Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't that be something? They announce the pregnancy when they land in Sydney, Australia and then decide to name their first born daughter Sydney. Our friends Down Under would be over the moon with that and the crowds would be even larger should Harry and Meghan and family pay another visit to Australia in the future. :D

When did Harry supposedly say this about the name?

LaRae

I think it's a little boy.

However, as a previous poster mentioned, I also wondered if they'd have the genetic testing done you can have before 12 weeks due to her age and/or personal preference. If so, they'd already know unless they chose to keep the sex unknown. I am still saying boy but Harry's comment threw me a little, I admit, haha. I also heard him tell a couple people they didn't know if it was a boy or girl yet but THAT I could see him just saying. The "So do I!" is what confused my certainty that it's a boy.

I am HORRIBLE with names and never ever guess even remotely right but I suppose it's all in good fun!

Girl: Eleanor Frances Elizabeth

Boy: Philip Henry David

Godparents: I have no idea other than WHO introduced them?! Because if I were them I'd expect to be first on the list, haha. :p

:previous: Just because an amnio was done, it doesn’t mean they know the gender. They can choose not to find out. I don’t know about UK, but in US, if parents choose not to find out, they won’t even put it in the file to prevent telling the parents by accident.

:previous: Just because an amnio was done, it doesn’t mean they know the gender. They can choose not to find out. I don’t know about UK, but in US, if parents choose not to find out, they won’t even put it in the file to prevent telling the parents by accident.

Yes. That is what I said up above - that they may not have chosen to find the sex out even if they did have genetic testing performed. ?

Godparents: I have no idea other than WHO introduced them?! Because if I were them I'd expect to be first on the list, haha. :p

The most plausible I've heard is Violet von Westenholz. She was at the wedding, but seated in the Nave instead of with Markus Anderson and the likes in Quire. Although, it could mean nothing since seats were so limited. Even the Dyers and Inskips sat in the Nave.

:previous: Was Violet von Westenholz the lady who introduced Harry and Meghan?

That's pretty clever. And it's pretty too. ?

or a current trend of 2 names = a truncated name - like Ivy Mulroney - her real name is Isabel Veronica =IV = Ivy.

Jenna Bush Hager's daughter is Margaret Laura for the 2 grandmothers and they call her Mila

Diana Doria = DD - Didi

or

Doria Diana = Dodi - but ... uhhh no.:ohmy:

:previous: Was Violet von Westenholz the lady who introduced Harry and Meghan?

It seems to be pretty much accepted by most she is. While I think they appreciate she introduced them, not sure she is close enough to either to be assured a godparent role. They both have much closer friends and his family.

or a current trend of 2 names = a truncated name - like Ivy Mulroney - her real name is Isabel Veronica =IV = Ivy.

Jenna Bush Hager's daughter is Margaret Laura for the 2 grandmothers and they call her Mila

Diana Doria = DD - Didi

or

Doria Diana = Dodi - but ... uhhh no.:ohmy:

I love your sense humour -
sometimes you just go to LOL

Maybe they fuse Doria and Diana to Doriana ?

I have to do this. Or Dioria. :lol::eek::whistling: And now I can't quit laughing. People who pun are just the worst, and I admit it completely in this case.

So much interesting conversation here.

I like the chances of Victoria for a girl. The Doris/Victoria is cool. Sydney is still a boys' name mostly even though it was trendy for American girls a few years ago. (Like Charlie is right now) I don't predict boys' names for a girl.
I think that as soon as Charles becomes King the HRH will apply to any child of Harry's as is the rule now.
Scottish names are pretty:

Victoria Skye Isobel Margaret and Charles Alistair Stuart Albert
Lucy Victoria Mary Elspeth and Hamish David Taffy Malcolm
Heather Alison Catriona Meg and Angus Lachlan Alexander Henry

I have to do this. Or Dioria. :lol::eek::whistling: And now I can't quit laughing. People who pun are just the worst, and I admit it completely in this case.

Oh dear! The child could shop at Diadora .....

Last edited by a moderator:
So much interesting conversation here.

I like the chances of Victoria for a girl. The Doris/Victoria is cool. Sydney is still a boys' name mostly even though it was trendy for American girls a few years ago. (Like Charlie is right now) I don't predict boys' names for a girl.
I think that as soon as Charles becomes King the HRH will apply to any child of Harry's as is the rule now.
Scottish names are pretty:

Victoria Skye Isobel Margaret and Charles Alistair Stuart Albert
Lucy Victoria Mary Elspeth and Hamish David Taffy Malcolm
Heather Alison Catriona Meg and Angus Lachlan Alexander Henry

i guess depends on the country. Sydney is far more common for a girl for the past 30 years.

If we see any Aussie name I don't see anything beyond Victoria or Adelaide.

I don't think they are going to go off the track for Taffy and such. There are plenty of lovely Scottush royal names without going into the Outlander books.

Another name I have been thinking about for a boy is Edward or David because of the obvious parallels between King Edward and Harry's choice of partner - divorced American - and how it has come full circle. I know the circumstances are different with Prince Harry not being the reigning monarch, but the Queen saw what effect NOT allowing that marriage had on her life, she was more accepting of it with her grandson in her later years. So to honour the Queen's favourite Uncle and parallel narrative, I like the combo of:

Edward Charles Philip Thomas

And I still like for a girl:

Victoria Elizabeth Margaret Diana

Let me get this straight. You think that it is a good idea to name the child of a bi-racial woman after someone who was a known racist? And I think the last thing that Harry and Meghan would want is to have their child/children named after an 'American divorcee' connection!

Last edited:
There are no 'safe' names...you can always find something negative about a name. Let them name their child whatever they want.

LaRae

There are no 'safe' names...you can always find something negative about a name. Let them name their child whatever they want.

LaRae

There is a difference between just a name and naming after someone. An

Another name I have been thinking about for a boy is Edward or David because of the obvious parallels between King Edward and Harry's choice of partner - divorced American - and how it has come full circle. I know the circumstances are different with Prince Harry not being the reigning monarch, but the Queen saw what effect NOT allowing that marriage had on her life, she was more accepting of it with her grandson in her later years. So to honour the Queen's favourite Uncle and parallel narrative, I like the combo of:

The difference between Edwards VIII and Harry’s wives end at the American divorcee. Could not be more different as people.

Let me get this straight. You think that it is a good idea to name the child of a bi-racial woman after someone who was a known racist? And I think the last thing that Harry and Meghan would want is to have their child/children named after an 'American divorcee' connection!

Well if that is your view, Meghan better watch out! Her husband is named after a known wife beheader! To us these names have some negative historical connotations or connections, but to the royal family they are just "family names" ?

Girl -
Bianca Frances Elizabeth
Ayana Jeanette Alexandra
Dorothea Frances Elizabeth
Mariel Frances Dorothea
Michelle Jane Elizabeth
Rachel Amal Alexandra
Alexandra Frances Dorothea
Caroline Rachel Alexandra
Edie Alexandra Frances

Boy -
Henry Philip Dembe
Joseph Philip Charles
Euan Henry Philip

I would have to give boys names more thought!

Somewhat unique that they could use their own proper first names but not be called Harry or Meghan.

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s name ideas!

I also think Rosa Jeanette Alexandra is beautiful, especially with the flower connection.

And maybe Amal Clooney as a Godparent?

Errr I believe for the Queen the process of acceptance of divorce & remarriage within her family actually began with her own children. Trying to connect Harry’s choice of wife, a lovely bi-racial lady, to a twice-divorced woman from almost a century ago and who had real life links to Nazis is just absurd. The American Nationality is all they had in common. Also I just can’t see H&M opting for the name ‘Thomas’ but God does love a trier.

Last edited:
I also think Rosa Jeanette Alexandra is beautiful, especially with the flower connection.

And maybe Amal Clooney as a Godparent?

Seeing as Meghan's mother fondly called her "Flower", they could name their daughter Penelope and we'd have a Poppy in the family.

I don't really think that they're going to go too far outside of the box with names. It will be something unique to the child yet could be seen as standard, traditional names.

That will definitely be a double whammy for Harry then. He's already been totally smitten by his wife and with a daughter, he'll be doubly bamboozled to the nth degree. Of course, with Harry, this will happen even if the child is a boy. He's going to make such an excellent father. :D

I just hope somewhere they're able to pick a name from Meghan's side of the family.

Getting back to this child, obviously they won't name him/her Blueberry Sparkle or anything outlandish. But, I find it odd that certain names that aren't the least bit unusual are deemed "not royal". But even though there have been a lot of Henrys in the family throughout history at some point someone was the first. to have it. If we had a slew of King Matthews that Harry had been named after and there had never been a Henry, would Henry be out of the running for his and Meghan's child?

And is Meghan (or Rachel) a royal name now, since there's a royal duchess with those names? Not that I see them naming a child after themselves. But, with the possibility of the child having three or four names, I hope no one would begrudge one of those names coming from Meghan's side, even if it hasn't been used before on Harry's.

Getting back to this child, obviously they won't name him/her Blueberry Sparkle or anything outlandish. But, I find it odd that certain names that aren't the least bit unusual are deemed "not royal". But even though there have been a lot of Henrys in the family throughout history at some point someone was the first. to have it. If we had a slew of King Matthews that Harry had been named after and there had never been a Henry, would Henry be out of the running for his and Meghan's child?

The truth of it is, people like to make up rules about what names Harry and Meghan can use, without anything to support it. The idea that Harry and Meghan are restricted to naming their children after previous kings, or even just previous British royals, doesn’t hold true of you look at the names of other members of the family. After all, Louis, Eugenie, Andrew, and Prince Michael all get their given names from non-British royals.

where do you ge the idea that the D of Windsor was her favourite u ncle…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Let me get this straight. You think that it is a good idea to name the child of a bi-racial woman after someone who was a known racist? And I think the last thing that Harry and Meghan would want is to have their child/children named after an 'American divorcee' connection![/QUOTE]

Well if that is your view, Meghan better watch out! Her husband is named after a known wife beheader! To us these names have some negative historical connotations or connections, but to the royal family they are just "family names" ?

I thought Prince Henry (Harry) was named after Prince Charles's late great uncle Prince Henry of Gloucester, and Prince William named after Prince Henry's late son Prince William of Gloucester. Prince William of Gloucester was Prince Richard of Gloucester's elder brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom