Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why you are leaning that direction Mbruno.

LaRae

Do I detect a hint of irony in the Duchess of Cornwall's remarks ? Add to that the very protocol comments by the Duchess of Cambridge and it makes me think that the other ladies in the family may be not so enthusiastic about Harry's choice after all.

Oh here we go again. Can we please stop putting the ladies against each other? I noticed in general it’s always the women that are suspected not to get along. The Duchess of Cornwall actually said a lot more including that America’s loss is our gain and that it’s nice to have a bit of good news in a world where there are a lot dreary news. I do think she’s thrilled.

I'm not sure why you are leaning that direction Mbruno.

LaRae

I am just reacting to their comments and to the DM's take on the story, which I think is a fair point.

a hint of irony in the Duchess of Cornwall's remarks ?

No, NONE.. They know Harry and love him, how could they POSSIBLY be 'less than enthusiastic' at his obvious joy ?

I was surprised to learn they were in Botswana in the past. I actually like they went so soon after dating. Having a long distance relationship and having little ways to have privacy it makes a lot of sense. It makes the use of a Botswana diamond even more special.

I think almost everyone was surprised about the first Botswana trip. All the time Norway was considered their 'first trip together' and where he should propose etc; while it was Botswana that has a special place in their relationship - now symbolized by the ring - it was quite a step to do so after only two dates!

Harry was in Africa that summer for his wildlife volunteer work, so as he said 'it happened to be the perfect gap' (in their diaries - at a place that has become significant to them because of these first 5 days in which they really got to know each other).

I am just reacting to their comments and to the DM's take on the story, which I think is a fair point.

Just take a look at the video included in the article, she says a bit more and seems genuinely happy.

If you watch the video of Camilla or read all of her comments in the DM article, that’s not a fair point.

As close as Harry is to his family there is very little likely hood he would marry someone who wasn't welcomed by his family or marry a woman who didn't care for his family.

LaRae

Do I detect a hint of irony in the Duchess of Cornwall's remarks ? Add to that the very protocol comments by the Duchess of Cambridge and it makes me think that the other ladies in the family may be not so enthusiastic about Harry's choice after all.

BTW, see below the Cambridge English dictionary definitiion of "gush". i.e. the verb used in the DM's headline:

[/B]

It seems like no comment would be taken as they are. Kate's 'protocol' comments aren't good, and Camilla's gushing comments are not sincere. What would've bern the appropriate comment from them?

I'm making my bets on both ladies being happy and thrilled for Harry, and his choice of woman, Meghan.

Very nicely said by Camilla.

LaRae

It seems like no comment would be taken as they are. Kate's 'protocol' comments aren't good, and Camilla's gushing comments are not sincere. What would've bern the appropriate comment from them?

I'm making my bets on both ladies being happy and thrilled for Harry, and his choice of woman, Meghan.

Thank you, you have said it better than I could. I couldn't find the right words. I think all this over-analyzing and looking for things that aren't there (and if they were, how would we know?) is getting a bit tiresome.
Indeed, just take what's being said for truth. We have no reason to believe otherwise.

To those who are still detracting, I say this: Meghan will take to her new role like a duck to water, but even if she didn't, I actually believe that Harry loves his fiancée enough to forfeit his place in the line of succession, and live privately, supported financially by his father and brother rather modestly. IF. But they're going to be a brilliant team.

Didn't that ship sail? The queen approved the marriage (otherwise we surely would have heard by now), so forfeiting his place is not on the table?!

I saw on Twitter where a little girl gave Camilla a card for Harry/Meghan and Camilla said she'd pass it along. Very sweet!

LaRae

Reacting to the DM's take on the story? Really? Mbruno, you know the DM better than that.

And taking a snippet of a comment not in context to twist things?

To me it looks as if Harry at some point says there was one moment in the interview that he felt they (he?) said something wrong but other than that he was happy with the interview.

Yeah I wasn't really reading the lips..just watching how they acted.

LaRae

I do like Camilla's response a bit better than Catherine's (that seemed rather impersonal and general with her 'every couple would be...') but they are different people.

It seems that William, Catherine and Harry have made it a point NOT to comment too much in public about each other's private lives (recently, Harry deflected questions about Catherine's pregnancy) as they seem to think that is not their place. Based on the engagement interview I don't have any worries that they don't get along or wouldn't be happy with Harry's choice.

So, yes, I am quite sure they are genuinely happy for Harry that he found and is engaged to be married to the person he wants to spend his life with!

I do like Camilla's response a bit better than Catherine's (that seemed rather impersonal and general with her 'every couple would be...') but they are different people.

It seems that William, Catherine and Harry have made it a point NOT to comment too much in public about each other's private lives (recently, Harry deflected questions about Catherine's pregnancy) as they seem to think that is not their place. Based on the engagement interview I don't have any worries that they don't get along or wouldn't be happy with Harry's choice.

So, yes, I am quite sure they are genuinely happy for Harry that he found and is engaged to be married to the person he wants to spend his life with!

I agree. I think Camilla is just more open than Kate... Kate is extremely reserved/private - probably out of remembrance of how she was treated in the press - she probably feels the less said, the better. She always looks slightly wary/uncomfortable with the press.

Camilla is just like ... whatevs!! :lol:

I think everyone is thrilled - they've all been waiting for Harry to settle down for a long while, so this is happy news.

Kate’s comment might have seemed guarded to some but I don’t think you can read anything by that. I’m sure she’s thrilled. Everyone wants a reaction from the family but to parse every word is silly

I cannot wait to see Harry and Meghan and the Cambridge’s together. For so long there was just the trio. Now that’s all officially changed.

I believe that we'll see the two couples together for engagements with the Royal Foundation now and then. ?

And, if so, Harry doesn't seem to mind at all either.

LaRae

I just saw that Curryong...so what do you think?

Delivering the date/place info for the release?

LaRae

It might have been just a courtesy visit to tell Grannie how they thought the engagement interview went. Or perhaps discussions are ongoing regarding the choice of wedding venue. I'm resigned to St George's, which is beautiful, but it could be WA.

I can't imagine what else....too late for luncheon and to early for tea (with the Queen).

LaRae

I can't imagine what else....too late for luncheon and to early for tea (with the Queen).

LaRae

Camilla Tominey said a briefing at Buckingham Palace is expected today regarding location and at least the month of the wedding. Probably to finalize some of the details?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom