The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!
Boy 55 29.10%
Girl 105 55.56%
Twins - Boy/Boy 3 1.59%
Twins - Boy/Girl 19 10.05%
Twins - Girl/Girl 7 3.70%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It seems Harry is close to his Spencer cousins; any guesses of whom in particular he is closest to that might serve as godparent?
My guess is either George or Celia.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don’t know if they will specifically name him for the Spencer’s. But names over lap. Charles would both be for grandpa and Earl Spencer.

I wouldn’t be shocked if instead of a Windsor cousin he chooses spencer as godparent. Celia may be a nice choice. Meghan attended her wedding. I believe he also socialized with Kitty.

Would love if they chose a Scottish name. And not Alexander that has been used enough in the family.

Malcolm Charles Philip, Earl of Dumbarton

Or would love

Philip Charles Alvin

If going predictable

Alexander Charles Henry

Old 05-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Someone on another site bought up the idea of Dorian in honour of Doria again after the baby's birth announcement, and I'm really loving the idea especially since the baby is an Earl so will be able to have a more "relaxed" name should the Sussexes wish to give him one. Dorian Edmund Charles would be a really handsome combination.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
It would be interesting to see Earl Spencer as a godparent..or perhaps his oldest son, which Harry does seem closer too.

I'm hoping for one of the middle names to be Francis, not sure they would do Spencer itself. I don't tend to think so.

LaRae
Francis would be nice to (although in the Netherlands it's more common for women than men) as it also has the paternal (father of queen Mary) and Spencer (various) connection.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Commoner

Albert Phillip Henry
Old 05-06-2019, 04:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Someone on another site bought up the idea of Dorian in honour of Doria again after the baby's birth announcement, and I'm really loving the idea especially since the baby is an Earl so will be able to have a more "relaxed" name should the Sussexes wish to give him one. Dorian Edmund Charles would be a really handsome combination.
OTOH, when he goes to school, will he get "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" jabs? Worth thinking about.

"Hey, Dorian...… why does your portrait age but you don't? Deal with the Devil perhaps?"

Seriously, though (just joking, folks)...…..that would be an interesting and lovely name. Harry and Meghan know what they are doing and I am sure their choice will be a well-thought of, appropriate, and even offbeat (as befits their lifestyle and fame) name.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:00 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtahHotep View Post
OTOH, when he goes to school, will he get "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" jabs? Worth thinking about.

"Hey, Dorian...… why does your portrait age but you don't? Deal with the Devil perhaps?"
You are too generous to mere schoolboys - they would better know Dorian from "Walking Deads" video game.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Arthur Charles Philip
Alexander Charles Philip
Albert Charles Philip
Old 05-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Francis would be nice to (although in the Netherlands it's more common for women than men) as it also has the paternal (father of queen Mary) and Spencer (various) connection.
Here there are two spellings...one denotes male (Francis) and the other indicates female (Frances) ...of course there are variations too.

LaRae
Old 05-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daenys View Post
You are too generous to mere schoolboys - they would better know Dorian from "Walking Deads" video game.
I guess. I've never heard of that game, believe it or not. Fortnite, Assassin's Creed, etc...….but not that one.

Blame it on me being in my late forties. Sorry. I remember when Atari was somewhat of my spirit animal.

LOL.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Courtier

A poster on one of the other threads suggested Spencer would be in the mix. Possibly not the first name but that is a thought to honour his mother. I also think Charles will be there. I would like Philip to be included. How about Charles , Philip Spencer.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I think Nelson sounds too much like a last name, and it doesn't have that great a ring added to Earl of Dumbarton. Probably Harry & Meghan have names in mind, as Harry indicated they've had a bit of time to do some thinking since the baby was late arriving.

I wonder if they actually kept to their admitted desire to not finding out the gender until the baby was born.

Perhaps 'Philip,' possibly 'David,' as one of the names. But I doubt 'Frederick' because that's one of Harry's cousins' names: Lord Frederick Windsor. I think M&H will want a unique and special name for their son that doesn't repeat too closely other immediate family names, aside from Philip's since he is so old and a great-granddad.

Come to think of it, 'David' is unlikely as well, since that was the name the former Duke of Windsor was known by.
David is also the current Earl of Snowdon’s name
Old 05-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Here there are two spellings...one denotes male (Francis) and the other indicates female (Frances) ...of course there are variations too.

LaRae
In the Netherlands Frances is hardly used. Francis a bit more (but still not that often) and mostly for girls although it is used as a middle name a bit more often for boys too.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Aristocracy

I think it will be something along the lines of Arthur, Alexander, or James.

I would love something Scottish. Like Malcolm. That's ME, of course.

Like others have mentioned here...…..would be nice if they incorporated something that pays tribute to his African roots.

British royal fan on CNN was interviewed this morning and said that she was convinced it would not be a traditional name they chose but something "American" and "non-traditional," since they themselves were "non-traditional."

Her guesses were either Earl or Marvin.

The British interviewer quickly reminded her it could not be Earl since we cannot have an "Earl Earl."

OTOH-------Marvin ain't that bad. Not quite "formal" (i.e., Royal) enough for some folks' taste, perhaps, but still a "normal" name, and it IS mostly American. AND non-traditional. Just my two cents.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Courtier

Do you think Meghan will surprise us and put Thomas in there somewhere. Just wondering.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Do you think Meghan will surprise us and put Thomas in there somewhere. Just wondering.
No way.

LaRae
Old 05-06-2019, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pretty sure the royal hamster is Marvin.

Even if they don’t go royal I don’t see something like Dorian or Marvin too old fashioned. More likely something from the popular list if not a family name.

Please not Arthur. Louis already has one cousin his age named Arthur let’s not confuse the poor boy.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What are the bookies' favourite names and their odds for Baby Sussex?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...g-bookies.html

James 7/2

Alexander 7/2

Arthur 6/1

Edward 12/1

Oliver 12/1

Jacob 14/1

Phillip 14/1

Charles 14/1

Alvin 25/1

Francis 25/1

Henry 25/1

Albert 25/1

Spencer 33/1

Matthew 33/1

Jack 33/1

Alastair 33/1

Alfred 33/1
Old 05-06-2019, 06:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This name probably won't ever happen but if they really, really wanted to delve into British history and come up with a totally British name, they could name their son Winston after the great statesman and prime minister.

Winston Charles Henry, Earl of Dumbarton.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Beyond Arthur I also hope they veto James. I know the same name being used is common but not this close. Not only is viscount Severn a kid as well but he is in the main line of the royals. Not as obscure as sharing a name with a Kent or such. I don’t mind when a close relative has same first name but different generations. Like Philip and this baby

Sorry I have to laugh at the thought of Winston. IMO as unlikely as Marvin. Well only slightly less as not name of a hamster.

Closed Thread