The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!
Boy 55 29.10%
Girl 105 55.56%
Twins - Boy/Boy 3 1.59%
Twins - Boy/Girl 19 10.05%
Twins - Girl/Girl 7 3.70%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:00 PM
Majesty

Do you think Prince Harry might go against tradition and use the name John as a middle name for a son?

Old 04-17-2019, 09:10 PM
Majesty

As for the name John it came to me the following references:

Prince John Windsor - prematurely gone Prince, suffered from epilepsy (and probably also Asperger's syndrome) whose 100th death anniversary fell in January
John Spencer, 8th Earl of Spencer (baby's great-grandfather)
John Brown, the abolitionist, hanged for his ideas and commemorated in many poems, whose 160th death anniversary will fall on 2 December - Meghan's heritage as a maternal descendant of slaves.
John the Evangelist - according to the Gospel, the faithful Apostle of Jesus Christ, who stood at his cross - baby will be born around Easter.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
As for the name John it came to me the following references:

Prince John Windsor - prematurely gone Prince, suffered from epilepsy (and probably also Asperger's syndrome) whose 100th death anniversary fell in January
John Spencer, 8th Earl of Spencer (baby's great-grandfather)
John Brown, the abolitionist, hanged for his ideas and commemorated in many poems, whose 160th death anniversary will fall on 2 December - Meghan's heritage as a maternal descendant of slaves.
John the Evangelist - according to the Gospel, the faithful Apostle of Jesus Christ, who stood at his cross - baby will be born around Easter.
There is also Alexander John, the newborn son of Edward VII and Alexandra. It is the two Johns who both died tragically young, which led to the 'cursed name' thought. Also the whole King John history.

As for the Spencers, Diana's dad was Edward John Spencer. Diana's family also has a tragic history of the name. Her parent's first son was a boy John who died hours after birth.

Would be nice to see the name come out of superstitious hold though.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Would be nice to see the name come out of superstitious hold though.
I truly hope so. It was just bad luck. John is a beautiful name with lots of history (not only bad history though).
In Portugal, John is Joćo and it's actually my father's name and also my cousin's name. I really like the name.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 AM
Courtier

Joao is cute. How do you pronounce it, Kathia_Sophia?

I like John and also Johanna.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:55 AM
Majesty

If it's a girl qand they would like to use a female equivalent of the name John, it would be rather Jane (Harry's aunt, Queen Jane Seymour, Lady Jane Grey) than Johanna (also rather than Joan or Jean).
Old 04-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Courtier

I don't think they will go for anything like John, Jane or Mary, as those names are all a little too plain and dated, imo. They may choose a traditional name but I think it will be one that is more modern or timeless. Something like Oliver or Grace or Alexander/Alexandra.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Joao is cute. How do you pronounce it, Kathia_Sophia?

I like John and also Johanna.
Juaau (the A is the same as in Altitude and not Alien, and in Portugal Ć extends the sound).
We have Johanna here but it's written Joana (Juana when we pronounce and both A are the same as in Altitude)
Old 04-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Majesty

And Oliver is associated with Oliver Cromwell
Old 04-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Majesty

For a boy John could be used as a middle name. John does not have to be used as the first name.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I don't think they will go for anything like John, Jane or Mary, as those names are all a little too plain and dated, imo. They may choose a traditional name but I think it will be one that is more modern or timeless. Something like Oliver or Grace or Alexander/Alexandra.
Wouldn’t that be nice, to use Grace. If she became a Princess she would be the second American Princess Grace. Well, part American.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
For a boy John could be used as a middle name. John does not have to be used as the first name.
Why would it be used at all? Its generally thought to be "bad luck" by the RF.. and as has been pointed out it is also the name of Diana's liltte brother who died.. so its not at all likel to be used
Old 04-19-2019, 05:40 AM
Majesty

And do they live in XXI century or in Middle Ages?
Apart from that, according to the Bible in which they believe, believing in superstitions is a sin.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
And do they live in XXI century or in Middle Ages?
Apart from that, according to the Bible in which they believe, believing in superstitions is a sin.
not at all sure what you mean. If they don't want to use the name John or think it is unlucky, they have a perfect right to do so
Old 04-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Majesty

If they do not want to use John as John, use the Scottish equivalent of Ian.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I like that idea! Although I don't have the impression that they are overly Scotland-oriented (at least William and Catherine went to university there).
Old 04-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Majesty

I had a giggle at an article that likened Harry's situation as a second son to that of Andrew who, not being obliged to adhere to tradition, named his daughters the unoyal equivalence of Apple and some other fruit.

Beatrice and Eugenie were new and radical? 🤔
Old 04-19-2019, 05:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I had a giggle at an article that likened Harry's situation as a second son to that of Andrew who, not being obliged to adhere to tradition, named his daughters the unoyal equivalence of Apple and some other fruit.

Beatrice and Eugenie were new and radical? ��
Not really. Beatrice and Eugenie were the names of a daughter and a granddaughter of Queen Victoria.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Or the Gaelic/Irish equivalent of Sean. Or the Spanish Juan. Or the French Jean. Or the German Johann. The possibilities are endless.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Not really. Beatrice and Eugenie were the names of a daughter and a granddaughter of Queen Victoria.
I think that was the point. They are Royal names and Beatrice at least isn't that uncommon for regular people.

Closed Thread