Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes of course...forgot about that...and Earl Spencer's Charlotte is Charlotte Diana! There's a lack of originality there. I think Harry and Meghan will likely be less traditional with their choice...if not Charles then maybe something not used by the Royals such as Benjamin or Matthew.
Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer carries the names of many of her Spencer forbears. Those names have been common in the family for centuries.

In theory I like the idea of Thomas being included as an olive branch/nod to the good times, but in reality I think it would be a PR disaster to name the baby for a father she’s not speaking to.

Markle Snr has 5 other grandchildren. We know that he has not met the older two and barely speaks to the other three. Meghan should not include her father's name. He has proven to be a liability plus her deadbeat half brother has that name too. No Thomas should not be included.

I like Alex or Alexander. Other than that, I like John. Let’s see if I’m right in a few hours! :lol:

Alexander was my Scottish Grandfather's name & I carried that into my own children so I'd love them to include it.

On my English side I love my ancestors' names of Gideon & Tristram but they're about 1000/1 for this baby!

Thomas" will definitely be included in the mix. That way it paints Meghan in a favourable, forgiving and faultless light.

A serious case of 'virtue signaling'? How contemptible to name a child on the basis that it makes 'me look good' ?
I hope the Duchess won't stoop that low.

I hope the name is something old but not as common and could potentially be trendy again like Archibald. Perhaps name him after a male abolitionist feminist also like Frederick Douglass or Parker Pillsbury. Frederick, in particular, would pay tribute to both the royal and American sides of him. It would be absolutely cool to have a great grandson of the Queen named after an escaped slave turned abolitionist and activist.

Charles Frederick Parker aka Frederick would be great.

Last edited:
OK this is a serious suggestion. Along the lines of the Danish royal family where those further down the line of succession have somewhat more normal names, like Nikolai, Felix and Vincent in particular. They may not double up on any names in the extended family and friends (so excludes David, James, Arthur, John, Benjamin, Peter, etc). So not many names left ��

So I like Alexander, Marcus (nod to Markle), Frederick, Hugo, Oliver ...so difficult! Hope they make the correct choice for them and us ��

How about "Theodore"? Nods to Doria and has some cool nicknames, Theo or Teddy

Theodore Marcus Arthur Charles
Teddy Sussex or Theo Sussex

I think this is the ONE ��

As I recall Meghan's mother's family were from Malta...

I remember reading in Morton's biography that the Malta connection was from her FATHER'S side of her family. I think the ancestor was a maid at Victoria's court for some time. That is, at least, what I remember.

The Malta connection is on Meghan's father's side, via his mother. Here once again is the Meghan/Harry shared ancestral chart for reference:
https://www.americanancestors.org/uploadedfiles/content/features/meghan-markle-chart.pdf

So yes, it is Mary Bird (Thomas Markle Sr's great-grandmother). Mary Bird once worked as a maid in one of the royal palaces. She was Irish, and she married Englishman, George David Merrill (whose ancestry can be traced directly back to King Edward III, as we see on the genealogical chart). Bird and Merrill moved to Malta, and subsequently emigrated to America.

My guess: Charles Philip David John. Maybe throw a 'Thomas' in there, if Meghan is feeling especially sentimental.

I doubt they will use Thomas as a name. I would bet on that.

Yes, and her father's name was Edward not John. That doesn't mean they couldn't use Maurice's proper first name to honor him. Edmund is far more likely IMO then Maurice.

Diana's grandfather's name is Albert Edward John Spencer. Her father's name is Edward John Spencer, and he used his middle name.

Old fashion names are certainly in the eye of the beholder. :ermm:

Laugh that you think Claude or Alvin are not old fashioned:ohmy::lol:

Xan is already a nickname in the family, Xan Windsor.

Yes indeed, in the eye of the beholder. Sure Claude and Alvin are rather old-fashioned too. I just happen to prefer the sound of those names over Edmund. And I really like Caleb and Connor too, which goes nicely with the Earl of Dumbarton.

I don't know if anyone posted this fascinating article yet:
The Sunrise Sussex: names for a royal baby born with the dawn chorus – Royal Central

I didn't realize that Charles suggested Zara's name, because she is also a sunrise baby! This article provides a lot of interesting possibilities. I really like Sol (because they chose a passage from Song of Solomon for their wedding). I also really like Lucien (light), and Zain, which means Godly Light (Zane was Meghan's character's last name on Suits)

Why would James Middleton be taken into account :ermm: He is not a family connection of any kind to Harry and Meghan.

I didn't say that James Middleton would be taken into consideration. I only said that he's someone associated with the royals who also has the name, James. I just doubt the Sussexes will use James, chiefly because Harry already has a cousin named James. It could be one of the names, but I doubt the given name. Anything is possible.

'Harold' or 'Ælle' - first king of the south Saxons [from whence comes the name Sussex]?

I hope the name is something old but not as common and could potentially be trendy again like Archibald. Perhaps name him after a male abolitionist feminist also like Frederick Douglass or Parker Pillsbury. Frederick, in particular, would pay tribute to both the royal and American sides of him. It would be absolutely cool to have a great grandson of the Queen named after an escaped slave turned abolitionist and activist.

Charles Frederick Parker aka Frederick would be great.

We have a winner!! Moby suggested Archibald (Archie)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Posts discussing Baby Archie’s name have been moved here.

What was Dorias father called?

Alvin Joffrey Ragland.

So at least little baby Sussex's name begins with an 'A.' But that's it. Meghan and Harry are always surprising us. The name 'Archie' is unexpected. I do think that someone mentioned 'Archibald' in this thread, but it was never commonly mentioned. And it looks like 'Archie' is the given name, similar to Diana immediately letting everyone know that little Henry would always be called 'Harry.'

In addition, I remember that someone here mentioned the name, 'Harrison.' So that was a good call! :flowers:

OK I love the name, Archie that they chose. But now I can't help but wonder how informal they would have been with their girl name and will they continue the casual vibe....?

I would like to think names like Lucy or Rosie or Hannah could have been/still are on their list.

OK I love the name, Archie that they chose. But now I can't help but wonder how informal they would have been with their girl name and will they continue the casual vibe....?

I would like to think names like Lucy or Rosie or Hannah could have been/still are on their list.

Veronica? Ronnie for short? :D

If they are going get second child name guessing will be very difficult. How many even guessed Archie there?

If they are going get second child name guessing will be very difficult. How many even guessed Archie there?

I saw an article on the betting. The odds of Archie was so small that the company set it at 100/1. A woman bet a few hundred pounds and ended up with about 32k.

Actually, our own moby suggested Archibald which is close to Archie. Someone else suggested Harrison. Cyril suggested only two names. All of those are kind of right on the mark.

We all thought that the baby would be named after someone. We were wrong.

Ok so we got the name out of the way. Let us talk godparents.

Unexpected Godparents perhaps.
Samantha Markle, Teresa May, Princess Michael of Kent and the groom of Prince Philip's carriage horse.

Ok so we got the name out of the way. Let us talk godparents.

I find it difficult to predict. Some have suggested/guessed they will choose some of Meghan's famous friends. Like Serena Williams and The Clooneys (even if George denied it and said he doesn't want to be a godparent). I wouldn't rule them out anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if they picked someone else. Does Meghan have any friends who are not famous/celebrities? Maybe one of them will be picked? Just to surprise us.

When it comes to Harry, it doesn't get easier. According to rumours, there seem to be some problems between Harry's friends and Meghan. Some of his friends were apparently not invited to the wedding. Which makes me guess that some of his friends won't be considered being a godparent either. Tom Inskip is one of these friends, even if I have seen that some people think Tom may become a godparent after all.

Now Harry's former nanny, Tiggy, is suggested as an option. No idea what kind of relationship Harry and Tiggy has nowadays. Are they good friends?

Unexpected Godparents perhaps.
Samantha Markle, Teresa May, Princess Michael of Kent and the groom of Prince Philip's carriage horse.

I do believe they will choose unexpected godparents. At least it wouldn't surprise me. But I doubt they will pick any Markle. Especially since Meghan has some trouble with her father and siblings (or half siblings). Samantha would probably be the last person on earth that they would consider being a godparent to Archie. I kinda find the others unlikely too.

I find it difficult to predict. Some have suggested/guessed they will choose some of Meghan's famous friends. Like Serena Williams and The Clooneys (even if George denied it and said he doesn't want to be a godparent). I wouldn't rule them out anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if they picked someone else. Does Meghan have any friends who are not famous/celebrities? Maybe one of them will be picked? Just to surprise us.

When it comes to Harry, it doesn't get easier. According to rumours, there seem to be some problems between Harry's friends and Meghan. Some of his friends were apparently not invited to the wedding. Which makes me guess that some of his friends won't be considered being a godparent either. Tom Inskip is one of these friends, even if I have seen that some people think Tom may become a godparent after all.

Now Harry's former nanny, Tiggy, is suggested as an option. No idea what kind of relationship Harry and Tiggy has nowadays. Are they good friends?

I do believe they will choose unexpected godparents. At least it wouldn't surprise me. But I doubt they will pick any Markle. Especially since Meghan has some trouble with her father and siblings (or half siblings). Samantha would probably be the last person on earth that they would consider being a godparent to Archie. I kinda find the others unlikely too.

Most of Meghan's close friends are not celebrities actually.

I think Serena is out. She is a Jehovah's Witness and they do not do not believe in being godparents to children.

In terms of Harry and his friends, IDK if I believe reports of some grand rift myself. But he is extremely close to Tiggy and is actually the godfather to one of her sons.

My guesses:

Meghan's Side:
Lindsay Jill Roth (I am almost positive about this)
One of Either Benita Litt, Abigail Spencer or Genevieve Hillis

Other possibilities: Marcus Anderson, Heather Dorak

Harry's Side:
Tiggy or Mark Dyer
Jake Warren or Charlie van Straubenzee or Princess Eugenie

Other possibilities for Harry: Zara or Peter Philips or Celia Mccorquodale

My guesses:

Meghan's Side:
Lindsay Jill Roth (I am almost positive about this)
One of Either Benita Litt, Abigail Spencer or Genevieve Hillis

Other possibilities: Marcus Anderson, Heather Dorak

Harry's Side:
Tiggy or Mark Dyer
Jake Warren or Charlie van Straubenzee or Princess Eugenie

Other possibilities for Harry: Zara or Peter Philips or Celia Mccorquodale

I agree with your guesses, but I feel like Genevieve is more of a "shoe in" than Lindsay, but if I were to harbour a guess on Meghan's side, it would be one of these three women.

Lindsay is Jewish; would the CofE allow a non-Christian godmother? Her husband is CofE, but there is no indication she converted; their wedding announcement said their service was a mix of Jewish and CofE elements.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/fashion/weddings/lindsay-roth-gavin-jordan.html

This is why I said Genevieve (whom I believe is Christian) rather than Lindsay. However, we don't know because Meghan's long-time friends are not celebrities an are private individuals.

Several of Meghan's friends from college are not particularly famous.

Harry is godfather to Tiggy Legge-Burke Pettifer's son Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom