen as well) in the top-100 wealthiest people. See this Bloomberg article.

Last edited:

They WERE needed, yes, but I think the RF has to find a way to manage without them. but they knew perfectly well (Unless they are unbelievably stupid) that they were undertaking a lifelong commitment, doing a role that only a few people can do... They were supposed to be part of the 4 supports to Charles, as the other royals get older. Meg and H knew that, but they took the job and threw it in within a year or so... they didn't care that they were causing problems.. they thought they could do as they liked. A nd I suspect got a shock when the queen said no.
If they really didn't want the royal job, if they felt it was too stuffy, thought that they were not all that needed, then the time to say so was when they got engaged and they could have thrashed all that out, before the marriage,.
Of course, they mgiht not have gotten quite such a fancy wedding..or so much money from Bank of Dad... but -.

And apparently Santa Barbara happens to be one of the wealthiest communities in the US... I don't think that is a coincidence.

Edit: Wanted to check whether this statement that I read in an article was true. And it indeed shows up among the top-50 wealthiest places with extremely wealthy people in the community

Montecito is the 44th wealthiest place in the US; and the second wealthiest in the LA area (only Malibu is higher up). Santa Barbara is also one of 12 counties in the States with at least 4 people (including Oprah I assume and most likely Ellen as well) in the top-100 wealthiest people. See this Bloomberg article.

Actually doesn't mean a thing when it boils down to everyday life in the area. When the Santa Barbara Police Department gets a 9-1-1 call, they're not going to stop and check who has the most in their bank account before answering a call.

If the area is totally definable by the rich and the famous and the ridiculously wealthy inhabitants, they'd actually have to go elsewhere to find a local diner, gas stations, bistros and shops owned and maintained by the "everyday man" that's not wealthy. There's people from all walks of life living everywhere. Together. Big contrast even could be the south side of Chicago to those that live on the Golden Coast of Chicago and shop the Magnificent Mile of high end stores. And.. the kicker? There are people of low income that do live on the Golden Coast and walk the Magnificent Mile as their neighborhood every single day. ;)

Well the Telegraph apparently can confirm Charles has nothing to do with this home.

“Harry and Meghan have purchased their first family home with their own money, the Telegraph has confirmed, without help from Prince Charles and, like most people, have a mortgage.”

They should name the financial institution that gave them the mortgage. It’ll get a ton of business— after all there aren’t many lenders out there giving mortgages to the unemployed

They should name the financial institution that gave them the mortgage. It’ll get a ton of business— after all there aren’t many lenders out there giving mortgages to the unemployed

Ha Ha! When you have enough money and don't have to work for another day of your life, you are not unemployed but a privatier. Well-off privatiers of course get a mortgage.

Financial institutions don't give a fig if you're working or how much money you make a week if you have lots of credible "collateral" that ensures that the mortgage will be a viable one that'll be repaid. Harry and Meghan could be totally low income and retired like hubby and I are but with excellent credit ratings and years of stable business with our bank, we can get any kind of a loan from them anytime we'd choose to and have done so.

Although, I seriously doubt that any institution would give hubby a 30 year mortgage with their blessings seeing as he's 73 and would take living to 103 years old to pay it off. :lol:

Regardless of my feelings in this couple, if it’s true and they have got a house I’m happy for Archie because he needs a stable base to grow up in.

Sounds just right for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Polo for Harry, yoga in a pink salt cave for Meghan, [...]

A nice article about Santa Barbara.

(Actual house not yet confirmed, though I think it must be know to media with price details being published in some outlets. And descriptions of it being hilly, but with enough flat land for Archie to play.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...han-Markle-making-Santa-Barbara-new-home.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice they have their own home, truly. However, I am not sure how well it matches with Meghan's social justice agenda. This is someone who was quoted on People.com as saying "I know what it is like to have a voice, and I know what it is like to be voiceless." She was encouraging people to exercise their vote, which is a worthy endeavour, especially in the US. Her comment about being "voiceless" is cringe-worthy, given her station in life, her new home, her privilege. Even if it applied in her distant past, it hasn't applied for a long, long time. Unless it was a swipe at the BRF, which it might have been.

I am unemployed - actually retired, and had no trouble securing a mortgage for the coastal California home I bought eight months ago. If you put 20% down, or more, and have assets which generate income sufficient to pay the mortgage the bank will happily loan you money.
A few places have suggested this could be the home given it matches the price and selling time period
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Barbara/4225-Cresta-Ave-93110/home/21583415
The price is higher than the 7 million I’ve read they paid and it closed in May, not end of June, so likely too early. Of the houses that sold in the area at the end of June/beginning of July, I like this one https://www.redfin.com/CA/Montecito/1130-Garden-Ln-93108/home/21609415
I think Santa Barbara is a lovely area to settle in, I’m very happy for them. I hate the traffic and overtly consumption driven vibe of Southern California, Santa Barbara is far enough away to be out of the SoCal madness, it has a relaxed, beach vibe plus the ranching influence (my niece’s in laws have an avocado ranch there) and the university town ambience from UC Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara-Montecito is very expensive and exclusive. It has the most spectacular stretch of coastline on earth. The inhabitants go there because they value their privacy.

The Sussexes are fortunate to be there, imo.

Given how litigious they are regarding their “privacy” I don’t think it is a good idea to identify their actual home on TRF

Well, TMZ sound pretty confident they have the acutal home identitfied - no photos yet though.

Nine bedroom, sixteen bathroom, on five acres in gated community.

That shoots the property I posted about up-thread out of the water - this one sold for $14million US.

With such a media buzz about this house move, I think we will end up with photos.

I agree that Santa Barbara/Montecito must be marvellous, a great choice.

I actually have a book on my shelves, “Santa Barbara Style”, about property there.

Mostly full page photos of great homes with some descriptions for each house.

Although I’m not overly interested in American houses, this was such an appealing book I had to have it.

Very much in the style of similar books I’ve got about Ibizia and French Riviera houses.

Great escapism.

I think the Duke and Duchess have made a good decision about this area for their next stage of their life.

Last edited:
Given how litigious they are regarding their “privacy” I don’t think it is a good idea to identify their actual home on TRF
I don’t think the actual house has been id’ed, given the different estimates on how much they paid the press is reporting, it’s not possible to say which of the many houses that sold in that area recently is ‘the one.’ It’s possible it wasn’t even listed, sometimes if an agent is working w/ clients & an appropriate house is going up for sale they’ll do a sale w/out it ever hitting the MLS, & there’s no way to find those sales on the online real estate search engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom