Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine the godparents will be people that are close to the couple and were totally on board with them getting married.

Possible godfathers:
Mark Dyer
Jake Warren
Adam Bidwell
Nicholas van Cutsem
Markus Andersson

Possible godmother
Benita Litt
Zara Tindall
Princess Eugenie
Lindsay Roth
Violet von Westenholz

Long shots:
George Clooney
Oprah
Rick Hoffman
Tom Inskip

If the press were to be believed, Tom Inskip is likely to be off the list.

My guesses include Godparents drawn from Serena Williams, Oprah, Jessica Mulroney, Misha N

If the press were to be believed, Tom Inskip is likely to be off the list.

My guesses include Godparents drawn from Serena Williams, Oprah, Jessica Mulroney, Misha N

Two of those women are not Christian and another's religion does not believe in child baptism or godparents.

Oprah seems a stretch, but I guess it could happen.

Oprah? Santa too? Lol.

Throwing this into the mix on godparents that probably will never happen but would be nice if it did.

HM, The Queen as a godparent. :D

To be honest, I think she'd refuse the honor as she's realistic.

Osipi, I seem to remember that only last July Prince Philip attended the baptism of his first cousin three times removed, Inigo Hooper. Philip accepted the honour of being a godfather at age 97.

Two of those women are not Christian and another's religion does not believe in child baptism or godparents.

Oprah seems a stretch, but I guess it could happen.

Muriel was just choosing the most celebrity ones, surprised didn't throw Amal into the mix. Religion wasn't a consideration. Notice the mention of the trash tabloid rumors of Skippy.

Meghan has plenty of long time good friends. If Jessica wasn't Jewish, I would say yes to her being on the list. Not because of some 'Meghan wants to surround herself with celebrities' but because they have been close friends for years. It is also said her and Ben helped her and Harry remain low key before they went public. Not to mention Meghan's bond with Ivy and her brothers.

Celebrities are always at royal weddings. Every British royal wedding had them. The difference with Harry and Meghan? Meghan had an actual personal connection to hers, not just the rare charity event. Why would she have to not choose a friend as a godparent due to them being famous? Now if they chose someone like David Beckham who Harry has only met at the rare charity event, that is another matter.

With religion ruling out many Lindsay Roth and Benita Litt seem the two most likely for godmother from Meghan's side. Others like Genevieve or even her niece Ashleigh are further down for me but possible.

Henriette or Henrietta could be the middle name of a daughter.

Jack Brooksbank could be a godfather.

Muriel was just choosing the most celebrity ones, surprised didn't throw Amal into the mix. Religion wasn't a consideration. Notice the mention of the trash tabloid rumors of Skippy.

Meghan has plenty of long time good friends. If Jessica wasn't Jewish, I would say yes to her being on the list. Not because of some 'Meghan wants to surround herself with celebrities' but because they have been close friends for years. It is also said her and Ben helped her and Harry remain low key before they went public. Not to mention Meghan's bond with Ivy and her brothers.

Celebrities are always at royal weddings. Every British royal wedding had them. The difference with Harry and Meghan? Meghan had an actual personal connection to hers, not just the rare charity event. Why would she have to not choose a friend as a godparent due to them being famous? Now if they chose someone like David Beckham who Harry has only met at the rare charity event, that is another matter.

With religion ruling out many Lindsay Roth and Benita Litt seem the two most likely for godmother from Meghan's side. Others like Genevieve or even her niece Ashleigh are further down for me but possible.

Yes, she named some of Meghan's friends who are celebrities, maybe she was being sarcastic, maybe not, but religion is always a consideration for Christian baptism. A number of people on the forum have mentioned those women as their guesses for godmother over the past 6 months when for purely religious reasons they would not be acceptable to the COE.

I have no problem with friends who happen to be celebrities chosen as godparents. I certainly have no issue with them having attended the wedding. I never gave any indication I did. Friends are friends.

Muriel was just choosing the most celebrity ones, surprised didn't throw Amal into the mix. Religion wasn't a consideration.

I am so glad you seem to believe you know what may be on my mind, irrespective of whether I say it or not. Not leaving any room for ambiguity, you have definitively stated that "Religion wasn't a consideration."

Yes, she named some of Meghan's friends who are celebrities, maybe she was being sarcastic, maybe not, but religion is always a consideration for Christian baptism. A number of people on the forum have mentioned those women as their guesses for godmother over the past 6 months when for purely religious reasons they would not be acceptable to the COE.

Funnily, I put the names down as they appear to be part of Meghan's "set". I had not realised some of them were Jewish.

Notice the mention of the trash tabloid rumors of Skippy.

Is mentioning Skippy's name against the rules of TRF or does it breach any TRF etiquette?

but religion is always a consideration for Christian baptism.

I’m not really an expert, but it wasn’t at my nieces baptism. I’m her godmother and very much not religious. And the vicar/pastor knew. I guess it depends how religious a community is.

I’m not really an expert, but it wasn’t at my niece's baptism. I’m her godmother and very much not religious. And the vicar/pastor knew. I guess it depends how religious a community is.

I guess it depends on the particular Christian denomination. You don’t mention your niece's denomination, so hard to speculate without facts.
It is definitely a requirement for CoE and Catholic godparents, they must be baptised and preferably confirmed themselves.

https://churchofenglandchristenings.org/for-parents/do-godparents-have-to-be-baptized/
https://churchofenglandchristenings...have-to-be-baptized-in-the-church-of-england/

I guess it depends on the particular Christian denomination. You don’t mention your niece's denomination, so hard to speculate without facts.
It is definitely a requirement for CoE and Catholic godparents, they must be baptised and preferably confirmed themselves.

https://churchofenglandchristenings.org/for-parents/do-godparents-have-to-be-baptized/
https://churchofenglandchristenings...have-to-be-baptized-in-the-church-of-england/

Catholic Church in the Netherlands. I am baptised but not religious and not believing. But here it all depends on the pastor. Some are more conservative than others. There used to be one who refused to marry cohabiting people. He wasn’t very popular.

In the Church of Sweden, which I belong to, anyone who's baptised in any Christian church is acceptable as a godparent.
The only requirement the CoS has is that the godparent should have been baptised in the name of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Ghost (which I interpret as that a layman's baptism is accepted) and have been done in clean water.

Last edited:
Catholic Church in the Netherlands. I am baptised but not religious and not believing. But here it all depends on the pastor. Some are more conservative than others. There used to be one who refused to marry cohabiting people. He wasn’t very popular.
Yes,
My children are baptised catholic. Dutch too.
I am not religious and neither are two of the godparents.
But I guess that being so much more the centre of attention as a Royal. Rules are held to more strictly.

This may be kind off off base but the way I see it, its not the religion or how often a person practices said religion but at baptism of a godchild, the main point is that the godparents promise that should it fall to them, they will make sure that their godchild is being raised the religion the child is being baptized into.

The godparents could be of any faith or no faith at all but they would assure that the royal child continues to be raised and knowledgeable about the Church of England of his parent's faith.

This is what makes sense to me.

How does one on the outside judge how religious a person is? A priest or pastor is not going give a questionnaire. They will ask if the person is baptized and in some cases, if they are confirmed as well. That doesn't mean you have any religious leanings as an adult, but that you have some foundation.

The idea is you are meant to help teach the children of their faith. The idea is how would a Jewish person help raise up a child in the Christian faith? Or a Muslim? Or someone raised with no religion? They would have no real deep sense of the faith, other then what they read in a text. Where someone who was raised in a Christian church, even if they don't attend as an adult, would have the foundation to share with that child in their life.

At the end of next month I am to serve as a godmother for the first time. My little godson to be is to be christened in the united church and I am Catholic. But while I am not protestant, I still have a deep Christian foundation.

I don't see anyone without faith, by that an atheist, being a godparent. If they don't believe in god, how do they raise a child in their faith. A guardian, an honorary aunt/uncle, a mentor yes. But a godparent no. Godparents denote a religious based relationship. Religion being a key to it.

The idea is you are meant to help teach the children of their faith. The idea is how would a Jewish person help raise up a child in the Christian faith? Or a Muslim? Or someone raised with no religion? They would have no real deep sense of the faith, other then what they read in a text. Where someone who was raised in a Christian church, even if they don't attend as an adult, would have the foundation to share with that child in their life.

Deep sense of the faith is a bit vague. Understanding of a certain faith is different for everyone. Northern Europeans, even when believers, are more secular than Americans. And understanding of Christianity is different for them than it is for someone from, let's say, midwestern USA. Even understanding faith is largely cultural.

Carin, We think alike! Previously I had suggested Edwina. Someone thought it was to honor Edwina Mountbatten.

I seriously doubt Edwina, particularly NOT as a first name. It sounds much too old-fashioned. But Theodora, Patricia, Rose, and Cecily sound reasonable. ?

On the order of Theodora, I would think that Henrietta, Roberta, and even Raina, are possible.

Raina Henrietta Diana
Raina Henrietta Frances
Raina Alexandra Henrietta
Raina Victoria Frances

Diana's stepmother's name was Raine. But I'm thinking more of Raina because it begins with an 'R' and because of it's meaning. ;) As we know, Meghan's first name begins with an 'R.'

I also like the suggestion 'Doriana' someone mentioned earlier, or maybe
Dorothea Frances Henrietta

Henriette or Henrietta could be the middle name of a daughter.

Jack Brooksbank could be a godfather.

Henrietta has been mentioned quite often in this thread, which does seem a strong possibility as being at least one of the names chosen for a girl.

Why in particular are you thinking of Jack Brooksbank as a godparent? Is he actually that close to the Sussexes aside from being Princess Eugenie's husband?

Last edited by a moderator:
How does one on the outside judge how religious a person is? A priest or pastor is not going give a questionnaire. They will ask if the person is baptized and in some cases, if they are confirmed as well. That doesn't mean you have any religious leanings as an adult, but that you have some foundation.

At the end of next month I am to serve as a godmother for the first time. My little godson to be is to be christened in the united church and I am Catholic. But while I am not protestant, I still have a deep Christian foundation.

I don't see anyone without faith, by that an atheist, being a godparent. If they don't believe in god, how do they raise a child in their faith. A guardian, an honorary aunt/uncle, a mentor yes. But a godparent no. Godparents denote a religious based relationship. Religion being a key to it.

Here in my dioceses at least one of the godparents must be a practicing Catholic and a form is sent to their parish to verify this.

LaRae

Henrietta has been mentioned quite often in this thread, which does seem a strong possibility as being at least one of the names chosen for a girl.

Why in particular are you thinking of Jack Brooksbank as a godparent? Is he actually that close to the Sussexes aside from being Princess Eugenie's husband?

I really don't see how suggestions on a message board are any indication of what the Sussexes will name their child? I'm not sure why you think it does?

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't see how suggestions on a message board are any indication of what the Sussexes will name their child? I'm not sure why you think it does?

Why do you think that I think that? You are mis-reading or over-reading/ misinterpreting my post.

Of course, this is a fun, trivial thread. The 'Henrietta' name suggestion has been mentioned quite often because it obviously is a female version of Harry's given name. Obviously, we have absolutely no way of knowing what the child's name or gender will be. The point of this thread is to make possible suggestions in a lighthearted way. And it will be fun to see whether anything suggested here hits the jackpot in any way.

In fact, bets on possible names and gender are obviously officially being placed.

As far as the other part of my previous post, I was simply wondering why Jack Brooksbank's name would even be a guess for a godparent? I haven't heard anything suggesting he is particularly close to either Harry or Meghan. My thinking would be that close friends would be chosen primarily, with the off-chance of a close relative being included.

None of this guessing is overly serious, or at least it shouldn't be. But I don't see the issue with questioning some suggestions.

Last edited:
Because you said:

Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Henrietta has been mentioned quite often in this thread, which does seem a strong possibility as being at least one of the names chosen for a girl.....

LaRae

Right, it's pretty obviously in black-and-white what I said. ?

Again yes, I happen to think that 'Henrietta' is a strong possibility for one of the names if the baby is a girl. My 'strong possibility' feeling is neither here nor there since I'm not one of the parents, nor even related. :lol: It's just an inkling on my part, since it is the feminine version of Harry's given name. I'm sure that's why it's been mentioned often enough in this thread.

If I was a betting person, I might even place a bet. ;) Since I don't bet on such things, I won't be placing a bet. :D

Maybe Henrietta is just as strong a possibility as Victoria, Elizabeth, Diana, Frances, or Jeanette being one of the given names, if the baby is a girl. Or not, especially not if it's a boy. ?

Last edited:
I agree that Henrietta or Victoria is not a strong possibility for a boy ?

:previous: Saffron has the same feel as Savannah, Isla and Mia; unusual but not totally unimaginable though the name itself (bar any royal connections) does feel slightly dated to me. I can imagine a name along the lines of Saffron for a potential second child should the Sussexes have one, though for the first I think they'll stick to "safer" names.

Alexandrina or Alexa for a girl

Philip must be one of a boy's names and maybe another "A" name, but not Andrew

This isn't my original idea as I saw it in a tweet in a thread next door but when it was mentioned, it sounded like a darned good idea. Lady (Princess) Daphne of Sussex.

Harry and Meghan have sent a Happy 99th Birthday card to the woman that has won Harry's heart and the hearts of all that followed the tour down under. Harry met her when single and again when he was newly married and introduced his wife to Daphne and stated that they'd like to bring their child there to meet her also. (the pregnancy had just been announced)

Its a beautiful name that has meaning for the couple without stirring up anything in a teacup. Of course if its a boy.... nevermind. :D

Last edited:
Matilda for a girl, Alexander for a boy.

Matilda for a girl would be a nice reintroduction of names from the era of King William I. Henry I's daughter was Matilda.

For a son Paul could be used as a middle name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom