Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This name probably won't ever happen but if they really, really wanted to delve into British history and come up with a totally British name, they could name their son Winston after the great statesman and prime minister.

Winston Charles Henry, Earl of Dumbarton.

Genius suggestion. A member of the Spencer family AND born to an American mother and Brit father!

I really hope Phillip is somewhere in the mix.

I really think, for some reason, that Thomas might be in the mix. Maybe not as the first name, although it would be nice, there hasn't been a Prince Thomas in centuries, but I also think that Phillip will be used as well. Don't quote me, I'm usually wrong, lol, but I feel strongly about this. Maybe she will use her father's name as a way to show the world that no matter what he does or says, she still loves him. I love Alexander, and wish this would be the first name, and it would be a nice tribute to his brother to give his son his uncle's name as one of his. Thomas Philip Arthur William has a nice ring. Or Alexander Philip Thomas William. The former name has the same middle configuration as his grandfather Prince Charles, so that would pay tribute to him as well. Everyone would be happy, and Meghan might actually shut her dad up for good and all, lol. At least her father was gracious in his statement regarding the birth of his grandson. Oh well, we'll know soon enough!!

Beyond Arthur I also hope they veto James. I know the same name being used is common but not this close. Not only is viscount Severn a kid as well but he is in the main line of the royals.

And association, ekhm...you know with whom.

Beyond Arthur I also hope they veto James. I know the same name being used is common but not this close. Not only is viscount Severn a kid as well but he is in the main line of the royals. Not as obscure as sharing a name with a Kent or such. I don’t mind when a close relative has same first name but different generations. Like Philip and this baby

Sorry I have to laugh at the thought of Winston. IMO as unlikely as Marvin. Well only slightly less as not name of a hamster.

At least Marvin is not on the same level as, let's say, a Hollywood celebrity baby name like APPLE or PILOT INSPEKTOR (seriously!!!!!!!!!!!).

I made it clear it was.my preferment.....

But yes, I see what you are saying. Not really aproppriate as a name in a royal sense.

Now that we know it's a boy, my suggestion for a name definitely will include "Thomas".

How about an "A" name: Alexander, Alfred (Freddie) or Albert (Bertie)
With the middle names: Charles Thomas Edward
I like the initials: ACTED (Dumbarton) ��

Henry could be the first name. Then there would be two Henrys: father and son.

Meghan chose not to include her father in the birth announcement but some of you still expect her to name her child after him?!?

It was just a thought. I agree that he has made a lot of trouble for his daughter and the Royal family, but I have seen stranger situations. I do think that Philip will be part of the name, and I also like Alexander. What ever the names turn out to be, we will know soon enough

At least Marvin is not on the same level as, let's say, a Hollywood celebrity baby name like APPLE or PILOT INSPEKTOR (seriously!!!!!!!!!!!).

I made it clear it was.my preferment.....

But yes, I see what you are saying. Not really aproppriate as a name in a royal sense.

Actually considering the member of the BRF named Marvin, I would actually put the name right up there with Apple.

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/ro...-life-playful-illustrations/story?id=39332342

I guess it isn't as bad as suggesting they name him Lord Lupo :whistling:

Genius suggestion. A member of the Spencer family AND born to an American mother and Brit father!

I really hope Phillip is somewhere in the mix.

Winston was only remotely related to Diana's branch. If they wanted to honor the American roots of Diana's family, one could look a lot closer. Her grandfather was a Half American Half Brit. Edmund Roche was Frances Shand-Kydd's father. His mother was American Francis Wok.

Edmund would make a cute alternative to the often used Edward.

Oh, Edmund is too old-fashioned. I do like the name 'Eddie' though, and some people have that as a given name, without the formal 'Edward' designation.

I like John, Richard, Adam, Daniel, Philip, Gabriel. I think Alexander is an okay name, but I don't care for it too much. If they use it, then Xander for a nickname. Arthur is also okay, I suppose. But it rings old-fashioned to me.

Alexander is already one of Prince George's names. Charles is already one of Louis' names, as is 'Arthur'. And Louis is also one of George's names. Also, there are already two current family connections named 'James': James, Viscount Severn of Wessex, and Kate's younger brother, James Middleton. Harry's other names are Charles, Albert, and David. So perhaps one of these names will be used. Hopefully they won't use Henry as one of Baby Sussex's names, but they might.

I hope Meghan is able to honor her maternal grandfather by using his name, 'Alvin,' in there somewhere. The baby may end up needing four given names. :lol:

The Sussexes picking an African name is really a longshot. But 'Mappolo' has a nice ring to it, and it means 'blessed.'

Oh, and Countessmeout, I agree that 'Malcolm' is a very nice name. Also, 'Martin.' I like the name, 'Clive,' too, which is very English. Also, another nice Scottish name, 'Angus.'

Another excellent name, 'Claude,' which is the first name of the Queen Mother's father.

Richard Philip Claude Alvin or

Richard Charles Alvin Henry

Richard Claude Alvin Charles

Or perhaps:
Albert Philip Charles Alvin, or

Philip Alvin Charles Markle Mountbatten-Windsor

Last edited:
Oh, Edmund is too old-fashioned. I do like the name 'Eddie' though, and some people have that as a given name, without the formal 'Edward' designation.

I like John, Richard, Adam, Daniel, Philip, Gabriel. I think Alexander is an okay name, but I don't care for it too much. If they use it, then Xander for a nickname. Arthur is also okay, I suppose. But it rings old-fashioned to me.

Alexander is already one of Prince George's names. Charles is already one of Louis' names, as is 'Arthur'. And Louis is also one of George's names. Also, there are already two current family connections named 'James': James, Viscount Severn of Wessex, and Kate's younger brother, James Middleton. Harry's other names are Charles, Albert, and David. So perhaps one of these names will be used. Hopefully they won't use Henry as one of Baby Sussex's names, but they might.

I hope Meghan is able to honor her maternal grandfather by using his name, 'Alvin,' in there somewhere. The baby may end up needing four given names. :lol:

The Sussexes picking an African name is really a longshot. But 'Mappolo' has a nice ring to it, and it means 'blessed.'

Oh, and Countessmeout, I agree that 'Malcolm' is a very nice name. Also, 'Martin.' I like the name, 'Clive,' too, which is very English. Also, another nice Scottish name, 'Angus.'

Another excellent name, 'Claude,' which is the first name of the Queen Mother's father.

Alvin????????????

"Normal" enough for a second or third name, sure, but NOT first name material. Definitely not. He'll be tormented with chipmunk jokes for the rest of his life.

Was a normal name........until pop culture stepped in. No problem somewhere in the middle, though. I agree with you.

I think we will see Philip, and maybe Spencer...

I’m going Spencer Philip Azell

Actually considering the member of the BRF named Marvin, I would actually put the name right up there with Apple.

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/ro...-life-playful-illustrations/story?id=39332342

I guess it isn't as bad as suggesting they name him Lord Lupo :whistling:

Winston was only remotely related to Diana's branch. If they wanted to honor the American roots of Diana's family, one could look a lot closer. Her grandfather was a Half American Half Brit. Edmund Roche was Frances Shand-Kydd's father. His mother was American Francis Wok.

Edmund would make a cute alternative to the often used Edward.
Diana's grandfather went by his middle name, Maurice. Her brother Earl Spencer's full name is Charles Edward Maurice.

Is Adrian a Royal name? I could see them liking that name.

I like that idea, and the Sussexes have always loved Africa. And there's Meagan's Africa American heritage. Alexander Philip Mappolo.

Or Spencer.

Don't think there'll be four names through, just three.

Is there anybody in the BRF now with the first name EDGAR?

That name might be serviceable. Nickname "EDDIE."

Just saying...........

As I recall Meghan's mother's family were from Malta. Either way I doubt they will use an African name.

LaRae

My guess: Charles Philip David John. Maybe throw a 'Thomas' in there, if Meghan is feeling especially sentimental.

This is a repost of my prediction for the baby name of the Duke & Duchess of Sussex (DDS), October, 2018.

The first thing to consider is whether the DDS will choose a traditional royal name or, because the little one won’t likely ever become the monarch, will they choose a more modern name. If they choose to go more modern, a prediction will be nearly impossible. However, if they choose to go traditional, there is a relatively short list to consider. For purposes of this discussion, we will assume that the DDS will go with a traditional royal name.

For a boy, I am going with:

Albert William Philip

Here is my logic:
– The most commonly used first or middle royal name (by far) since the time of Queen Victoria. This name honors the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, the current Royal families house name before being changed to Windsor during WWI. It is also one of Prince Harry's middle names.
William - A strong English name including four monarchs and more importantly, Prince Harry’s admired older brother and future King. It would be a great honor to be named after a future King.
Philip – The younger Windors have a strong tradition of honoring Prince Philip's Mountbatten ancestors. Since Alexander and Louis are already being used by William’s sons, Philip himself is my choice. Another possibility here would be Christian after King Christian IX of Denmark.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I recall Meghan's mother's family were from Malta. Either way I doubt they will use an African name.

LaRae

I remember reading in Morton's biography that the Malta connection was from her FATHER'S side of her family. I think the ancestor was a maid at Victoria's court for some time. That is, at least, what I remember.

Ah..I had read it was her mother's family...

LaRae

Diana's grandfather went by his middle name, Maurice. Her brother Earl Spencer's full name is Charles Edward Maurice.

Yes, and her father's name was Edward not John. That doesn't mean they couldn't use Maurice's proper first name to honor him. Edmund is far more likely IMO then Maurice.

I hope Meghan is able to honor her maternal grandfather by using his name, 'Alvin,' in there somewhere. The baby may end up needing four given names.

Old fashion names are certainly in the eye of the beholder. :ermm:

Laugh that you think Claude or Alvin are not old fashioned:ohmy::lol:

Xan is already a nickname in the family, Xan Windsor.

Why would James Middleton be taken into account :ermm: He is not a family connection of any kind to Harry and Meghan.

Ah..I had read it was her mother's family...

LaRae

Tom's family, though they only lived in Malta, they weren't from there. Tom's maternal great-grandmother Mary Bird was from Ireland. She and her British husband moved to Malta (after she worked in Windsor palace). After her husband died, she eventually moved to North America. I guess Tom's grandmother was Maltese by birth.

Alexander's been used quite a bit as a middle name by the RF but I think it's lovely and does go with Dumbarton, also. I do hope they pick it, but then I thought that Louis would be an Alexander, so what do I know!

I've a feeling they will name him Charles. Charles Alexander David would be nice.

I doubt it will be Edmund, as Earl Spencer has an Edmund...two cousins with the same name would be confusing.

On the Spencer side, Harry has cousins named George, Charlotte and Louis so they must not find similar names too confusing.

Or... the could go different and name their son Mark. It reflects both the maternal and paternal side. Mark Dyer for Harry's side and Marcus Anderson for Meghan's side.

The names are endless possibilities for this child and I'm looking forward to the name announcement.

On the Spencer side, Harry has cousins named George, Charlotte and Louis so they must not find similar names too confusing.

Oh yes of course...forgot about that...and Earl Spencer's Charlotte is Charlotte Diana! There's a lack of originality there. I think Harry and Meghan will likely be less traditional with their choice...if not Charles then maybe something not used by the Royals such as Benjamin or Matthew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom