Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many Americans do you know have the name Prentice? Because this American doesn't and it's an odd and rare name for an American.
Funnily, I do know an American named Prentice, and he is from Houston, Texas.

Prince Edward's daughter Louise was 8th in line at the time of her birth and she has very regal names (Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary Mountbatten-Windsor).

Prentice - really??
It's entirely the choice of the parents. This thread is really about suggestions, so you no need to roll over

Funnily, I do know an American named Prentice, and he is from Houston, Texas.

It's definitely a very Texas sounding name. But regardless, quite uncommon in US. Yea, don't see that for Meghan and Harry.

It's definitely a very Texas sounding name. But regardless, quite uncommon in US. Yea, don't see that for Meghan and Harry.

I thought Prentice sounded more Ivy League prep school than Texas.

I'd love to see an old name like Portia used!

LaRae

New England rather than Upper East Side.

I wouldn't rule out the South. There are some pretty pretentious names get used in the South at times. Although, my guess would be more Southwest than Southeast.

Yes I've seen it used in England and the U.S.

LaRae

If Harry and Meghan decide to go for a more adventurous name, I think it'll be a name that won't be adventurous for us but will be for the BRF; along the lines of Princess Anne's grandchildren (Savannah, Isla, Mia, Lena). I'd quite like them to revive a lesser used royal name though, such as Adelaide for girls or Francis for boys.
I'm still betting on a Lady Mary but do really like the idea of a Lord Edmund now.

If Harry and Meghan decide to go for a more adventurous name, I think it'll be a name that won't be adventurous for us but will be for the BRF; along the lines of Princess Anne's grandchildren (Savannah, Isla, Mia, Lena). I'd quite like them to revive a lesser used royal name though, such as Adelaide for girls or Francis for boys.
I'm still betting on a Lady Mary but do really like the idea of a Lord Edmund now.

NO Adelaide...that's for my little girl. OK...I'm being a little selfish, but I absolutely love this name for a girl. Adelaide and Charlotte were 2 choices if I ever had a girl.

Also, love Francis for a boy, honours Diana.

NO Adelaide...that's for my little girl. OK...I'm being a little selfish, but I absolutely love this name for a girl. Adelaide and Charlotte were 2 choices if I ever had a girl.

Also, love Francis for a boy, honours Diana.

:D The way I see it is that the more people who use my favourite names (my personal style is very European, with a lot of unusual choices) the better as I can hear them more often! My favourite girl's choice is Adelina, with Leo being my favourite boy's choice, and if a royal used either I'd be very happy!

:previous: Lord Edmund would be distinguished. Prince George, Duke of Kent was George Edward Alexander Edmund.

We'd never hear the end of it if the baby was named Lady (or Princess) Madison. I like Frances/Francis personally.

I like Frances/Francis ..I really want that to be somewhere in the baby's name. I also like Ellen, Sofia, Emily, Alice, Mary ...Phillip, Alexander, James etc

LaRae

:previous: Lord Edmund would be distinguished. Prince George, Duke of Kent was George Edward Alexander Edmund.

If Edmund was used, doubt the duke of Kent would be considered. Edmund has a very deep royal pedigree. I would love to see it used again, as an alternative to the commonly used Edward.

-Edmund I of England was a son of Alfred the great
-Edmund II was son of Ethelred
-Edmund the martyr was a king of East Anglia
- Edmund of Scotland was a short reigned king, son of Malcolm III
-Edmund Tudor was the father of Henry VII
-Edmund, Duke of York was the son of Edward III and ancestor to Edward IV/Richard III
-Edmund crouchback was a son of Henry III

I like Frances/Francis ..I really want that to be somewhere in the baby's name. I also like Ellen, Sofia, Emily, Alice, Mary ...Phillip, Alexander, James etc

I don't see Meghan and Harry going old fashion like Francis or Ellen. Some old names have become trendy but neither of those. Perhaps Francis as a middle name as honor to Diana but not likely as a first.

I don't know, Edmund still reminds me of the Blackadder comedy series :lol:

If they go for "oldfashioned" imo Arthur or Alfred are more likely

I don't mind David, Alexander or Leo. I just can't see them going out of left field on boys names, which have always been more traditional in the BRF. There's a wider choice with girls but they can't stick out like sore thumbs either. I really like Victoria and Alice, but don't think Harry and Meghan would pick those. However, I can see Elizabeth, Diana and/or Frances as middle names.

I think its actually possible that Harry and Meghan may name their daughter Rachel. It wouldn't be the first time a mother gave her daughter one of her own names. The Queen Mum comes to mind.

Has Portia ever been used outside literature?

Allegedly it is the female form of a Roman patrician family named Porcius - but as the name probably comes from the word for pigs, which was allegedly what made the family rich, I really doubt they would use it.

Allegedly it is the female form of a Roman patrician family named Porcius - but as the name probably comes from the word for pigs, which was allegedly what made the family rich, I really doubt they would use it.

Yes I know. I also doubt they'd use it.. I don't know of anyone who used it outside of fiction... since Roman days.

Adelaide and Francis are nice perhaps for middle names. Somehow, I doubt Adelaide though would even be under consideration. I don't like the sound of 'Lady Adelaide.' It's a mouthful, and so spinstery old-fashioned. Addie for short, eh. :lol: Francis or Frances might be considered because of the connection to Diana Frances Spencer.

Oh, I just had a thought that Spencer could be one of a boy's middle names, i.e.,
Philip Spencer Charles or David Spencer Edward or Jonathan Adam Spencer, or John Charles Spencer (in honor of Diana's father and Harry's father). Perhaps Hugh is another possibility, or Philip Mark Spencer.

I personally don't like the name Edmund, but I like the shortened Eddie. As far as girl's names beginning with an 'A,' Abigail seems a possibility in honor of Meghan's friend, with Abby or Gail as a nickname. Maybe Abigail Jeanette Diana (with the middle names honoring Meghan's maternal grandmother and Harry's mother). Doris is also a possibilty as that was Meghan's paternal grandmother's name.

May or Mary are possibilities, as those are names on Meghan's paternal side, and also Mary is a British royal family name. Of course, I doubt very much that 'Thomas' would be considered.

Last edited:
I don't think that royal children are ever given surnames as names.... and as someone's said Edmund tends to remind English people of Blackadder...But who knows.

:previous: Ah, that's interesting. But I guess there's always a first time. ;)

Once the baby is born, and the names announced, it'll be fun to go back and see who got it right or the closest. ?

I still think maybe there's a possibiity they might choose a Botswanian name as one of the child's middle names.

This article features name prediction odds:
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entert...kle-prince-harry-royal-baby-name-predictions/

Last edited:
in the biblical theme: although i'm notoriously bad at guessing babynames i would bet money on them not using "Judas" ?

i'd also sooner expect a name with royal history than biblical history

Esther is a name mentioned in the Bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom