The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!
Boy 55 29.10%
Girl 105 55.56%
Twins - Boy/Boy 3 1.59%
Twins - Boy/Girl 19 10.05%
Twins - Girl/Girl 7 3.70%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
why? There are lots of people that harry has met in his work.. why single one person out?

I didnít mean to single anyone out or favour someone over another, it was simply because she had been mentioned here and I was continuing with the discussion that I found interesting. But clearly my post has been misread by a couple of people here and I have caused offence which I didnít mean to, so I will delete it to avoid further upset...
Iím sure there are many people who the Sussexes have met and who have touched them though as I said, it was purely because she was a recent news topic that I mentioned Mrs. Dunne. Someone couldíve mentioned another person whom the Sussexes equally corresponded with and it would have had the same effect because itís an interesting idea. I didnít say they had to, I merely said it would be a nice thought but unlikely. I didnít think people would read more into it but I apologise if I caused any upset

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I hope it is a girl and I would love it were she named Princess Alice, the last Princess Alice being Prince Philip's mother.

She ticks all the boxes. She was a woman ahead of her time, treated shabbily by her philandering husband and conveniently shipped off to a Swiss Sanitorium so they could 'cure' her schizophrenia! Come the war she ran toward the danger rather than from and set up home in Athens, Greece.

When the island was occupied they obviously knew exactly who she was . . . Princess Andrew of Greece and a close relative of the BRF. Nevertheless she was both a devout Christian and a patriot to her bones and gave no quarter. While living close to yhe Germans she helped the jews and hid a Jewish family and was posthumously recognised as "Reightous Among the Nation's"

Oh, did I forget that she was born profoundly deaf. There are books written that will tell you the true misfortunes of her life but it didn't break her. Mistreated, wrong headed, passionare, pig-headed, she was in no way perfect but she was never raised to live the life she did and she made the most of the hand she was dealt.
Prince Philip is definitely his mother's son.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Margaret wasn't officially a double first name, it was just how she was called.
I don't quite understand what you mean, as she was officially called HRH The Princess Margaret Rose until the 1940s.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

At this point, I just wish that baby would get here already so weíd know.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I hope it is a girl and I would love it were she named Princess Alice, the last Princess Alice being Prince Philip's mother.

She ticks all the boxes. She was a woman ahead of her time, treated shabbily by her philandering husband and conveniently shipped off to a Swiss Sanitorium so they could 'cure' her schizophrenia! Come the war she ran toward the danger rather than from and set up home in Athens, Greece.

When the island was occupied they obviously knew exactly who she was . . . Princess Andrew of Greece and a close relative of the BRF. Nevertheless she was both a devout Christian and a patriot to her bones and gave no quarter. While living close to yhe Germans she helped the jews and hid a Jewish family and was posthumously recognised as "Reightous Among the Nation's"

Oh, did I forget that she was born profoundly deaf. There are books written that will tell you the true misfortunes of her life but it didn't break her. Mistreated, wrong headed, passionare, pig-headed, she was in no way perfect but she was never raised to live the life she did and she made the most of the hand she was dealt.
Prince Philip's mother was the great granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

It has taken me this long to guess a name for baby Sussex. If the baby is a boy, my best guess for a name would be Nelson after Nelson Mandela. Or Nelson to be in amongst the middle names.
I have no idea what names they would chose for a girl. Best guess Victoria.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Yes Princess Alice was a remarkable woman. She was honored as a Righteous Among Nations, an honor given by the state of Israel to people who saved Jews during WWII.

When Philip and his sister Sophie went to Israel when their mother was honored he said of her

Quote:
I suspect that it never occurred to her that her action was in any way special. She was a person with a deep religious faith, and she would have considered it to be a perfectly natural human reaction to fellow beings in distress
She was also rewarded the 'Hero of the Holocaust' title, one rewarded to British citizens who assisted in rescuing victims of the Holocaust. The title has only been bestowed on 27 people.

She wasn't the last Princess Alice in the family though. The Queen's Aunt, Princess Alice of Gloucester who died in 2004 would be. The Duchess was involved with the red cross during WWII and the Womens auxiliary of the air force. She was the first and only woman ever appointed Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Bath.

Princess Alice, Countess of Althone was a daughter of Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany. During WWII she served as president of the Women's auxiliary naval in Canada. Her and husband were active in the war movement in Canada. Their grandchildren lived with them in Canada during the war.

Victoria's daughter Alice was a huge supporter of social justice and the care of her people. A friend of Florence Nightengale, she learned a great deal about nursing and worked to improve hospitals with things like ventilation. She even established a hospital to help the poor and sick. She also created groups to promote education of women, and to train nurses.

Certainly the name Alice has been held by a number of strong intelligent women in the family

For a self-proclaimed feminist like Meghan, certainly Alice has a legacy of very strong women.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes Princess Alice was a remarkable woman. She was honored as a Righteous Among Nations, an honor given by the state of Israel to people who saved Jews during WWII.

When Philip and his sister Sophie went to Israel when their mother was honored he said of her

She was also rewarded the 'Hero of the Holocaust' title, one rewarded to British citizens who assisted in rescuing victims of the Holocaust. The title has only been bestowed on 27 people.

She wasn't the last Princess Alice in the family though. The Queen's Aunt, Princess Alice of Gloucester who died in 2004 would be. The Duchess was involved with the red cross during WWII and the Womens auxiliary of the air force. She was the first and only woman ever appointed Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Bath.

Princess Alice, Countess of Althone was a daughter of Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany. During WWII she served as president of the Women's auxiliary naval in Canada. Her and husband were active in the war movement in Canada. Their grandchildren lived with them in Canada during the war.

Victoria's daughter Alice was a huge supporter of social justice and the care of her people. A friend of Florence Nightengale, she learned a great deal about nursing and worked to improve hospitals with things like ventilation. She even established a hospital to help the poor and sick. She also created groups to promote education of women, and to train nurses.

Certainly the name Alice has been held by a number of strong intelligent women in the family

For a self-proclaimed feminist like Meghan, certainly Alice has a legacy of very strong women.
Wow. I really now hope that if they have a daughter, her name will be Alice. What an legacy!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Marianne is more associated with France than with the UK.
Mary and Anne are honoring different ladies.
Mary is after Prince Harry's great-great-grandmother Queen Mary.
Anne is after Princess Anne, The Princess Royal.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:13 PM
Commoner

I think they will look to Meghans' side for names as well. I don't know if Doria has middle names, or maybe her mothers' names. I think Meghan mentioned her maternal Grandmother on the Tig, talking about growing up and childhood memories of eating a favourite food, but I can't remember exactly what she said now. Much as I like the idea of honoring family names though I think it can get a bit much, for the child as well as the family. My own family has three males with same name so we've end up with the last one just getting 'Junior' and 'Little X' which kind of negates the whole thing really.

Both Meghan and Harry seem like they respect tradition but also know their own minds. I hope they come up with a 'new' royal name like Anne did with Zara and Zara in turn has done with Mia. Afterall, if a royal names their child X, then that becomes a royal name, wheather it's a traditional one or not.

I'm hoping for something new with a middle name from Meghans maternal side.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorgQueen View Post
I think they will look to Meghans' side for names as well. I don't know if Doria has middle names, or maybe her mothers' names. I think Meghan mentioned her maternal Grandmother on the Tig, talking about growing up and childhood memories of eating a favourite food, but I can't remember exactly what she said now. Much as I like the idea of honoring family names though I think it can get a bit much, for the child as well as the family. My own family has three males with same name so we've end up with the last one just getting 'Junior' and 'Little X' which kind of negates the whole thing really.

Both Meghan and Harry seem like they respect tradition but also know their own minds. I hope they come up with a 'new' royal name like Anne did with Zara and Zara in turn has done with Mia. Afterall, if a royal names their child X, then that becomes a royal name, wheather it's a traditional one or not.

I'm hoping for something new with a middle name from Meghans maternal side.
Meg's mom's middle name is 'Loyce'. Her grandmother's name is Jeanette (sp).
Old 04-07-2019, 11:09 PM
Heir Apparent

What about Cecile (or Cecilia) as a first name? It would honour prince Philip's sister who died in the plane crash; and would be uncommon but still a family name that is not completely unusual in royal circles. Or would her Nazi-ties prevent any recognition?
Old 04-08-2019, 12:16 AM
Royal Highness

Why would they want to remember a great Aunt who died almost 90 years ago and yeah, she was a Nazi? Not going to happen ever. I do think it’s odd that between his daughter, his granddaughters and great grand daughters they never chose Alice as a first name. If Phillips philandering daddy got a namesake you would think his extraordinary mother would!

I predict a classic name or that’s popular with the British upper crust now but not a usual royal name...

Emily Diana
Violet Grace
Daphne Jane

Oliver Henry
Christopher Charles
Leo William
Old 04-08-2019, 12:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
What about Cecile (or Cecilia) as a first name? It would honour prince Philip's sister who died in the plane crash; and would be uncommon but still a family name that is not completely unusual in royal circles. Or would her Nazi-ties prevent any recognition?
This is your answer.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Cecile, and her Nazi ties, I would say would be out. Not that I would think they would actively honor one of Philip's sisters.

But the variation Cecilia is another matter. Like Sophie (Philip's sister Sophie was also married to a Nazi) there are other family connections for the name.

Cecilia Cavendish-Bentnick was the queen's maternal grandmother.

William the conqueror and Edward IV both had daughters named Cecilia.

Its hard to find many names in the royal tree without some questionable history. Richard, John, Edward/David and so on. But choosing such a name would be despite the history of the name. Not honoring the questionable person. Not sure anyone in the royal family will ever say 'I am going to name my child John to honor the king who led to the Magna carta'.

I don't think we will see anything with no royal ties. Unlike Anne, Harry's kids are not private citizens. They will have titles and a public life.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Anne is after Princess Anne, The Princess Royal.
Seeing that Anne said something like "has nothing to do with me" when one of P.William's children was born (or something to that effect..) i think she would be the first to discourage H&M naming a child after her.
I can just see her saying "oh don't be ridiculous"

Fortunately the baby will be here soon and we can stop the name guessing
Old 04-08-2019, 02:19 AM
Courtier

Nelson could be cool, I agree.
Nelson Charles David Gerald

I also notice Jane as a suggestion.
Jane is smart, sweet and very under used today.
Jane Doria Sarah Elizabeth

Anne (Anna or Annaleez!) is also sweet, Lee-z.

What about Carla? It's a cute, strong 1970s name.
Do you think they'd use a 1960s name like Deborah?
Old 04-08-2019, 02:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Nelson could be cool, I agree.
Nelson Charles David Gerald

I also notice Jane as a suggestion.
Jane is smart, sweet and very under used today.
Jane Doria Sarah Elizabeth

Anne (Anna or Annaleez!) is also sweet, Lee-z.

What about Carla? It's a cute, strong 1970s name.
Do you think they'd use a 1960s name like Deborah?
Deborah is too old fashioned, so is Carla really.

If they go with a non-royal name (with no family connection) I would expect something found in the most popular name lists. Names found among the upper crust now. But even then, I am still expecting royal/family.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:42 AM
Courtier

I've just sourced the top 100 Poshest names in Britain via a website, Nameberry.

An example - Henrietta, Lettice, Jamima, Romilly, Loveday, Faerie, Araminta, Cecily, Lucinda, Kitty, Arabella, Miranda ...
Rupert, Willoughby, Hector, Archibald, Bertram, Humphrey, Inigo, Fergus, Ralph, Mungo, Falcon ...

Perhaps Falcon for Robert Falcon Scott's exhibitions to the South Pole.
Perhaps Miranda for the mysterious girl in Picnic at Hanging Rock, Australia.

Falcon Charles Henry David
Mungo Philip Falcon George
Ralph Humphrey Rupert Archibald
Miranda Faerie Henrietta Frances
Arabella Kitty Louise Diana
Rose Loveday Cecily Doria

The child is possibly born and already named.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
Meg's mom's middle name is 'Loyce'. Her grandmother's name is Jeanette (sp).
Thank you JuliannaVictoria. I do really like Loyce, either first or middle name. I like unusual names and I've not heard that one before.

I hope they either go all original i.e. not named after anyone OR use something from Megans side because it's not all about Harry and the royal side. There's two sets of dna involved! Plus, I haven't seen anything anywhere that confirms their child will be titled. (I believe it will be) There's been no confirmation or even talk of that from official sources that I've seen. From what I understand that's up to the parents to decide. Anne declined for her children. A smart move on her part too I think. Her children have the wealth and privilige but more freedom and less 'fish bowl' than titled royals.

Closed Thread