Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please avoid making personal comments about other members' posting styles - several posts have been edited to remove such personal comments including subsequent responses. If you wish to have a personal conversion or debate, please do so by private message and not in this thread.

Well travelling from all over to marry their Princes doesn’t appear to have done Mary, Maxima, Charlene et al any harm. I mean they haven’t keeled over as yet :lol::lol: Mary all the way from Australia to become a Danish Princess, imagine that? Maxima from Argentina to the Netherlands. These were previously high flying career women. South African sportswoman Charlene left it all behind for her Albert. There’s also the French Marie. Plus a few other women from other countries marrying into the British Royal Family.

Meghan will do just fine, she loves charity work and had her acting to put a roof over head, a job she obviously enjoyed. But whereas before, her charitable endeavours were time-limited, she will now have plenty of time to devote herself fully to a career of charity work on a much bigger platform. She also wants to start a family and at her age a change of direction regarding her acting career was likely needed anyway.

I don't know about Mary, but I don't think we can compare Máxima's position to Meghan's. For starters, Máxima kept her religion (she didn't convert to the Dutch Reformed church despite early pressure to do it) and also kept her Argentinian citizenship (which she says she is unable to give up under Argentinian law). In any case, she visits Argentina quite often and even bought a house there, if I am not mistaken. Furthermore, she is the queen consort and one who, according to many observers, has an unusual influence on her husband to the point that some people argue she co-runs the royal household. While being queen imposes certain demands and obligations on Máxima that Meghan will never have, we can say on the other hand that, now that W-A is king, Máxima doesn't have to "do as she has been told" in the way Meghan will always have to do within the BRF.

Last edited:
I don't think there's really any confusion about the timeline, and imho there's nothing factual or even remotely factual to support this. There is Piers Morgan of all people saying, that Meghan told him she was recently single when they met for drinks. That supports Meghan and Harrys's timeline, and I don't really get why their timeline is even questioned. But this is just my opinion, and not meant to put down other people's opinions.

From the VF story and the engagement interview clearly the message is that they started dating in July. I'm willing to go with that. Meghan took pains to make sure the VF article corrected the date. The inconsistency for me has always been in the 5-6 mos they were supposedly dating in secret. Camilla Tominey's story came out at the very end of Oct and Harry's declaration was 1st wk of Nov. At that point, the secret was out. That's not 5 months. If they would stop saying almost 6 months in secret, then folks would stop questioning the timeline. But hey if Meghan can round 16 mos up to 2 years then rounding 4 mos to 6 isn't that big of a deal. I love this couple but my wedding gift to them would be a calculator. ?

There are also a bunch of lazy media outlets still reporting that they started dating in May/June. That doesn't help. As others have said, I don't think we got the whole story (they don't owe us that) but I do think what they've shared was the truth. Others may be concerned about lies of omission but in this case I'm giving them a pass.

I have a question for everyone....did you all think that Harry and Meghan will get the kind of crowds being seen on their engagements? TBH, it is very surprising to me that they are generating this kind of attention.
Did Kate get an assistant before she was married?
I think the royal house must be shocked given that Meghan is such an unconventional bride!!!!!

I have a question for everyone....did you all think that Harry and Meghan will get the kind of crowds being seen on their engagements? TBH, it is very surprising to me that they are generating this kind of attention.
I think the royal house must be shocked given that Meghan is such an unconventional bride!!!!!

The public had far more time to get used to Kate as a royal bride than they have Meghan. She is so different from what people expected and probably will be for some time, that I do not see interest fading any time soon.

I've said this for a long time (about Harry initially) folks are not going to lose interest in Harry like they have Andrew (being a second son farther away from the throne)...Harry has a totally different type of charisma AND because he is a son of Diana.

Meghan has only upped the interest and from a new field of royal watchers...more Americans and of course people of color who are for sure watching her now.

This couple (and their children) are going to be of interest for decades to come.

LaRae

I've said this for a long time (about Harry initially) folks are not going to lose interest in Harry like they have Andrew (being a second son farther away from the throne)...Harry has a totally different type of charisma AND because he is a son of Diana.

Meghan has only upped the interest and from a new field of royal watchers...more Americans and of course people of color who are for sure watching her now.

This couple (and their children) are going to be of interest for decades to come.

LaRae
Andrew has other issues that made him unpopular, I don't want to get into that here. However, Harry is certainly very charismatic and personable with the people.

I will say that they are slightly different situations. Meghan has other things on her plate in terms of dealing with immigration things (yes, I know they have lawyers, but some she will have to do on her own) and she doesn't have her mom and sister in the country with her to help with the wedding planning. She has some friends in UK, but most are either in Toronto or LA, and can't help out as much with the wedding. Plus, she'll still spend some time traveling abroad to see family and friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Meghan isn't a normal bride who has a lot of planning to handle for a wedding. Yes she will be hands on but she will have palace staff, and a wedding planner and more. And thankfully modern technology, her friends like her stylist Jessica, are only a skype away for advice.

LaRae

Completely agree. I think I've been just a tiny bit surprised at the explosion of interest - I think I expected that to happen earlier - but I'm not surprised at the actual interest, if that makes sense. I just think people in general were slow (both in the US and the UK) to cotton on to Meghan being "IT" for Harry ... and then after the engagement announcement when Meghan was on the cover of every tabloid in the newstand (I should have taken a picture), I think people went nuts for Meghan.

I think they are going to generate interest for a very long time... For Americans, she's the next Grace Kelly. That's just huge for us.

:previous: Meghan isn't a normal bride who has a lot of planning to handle for a wedding. Yes she will be hands on but she will have palace staff, and a wedding planner and more. And thankfully modern technology, her friends like her stylist Jessica, are only a skype away for advice.

I highly doubt the new assistant private secretary is helping her make wedding planning decisions. But can you imagine trying to keep her schedule straight? I'd go bananas. That was my point.

Completely agree. I think I've been just a tiny bit surprised at the explosion of interest - I think I expected that to happen earlier - but I'm not surprised at the actual interest, if that makes sense. I just think people in general were slow (both in the US and the UK) to cotton on to Meghan being "IT" for Harry ... and then after the engagement announcement when Meghan was on the cover of every tabloid in the newstand (I should have taken a picture), I think people went nuts for Meghan.

I think they are going to generate interest for a very long time... For Americans, she's the next Grace Kelly. That's just huge for us.
It only took us a few decades to get a new American princess. :lol: And yes, I'm aware of other women marrying into other royal houses and nobility like Princess Angela, but no one keep the profile that she does or Grace Kelly did.

Quite frankly, I think a lot of the UK royal experts and stiff upper lips are just coming around to this relationship now. A lot of them dismissed this relationship when it first broke as nothing more than a fling and still considered her not good enough while it looked like the relationship was getting serious. It's only now that they are accepting this is reality and better get on with it.

She's going to be bigger than Grace was.

LaRae

Quite frankly, I think a lot of the UK royal experts and stiff upper lips are just coming around to this relationship now. A lot of them dismissed this relationship when it first broke as nothing more than a fling and still considered her not good enough while it looked like the relationship was getting serious. It's only now that they are accepting this is reality and better get on with it.

I agree. I think for a long time people just didn't take the relationship seriously despite Harry making it pretty darn clear his feelings. I mean a lot of media knew it was. That statement was no joke and sent the message loud and clear to many of the serious royal followers. I think in their heart of hearts knew it was legit but just were in denial.

As for the current interest. It is to be expected. As mentioned up-thread, we had almost a decade with Kate. Harry and Meghan won't even have been together 2 years when they marry. That is a big difference. Everything with Meghan is brand new despite the fact she had a bigger public profile. I guess that is also the intrigue.

Funny enough Meghan's last episodes of Suits have been postponed. It was suppose to premiere this month but now rumors is that it will be pushed back until March. I wonder if they trying to time out the weddings for that added promo since Meghan won't be participating in anything.

Last edited:
I figured Harry and Meghan were more serious based on the superficial; I sometimes notice when a guy has a string of types and then deviates from it. Gives me the impression that something has changed. Plus I was happy because she was another brunet and years ago some commentator said WnH would end up marrying blondes.

For a lot of people too ! She is so beautiful and likeable !!!!!

I don't know about Mary, but I don't think we can compare Máxima's position to Meghan's. For starters, Máxima kept her religion (she didn't convert to the Dutch Reformed church despite early pressure to do it) and also kept her Argentinian citizenship (which she says she is unable to give up under Argentinian law). In any case, she visits Argentina quite often and even bought a house there, if I am not mistaken. Furthermore, she is the queen consort and one who, according to many observers, has an unusual influence on her husband to the point that some people argue she co-runs the royal household. While being queen imposes certain demands and obligations on Máxima that Meghan will never have, we can say on the other hand that, now that W-A is king, Máxima doesn't have to "do as she has been told" in the way Meghan will always have to do within the BRF.

I should also point out - again - that unlike the other commoners who married princes, Meghan isn't simply giving up a country or a career. Yes, she will be able to devote herself to charitable causes full-time but it's one thing to help the underprivileged and another to go a step further and publicly question the political and social institutions that created or perpetuate the inequalities in the first place. This is a woman who has been doing that since she was 12 years old. Keeping quiet - at least in public - on controversial issues that are dear to her heart will be an adjustment for Meghan. It's no coincidence that she's shut down her social media accounts.

Does that mean she won't be a success? Of course not. I believe she and Harry will definitely be a power couple. But I also believe her past activities as a vocal supporter/opponent of social & political causes is what makes her choice as a royal marriage partner such a dramatic shift for the BRF - not just her career, nationality, or even racial background.

See Robert Lacey's and Dickie Arbiter's comments in an article published in the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/29/meghan-markle-royal-protocol-donald-trump-brexit

Reactions: Ish
Ms Markle will find us open to efforts to improve the lives of others,and to encourage those that do the same, both here and abroad. That is what the BRF have done since WWII, and arguably before.
However ANYTHING remotely political or controversial, [or anything likely to be construed as such], will henceforth be [rightly] OFF Limits.
She will be carefully guided away from such pitfalls which [potentially] could wreck her popularity here, by KP. It is not the role of the BRF [or any member of it] to dabble with such issues, and she will not change that.

Ms Markle will find us open to efforts to improve the lives of others,and to encourage those that do the same, both here and abroad. That is what the BRF have done since WWII, and arguably before.
However ANYTHING remotely political or controversial, [or anything likely to be construed as such], will henceforth be [rightly] OFF Limits.
She will be carefully guided away from such pitfalls which [potentially] could wreck her popularity here, by KP. It is not the role of the BRF [or any member of it] to dabble with such issues, and she will not change that.

You hit the nail right on the head!

I'm not understanding this continued concern over her political ideas. She hasn't made a non-neutral peep since this relationship begin. Even the sign from her IG of Bremain was before the relationship. And btw, what she took issue with Trump was misogyny, not issues like tax reform and other typical political issue. It is only seen as political because he became a politician although didn't he claim not to be one at that time, in which case wouldn't it negate the political nature of it.

I'm sure her political views will be kept private, and she can work out her beliefs by what she does, rather than what she says. HM is the head of state and the family is an extension of that. There's a lot to be said for having a head of state who endures despite who is in power.

Meghan hasn't said anything. I feel the main issue for many is that we know her stand on things because she was a public person before Harry. So she spoke freely and at times very bluntly about issues. So people can't help by use her past political stands against her regardless of the fact she hasn't said or did anything in a long time.

I'm not understanding this continued concern over her political ideas. She hasn't made a non-neutral peep since this relationship begin. Even the sign from her IG of Bremain was before the relationship. And btw, what she took issue with Trump was misogyny, not issues like tax reform and other typical political issue. It is only seen as political because he became a politician although didn't he claim not to be one at that time, in which case wouldn't it negate the political nature of it.

But that's exactly the point. Whereas she *regularly* commented on political issues *before* her relationship with Harry she hasn't done so since it began. Why? Because she can't. Even if she wants to. And that must be a big adjustment for her. Does this mean she'll be miserable because of it? No, she obviously believes her future with Harry is worth the loss, but it's big change from her past life just the same. And it's not an adjustment that Harry has to make which is an important point because the discussion was focused on who was making the most changes - Harry or Meghan?

For example, we all regularly voice our opinions publicly on Royal Forums, especially on topics we feel strongly about. Stop doing that for a day or so and see how you feel. That's essentially what Meghan is having to do.

BTW, Meghan made her remarks about Trump during the presidential campaign so it was in fact a political statement. And misogyny becomes a political issue when a misogynist runs for political office. ?

I love this couple, I think Meghan can be great in that role. I have been a fan of hers since 2011 watching suits. I only have one reservation if this will be a successful marriage. Since I was a fan of hers I have followed her and most of her other activities. Meghan's goal was to one day run for the US presidency, that was the career she wanted to go into right after graduating from Northwestern, which is why she took that internship job at the US embassy in Buenos Aires. Acting was plan B, she said as much in interviews.

Once her acting career took off in 2011, she slowly started to build up her profile in late 2012/2013 for a career shift. Right after that, she started the tig and she started to write articles in magazines about her bi-racial background. She later join the UN/Young World/World Vision Canada. She was building her profile to eventually make that shift. She started to get more vocal and voice her political views around the US election in 2015/16.

I have no doubt Meghan would have become a household name in the US in a decade. Harry just accelerated it by 10 years. Which brings me to my only reservation about this union. Meghan to me does not strike me as someone who will be happy in that role for long. I am sure she can manage 5 years, but can she be satisfy in that role for life? I am not sure. This marriage to me will flourish if Harry can somehow help her channel all those ambition of hers towards humanitarian works. She will get bored easily if all she will be doing is ribbon cutting and playing dress up. She is too intelligent for that, and it would be a shame.

The deciding factor to me will be if she gives up her US citizenship, if she does then I will be 100% sold. If she retains it, then I will remain at 99%. That's my only hesitation today, someone like her does not seem she will be satisfy with that role for life because she will be miserable.

Last edited:
toukale perhaps a study of the BRF if you thikn all they do is cut ribbons and play dress up.

LaRae

toukale perhaps a study of the BRF if you thikn all they do is cut ribbons and play dress up.

LaRae

Your are right, I don't know enough about the BRF to make that call, which is why I am seating at 99% with this union. I have no doubt Meghan can be great in that role, she tick all the boxes of what one needs to be successful in that role. I just have that 1% reservation about what her dreams were since she was a child, that's decades of thinking about a goal. You don't just move it to the side with no remorse.

Your are right, I don't know enough about the BRF to make that call, which is why I am seating at 99% with this union. I have no doubt Meghan can be great in that role, she tick all the boxes of what one needs to be successful in that role. I just have that 1% reservation about what her dreams were since she was a child, that's decades of thinking about a goal. You don't just move it to the side with no remorse.

Watching the engagement interview was interesting, if you haven't seen it. Seems like she was ready for a change.

There was an old article or interview talked about her months ago where she talked about how she really wanted to focus on the charitable angle and how her job basically gave her the ability to do that (funding).

Another article/interview that was posted was about her being open to and wanting a family..and realizing she would have to make some changes with her career to do that.

Knowing that...I don't really find it all that surprising that she agreed to marry Harry ...I think the emphasis has been that she is moving on to the next chapter in her life. So evidently she is comfortable with letting some things go...and really its' no different than any other couple that has to make changes with jobs, locations etc when they marry.

LaRae

I love this couple, I think Meghan can be great in that role. I have been a fan of hers since 2011 watching suits. I only have one reservation if this will be a successful marriage. Since I was a fan of hers I have followed her and most of her other activities. Meghan's goal was to one day run for the US presidency, that was the career she wanted to go into right after graduating from Northwestern, which is why she took that internship job at the US embassy in Buenos Aires. Acting was plan B, she said as much in interviews.

Once her acting career took off in 2011, she slowly started to build up her profile in late 2012/2013 for a career shift. Right after that, she started the tig and she started to write articles in magazines about her bi-racial background. She later join the UN/Young World/World Vision Canada. She was building her profile to eventually make that shift. She started to get more vocal and voice her political views around the US election in 2015/16.

I have no doubt Meghan would have become a household name in the US in a decade. Harry just accelerated it by 10 years. Which brings me to my only reservation about this union. Meghan to me does not strike me as someone who will be happy in that role for long. I am sure she can manage 5 years, but can she be satisfy in that role for life? I am not sure. This marriage to me will flourish if Harry can somehow help her channel all those ambition of hers towards humanitarian works. She will get bored easily if all she will be doing is ribbon cutting and playing dress up. She is too intelligent for that, and it would be a shame.

The deciding factor to me will be if she gives up her US citizenship, if she does then I will be 100% sold. If she retains it, then I will remain at 99%. That's my only hesitation today, someone like her does not seem she will be satisfy with that role for life because she will be miserable.

First thing, I've followed Meghan a long time, and I've never heard her having a serious goal of one day running for President. She went into diplomacy because she studied international relations and theater, and from what we know now, she has an uncle that was a diplomat. And even if it was a goal by going through that route, she obviously gave it up long before Harry came into the picture.

I never saw her move into philanthropic work and advocacy as a way to get into politics. I saw that as a way for her to do her part in making the world a better place. And by the work she was doing, being President isn't going to do it. If she wanted to be a politician, she could've done so long ago. Her overall goal was to advocate for girls to achieve their best potential regardless if it's leadership in politics, business, or education. She's sat on panels with a lot of business leaders and was quite well versed on what unique things different business leaders around the world are doing to encourage female leadership. That doesn't mean she's interested in a managing role in Fortune 500.

And I don't think all she'll be doing is cutting ribbons and such. There will be the mundane things as the current royals retire and more of their duties are handed down to the younger generation. However, I think she can still carve out passion projects as Harry have done with his causes.

I will agree with you that I have no doubt Meghan could make a difference on her own eventually even if she hadn't met Harry. I've had my reservations about whether this was a wise choice for her considering what she has to give up and the scrutiny she will face now, and ultimately decided not to keep score as some things you really can't put a number on (love and companionship of someone you feel is the one).

All this is to say, I don't see too much of a concern about Meghan adjusting. She has changed what she communicates to public long before the engagement was announced. If she had a problem with it, she'd have thought about things twice. She's not some wide eyed teenager going into this marriage. I'd hope at 36, she knows herself and what she's getting into.

Its kind of humorous to read that Meghan's ambitions was the US Presidency. I'd never heard that one before. One who has that kind of a goal has the idea firmly implanted in her mind that her aims are to make a difference. To create a better US and a more prosperous US in the long run.

Looking at the direction Meghan's taking away from that goal, I can only see it as discovering that she's moved on from a national goal to a world stage where she can accomplish even more. Many of the issues and the concerns that the younger members of the BRF are involved with now are on more of a global effort than just national. In all areas of the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, you'll find global endeavors. One look at Harry's Invictus Games is a good example of this and so is Harry's Sentebale. The Royal Foundations work with United for Wildlife has brought about some very significant changes also. They're addressing mental health with Heads Together that encompasses many different areas of humanity.

With Meghan joining Harry in his public as well and his private life, Meghan has a world stage opened to her where the opportunities to make a difference in this world are endless. To me, that's the brass ring on the merry go round of the humanitarian work of making a difference.

I have no doubt Meghan would have become a household name in the US in a decade. Harry just accelerated it by 10 years.

I seriously doubt it. She was a late boomer as far as her acting career was concerned and the best she got was a role on a marginal cable TV show, which may be long running, but is by no means memorable as some shows on American TV are or were in the past. After Suits finished its run, Meghan would probably have a hard time landing another major role. Most likely, she could re-invent herself as a blogger or social media personality, maybe in connection with areas she has shown interest in like cooking, but I don't see her acting career lasting much longer as she moved into her 40s.

I assume that giving up her US citizenship is a done deal for her. She just has to wait for the British naturalization process to be complete, which may take some time, or else she runs the risk of becoming stateless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom