The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!
Boy 55 29.10%
Girl 105 55.56%
Twins - Boy/Boy 3 1.59%
Twins - Boy/Girl 19 10.05%
Twins - Girl/Girl 7 3.70%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I highly doubt Thomas will be in the mix. Either way, though, the Markles will make a comment (Meghan's brother has apparently just said that he hopes the baby will teach her "what family really means") so they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. But I still think it's best PR wise if the name is avoided all together.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-07-2019, 05:18 PM
Administrator

I think the new baby will be given just three names as was done with the Cambridge children.

I'm guessing names such as James, John, Richard and David might be used.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I highly doubt Thomas will be in the mix. Either way, though, the Markles will make a comment (Meghan's brother has apparently just said that he hopes the baby will teach her "what family really means") so they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. But I still think it's best PR wise if the name is avoided all together.
Not to mention, Thomas isn't just Thomas Sr.'s name, but there's Jr. as well. Can you imagine what they would do? There are better alternatives.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:50 PM
Royal Highness

Henry Charles Philip after his three ancestors on paternal side.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Nobility

I think he'll have three names not used by anyone in the current royal family.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 PM
Aristocracy

As long as ALVIN is not the first name. Middle name, ok, but can you imagine the torment the poor lad would go through if that was his first name?
Was a normal name decades and decades ago. Now, because of popular culture, definitely NOT.

Sometimes names that were used a century or so ago cannot be (mostly) now. Another example is Conan. Still used in certain parts of Britain, Scotland, and Wales, but outside of that............nope......mostly. Blame Robert E. Howard for that. Even Conan O'Brien says he would not recommend giving children that name today.

Just my point of view.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Even if they pick a totally original first name I doubt they will boycott Harry entire family in all three names. He is still a Windsor and royal baby even without hrh.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would like Alexander Spencer Philip. Or Spencer Alexander Philip Thomas, as my name suggestions.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Still hoping for David, James, Phillip or Alexander....and Francis as one of the middle names!

LaRae
Old 05-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Majesty

Ernest could be used as a middle name.
What if the baby has only two names?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 PM

All right, here's a guess.

Patrick Philip David (despite the sad history with Patrick being the name of the Kents' stillborn son)
Old 05-07-2019, 09:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
In theory I like the idea of Thomas being included as an olive branch/nod to the good times, but in reality I think it would be a PR disaster to name the baby for a father she’s not speaking to.
It is because of this reason that I think "Thomas" will definitely be included in the mix. That way it paints Meghan in a favourable, forgiving and faultless light. It puts all the discord and bitterness with Thomas Sr which is actually good PR (for the Sussexes).

It could be the second or third middle name, as per my previous suggestions (Alexander Charles Thomas or Alfred "Fred" Charles Edward Thomas) but it will be there!

The name Thomas also appears to be associated with the Earls of Sussex, which is different to the Dukedom but...
Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
It is because of this reason that I think "Thomas" will definitely be included in the mix. That way it paints Meghan in a favourable, forgiving and faultless light. It puts all the discord and bitterness with Thomas Sr which is actually good PR (for the Sussexes).

It could be the second or third middle name, as per my previous suggestions (Alexander Charles Thomas or Alfred "Fred" Charles Edward Thomas) but it will be there!

The name Thomas also appears to be associated with the Earls of Sussex, which is different to the Dukedom but...
This is not good PR in reality. It only serve to give more oxygen to the fire. The child does not deserve this.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

I agree, the baby is not a PR statement, he is a baby. Besides the media and detractors would still spin it to make her look bad.

There are other ways to include the Markles without using Thomas. Her grandfather was Gordon. She has a John in the Markle family tree, could honor both sides of the baby's family.

Quote:
Ernest could be used as a middle name.
What if the baby has only two names?
Ernest is a bit too old fashioned for a first name. And middle names will likely have a far more personal link.

I don't see them going for two names. At the very least 3. Besides Margaret, it has been a long time since they used less then 3 names.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
Henry Charles Philip after his three ancestors on paternal side.
I really like this name, and I think calling him Henry would be adorable.

Charles Philip Henry sounds good too, and Charlie is such a cute little boy’s name.

I also like Cedric, John, Frederick and Micah. John Frederick sounds nice. I’ve heard others mention Joseph, I wonder if Joel could be an option too. But I’ve no real idea what they might choose.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:20 AM
Nobility

One last guess - Marcus Charles Phillip Henry.

When you say a name often enough you become convinced. Still hoping for a surprise and no Albert, Alfred or Arthur. Alexander is fine.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Or Marcus Philip Victor and the kid'll really be a MVP of the royal family.

Oooh.. there's a name I've not seen before. Victor after Victoria. Has there been a Victor in the BRF before?
Old 05-08-2019, 12:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Oooh.. there's a name I've not seen before. Victor after Victoria. Has there been a Victor in the BRF before?
Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence the eldest son of Edward VII and Alexandra. Engaged to Queen Mary when he died in 1892 of the flu.

Not as a first name, but as a middle name it was common among the descendants of Victoria (who wanted her descendants to carry the name of her and her husband). The feminine of Albert was also used. Wilhelm II of Germany (Vicky), Friedrich of Hesse (Alice), Prince Christian Victor (Helena) and Prince Maurice of Battenberg (Beatrice) all had it.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Prince Albert Victor- son of Edward VII, elder brother of George V. He died at age 28.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thanks for the quick replies. At least tomorrow we'll most likely know the son's name and get a break for a while until another pregnancy is announced. I think I'm all out of names to guess.