Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think Prince Harry might go against tradition and use the name John as a middle name for a son?

Last edited:
As for the name John it came to me the following references:

Prince John Windsor - prematurely gone Prince, suffered from epilepsy (and probably also Asperger's syndrome) whose 100th death anniversary fell in January
John Spencer, 8th Earl of Spencer (baby's great-grandfather)
John Brown, the abolitionist, hanged for his ideas and commemorated in many poems, whose 160th death anniversary will fall on 2 December - Meghan's heritage as a maternal descendant of slaves.
John the Evangelist - according to the Gospel, the faithful Apostle of Jesus Christ, who stood at his cross - baby will be born around Easter.

As for the name John it came to me the following references:

Prince John Windsor - prematurely gone Prince, suffered from epilepsy (and probably also Asperger's syndrome) whose 100th death anniversary fell in January
John Spencer, 8th Earl of Spencer (baby's great-grandfather)
John Brown, the abolitionist, hanged for his ideas and commemorated in many poems, whose 160th death anniversary will fall on 2 December - Meghan's heritage as a maternal descendant of slaves.
John the Evangelist - according to the Gospel, the faithful Apostle of Jesus Christ, who stood at his cross - baby will be born around Easter.

There is also Alexander John, the newborn son of Edward VII and Alexandra. It is the two Johns who both died tragically young, which led to the 'cursed name' thought. Also the whole King John history.

As for the Spencers, Diana's dad was Edward John Spencer. Diana's family also has a tragic history of the name. Her parent's first son was a boy John who died hours after birth.

Would be nice to see the name come out of superstitious hold though.

Would be nice to see the name come out of superstitious hold though.
I truly hope so. It was just bad luck. John is a beautiful name with lots of history (not only bad history though).
In Portugal, John is João and it's actually my father's name and also my cousin's name. I really like the name.

If it's a girl qand they would like to use a female equivalent of the name John, it would be rather Jane (Harry's aunt, Queen Jane Seymour, Lady Jane Grey) than Johanna (also rather than Joan or Jean).

I don't think they will go for anything like John, Jane or Mary, as those names are all a little too plain and dated, imo. They may choose a traditional name but I think it will be one that is more modern or timeless. Something like Oliver or Grace or Alexander/Alexandra.

Joao is cute. How do you pronounce it, Kathia_Sophia?

I like John and also Johanna.
Juaau (the A is the same as in Altitude and not Alien, and in Portugal à extends the sound).
We have Johanna here but it's written Joana (Juana when we pronounce and both A are the same as in Altitude):flowers:

Last edited:
And Oliver is associated with Oliver Cromwell:D;)

For a boy John could be used as a middle name. John does not have to be used as the first name.

I don't think they will go for anything like John, Jane or Mary, as those names are all a little too plain and dated, imo. They may choose a traditional name but I think it will be one that is more modern or timeless. Something like Oliver or Grace or Alexander/Alexandra.

Wouldn’t that be nice, to use Grace. If she became a Princess she would be the second American Princess Grace. Well, part American.

For a boy John could be used as a middle name. John does not have to be used as the first name.

Why would it be used at all? Its generally thought to be "bad luck" by the RF.. and as has been pointed out it is also the name of Diana's liltte brother who died.. so its not at all likel to be used

And do they live in XXI century or in Middle Ages?
Apart from that, according to the Bible in which they believe, believing in superstitions is a sin.

And do they live in XXI century or in Middle Ages?
Apart from that, according to the Bible in which they believe, believing in superstitions is a sin.
not at all sure what you mean. If they don't want to use the name John or think it is unlucky, they have a perfect right to do so

If they do not want to use John as John, use the Scottish equivalent of Ian.

I like that idea! Although I don't have the impression that they are overly Scotland-oriented (at least William and Catherine went to university there).

Last edited:
I had a giggle at an article that likened Harry's situation as a second son to that of Andrew who, not being obliged to adhere to tradition, named his daughters the unoyal equivalence of Apple and some other fruit.

Beatrice and Eugenie were new and radical? ?

I had a giggle at an article that likened Harry's situation as a second son to that of Andrew who, not being obliged to adhere to tradition, named his daughters the unoyal equivalence of Apple and some other fruit.

Beatrice and Eugenie were new and radical? ��

Not really. Beatrice and Eugenie were the names of a daughter and a granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

Or the Gaelic/Irish equivalent of Sean. Or the Spanish Juan. Or the French Jean. Or the German Johann. The possibilities are endless. :D

Not really. Beatrice and Eugenie were the names of a daughter and a granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

I think that was the point. They are Royal names and Beatrice at least isn't that uncommon for regular people.

:previous: I know, but I am still stunned at the sloppy, lazy, incompetent journalism. OK, with the Internet and social media the requirements of education are not so rigid or not even required. But how hard would it have been to check the girl's names? The guys are easier because the names of all the Kings etc. down through history are well known.

For a daughter the name could be Rosalind Cecilia Caroline. This is in honor of Rosalind Cecilia Caroline Hamilton, Duchess of Abercorn, a great-grandmother of Princess Diana.

For a daughter the name could be Rosalind Cecilia Caroline. This is in honor of Rosalind Cecilia Caroline Hamilton, Duchess of Abercorn, a great-grandmother of Princess Diana.

I don't see why they would use her full name. If they chose to honor her, one name would be plenty.

Why would it be used at all? Its generally thought to be "bad luck" by the RF.. and as has been pointed out it is also the name of Diana's liltte brother who died.. so its not at all likel to be used

Older brother, John Spencer died in 1960, a year before Diana was born.

Or the Gaelic/Irish equivalent of Sean. Or the Spanish Juan. Or the French Jean. Or the German Johann. The possibilities are endless.

Maybe the Gaelic or Scottish, at least there is a link. But why would they use a Spanish or German version? And Jean is a female name in the UK.

I hope it's a girl.

Alexandra Frances Doria
Victoria Rachel Caroline

More time for guesses:

Elizabeth Serena Loyce Frances - Bessie
Victoria Jeanne Harriette
Mary Victoria Jane Catherine

John Charles Henry Thomas - Johno
Angus Henry Charles Philip - Ango mango
Barry Christopher Robert Henry

Twins born on the 28th April, not at home
Godparents:
four of Harry's cousins,
three friends of Meghan, one friend of Harry.

More time for guesses:

Godparents:
four of Harry's cousins,

I like some of your suggestions, however, I doubt that the Sussex baby will receive more than three given names.

Victoria Daphne Jeanette

Dalilah Henrietta Frances

For a son Gerald could be used as a middle name.

Not sure they are close enough to the Lascelles to choose the name of the current Earl's Uncle as a middle name.

If it was just a random choice name and not for Gerald Lascelles. Well I guess there are thousands of names they 'could' use in the baby name books ?

More time for guesses:

Godparents:
four of Harry's cousins,

Having trouble picturing a Prince Barry :lol:

Cute. And Gerald is cute too.
Most names are acceptable and attractive though guessing what these two will actually call their child, taking the royal and family factors into account, is quite like gambling...in a non costly kind of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom