The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!
Boy 55 29.10%
Girl 105 55.56%
Twins - Boy/Boy 3 1.59%
Twins - Boy/Girl 19 10.05%
Twins - Girl/Girl 7 3.70%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 06:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think they should be able to reach some kind of compromise.. a Bible name..would be acceptable even if a bit unusual...
There are several male names in the Bible that could be used for a Prince: Jacob, Joseph, Paul, Mark, Timothy.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:18 AM
Heir Apparent

in the biblical theme: although i'm notoriously bad at guessing babynames i would bet money on them not using "Judas"

i'd also sooner expect a name with royal history than biblical history

Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I would imagine that both Harry and Meghan would agree on the first name of their child whatever it will be. As this child will slip further down the line of succession, their parents have leeway to name their child what they want... including honoring the heritage of the child's mother.
That is correct. Baby Sussex is a long way down the line of succession, is unlikely to be an HRH at birth, and will probably have a career independent of the BRF. In these circumstances, if the parents so choose, they could well have American names honouring the mother's heritage. It was in this context, I have suggested Prentice or Madison as potential names.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
There are several male names in the Bible that could be used for a Prince: Jacob, Joseph, Paul, Mark, Timothy.
Or Abraham, after Biblical Patriarch and Abraham Lincoln, U.S. President "The Great Emancipator"
Old 02-20-2019, 07:37 AM
Royal Highness

I think Abraham is too old-fashioned and too much of a mouthful. You might as well say Ezekiel or Absalom, which also are old-fashioned. However, Meghan's first name is biblical: Rachel. So they could choose one of the names as Biblical but call the child by a nickname, such as Zeke, etc.

I'm still thinking the baby will be a girl, so I haven't thought much about boys names. As mentioned already, Timothy, Mark, Paul, Joseph, or perhaps Solomon (as in Song of, which verses they liked and used at their wedding) are all biblical possibilities.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Gentry

I do think that the baby will be a girl but for the sake of discussion, all the male members of the royal family are named after family members/previous
Charles, William, Harry/Henry. Edward, James and George are named of former British kings.
Peter Philips, Prince Andrew and baby Louis are only male members who arent named after a king.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenEmpath View Post
I do think that the baby will be a girl but for the sake of discussion, all the male members of the royal family are named after family members/previous
Charles, William, Harry/Henry. Edward, James and George are named of former British kings.
Peter Philips, Prince Andrew and baby Louis are only male members who arent named after a king.

Boith Prince Andrew and Prince Louis bear the names of former kings:

Andrew Albert Christian Edward

Louis Arthur Charles
Old 02-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
That is correct. Baby Sussex is a long way down the line of succession, is unlikely to be an HRH at birth, and will probably have a career independent of the BRF. In these circumstances, if the parents so choose, they could well have American names honouring the mother's heritage. It was in this context, I have suggested Prentice or Madison as potential names.
How many Americans do you know have the name Prentice? Because this American doesn't and it's an odd and rare name for an American.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Prince Edward's daughter Louise was 8th in line at the time of her birth and she has very regal names (Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary Mountbatten-Windsor).

Prentice - really?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Its possible, he might since they do use a lot of similar middle names, because part of royal naming is to honour other members of the family. Most of the queen's great granddaughters have Elizabeth.. There's Lena Eliz TIndal, Isla Elizabeth Phillips, Charlotte Eliz of Cambridge.. and W and Kate have given the name Louis to the new son, though its one of George's names.
However while they mgith put in an American sounding name as a second or third, I can't see them giving one as a first name..
If we were talking names like Philip and Charles I would agree. Close family members that it wouldn't be uncommon if they wanted to honor. But Alexander is a vague reference to Queen Victoria. And if they wanted to honor the queen's father, they could easily use Albert instead, his actual name. There are dozens of royal names to choose from without reusing two of George's three names. I also don't see them not honoring Meghan's family at all.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
How many Americans do you know have the name Prentice? Because this American doesn't and it's an odd and rare name for an American.
Funnily, I do know an American named Prentice, and he is from Houston, Texas.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Prince Edward's daughter Louise was 8th in line at the time of her birth and she has very regal names (Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary Mountbatten-Windsor).

Prentice - really?
It's entirely the choice of the parents. This thread is really about suggestions, so you no need to roll over
Old 02-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Funnily, I do know an American named Prentice, and he is from Houston, Texas.
It's definitely a very Texas sounding name. But regardless, quite uncommon in US. Yea, don't see that for Meghan and Harry.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Majesty

Lets hope not...…
Old 02-20-2019, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It's definitely a very Texas sounding name. But regardless, quite uncommon in US. Yea, don't see that for Meghan and Harry.
I thought Prentice sounded more Ivy League prep school than Texas.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I thought Prentice sounded more Ivy League prep school than Texas.
More oil tycoon than Upper East Side.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
More like Connecticut snob. I'm sorry, but I LOLd at the thought of Harry and Meghan naming their son Prentice.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'd love to see an old name like Portia used!

LaRae
Old 02-20-2019, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
New England rather than Upper East Side.
But probably an unlikely name for the Duke of Sussex's child.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
New England rather than Upper East Side.
I wouldn't rule out the South. There are some pretty pretentious names get used in the South at times. Although, my guess would be more Southwest than Southeast.

Closed Thread