The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!
Boy 55 29.10%
Girl 105 55.56%
Twins - Boy/Boy 3 1.59%
Twins - Boy/Girl 19 10.05%
Twins - Girl/Girl 7 3.70%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Majesty

I have also thought of Louis Spencer as a godfather. Am I correct to use the term godfather or should it be godparent?

Old 06-22-2019, 11:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Godparents when you are speaking in general. Godfather or mother of specific person. No need for neutrality.

A Spencer cousin may be nice. Not sure how close he is to Louis. May choose one of his other cousins.

I would love to see Seeiso though I believe he is catholic. He could still serve but may be termed a witness instead.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:34 AM
Serene Highness

Godparents:
The Duchess of Cambridge / Kate Middleton
Jessica Mulroney (supporting friend if she has not been baptized)
Mark Dyer
Old 06-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Not sure why people are guessing the Cambridges since they have made neither Harry nor Meghan godparents to any of their three children. And even they were to make one of them godparent, it’s far more likely to be William than Kate. If they are going to choose more immediate family for godparent, I hope they choose the Prince of Wales.

As for cousins, I do agree with George or Celia McCorquodale. Although, the Sussexes seem very close to Baroness Fellowes. She did a reading at the Sussex wedding and she was the only one from Harry’s maternal family to be there. So maybe one of her children, or even herself, as godparent?
Old 06-23-2019, 01:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Not sure why people are guessing the Cambridges since they have made neither Harry nor Meghan godparents to any of their three children. And even they were to make one of them godparent, it’s far more likely to be William than Kate. If they are going to choose more immediate family for godparent, I hope they choose the Prince of Wales.

As for cousins, I do agree with George or Celia McCorquodale. Although, the Sussexes seem very close to Baroness Fellowes. She did a reading at the Sussex wedding and she was the only one from Harry’s maternal family to be there. So maybe one of her children, or even herself, as godparent?

There were other members of the Spencer family at the Sussex wedding. Baroness Fellowes and her husband were the only members of Spencer side to leave the church with the bridal party but others were there. Lord Spencers first wife also attended the wedding, along with his adult children, and current wife.

His other Aunt attended as well.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
There were other members of the Spencer family at the Sussex wedding. Baroness Fellowes and her husband were the only members of Spencer side to leave the church with the bridal party but others were there. Lord Spencers first wife also attended the wedding, along with his adult children, and current wife.

His other Aunt attended as well.
I know that. But my point was, it seems Baroness Fellowes was given more of prominent role.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I know that. But my point was, it seems Baroness Fellowes was given more of prominent role.

I have obviously mis understood this part of your post .........see below

She did a reading at the Sussex wedding and she was the only one from Harry’s maternal family to be there. So maybe one of her children, or even herself, as godparent?

Apologies if I misquoted you,...
Old 06-23-2019, 02:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don’t see why William and Catherine would be godparents, it’s never made sense to me to have a family member as a godparent as they’re always going to be closer to the child anyway. It’s clearly the route William and Catherine have took as well.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

I still don't see William and Kate as godparents. But also don't see Charles. Grandparents as godparents are a thing of the past with the BRF. If a Windsor I stand by a cousin.

William chose Zara as he was close to her and Peter growing up. Harry seems much closer to the Yorks. He holidays with them. For me it's a toss up between a York or a Spencer cousin.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
He holidays with them.

I’ve never heard this...
Old 06-23-2019, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I’ve never heard this...
There are at least two well documented holidays with the yorks including Fergie to Verbier. One in 2013 with Cress and in 2015 after Bea left Sony.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2013...s-ski-vacation
Old 06-23-2019, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I have obviously mis understood this part of your post .........see below

She did a reading at the Sussex wedding and she was the only one from Harry’s maternal family to be there. So maybe one of her children, or even herself, as godparent?

Apologies if I misquoted you,...
Oh sorry. I must have missed a few words typing on my phone. I meant on the steps after the wedding.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:40 PM
Majesty

Could a married couple such as Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank both be godparents?
Old 06-24-2019, 05:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Could a married couple such as Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank both be godparents?
Of course. There is absolutely no restrictions against it. I know quite a few families that have done exactly that in both Catholic and Protestant faiths.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Of course. There is absolutely no restrictions against it. I know quite a few families that have done exactly that in both Catholic and Protestant faiths.
I know this has been done in the Roman Catholic faith. However, I did not know if it was done in the Anglican Church of England.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am CoE and my godparents where my aunt and uncle (married to each other). So yes it is possible for a married couple to be godparents in the CoE.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Used to be common. Especially as godparents were also once intended as guardians if something happened. It made more sense they were married. My sister has our at the time married aunt and uncle. I have my grandmothers sisters instead of a godfather.

There are plenty of cases in older generations where royals had couples among their godparents. Often their grandparents.

The queen had her paternal grandparents
Old 06-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Yea, I think that's simply down to personal preference of the parents.

The CoE only has restrictions on the religion of the godparent, which makes sense. The degree of which can be up to the clergy, I believe, but generally basic requirement is to be baptized themselves obviously.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I doubt that a grandfather is going to be made a godparent.

My guess is perhaps one of the van Straubenzee's, Markus Anderson, Mark Dyer, possibly Tiggy (Legge-Bourke) Pettifer, and one of Diana's friends, and/or perhaps one of the Spencers. Of Meghan's other friends, I suppose they would have to be Protestant in order to serve as godparents (none of Jessica, Misha, Priyanka, Lindsay, nor Serena are Protestant AFAIK). If Benita Litt is, then she may get the nod. Or, we'll likely be surprised at who is chosen altogether.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Of Meghan's other friends, I suppose they would have to be Protestant in order to serve as godparents...
They don’t have to be Protestant, they just have to be baptized into a Christian religion. So, Catholic or Eastern Orthodox would be fine.

Closed Thread