Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May I ask a question widely relates to this, thank you.
I am origin from german Suisse and now live in France with an british husband, just to explain why my English is far from perfect.
When I read the tweet of Duke of Sussex saying, HM and the Duke of E. were introduced to the newborn.... I asked myself if this is the correct expression.
In Suisse language we introduce the less important(or younger, stranger or male...) to the person of higher rank, so the sentence would say: the newborn was introduced to HM &Prince Philip.... because of course the baby is of less importance, younger, male ...than HM

It would be nice if somebody of mothertongue English can let me know. Of course I think I am wrong or maybe these rules of politenss are the other way round in English language.
Thank you all and please excuse me for asking this a little offtopic question. I cannot bother my husband as he is abroad at the moment.

There is little of the formality of which you wrote in the English language. It could have been written either way and no one would have noticed. And your English is very good. Far better than my German.

Why couldn’t he?

He has been talking to the press or to anyone that listens that Meghan has made Harry drop his old friends. As per Lizzie Cundy, a z-list British TV presenter who is promoting her book, Meghan was looking for a ' British celeb ' to date. This pre-Harry and Meghan had spent sometime in London and how her and Meghan were 'close'. I am beginning to think British folk don't understand how networking works cos she has gone down the Piers Morgan lane saying Meghan ghosted her.

The story about Harry dropping his friends are old, some from pre-wedding, and were never linked to Adam. Lizzie claims that Adam was one of the 'famous british people' Meghan connected with when he was in London. There is no sign either that Lizzie is telling any kind of truth, or Adam was the source of the information.

If Adam is not chosen, which I doubt he would be, its because there are a lot of people far closer to Harry to choose from.

Lizzie physically described Adam in that interview woeful Wootton as the friend who said Meghan has made Harry drop his friends. I don't believe her either and she is friends with Morgan so I definitely don't believe her. She is incredibly fake and is hawking her trash book but using Meghan's name. Vulture!

If you are referring to an article saying Meghan had met both Bidwell and Natalie Pinkham pre-Harry then I find it interesting that Pinkham is also said to be on the outs with Harry. Heck she was not even invited to his wedding.

Lizzie physically described Adam in that interview woeful Wootton as the friend who said Meghan has made Harry drop his friends. I don't believe her either and she is friends with Morgan so I definitely don't believe her. She is incredibly fake and is hawking her trash book but using Meghan's name. Vulture!

If you are referring to an article saying Meghan had met both Bidwell and Natalie Pinkham pre-Harry then I find it interesting that Pinkham is also said to be on the outs with Harry. Heck she was not even invited to his wedding.

Yes we have a reporter who claims he spoke to her. With enough worry someone will call her on it, that she doesn't even name him :whistling:

You made it sound like Adam was giving press releases 'talking to the press or anyone who will listen'. There is just one loose lipped reporter trying for her 15 minutes of added fame, claiming he spoke to her. Hardly proof to throw Adam under the bus.

May I ask a question widely relates to this, thank you.
I am origin from german Suisse and now live in France with an british husband, just to explain why my English is far from perfect.
When I read the tweet of Duke of Sussex saying, HM and the Duke of E. were introduced to the newborn.... I asked myself if this is the correct expression.
In Suisse language we introduce the less important(or younger, stranger or male...) to the person of higher rank, so the sentence would say: the newborn was introduced to HM &Prince Philip.... because of course the baby is of less importance, younger, male ...than HM

It would be nice if somebody of mothertongue English can let me know. Of course I think I am wrong or maybe these rules of politenss are the other way round in English language.
Thank you all and please excuse me for asking this a little offtopic question. I cannot bother my husband as he is abroad at the moment.

Your English is very good!

Yes, normally under the rules of good manners one would introduce most others to the Queen as she is, as you said, of higher rank or importance. But I think in this case since it was a newborn, (and family) social manners are not the primary concern.

Yes we have a reporter who claims he spoke to her. With enough worry someone will call her on it, that she doesn't even name him :whistling:

You made it sound like Adam was giving press releases 'talking to the press or anyone who will listen'. There is just one loose lipped reporter trying for her 15 minutes of added fame, claiming he spoke to her. Hardly proof to throw Adam under the bus.

I would hardly call her a reporter more like a mouth for a hire. She is more famous for being a wife of a footballer and takes any reality TV show gig for an extra 15 minutes of fame.

She made the suggestion that Meghan wanted to be on a reality TV show over here and land a celebrity. There have been a number of stories saying Meghan DM'ed Male singers but nothing came of it. I am disgusted these stories are coming out now that she is on maternity leave. As for Adam, he may have said that the likes of the Inskips were on the outs with Harry which we know is true but to say all of them is a stretch.

Your English is very good!

Yes, normally under the rules of good manners one would introduce most others to the Queen as she is, as you said, of higher rank or importance. But I think in this case since it was a newborn, (and family) social manners are not the primary concern.

I think it was stated that way because it was about HM and Prince Philip meeting (seeing) the newborn Archie. It would be strange to say it the other way around, that Archie met HM/PP as he was probably sleeping the majority of the time and has no idea he was in the room with the Queen. ?

I would hardly call her a reporter more like a mouth for a hire. She is more famous for being a wife of a footballer and takes any reality TV show gig for an extra 15 minutes of fame.

She made the suggestion that Meghan wanted to be on a reality TV show over here and land a celebrity. There have been a number of stories saying Meghan DM'ed Male singers but nothing came of it. I am disgusted these stories are coming out now that she is on maternity leave. As for Adam, he may have said that the likes of the Inskips were on the outs with Harry which we know is true but to say all of them is a stretch.

The previous version of this story didn’t involve famous British men. Just British men in general. Which isn’t rare, the accent can be charming. The story about the footballer and how her friends warned her he’s trouble was also told.

And again, there is no evidence that the Inskips are on the outs with Harry. Skippy was at the wedding and press even reported he joined in on speech at their reception until the press decided to push the narrative that Meghan is difficult and changed the story months later. Fact of the matter is Skippy isn’t even living in UK right now.

My vote for Male godparents

Prince Seiso of Lesotho
Louis Spencer, Viscount Althorp

:previous: I have also thought of Louis Spencer as a godfather. Am I correct to use the term godfather or should it be godparent?

Godparents when you are speaking in general. Godfather or mother of specific person. No need for neutrality.

A Spencer cousin may be nice. Not sure how close he is to Louis. May choose one of his other cousins.

I would love to see Seeiso though I believe he is catholic. He could still serve but may be termed a witness instead.

Last edited:
Godparents:
The Duchess of Cambridge / Kate Middleton
Jessica Mulroney (supporting friend if she has not been baptized)
Mark Dyer

Not sure why people are guessing the Cambridges since they have made neither Harry nor Meghan godparents to any of their three children. And even they were to make one of them godparent, it’s far more likely to be William than Kate. If they are going to choose more immediate family for godparent, I hope they choose the Prince of Wales.

As for cousins, I do agree with George or Celia McCorquodale. Although, the Sussexes seem very close to Baroness Fellowes. She did a reading at the Sussex wedding and she was the only one from Harry’s maternal family to be there. So maybe one of her children, or even herself, as godparent?

Not sure why people are guessing the Cambridges since they have made neither Harry nor Meghan godparents to any of their three children. And even they were to make one of them godparent, it’s far more likely to be William than Kate. If they are going to choose more immediate family for godparent, I hope they choose the Prince of Wales.

As for cousins, I do agree with George or Celia McCorquodale. Although, the Sussexes seem very close to Baroness Fellowes. She did a reading at the Sussex wedding and she was the only one from Harry’s maternal family to be there. So maybe one of her children, or even herself, as godparent?

There were other members of the Spencer family at the Sussex wedding. Baroness Fellowes and her husband were the only members of Spencer side to leave the church with the bridal party but others were there. Lord Spencers first wife also attended the wedding, along with his adult children, and current wife.

His other Aunt attended as well.

There were other members of the Spencer family at the Sussex wedding. Baroness Fellowes and her husband were the only members of Spencer side to leave the church with the bridal party but others were there. Lord Spencers first wife also attended the wedding, along with his adult children, and current wife.

His other Aunt attended as well.

I know that. But my point was, it seems Baroness Fellowes was given more of prominent role.

I know that. But my point was, it seems Baroness Fellowes was given more of prominent role.

I have obviously mis understood this part of your post .........see below

She did a reading at the Sussex wedding and she was the only one from Harry’s maternal family to be there. So maybe one of her children, or even herself, as godparent?

Apologies if I misquoted you,...

I don’t see why William and Catherine would be godparents, it’s never made sense to me to have a family member as a godparent as they’re always going to be closer to the child anyway. It’s clearly the route William and Catherine have took as well.

I still don't see William and Kate as godparents. But also don't see Charles. Grandparents as godparents are a thing of the past with the BRF. If a Windsor I stand by a cousin.

William chose Zara as he was close to her and Peter growing up. Harry seems much closer to the Yorks. He holidays with them. For me it's a toss up between a York or a Spencer cousin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have obviously mis understood this part of your post .........see below

She did a reading at the Sussex wedding and she was the only one from Harry’s maternal family to be there. So maybe one of her children, or even herself, as godparent?

Apologies if I misquoted you,...

Oh sorry. I must have missed a few words typing on my phone. I meant on the steps after the wedding.

Could a married couple such as Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank both be godparents?

Could a married couple such as Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank both be godparents?

Of course. There is absolutely no restrictions against it. I know quite a few families that have done exactly that in both Catholic and Protestant faiths.

Of course. There is absolutely no restrictions against it. I know quite a few families that have done exactly that in both Catholic and Protestant faiths.

I know this has been done in the Roman Catholic faith. However, I did not know if it was done in the Anglican Church of England.

I am CoE and my godparents where my aunt and uncle (married to each other). So yes it is possible for a married couple to be godparents in the CoE.

Used to be common. Especially as godparents were also once intended as guardians if something happened. It made more sense they were married. My sister has our at the time married aunt and uncle. I have my grandmothers sisters instead of a godfather.

There are plenty of cases in older generations where royals had couples among their godparents. Often their grandparents.

The queen had her paternal grandparents

Last edited:
Yea, I think that's simply down to personal preference of the parents.

The CoE only has restrictions on the religion of the godparent, which makes sense. The degree of which can be up to the clergy, I believe, but generally basic requirement is to be baptized themselves obviously.

I doubt that a grandfather is going to be made a godparent.

My guess is perhaps one of the van Straubenzee's, Markus Anderson, Mark Dyer, possibly Tiggy (Legge-Bourke) Pettifer, and one of Diana's friends, and/or perhaps one of the Spencers. Of Meghan's other friends, I suppose they would have to be Protestant in order to serve as godparents (none of Jessica, Misha, Priyanka, Lindsay, nor Serena are Protestant AFAIK). If Benita Litt is, then she may get the nod. Or, we'll likely be surprised at who is chosen altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of Meghan's other friends, I suppose they would have to be Protestant in order to serve as godparents...

They don’t have to be Protestant, they just have to be baptized into a Christian religion. So, Catholic or Eastern Orthodox would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom