The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!
Boy 55 29.10%
Girl 105 55.56%
Twins - Boy/Boy 3 1.59%
Twins - Boy/Girl 19 10.05%
Twins - Girl/Girl 7 3.70%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I'd love to see an old name like Portia used!

LaRae
Has Portia ever been used outside literature?

Old 02-20-2019, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes I've seen it used in England and the U.S.

LaRae

Old 02-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

If Harry and Meghan decide to go for a more adventurous name, I think it'll be a name that won't be adventurous for us but will be for the BRF; along the lines of Princess Anne's grandchildren (Savannah, Isla, Mia, Lena). I'd quite like them to revive a lesser used royal name though, such as Adelaide for girls or Francis for boys.
I'm still betting on a Lady Mary but do really like the idea of a Lord Edmund now.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-20-2019, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
If Harry and Meghan decide to go for a more adventurous name, I think it'll be a name that won't be adventurous for us but will be for the BRF; along the lines of Princess Anne's grandchildren (Savannah, Isla, Mia, Lena). I'd quite like them to revive a lesser used royal name though, such as Adelaide for girls or Francis for boys.
I'm still betting on a Lady Mary but do really like the idea of a Lord Edmund now.
NO Adelaide...that's for my little girl. OK...I'm being a little selfish, but I absolutely love this name for a girl. Adelaide and Charlotte were 2 choices if I ever had a girl.

Also, love Francis for a boy, honours Diana.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
NO Adelaide...that's for my little girl. OK...I'm being a little selfish, but I absolutely love this name for a girl. Adelaide and Charlotte were 2 choices if I ever had a girl.

Also, love Francis for a boy, honours Diana.
The way I see it is that the more people who use my favourite names (my personal style is very European, with a lot of unusual choices) the better as I can hear them more often! My favourite girl's choice is Adelina, with Leo being my favourite boy's choice, and if a royal used either I'd be very happy!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-20-2019, 06:12 PM
Majesty

Lord Edmund would be distinguished. Prince George, Duke of Kent was George Edward Alexander Edmund.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Courtier

We'd never hear the end of it if the baby was named Lady (or Princess) Madison. I like Frances/Francis personally.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Yes, Ellen Degeneres' wife is Portia de Rossi
Old 02-20-2019, 09:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

I like Frances/Francis ..I really want that to be somewhere in the baby's name. I also like Ellen, Sofia, Emily, Alice, Mary ...Phillip, Alexander, James etc

LaRae
Old 02-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Yes, Ellen Degeneres' wife is Portia de Rossi
But that is just her stage name.
Her real name is Amanda Rogers.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Lord Edmund would be distinguished. Prince George, Duke of Kent was George Edward Alexander Edmund.
If Edmund was used, doubt the duke of Kent would be considered. Edmund has a very deep royal pedigree. I would love to see it used again, as an alternative to the commonly used Edward.

-Edmund I of England was a son of Alfred the great
-Edmund II was son of Ethelred
-Edmund the martyr was a king of East Anglia
- Edmund of Scotland was a short reigned king, son of Malcolm III
-Edmund Tudor was the father of Henry VII
-Edmund, Duke of York was the son of Edward III and ancestor to Edward IV/Richard III
-Edmund crouchback was a son of Henry III

Quote:
I like Frances/Francis ..I really want that to be somewhere in the baby's name. I also like Ellen, Sofia, Emily, Alice, Mary ...Phillip, Alexander, James etc
I don't see Meghan and Harry going old fashion like Francis or Ellen. Some old names have become trendy but neither of those. Perhaps Francis as a middle name as honor to Diana but not likely as a first.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know, Edmund still reminds me of the Blackadder comedy series

If they go for "oldfashioned" imo Arthur or Alfred are more likely
Old 02-21-2019, 02:34 AM
Majesty

I don't mind David, Alexander or Leo. I just can't see them going out of left field on boys names, which have always been more traditional in the BRF. There's a wider choice with girls but they can't stick out like sore thumbs either. I really like Victoria and Alice, but don't think Harry and Meghan would pick those. However, I can see Elizabeth, Diana and/or Frances as middle names.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think its actually possible that Harry and Meghan may name their daughter Rachel. It wouldn't be the first time a mother gave her daughter one of her own names. The Queen Mum comes to mind.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post

Allegedly it is the female form of a Roman patrician family named Porcius - but as the name probably comes from the word for pigs, which was allegedly what made the family rich, I really doubt they would use it.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Allegedly it is the female form of a Roman patrician family named Porcius - but as the name probably comes from the word for pigs, which was allegedly what made the family rich, I really doubt they would use it.
Yes I know. I also doubt they'd use it.. I don't know of anyone who used it outside of fiction... since Roman days.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness

Adelaide and Francis are nice perhaps for middle names. Somehow, I doubt Adelaide though would even be under consideration. I don't like the sound of 'Lady Adelaide.' It's a mouthful, and so spinstery old-fashioned. Addie for short, eh. Francis or Frances might be considered because of the connection to Diana Frances Spencer.

Oh, I just had a thought that Spencer could be one of a boy's middle names, i.e.,
Philip Spencer Charles or David Spencer Edward or Jonathan Adam Spencer, or John Charles Spencer (in honor of Diana's father and Harry's father). Perhaps Hugh is another possibility, or Philip Mark Spencer.

I personally don't like the name Edmund, but I like the shortened Eddie. As far as girl's names beginning with an 'A,' Abigail seems a possibility in honor of Meghan's friend, with Abby or Gail as a nickname. Maybe Abigail Jeanette Diana (with the middle names honoring Meghan's maternal grandmother and Harry's mother). Doris is also a possibilty as that was Meghan's paternal grandmother's name.

May or Mary are possibilities, as those are names on Meghan's paternal side, and also Mary is a British royal family name. Of course, I doubt very much that 'Thomas' would be considered.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Majesty

I don't think that royal children are ever given surnames as names.... and as someone's said Edmund tends to remind English people of Blackadder...But who knows.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Royal Highness

Ah, that's interesting. But I guess there's always a first time.

Once the baby is born, and the names announced, it'll be fun to go back and see who got it right or the closest.

I still think maybe there's a possibiity they might choose a Botswanian name as one of the child's middle names.

This article features name prediction odds:
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/enterta...e-predictions/
Old 02-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
in the biblical theme: although i'm notoriously bad at guessing babynames i would bet money on them not using "Judas"

i'd also sooner expect a name with royal history than biblical history
Esther is a name mentioned in the Bible.

Closed Thread