Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to Harry, it doesn't get easier. According to rumours, there seem to be some problems between Harry's friends and Meghan. Some of his friends were apparently not invited to the wedding. Which makes me guess that some of his friends won't be considered being a godparent either. Tom Inskip is one of these friends, even if I have seen that some people think Tom may become a godparent after all.

Now Harry's former nanny, Tiggy, is suggested as an option. No idea what kind of relationship Harry and Tiggy has nowadays. Are they good friends?

The Inskips were definitely at the wedding. I saw Skippy arrive. The initial reports after wedding said they were at the reception. It's only recently they said he's not and he hasn't been hanging out with Harry. While, it's a little hard to hang out all the time when one considers the fact that Skippy and his wife moved to DC months ago. Royal Musing did a piece on this.

Royal Musings: So where was Skippy?

Tom Bradby, who is actually friends with the Princes and invited to the Sussex wedding, has gone on record to say that his friends actually urged him to hurry up. So I'd say his friends are still contenders. It's a matter of who Harry wants to choose.

Tiggy lives in Wales, and it was reported that after Meghan and Harry completed their engagements in Cardiff during their engagement tour, Harry took her to meet Tiggy. I believe Tiggy also had a seat in the Quire at the wedding. So clearly, she is still quite important to him today.

Given the fact that the couple wanted the birth to be as private as possible for a baby in Archie's position, I can imagine the godparents will also be non-famous friends of the couple. I agree that some college friends of Meghan's will probably be included in the mix, and maybe even Serena Williams at a push (though perhaps not since she's very well known).

Given the fact that the couple wanted the birth to be as private as possible for a baby in Archie's position, I can imagine the godparents will also be non-famous friends of the couple. I agree that some college friends of Meghan's will probably be included in the mix, and maybe even Serena Williams at a push (though perhaps not since she's very well known).
It could be but as some others pointed out. They didn't necessarily want everything as private as possible but mainly do it their own way. If they are the first to release a picture of their newborn meeting the queen for the first time (and present him to the media at Windsor Castle), I don't think having a bunch of famous godparents is something they would shy away from. They seem to both want privacy and enjoy their position in the lime light. So, anything is possible imo.

My guess is that we will see an equal number of godparents from Harry and Meghan's side and that Harry's side might include a paternal and maternal cousin (as they also might want to include a friend; it will depend on the total number of godparents).

Actually, our own moby suggested Archibald which is close to Archie. Someone else suggested Harrison. Cyril suggested only two names. All of those are kind of right on the mark.

We all thought that the baby would be named after someone. We were wrong.

Osipi is correct: I had an inkling that the child would have only two names.
For a godparent, might one of the Lascelles cousins be asked?

Osipi is correct: I had an inkling that the child would have only two names.
For a godparent, might one of the Lascelles cousins be asked?

Do we even know if Harry has any kind of relationship with the Lascelles?? You're talking second cousins once removed or third cousins, ones who we don't see at family events. Plenty of much closer family to choose from.

Godparents have to be Christian, and at least baptized if not confirmed. Serena is Jehovas witness. Lindsay and Jessica are Jewish which rules them out as well.

I think we will likely see six godparents. Like wedding wedding party, 1/2 and 1/2.

Meghan: 3 friends
most likely:
Genevieve
Benita
Markus

Harry: 1 cousin, 1 friend, 1 role model

most likely:
-Charlie Van Strabaneze
-Princess Eugenie/Beatrice
-Mark Dyer

Possibly a Spencer cousin instead. But if a Windsor, I think we will see a York. Harry has been very close to them over the years. He has a number of good friends who could also be chosen like Skippy.

I don't think Tiggy will be usded. ELF is more likely if not Mark.

Actually, our own moby suggested Archibald which is close to Archie. Someone else suggested Harrison. Cyril suggested only two names. All of those are kind of right on the mark.

We all thought that the baby would be named after someone. We were wrong.

Right, I remember somebody suggesting 'Harrison,' as well as 'Archibald.' I remember thinking that 'Harrison' was a good guess! I never would have expected 'Archibald,' and it's not strictly that formal name, but derived from it. I really like the name Master Archie Harrison. It's unique to Baby Sussex! I was also reading that 'Archie' means 'genuine, true,' and 'master' as well! So Archie is Master Master Harrison. ?

I'm glad @moby and @Cyril have spoken up about their accurate speculations. Someone else also suggested it might be only two names. I never went in that direction. I even thought the baby might have four names, since there are so many possibilities.

I also thought the baby would be a girl. One thing I did get almost correct is the baby's weight. I speculated 7lbs 4oz, and Archie weighed in at 7lbs 3oz, so I was off by only one ounce. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that Harry and Meghan have revealed the name of their son, please take any further discussion about Archie's name to the 'Birth of Archie Harrison' thread.

Last edited:
For a godparent, might one of the Bowes-Lyon cousins be asked?

I've never read that Harry (or William) has much of a connection to the Bowes Lyon side of the family. That closeness with cousins from the QM's family would have been primarily in the Queen and Prss Margaret's generation, and perhaps Charles. Harry doesn't have any first cousins from the Bowes Lyon family. IMO I think he may choose a cousin from the Spencers or the York sisters as godparents.

I am thinking maybe The Tindalls or even one of the York girls. It wouldn't shock me if The Cambridges were one. Also his Spencer cousins..Harry seems close to the oldest son of Earl Spencer.

LaRae

For a godparent, might one of the Bowes-Lyon cousins be asked?

Like the Lascelles, I don't see any reason they would go so far a field in the family tree.

Not one member of the Bowes-Lyon family were invited to their wedding. The only one invited to the Cambridge wedding was Margaret Rhodes. I highly doubt if they didn't warrant a wedding invitation, they would even warrant a glance for godparent.

Last edited:
For godparents I think Jessica Mulroney and someone else from Meghan’s friends and one of the Spencer cousins (or even York’s) and a friend of Harrys

For godparents I think Jessica Mulroney and someone else from Meghan’s friends and one of the Spencer cousins (or even York’s) and a friend of Harrys

Jessica is Jewish, so not eligible to be an official godparent in the COE.

I thought it was George McCorquodale that he was friendly with out of the spencer cousin’s. Harry and Meghan were pictured with him at Ceila’s wedding last year. So maybe one of Lady Sarah’s children.

I think a York cousin as well. Then a male friend possibly Mark Dyer.

Then 2-3 from Meghan’s side.

Thanks for letting me know that Meghan has other friends too. I have honestly just heard of her celebrity friends. As media loves paying attention to them. I was just curious, as I thought they would pick at least one of these friends.

I also didn’t watch the wedding, and didn’t know the full guest list. Just did read on different blogs etc that some of Harry’s friends weren’t invited, including Tom Inskip. But if the Inskips were at the wedding, I guess Tom can be an option when it comes to godparents. Maybe even Jake Warren. Even if Charlie Van Strabaneze may be more likely.

(No, I am not quoting anyone in particular, even if a couple of you did quote me when you replied. Hope my general reply is not too confusing).

I am thinking maybe The Tindalls or even one of the York girls. It wouldn't shock me if The Cambridges were one. Also his Spencer cousins..Harry seems close to the oldest son of Earl Spencer.

LaRae

The Cambridges? I am not so sure about that. As it will be assumed The Cambridges will already have an important role in Archie's life. As they are the uncle, aunt and cousins. I guess this is also the reason Harry was never asked to become a godparent to any of their kids. Zara Tindall is godparent to Prince George. So I am not sure she will be a godparent to Archie as well.

For a godparent, might one of the Mountbatten cousins be asked?

For some reason, I honestly feel that the entire godparent ceremony will be very low keyed. Just have the feeling that Harry will take after cousin Zara's type of service for her first daughter. Second daughter's service was leaked for some reason and it as noted that Mike and Zara not at all happy. JMO. Harry and Meghan seem to want very modern and new [their own type] of events. Hope they get their wish and godparents not announced if that is their desire.

Zara Tindall is godparent to Prince George. So I am not sure she will be a godparent to Archie as well.

But Harry is Lena's godfather...

I thought it was George McCorquodale that he was friendly with out of the spencer cousin’s. Harry and Meghan were pictured with him at Ceila’s wedding last year. So maybe one of Lady Sarah’s children.

Harry attended George's wedding in South Africa back in 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, I honestly feel that the entire godparent ceremony will be very low keyed. Just have the feeling that Harry will take after cousin Zara's type of service for her first daughter. Second daughter's service was leaked for some reason and it as noted that Mike and Zara not at all happy. JMO. Harry and Meghan seem to want very modern and new [their own type] of events. Hope they get their wish and godparents not announced if that is their desire.

At the rate the constant criticizers and media 'peeping Toms' are going, baby Archie's christening might indeed be kept relatively low-key, particularly if the christening ends up being held inside a chapel at one of the palaces. The media truly need to pipe down. I can see the Sussexes going completely private without any announcements if this nonsensical OTT frenzy and unnecessary scrutiny and complaining about everything they do continues.

I hope that we do get to see a few pictures no matter where the christening is held. I also hope that the godparents will be named, but it's not crucial for the public to be informed. The christening could be held completely privately at the chapel inside Windsor Castle, with the Sussexes perhaps posting a couple of discreet pictures on their Instagram. Prince Harry was christened at St. George's Chapel, so I had initially expected that to be the venue for baby Archie. But once again, the Sussexes' plans may be fluid and based on logistical royal family concerns, as well as on the Sussexes' desires.

Last edited:
For a godparent, might one of the Mountbatten cousins be asked?

Any Mountbatten in mind or simply running through every distant family member? I am expecting 'might one of the German cousins be asked', next :ermm:

Again we can likely look to the wedding guest list. I doubt a family member not close enough to be invited to the wedding, will be close enough to be chosen.

Like the Lacelles, none of the Mountbatten cousins were invited to the wedding. Not even closer family like Freddie and Gabrielle were, only the older Kents and Gloucesters were.

IF they did choose a Mountbatten (perhaps because of Charles) one of Louis's family. Alexndra Knatchbull is Diana's goddaughter and Charles gave her away as her father is Charles' good friend. But I don't think Harry even attended her wedding either. I don't think his parent's relationship with her would be enough.

Last edited:
Maybe Lady Jane Fellowes? Telegraph is reporting that she’s among the first to meet Archie. And obviously she also did the reading at their wedding.

Maybe Lady Jane Fellowes? Telegraph is reporting that she’s among the first to meet Archie. And obviously she also did the reading at their wedding.

Would be a good choice :flowers:

Lean more towards one of the cousins though. Its more common to choose a godparent of a similar age to you. But then again royals have been known to choose much older godparents.

I am leaning more and more towards a Spencer and not Windsor as a godparent. Though not ready to rule out one of the Yorks.

But Harry is Lena's godfather...

So? You think it means Harry will return the favour and let Zara become godparent to Archie? Or her husband? I am not so sure about that. Then the Tindalls could have done the same, since Zara is godparent to Prince George. None of the Cambridges are a godparent to Lena. I am not sure about Mia, as the Tindalls think it is a private matter. Haven't seen any public details about her godparents.

I am just guessing, and saying I wouldn't be surprised if any of the Tindalls wouldn't become godparents to Archie, since Zara is a godparent for one of her cousins' kids already. It doesn't mean The Sussexes cannot choose her or her husband, because they can. But I think it probably is more likely that they will pick another cousin. But I may be wrong.

So? You think it means Harry will return the favour and let Zara become godparent to Archie? Or her husband? I am not so sure about that. Then the Tindalls could have done the same, since Zara is godparent to Prince George. None of the Cambridges are a godparent to Lena. I am not sure about Mia, as the Tindalls think it is a private matter. Haven't seen any public details about her godparents.

I am just guessing, and saying I wouldn't be surprised if any of the Tindalls wouldn't become godparents to Archie, since Zara is a godparent for one of her cousins' kids already. It doesn't mean The Sussexes cannot choose her or her husband, because they can. But I think it probably is more likely that they will pick another cousin. But I may be wrong.

William is Mia’s godfather.

I’m not saying they will choose Zara but not ruling her out since Harry was chosen as godfather to one of her children.

Last edited:
Who knows,with this non traditional name don't look for Brits,
I dunno I could be wrong .

I wonder when the Christening date will be announced and if it will take place at St George's Chapel?

I'd be shocked if the baptism wasn't announced. Unlike Zara and Peter, they aren't private citizens.

The couple may have done things a bit more modern, but they have still included the public in things.

My guess would be St George's chapel. Harry was baptized there. The couple were married there. Its now their 'home church' of sorts as they live at Frogmore.

William is Mia’s godfather.

I’m not saying they will choose Zara but not ruling her out since Harry was chosen as godfather to one of her children.

Harry has six-seven godchildren (said in an interview he has 5 or six which was pre-Lena). I don't think being a godparent to one of their children is top criteria to being chosen. Note William is Hugh VC's daughter Grace's godfather yet Hugh has never been chosen by the Cambridges. Two of his brothers have been, but never Hugh. Either has Pavlos, and William serves for one of his sons.

If that is part of the criteria then:
-Zara or Mike (Lena)
-Jake or Zoe Warren (Zalie)
-Nicholas VC or Alice (Florence)
-Mark Dyer or Amanda (Jasper)
-Tiggy or her husband (Fred)

And the parents of the other 1 or godchildren whose names we don't know. If any are used, I still believe will be Mark, but not because he is a godfather to Jasper. But because Mark has been a second father to him.

Zara made sense for William and Kate. William was very close to Zara and Peter growing up. On the other hand Harry has been much closer to the York girls. In his adult life he has been seen on holidays and socializing with them outside family events. Enough so he even invited their mom to the wedding. He also seems IMO closer to his Spencer family then his brother has been.

Who knows,with this non traditional name don't look for Brits,
I dunno I could be wrong .

Because they didn't choose a traditional royal name, you think they will boycott the entire country for godparents????

I highly doubt Harry will ignore his friends, relatives and role models. Nothing about their name choice or life shows they are ones for boycotting the UK.

Last edited:
According to Baby Centre UK, last year, Archie was in the top 20 boy’s names, behind Harry & Henry, but ahead of William. Harrison was in the top 30, ahead of Louis, in the 70s.

Archie Harrison, may not be traditional royal names, however they’re names parents are choosing in the U.K.

I’d guess that the Sussexes will choose Godparents from both of their family and friends as they did for their wedding.

Last edited:
The Cambridges? I am not so sure about that. As it will be assumed The Cambridges will already have an important role in Archie's life. As they are the uncle, aunt and cousins. I guess this is also the reason Harry was never asked to become a godparent to any of their kids. Zara Tindall is godparent to Prince George. So I am not sure she will be a godparent to Archie as well.

Not everyone's criteria for choosing godparents is people who aren't already are expected to be a big part of the child's life. Harry's own godfather is Andrew. I wouldn't be surprised if they chose Catherine. She and Harry have always looked like they have a lot of fun together and the times we've seen her and Meghan together, they also look like they hit it off very well. A delightful added bonus would be that making Catherine Archie's godmother would serve as a raised middle finger to everyone who like to pit her and Meghan against each other.

Why would Zara being George's godmother exclude her from being Archie's? (I really didn't intend to bring Andrew up twice in this post :lol: but he does happen to be godfather to both Harry and Zara).

Last edited:
Not everyone's criteria for choosing godparents is people who already are expected to be a big part of the child's life. Harry's own godfather is Andrew. I wouldn't be surprised if they chose Catherine. She and Harry have always looked like they have a lot of fun together and the times we've seen her and Meghan together, they also look like they hit it off very well. A delightful added bonus would be that making Catherine Archie's godmother would serve as a raised middle finger to everyone who like to pit her and Meghan against each other.

Why would Zara being George's godmother exclude her from being Archie's? (I really didn't intend to bring Andrew up twice in this post :lol: but he does happen to be godfather to both Harry and Zara).

Archie is not a political statement. He shouldn't be used as a 'see there is no truth to the rumors'.

And that is exactly what it would come off as. Especially considering Kate, who is 'so close to Harry' never asked him to be godparent to her kids.

Yes the royals sometimes use their siblings for godparents. The reason when George was born I thought Harry would be godfather. But by child three and he still wasn't used, there was clearly a reason neither William or Kate used any of their siblings.

I was made a godparent (surprised to find out twice over) for the first time 2 weeks ago. In the modern sense it has become like becoming a 'aunt or uncle' to the child. That you step into that role when you are a godparent. It is one reason in recent decades, some people opt not to use siblings. Siblings already are aunt/uncle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom