Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Archie is not a political statement. He shouldn't be used as a 'see there is no truth to the rumors'.

And that is exactly what it would come off as. Especially considering Kate, who is 'so close to Harry' never asked him to be godparent to her kids.

Yes the royals sometimes use their siblings for godparents. The reason when George was born I thought Harry would be godfather. But by child three and he still wasn't used, there was clearly a reason neither William or Kate used any of their siblings.

I was made a godparent (surprised to find out twice over) for the first time 2 weeks ago. In the modern sense it has become like becoming a 'aunt or uncle' to the child. That you step into that role when you are a godparent. It is one reason in recent decades, some people opt not to use siblings. Siblings already are aunt/uncle.

Maybe that's how "it would come off as" to you. .... To me, it would come off as a lovely gesture to a sister-in-law they're fond of. And I'm sure that would be the motivation behind making Catherine his godmother. I'm also sure Harry and Meghan don't give a hoot about how things "come off" to strangers if they wanna make their sister-in-law their son's godmother. An added joy would then be to see the morons who dedicate hours of their day to pitting her and Meghan against each other squirm over it. I thought it was fairly easy to decipher from my previous post that aforementioned joy would be entirely on my part and that I definitely don't think they would "use" :)rolleyes:) Archie to make a statement. Maybe it wasn't.

You also don't need to explain the role of a godparent to me. I am a godmother multiple times over myself – also to a sibling's child (born in recent years) ;) My intention was not to assume how Harry and Meghan define the role of a godparent but to point out that it's not a given that they're among the people who don't go for close family because they'll be a part of the child's life regardless. As you say "some people opt not to use siblings". And to the best of my knowledge, we have no idea whether Harry and Meghan are amongst those people. That was my point. As for your comment about Harry not being made a godfather to any of the Cambridge children – hey, maybe William and Catherine are among your peeps? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Only if he is a close friend of Harry's or Meghan's.

They aren't going to chose a person just because they are a distant relative. The days of choosing relatives for their 'name' value but who isn't a close friend of the parents have gone.

The only criteria Harry and Meghan will use is friendship between them and the person chosen.

If Harry is close to him then he is a possibility but otherwise I doubt it.

Only if he is a close friend of Harry's or Meghan's.

They aren't going to chose a person just because they are a distant relative. The days of choosing relatives for their 'name' value but who isn't a close friend of the parents have gone.

The only criteria Harry and Meghan will use is friendship between them and the person chosen.

If Harry is close to him then he is a possibility but otherwise I doubt it.

I have to agree with this. I don't think I've ever heard it mention that either Harry or William associate on a personal level with Mr. Roche. The Fermoys were closer, I believe back in the time of the Queen Mother and it was Diana's mother that married into the Spencer family.

Harry and Meghan definitely will pick relatives and friends that they're close to as being a godparent is considered entrusting your child's spiritual life to the godparents should something happen to the parents.

Several posts have been deleted. If you wish to bicker amongst yourselves, please do so via PM. These threads have enough issues as it is.

Meghan will only pick the closest of friends, IMO. Markus and Genevieve are my top guesses. I would have said Jessica or Lindsay but seems they can’t.

I wouldn’t rule cousin Celia with Harry. I also think Eugenie is right at the top of the list.

Michelle Obama for godmother, because she wrote on twitter: "Barack and I are so thrilled for both of you and can't wait to meet him"

I think, the name Archie comes directly from Diana the goddess of hunting, who carries a bow. The french word for bow is arc - also arch in english (archery, archer).
While in the Netherlands Harry tried his hand at archery as he was parted from his baby son Archie.
Why Archie, not Archer? I think for the same reason it's Harry not Henry - Diana's choice.

Diana a goddess of the hunt
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Seignac,_Diane_chassant_(5613442047).jpg

Last edited:
Nicknames as full names like Archie are very common here in the UK and have been for some decades, so that could also be an explanation of why Archie is "just" that and not Archer or Archibald. Archie as a name itself was the 18th most popular in the British charts in 2017.

Archie is a common name in itself now, that's true, and a sweet name.
It is still quite a shock to see such a nick name derived name used for a royal baby.
That is the discussion driver.
Also the use of only two names; that is quite new.
The omission of any traditional name, that is also new.
Modern, newer names are more likely to be trendy, or not, and to prompt an opinion on the name.
We will all get used to Archie and his name.
Firstly, his parents will adore him and they look like they will be good parents.

Archie's godparents will be in for a fun time.
I guess William or Catherine will be included.

Michelle Obama for godmother, because she wrote on twitter: "Barack and I are so thrilled for both of you and can't wait to meet him"

I think, the name Archie comes directly from Diana the goddess of hunting, who carries a bow. The french word for bow is arc - also arch in english (archery, archer).
While in the Netherlands Harry tried his hand at archery as he was parted from his baby son Archie.
Why Archie, not Archer? I think for the same reason it's Harry not Henry - Diana's choice.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Seignac,_Diane_chassant_(5613442047).jpg

Harry is Henry. His legal name is Henry, they just call him Harry.

If they were going to simply use Archie as a nickname (ala Harry) it would more likely be Archibald not Archer.

Archie is a family name. The future Baron Fermoy is Archie. There are a number of Archibalds in the Spencer and Windsor trees.

I don't see Harry and Meghan honoring Diana through a Roman goddess.

Do you think that the christening will occur at St. Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham?

No. I would expect it would be at St George's at Windsor - same place as Harry's baptism and where they married. It may even be in the private chapel at Windsor - where the Wessex children were baptised.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no announcement beforehand that it has even happened - in a similar manner to the baptisms of the Philips and Tindall children. We only know about their baptisms because The Queen attended 3 of the 4 and William attended the fourth.

Wondering about St George's ...

LaRae

Harry wasn't just married at St George's he was also christened there. It would be extra special for Archie to be baptized there.

I don't see Archie's baptism being a secret. Not the public show perhaps of the Cambridge kids but still. He is the grandson of the future king. Peter and Zara are private citizens, so their kids' baptisms were private. Harry and Meghan are not private.

I would think it will be along the lines of Louise and James'.

I do think St George's is the likely venue - close to their home at Frogmore, easy for the Queen and Duke to attend, can be totally private as they can simply close the castle for the day or part thereof if they want to do so and also has meaning for both Harry and Meghan as it is where they married but also it is where Harry himself was baptised.

I do think St George's is the likely venue - close to their home at Frogmore, easy for the Queen and Duke to attend, can be totally private as they can simply close the castle for the day or part thereof if they want to do so and also has meaning for both Harry and Meghan as it is where they married but also it is where Harry himself was baptised.
St G is the obvious choice, but they could also use one of the other churches on the Windsor Estate that the Queen regularly worships at.

I have to ask - why is Charles not set to visit Archie until later this week? He’s been back from Germany for a couple of days - why wouldn’t he see his son and grandson as soon as possible - assuming Meghan was ok?

Har.

I don't see Harry and Meghan honoring Diana through a Roman goddess.
no of course not. If they had wanted to mention Diana they could have added her second name to Archie's names. I think that Archie was chosen just because they like it, and its popular.. and Harrison is "son of Harry"...Clearly they want to show by his names that they think of him as just an ordinary child, not a royal, at present.. (he may become a prince later) but for now he's just an ordinary boy..and they want to keep press coverage of him at a minimum.

St G is the obvious choice, but they could also use one of the other churches on the Windsor Estate that the Queen regularly worships at.
Now that would be a really 'ordinary thing to do. I like it. Perhaps it will be sooner rather than later, before Doria returns.

I have to ask - why is Charles not set to visit Archie until later this week? He’s been back from Germany for a couple of days - why wouldn’t he see his son and grandson as soon as possible - assuming Meghan was ok?
How do we know he hasn't?

Now that would be a really 'ordinary thing to do. I like it. Perhaps it will be sooner rather than later, before Doria returns.

How do we know he hasn't?

I was basing it on what I read in the media, but...........I should know better, lol

It sounds like Thursday (rumored day of the visit) is the best for all based on schedules. Charles has a engagement today, Harry had a couple yesterday and the visit from the Cambridges. But I don't think it matters too much, little Archie is probably going to sleep through it all any way.

It sounds like Thursday (rumored day of the visit) is the best for all based on schedules. Charles has a engagement today, Harry had a couple yesterday and the visit from the Cambridges. But I don't think it matters too much, little Archie is probably going to sleep through it all any way.

Oh, thanks! I hadn't even thought about engagements that Charles and Harry had, etc........Also true about Archie, lol

May I ask a question widely relates to this, thank you.
I am origin from german Suisse and now live in France with an british husband, just to explain why my English is far from perfect.
When I read the tweet of Duke of Sussex saying, HM and the Duke of E. were introduced to the newborn.... I asked myself if this is the correct expression.
In Suisse language we introduce the less important(or younger, stranger or male...) to the person of higher rank, so the sentence would say: the newborn was introduced to HM &Prince Philip.... because of course the baby is of less importance, younger, male ...than HM

It would be nice if somebody of mothertongue English can let me know. Of course I think I am wrong or maybe these rules of politenss are the other way round in English language.
Thank you all and please excuse me for asking this a little offtopic question. I cannot bother my husband as he is abroad at the moment.

Last edited:
Helen, welcome to The Royal Forums. In English we make no distinction- either one can be introduced to the other!

Helen, I agree with you. And welcome to the forums.

We spend our summers and early falls in the Bernese Oberland, and we love it.

Another different twist regarding the 'Archie' name selection. For me, it seems too much of a coincidence that Meghan supposedly once had a cat named Archie, and she reportedly likes the Archie comics. Harry also told a New Zealand boy named Archie, that he likes that name. Plus, could George have overheard his aunt and uncle discussing names for their newborn? :lol:

In addition, there might be some credence to the anagram theory, despite the minor difference with the 'i' and 'l' in Rachel and Archie. :D Now adding to that this Diana as Archer theory. I know the meaning of Diana is 'Goddess of the Hunt,' but bringing in the archery connection is eye-opening. I'm just not certain that the Sussexes were thinking of every bit of this. In retrospect though, there appear to be a number of coincidences.

Last edited:
I think we can forget about Adam Bidwell being a godfather. This is incredibly disappointing!

Who is Adam Bidwell?

An old friend of Harry's. He was on the infamous Vegas trip back in the day. He was an usher with Harry at Skippy's wedding. He is an ambassador for Sentebale, he was on a trip with Harry to Africa last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom