Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there would be fans needing CPR, and riots on social media, if Diana's granddaughter was named after Camilla ?

Francis is a cute name, but too old fashioned as first name. Especially for a boy. Posible as a middle name.

Maybe not though Camilla is a pretty name and Camilla has been welconing.

Let's think of some names that might provoke ..

Samantha Charlie Marie Antoinette
Stella Aquazzura Dioria Givenchy
Trevor Thomas Markle Rigby
Marco Polo Chukka Zen

Maybe not though Camilla is a pretty name and Camilla has been welconing.

Let's think of some names that might provoke ..

Samantha Charlie Marie Antoinette
Stella Aquazzura Dioria Givenchy
Trevor Thomas Markle Rigby
Marco Polo Chukka Zen
?????????
Hilarious!

For a son Richard could be used as a middle name. Richard, Duke of York was the father of King Edward IV.

I'm hoping they stick with traditional royal names. Boudicca or Eadgifu for a girl & Offa or Egbert for a boy. Hengist and Horsa for twins.

:eek:

Last edited:
I'm thinking they might ask a wounded warrior who has become close to Harry and Meghan through the Invictus games. It's obvious he is very close to and feels very strongly about his fellow veterans. Especially those who became disabled because of their service.

I'm thinking they might ask a wounded warrior who has become close to Harry and Meghan through the Invictus games. It's obvious he is very close to and feels very strongly about his fellow veterans. Especially those who became disabled because of their service.

I don't know. While he respects them, I don't think he is close enough to any he would give such an honor to. You usually choose someone you have a close link to, who you want to have a roll in your child's life.

For a son Richard could be used as a middle name. Richard, Duke of York was the father of King Edward IV.

And of course the three kings with the name :D

It certainly was thought a good first name by Prince Henry and Alice of Gloucester for their son :cool:

Richard would make a lovely first name. Middle names will likely have a more personal link (like grandpa/uncle or such). Edward Wessex has Richard as a middle name in honor of his godfather, the Duke of Gloucester.

I love Robert though or a good Scottish royal name. Really hoping for it.

At first I was certain it'd be a girl, now I'm leaning more towards it being a boy.

Alexander Philip Loyce, or
Alfred "Freddie" Charles Dorian (John), or
Theodore "Theo" Charles Loyce, or
John "Jack" Charles Philip (Loyce)

I love the idea of them honouring Doria no matter the gender of the baby. Loyce, her middle name, sounds very gender-neutral and there's always Dorian. Meghan's dad (and his family) is clearly a ****trumpet who isn't worth naming anyone for, so I think it'd be cool if they named a boy after her mama who seems like a badass woman.

As for girls names, I've been having a gut feeling about Rose all along. I also think Harry could be brave enough to go with Diana for the first name – although I hope they won't, not only do I think it'd be a burden for the kid, it also sounds terribly outdated.

Rose Doria Diana, or
Matilda (Diana) Elizabeth Doria, or
Augusta Frances Loyce (/Doria), or
Philippa Doria Diana

I have no idea about godparents but I would think it'd be neat if they picked Catherine. A subtly raised middle finger to everyone who likes to pit her and Meghan against each other.

I love Robert though or a good Scottish royal name. Really hoping for it.

Robert would be nice and has a connection with Sussex. Harry's ancestor Robert Radcliffe was created Earl of Sussex by Henry VIII in 1529.

Still thinking boy:

Robert Charles Henry
Phillip Henry Charles

In case of a girl, I'm stuck on two:

Mathilda Alexandra Diana/Doria Elizabeth
Jeanette Alexandra Diana/Doria Elizabeth

Godmothers:
Genevieve
Lindsay
Eugenie/Zara

Godfathers:
Mark Dyer

I'm convinced they are having a girl. :wub:

Alice and Victoria seem to be shoe-ins for a first name.
I'd like to see Diana only as middle name, as I think it would be too bold for a first name.

I really don't think Meghan would consider Loyce or Jeannette for any part of the name, even though they are found in her family tree. These names are incredibly old fashioned in the U.S., and no offense to anyone named as such, but they conjure up visions of a sweet little ole' grandma. :flowers:

Still my top pics: Alice or Mary as a first name..would like to see Ellen or Frances as one of the middle names.

Phillip or David for a boy ...Francis, Charles or Henry as one of the middle names.

LaRae

I know the chances of us guessing the right name are slim, but I do wish people would be a little more adventurous in picking some of the many lovely names that are out there. I am so tired of seeing Alice, Alexandra, Elizabeth etc for a little girl and Alfred, Arthur. Henry, Charles for a little boy. These names are the same that were suggested by so many for George, Charlotte and Louis. How about some originality to our choices.

My latest suggestions

Theodora Cecily Frances
Edwina Patricia Rose

Hamish Martin Philip
Patrick David Edmund.

I know the chances of us guessing the right name are slim, but I do wish people would be a little more adventurous in picking some of the many lovely names that are out there. I am so tired of seeing Alice, Alexandra, Elizabeth etc for a little girl and Alfred, Arthur. Henry, Charles for a little boy. These names are the same that were suggested by so many for George, Charlotte and Louis. How about some originality to our choices.

My latest suggestions

Theodora Cecily Frances
Edwina Patricia Rose

Hamish Martin Philip
Patrick David Edmund.

Carin, We think alike! Previously I had suggested Edwina. Someone thought it was to honor Edwina Mountbatten.

Trying to be a little more adventurous (but still looking within the royal family tree):
- Amelia for a girl (youngest daughter of George III) - could be with the nickname Emily (or even Emily as her formal name)
- Would Sophia be an option for a girl; or is it considered too old-fashioned in the UK? Sophie is probably less likely with Harry's aunt being already called Sophie.

Less likely choices for boys:
- Stuart (as first name; in reference to the 'Stuart' dynasty)
- Maximilian (or Max); son of Sophia of Hanover/the Electress
- John (ignoring the 'bad luck'; in reference of both Harry's paternal and maternal family)

Last edited:
Trying to be a little more adventurous (but still looking within the royal family tree):
- Amelia for a girl (youngest daughter of George III) - could be with the nickname Emily (or even Emily as her formal name)
- Would Sophia be an option for a girl; or is it considered too old-fashioned in the UK? Sophie is probably less likely with Harry's aunt being already called Sophie.

Less likely choices for boys:
- Stuart (as first name; in reference to the 'Stuart' dynasty)
- Maximilian (or Max); son of Sophia of Hanover/the Electress
- John (ignoring the 'bad luck'; in reference of both Harry's paternal and maternal family)

Not that it would prevent using it, but one of the Duke of Kent's grandaughters is Amelia.
Harry's maternal cousin is Emily Jane, daughter of his aunt Sarah.

"Stuart (as first name; in reference to the 'Stuart' dynasty)"
Why on earth would they do that? Are there not still Stuarts who are "Pretenders" to the throne that is held by Harry's grandmother?

I'm going wild here--they can name a boy Winston or a daughter Clementine.

Last edited:
Emily is very English, Amelia is sweet and Amalia is cute.
Clementine is lovely and it's other varieties - Clemency and Clemence.
Great name options are multiple.

Amalia Elizabeth Rose Doria
Zara Diana Clemence Meghan
Charles Richard Henry Philip
John Charles Henry William

Another of my dates has come and gone so I'm rethinking that too.
First twin 10th April and second twin 14th April.

Last edited:
Not that it would prevent using it, but one of the Duke of Kent's grandaughters is Amelia.
Harry's maternal cousin is Emily Jane, daughter of his aunt Sarah.

"Stuart (as first name; in reference to the 'Stuart' dynasty)"
Why on earth would they do that? Are there not still Stuarts who are "Pretenders" to the throne that is held by Harry's grandmother?

I'm going wild here--they can name a boy Winston or a daughter Clementine.

The Windsors have just as much Stuart blood as the Jacobite claim. The Jacobites simply have the senior claim.

The Jacobite claimant is Franz, Duke in Bavaria (after him his brother Max and niece Sophie of Lichtenstein). Anne died in 1714. Naturally her cousins would be next to look at. Charles I only had 4 children who reached adulthood. Charles II and James II and their lines were dead. Elizabeth only had one son who was King William III of England. That left Henriette-Anne. Unfortunately Henriette was catholic so her line was barred. Franz is descended from Henriette-Anne. Henriette's youngest daughter was alive when Anne died, and would have been the natural next in line.

Because they were Catholics succession turned to an older but still Stuart line. Charles I had only 2 siblings who reached adulthood, and only one of whom married (Henry died at 18). Elizabeth's grandson became George I. George's mother had an older brother, but his only child still alive had married a Catholic so she was barred as well.

Jacobite or Hannoverian, there was going to be a foreigner on the throne. It would simply have been the French Orleans over the German Hannoverians. The male line was gone.

But no I don't see them using a surname like Stuart as a first name now.

Funny enough the other name suggested with Stuart was Max, and Max is Franz's heir's name (his brother).

The Windsors have just as much Stuart blood as the Jacobite claim. The Jacobites simply have the senior claim.

The Jacobite claimant is Franz, Duke in Bavaria (after him his brother Max and niece Sophie of Lichtenstein). Anne died in 1714. Naturally her cousins would be next to look at. Charles I only had 4 children who reached adulthood. Charles II and James II and their lines were dead. Elizabeth only had one son who was King William III of England. That left Henriette-Anne. Unfortunately Henriette was catholic so her line was barred. Franz is descended from Henriette-Anne. Henriette's youngest daughter was alive when Anne died, and would have been the natural next in line.

Because they were Catholics succession turned to an older but still Stuart line. Charles I had only 2 siblings who reached adulthood, and only one of whom married (Henry died at 18). Elizabeth's grandson became George I. George's mother had an older brother, but his only child still alive had married a Catholic so she was barred as well.

Jacobite or Hannoverian, there was going to be a foreigner on the throne. It would simply have been the French Orleans over the German Hannoverians. The male line was gone.

But no I don't see them using a surname like Stuart as a first name now.

Funny enough the other name suggested with Stuart was Max, and Max is Franz's heir's name (his brother).
Henrietta Anne's daughter wasn't next in line when Queen Anne died. Anne's half-brother James (the Old Pretender) was. Henrietta Anne's descendants didn't inherit the Jacobite claim until 1807 when the Old Pretender's younger son Henry Cardinal York died.

Or Clement/Violet, Denis/Margaret, Tony/Cherie, etc [emoji1]

What about Theresa or Philip (well, that last one wouldn't be seen as in reference to the PM's husband :whistling:).

If Harry and Meghan want to stick with British royal names I suppose they could choose Eleanor, Isabella, John, Geoffrey, Richard, Joanna, Robert, Stephen, Mary, Christina, Alexander, David, or Edmund (all medieval). Hanoverian names include Amelia (already suggested), Frederick, Frederica, and Caroline. Or maybe names from Philip's Greek/Russian side: Marina, Natalia, Kira, Nicholas, Alexander (again), Paul, Alexis, Anastasia, Christopher, Tatiana, Olga, Theodora, Theodore, Constantine, Vera, Gabriel, Helen.

Another possible option for "daddy's little girl" would be Harriette. Along with being named after her father, there are plenty of strong women in history with the name Harriette.

Seeing as the name means "strong ruler", it'd be perfect for a little girl that has her daddy twisted around her little finger. :lol:

I would think Henriette far more likely, as her father (if a girl) is Henry. It is also a royal name ala the discussion of the Jacobites above.

But both are pretty old fashioned. I don't think either would make the top of the list of names.

I didn't think of Harriette in that perspective but rather a melding of English royal names (Harry, Henry) and adding a twist of Harriet Beecher Stowe and Harriet Tubman into the mix. But you're right that the name is old fashioned and not anywhere near the top 10. We'd have a Princess Harry though should the children attain HRH upon Charles becoming King.

If its a girl though, I'd wager she'll bear a name that is a strong one and this girl will be raised to know that she can do anything she puts her mind to. Of course the same will apply to a son. I'm looking forward now to the announcement of a name almost as much as I am looking forward to seeing Harry's face after the birth.

This baby is going to have one wonderful set of parents. That's a given. :D

Godparents

I imagine the godparents will be people that are close to the couple and were totally on board with them getting married.

Possible godfathers:
Mark Dyer
Jake Warren
Adam Bidwell
Nicholas van Cutsem
Markus Andersson

Possible godmother
Benita Litt
Zara Tindall
Princess Eugenie
Lindsay Roth
Violet von Westenholz

Long shots:
George Clooney
Oprah
Rick Hoffman
Tom Inskip

Throwing this into the mix on godparents that probably will never happen but would be nice if it did.

HM, The Queen as a godparent. :D

To be honest, I think she'd refuse the honor as she's realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom