Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read an article where it's mentioned how Meghan & Harry are considering an Italian name for a girl, that Diana is said to have liked: Allegra

I don't know where the publication got this information, or whether it's true.

That's definitely a pretty name for a girl.

Perhaps,
Allegra Frances Jeanette (with 'Aleia' 'Allie' 'Leila' 'Leira' 'Legra' or 'Lela' as a nickname)

Source claims Diana told a friend she would like the name for a girl, after a friend used it.

There is no way Diana thought she was going to name a daughter of the Prince of Wales Allegra. This story is another one fished out of dream land.

A new ridiculous article. Suggests that it was 'revealed' the name. It seems to be a boy named either Arthur, James or Alexander. Or a combination of all three.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...baby-news-duke-duchess-sussex-due-date-gender

Last edited:
It wouldn’t surprise me if they named a boy Charles, the POW was such a huge support to the couple.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they named a boy Charles, the POW was such a huge support to the couple.

Aww, I would love that, and I’m sure Grandpa would be so honored. Besides, Charlie is a super cute name for a mischievous little boy who is always getting into trouble and trying to get out of it using his natural charm. ?

I think Allegra is a lovely girls name, but I believe it was a trade name for a drug that is used to assist hay fever and allergy sufferers. As Harry does suffer from hay fever I can just imagine what fun the tabloids would have with that! OTOH I can definitely see a Charles of Sussex!

Cute to name a child after a musical tempo term, Allegro (moderately lively).
Perhaps the baby is dictating it's own name by it's movements.
Allegra Mary Diana
Alexandra Leia Grace
One would be worried if the proposed name were Prestissimo!

I think either Zara or Mike Tindal as godparent or maybe Eugiene from Harry's royal side.

I just read an article where it's mentioned how Meghan & Harry are considering an Italian name for a girl, that Diana is said to have liked: Allegra

I don't know where the publication got this information, or whether it's true.

That's definitely a pretty name for a girl.

It is a pretty name and it also means "happy" or "merry". However, I am afraid that many people, especially in the English-speaking world, would associate it with a well-known allergy medicine.

I've been wondering if the anonymus close female friend of both Harry and Meghan will feature as a Godmother? Just a thought but how else could they thank her for such a magical gift.

Source claims Diana told a friend she would like the name for a girl, after a friend used it.

There is no way Diana thought she was going to name a daughter of the Prince of Wales Allegra. This story is another one fished out of dream land...

:lol: I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Diana liked the name, which doesn't mean she would have been allowed to use it had she conceived a daughter with Prince Charles. It's definitely a pretty name though.

The cool thing is that there will be (or at least should be) no name restrictions placed on Meghan & Harry! :D In fact, QE-II already has great-granddaughters with delightful names such as Mia (my middle name), Lena, Isla, and Savannah. ?

Bringing this conversation over from 'M&H expecting a baby' thread:

99% of the population has predicted a baby GIRL? Why, I have no idea? Maybe a midwife could explain? I mean the whole world can't be wrong! Only a small percentage are saying Boy!

So early MAY, and a GIRL.

Interesting. I would have to agree with the majority speculation and with your prediction!

Perhaps the reason why many people are predicting a girl is because of Meghan's well-known feminist sensibilities, and because it's about time for girls to be wished for, rather than always the 'knee-jerk' desire for first-born boys, which is endemic in many cultures and societies. (In fact, it was a large reason why Diana PoW endured an unhappy childhood. Her English aristocrat father wanted a boy 'to carry on his name and his line,' yet her mother kept giving birth to girls. Diana was the third girl which was a cause of anger for her father, and despair for her mother. Try living with that knowledge and legacy. Diana had to.)

So on a happier note, hopefully Diana is helping to enact some divine intervention for a bonny girl to arrive. :flowers:

I think having a first-born girl will truly please Meghan and Harry, even though they will surely also be equally happy to welcome a boy. The key is a healthy baby. But a big, important thing is that 'a boy is not necessarily preferred, demanded, or obsessively needed' in this day and age. Let's not forget the psychotic, despotic and desperate actions of a former, famous king of England who bears Harry's given birth name. :whistling:

It is a pretty name and it also means "happy" or "merry". However, I am afraid that many people, especially in the English-speaking world, would associate it with a well-known allergy medicine.

:eek: Oh my. That's definitely not the first thought that came to my mind. Hopefully, Big Pharma can be left out of this as much as possible! :ohmy:

Let's stick with 'happy' and 'merry' thoughts. :flowers:

Lady Allegra Sussex of Wales

Lady Allegra Frances Jeanette Mountbatten-Windsor

:D

Cute to name a child after a musical tempo term, Allegro (moderately lively).
Perhaps the baby is dictating it's own name by it's movements.
Allegra Mary Diana
Alexandra Leia Grace
One would be worried if the proposed name were Prestissimo!

? :flowers: ?

Last edited:
:eek: Oh my. That's definitely not the first thought that came to my mind. Hopefully, Big Pharma can be left out of this as much as possible! :ohmy:

Let's stick with 'happy' and 'merry' thoughts. :flowers:

Lady Allegra Sussex of Wales

Lady Allegra Frances Jeanette Mountbatten-Windsor

:D

? :flowers: ?

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't look like that. It would be either:
Princess Allegra of Sussex (in case the child has a HRH title)
OR
Lady Allegra Frances Jeanette Mountbatten-Windsor (in case the child doesn't have a HRH title)

I have no idea how Lady Allegra Sussex of Wales would ever work.

Lord Andante Mountbatten-Windsor [at this rate]...

OR
Lady Allegra Frances Jeanette Mountbatten-Windsor (in case the child doesn't have a HRH title)

No of course not. If its a girl and she's HRH she will be Princess X of Sussex. if she does not, she will be Lady X Mountbatten Windsor.

Allegra is indeed a very nice name.

The A-s it is for me. Alexander for a boy and Alice for a girl.

Sorry, but to me Allegro sounds like some medication for allergies -

Will the royal baby have an equal number of godfathers and godmothers?

I still think Victoria is a likely name if it’s a girl. Though I personally think it’s a boy. Oh well, I’ve been wrong on everything else regarding this baby. :lol:

OR

Right, I'm no expert on British royal titles, and the protocol surrounding names. I thought it might be possible the Sussex children would use 'Sussex' as a surname in school, but perhaps not since they won't be royal. ;)

Harry went by Wales when he was in the military, but that's before he became the Duke of Sussex. And when Charles becomes King, Prince William will become the Prince of Wales, so his kids will then have access to the Wales moniker. So right, 'Sussex of Wales,' is a fanciful 'no-go' inaccuracy. :lol:

Harry's children will not be born royal, and I see no reason to believe a decision might be made to extend them royal titles when Charles becomes King. Therefore, no 'Princess Allegra,' alas. ?

In Omid Scobie's latest GMA report, he quotes a source close to the couple as saying, "Meghan and Harry are under no pressure to choose a traditional name... While they want to embrace the traditional side, they also want to reflect the modernity of their relationship."

The fact that the name 'Diana' is leading in the betting speculation is so overly sentimental. I would be surprised to see a girl saddled with that moniker for a first name. I don't think it will even be picked as a second or third name, but that's more likely than as a first name.

Lainey Gossip's hope: May 4 'Arthur, Grace, Jedi?'
https://www.laineygossip.com/(S(sez...hat-baby-sussex-will-be-born-on-may-4th/54543

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, I'm no expert on British royal titles, and the protocol surrounding names. I thought it might be possible the Sussex children would use 'Sussex' as a surname in school, but perhaps not since they won't be royal.

Harry went by Wales when he was in the military, but that's before he became the Duke of Sussex. And when Charles becomes King, Prince William will become the Prince of Wales, so his kids will then have access to the Wales moniker. So right, 'Sussex of Wales,' is a fanciful 'no-go' inaccuracy.

Harry's children will not be born royal, and I see no reason to believe a decision might be made to extend them royal titles when Charles becomes King. Therefore, no 'Princess Allegra,' alas.

Might be interested one day to look at British titles thread. Learn a bit more.

Harry going by Wales: Because his dad was Prince of Wales. Kids usually take their father's last name. Charles has no surname, neither do his sons. So they used his designation as a surname. As now William's kids use his designation as a last name. The only member of the queen's family who have a surname are male line descendents who have no HRH. Right now that is Louise and James. Baby Sussex will be included.

Charles extending a title: Charles has no need to extend a title. Its automatic. Any male line grandchildren of the monarch are HRH, that is how the LP's are written. So while during Elizabeth's reign new Lp's would have to be issued for the baby to be HRH, its not the case with Charles. His grandchildren will automatically be HRH. The only action needed would be if he chose to Deny them the title, like James and Louise, and issued a LP.

Elizabeth didn't choose to extend the LP (as she did for Charlotte and Louis as originally William's eldest child would be entitled to it during the queen's reign). Likely as she knew the baby would get it when grandpa was king anyways. And until the baby is in school, or even older, not really a need.

Vicdoria would be nice for a girl's name :whistling:

Could Queen Elizabeth II issue letters patent to allow the the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's child to be styled as Prince or Princess after the baby's birth? Or is this a requirement before the birth?

Logic tells me that if the LPs were ever going to be issued, it would have happened before the birth. I seriously do not think the Queen would do it after the baby has arrived as then it seems like an afterthought. The child would have been born Lord/Lady as a child of a royal duke and then elevated once it arrived. The British just do not do things that way.

I don't think we're going to hear anything on the subject of the Sussex children's titles until Charles becomes King. If Charles issues LPs, then the kids will continue to be titled and styled as children of a Duke. If Charles does nothing, the kids will automatically be HRH Prince/ss of the UK.

Right, I'm no expert on British royal titles, and the protocol surrounding names. I thought it might be possible the Sussex children would use 'Sussex' as a surname in school, but perhaps not since they won't be royal. ;)

I mean, it's not impossible that they will use "Sussex" as a surname in school - if they'll get the HRH title after Charles becomes king, that would probably be a possible option. But it's hard to predict, because it depends on many things happening.

Harry's children will not be born royal, and I see no reason to believe a decision might be made to extend them royal titles when Charles becomes King. Therefore, no 'Princess Allegra,' alas. ?

It's exactly the opposite. H&M's child(ren) automatically become HRH the moment Charles becomes the king. They don't have to do anything, sign anything - they'll be the grandchildren of the monarch, so that gives them the title, no question asked, no action needed (like Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie). But they would have to issue LP if they wanted to keep children without their titles (like with Louise and James). And since we don't know what will happen, it's possible that the children will have the HRH titles.

The fact that the name 'Diana' is leading in the betting speculation is so overly sentimental. I would be surprised to see a girl saddled with that moniker for a first name. I don't think it will even be picked as a second or third name, but that's more likely than as a first name.

I hope they won't do it. I understand the logic of it, I really do, and I understand how they (or Harry, in this case) might want to honor his late mother with this, but it's way too soon. It would be a huge burden for the child.

Logic tells me that if the LPs were ever going to be issued, it would have happened before the birth. I seriously do not think the Queen would do it after the baby has arrived as then it seems like an afterthought. The child would have been born Lord/Lady as a child of a royal duke and then elevated once it arrived. The British just do not do things that way.
I agree. They had plenty of time to figure out what they want to do with this and they chose to do nothing - at least for now.

Could they possibly - I know it's a long shot and not likely to happen - issue the LP with the birth announcement? Or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could they possibly - I know it's a long shot and not likely to happen - issue the LP with the birth announcement? Or something like that?
Perhaps no LP but an announcment similar to the one that was released on Edward and Sophie's Wedding Day.

I don't think we're going to hear anything on the subject of the Sussex children's titles until Charles becomes King. If Charles issues LPs, then the kids will continue to be titled and styled as children of a Duke. If Charles does nothing, the kids will automatically be HRH Prince/ss of the UK.

there have been cases as far as I remember where children have been born with one title and had it elevated. As far as I remember the children of Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife were style Lady Alexandra and Lady ? but later were made princesses....And also the opposite has happened... where royals who had German titles which they used in Britain were given titles of nobility and dropped the Prince titles. The Battenburgs Princes and Princesses were given lower titles.. George became Lord Milford Haven, Louis was Lord Louis Mountbatten and Princess Louise became lady Louise Mountbatten

It's all a more than a little confusing for the kids. When George was born her own longevity meant a direct heir would have no HRH so she issued letters patent to remedy the situation. So George knows who he is and that is "Prince" George and at school his surname is Cambridge and for sense and continuity, HM did the same for Charlotte and Louis.

Because Harry, just like William, will become the son of the Monarch when Charles takes the throne, I see no sense in not doing the same for Harry's children.

But they will be HRH if and when Charles becomes King.. so no need to do anything.. Unless Harry really doesn't want his children to have a royal title..and wants them to be Earl and Lady X WIndsor. Then it would be necessary to make that clear....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom