Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The three have attended events together for the heads together campaign, and things like movie studio visits. It seems to have lead people to believe it will go from a threesome to a foursome.

I feel like the three have attended events together because Harry had no one else to attend events with, and they included him. Third-wheeling all the way :lol::lol:

But I get that we might see them from time to time together on campaigns such as Heads Together, but they should be mostly separate as like M Payton said they can do a lot more separate. I have no doubt that "at home" they'll be a cheeky little foursome etc.

I do see Meghan making her mark on the Royal Foundation though, as that will undoubtedly continue.

I've just watched last nights interview, and maybe it's just the un-romantic in me but I found it very sweet. Like just a bit too smiley. Now don't judge but hopefully you get what I mean. :flowers:

"Smiley" , yes ! I was very smiley the day i got engaged to the man I love, in fact I don't think I stopped smiling from proposal to about a week later !!!
One thing I pick up from the BBC news this morning is that President trump hasn't sent a message of congratulations !
Come on Mr President , Megan is one of your own !!

The "Guards " chapel has been mentioned as a possible venue. I am not sure how big this is as I have never been there, one of the few churches in London I haven't .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit , I did have my doubts about Megan and Harry's relationship. Now I don't , it is obvious to all that they are very much in love . They look "right " together, and I don't think for one minute that Harry is getting anyone of a "lower standard".
Megan will be an asset to our Royal Family , a woman who has had a career , can handle the media with confidence, has already established her humanitarian interests and work.

I definitely agree. How often do the Fates throw together a couple that can have such cute nicknames such as our MaiaMia_53 has come up with. Nutmeg and Ginger. Sounds like a cozy, winter drink to me. :D

There was a poignant throwback to the engagement day of Harry's parents. When asked by the interviewer "..........And in love?" Diana giggled shyly, blushed, and replied "Of course". When asked if his proposal had been romantic, Harry -complete with tiny giggle and a hint of blush- replied "Of course"! Diana's presence was there in more than just the two smaller diamonds in Meghan's magnificent ring.

I'm actually so in awe with Harry. He hit so many home runs with this interview. One huge one was, that he let Meghan handle the racism question on her own, completely, without commenting on it specifically. While it effects him too, through her, it's her experience.

I also noticed, that they aren't only yes yesing each other. They are able to disagree, or offer an opposing opinion, and it's normal. They hear each out and respect each other.

I also appreciated, how he addressed the demanding career and job she has/had. Her career can easily be brushed off as 'just a d-list actress', but filming schedules usually are VERY tight, taxing and demanding. I like that he acknowledged the 4 AM mornings etc.

He also didn't shy away from expressing his love and feelings for Meghan, appreciating her 'greatness', and expressing how their relationship is the first priority. Added the geek out over 'husband' comment.

He did so well.

I think the ring is very dull, I don't generally like diamonds as the main stone and I appereicate Harry wanting to put some of his mother's jewels into it, but coudlnt' he have desgined something ab it more "glamourous" and had Di's diamonds surrounding or flanking it?

I think the ring is very dull, I don't generally like diamonds as the main stone and I appereicate Harry wanting to put some of his mother's jewels into it, but coudlnt' he have desgined something ab it more "glamourous" and had Di's diamonds surrounding or flanking it?

The bride prefers simple and elegant jewelry. I think that takes precedence over any of our personal preference, no? It’s a beautiful ring when you look at it close up. I would say save the glamour for fashion jewelry, the engagement will be worn every day and should stand the test of time. Classic designs are best in this case.

Rebecca English‏ @RE_DailyMail
The Duchess of Cambridge today on #PrinceHarry and #MeghanMarkle's #engagement: William and I are absolutely thrilled. It’s such exciting news. It’s a really happy time for any couple and we wish them all the best and hope they enjoy this happy moment.

I love this!

James Whatling‏
@JWhatling
16h16 hours ago

So there you have it. If this is the face of a new, more modern Monarchy then it's alright with me. Congratulations Harry & Meghan, you have both chosen very well. To those that doubted, hated and poured scorn, I hope you choked on your cornflakes this morning #harryandmeghan

I love this!

James Whatling‏
@JWhatling
16h16 hours ago

So there you have it. If this is the face of a new, more modern Monarchy then it's alright with me. Congratulations Harry & Meghan, you have both chosen very well. To those that doubted, hated and poured scorn, I hope you choked on your cornflakes this morning #harryandmeghan

It was so funny yesterday on royal correspondent twitter world. Someone mentioned after this post that technically they can’t as the announcement came at 10 am and they’ve likely finished their corn flakes by then. :lol: He told them they were splitting heirs by then. :lol:

Rebecca English is reporting that Duchess of Cornwall was asked today about Meghan and said “she is a star!”.

I love this!

James Whatling‏
@JWhatling
16h16 hours ago

It was so funny yesterday on royal correspondent twitter world. Someone mentioned after this post that technically they can’t as the announcement came at 10 am and they’ve likely finished their corn flakes by then. :lol: He told them they were splitting heirs by then. :lol:

I'm surprised that some seem to feel the engagement is rushed, when they have been seeing each other over a year!

But then, I'm not a fan of these long drawn-out courtships that last for years.
All too often, they end badly.

I'm surprised that some seem to feel the engagement is rushed, when they have been seeing each other over a year!

A fresh example: Princess Beatrice and Dave Clark.:sad:

It’s all relative. William dated Kate for 7 years, so by contrast that was short. :lol:

This marvellous error on the strapline is confirmed as genuine [it actually relates to the German Governmental kerfuffle]..

Attachments

• genuine.jpg
    genuine.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
To those who are still detracting, I say this: Meghan will take to her new role like a duck to water, but even if she didn't, I actually believe that Harry loves his fiancée enough to forfeit his place in the line of succession, and live privately, supported financially by his father and brother rather modestly. IF. But they're going to be a brilliant team.

Someone just pm'd me mentioning that Victoria with Daniel at their wedding was very tactile, to the extent of brushing aside a tear on his cheek. I am reminded how tactile Diana was in public, so that a critique of Meghan's tactile habits starts to sound contradictory. :ermm: If Diana is to be valued for her ability to reach out and touch people, should not the woman Harry, her son, chooses as wife, be lauded for that very same quality? Just wondering.

It's too early to be talking about what will eventuate, of course, they may not even know themselves (even with Harry's hinting in that direction), but I have a hunch joint appearances will not be as often as might be now envisioned. The two couples may be too different in manner to withstand the critique. Just a thought. :cool:

Yes, they will do joint engagements together from time to time. Especially through the Royal Foundation.

Two more things from their interview:

1. What books did they talk about on the first date?!?!
2. I love that the commonwealth got a shout out from Meghan today. It’s her first interview as a future member of the royal family.

She's lived in Canada for the last 7 years, so I am not surprised - but it is indeed good to see a future family member being very much aware that the Queen is not just the head of state of the UK.

To those who are still detracting, I say this: Meghan will take to her new role like a duck to water, but even if she didn't, I actually believe that Harry loves his fiancée enough to forfeit his place in the line of succession, and live privately, supported financially by his father and brother rather modestly. IF. But they're going to be a brilliant team.

Even if she needs more time to adjust and adapt, I don’t see him having to give up his place in line of succession because it’s actually very unlikely he’ll be king. And Meghan will have all the support she needs. Harry saying that she is capable of doing anything in the interview was so heartwarming and you can tell he’s no lt just saying it, but rather believes in it wholeheartedly. It’s amazing to have someone that has that much faith in you.

Think of maxima of the Netherlands, mary of Denmark, they both gave up their citizenship and they were crown princesses, future monarchs, not like Megan. They had to learn a new language too. In the bra, both the duchesse of Gloucester and princess Michael of Kent are danish abs Austrian respectively and gave up their citizenship and spoke new languages

Máxima still has the Argentinian nationality. The Argentinian law does not allow her to give up her citizenship; so she has both Dutch and Argentinian nationality. Had she been able to give it up, she would have.

HRH The Duchess of Cambridge said she was "thrilled" at the news of Harry and Meghan's engagement!

I’ve moved and deleted a number of off-topic posts. This thread isn’t about politics, wedding guests, or Kate. As has been mentioned in an earlier mod note, if you wish to discuss specifics about the wedding (such as the venue and who will get an invite), please take it to the Wedding Suggestions thread. Also, let’s please not get into a Kate vs Meghan thing. It’s not a competition and trying to make it into one is quite unfair to both women.

Last edited:
I didn't know the archbishop issued a statement. I'm so glad they'll get to have a "normal" wedding.

I'm really sad that this will be the last grand royal wedding in Europe for at least 20 years though!

Europe has many more royal families... For example, the Duchess of Brabant turned 16 last month. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she gets married in her 20s (just like her mother did); and some of the other teenager prince(sse)s (including heirs or their brothers or sisters) might get married before 2038 as well. I for example expect weddings in both the Luxembourgish and Liechtenstein families within the next 20 years - you might not consider them 'grand' - but still. So, I don't think you have to wait another 20 years for a 'grand royal wedding' (Harry's probably will be quite small by comparison as I don't expect that many foreign royals as he doesn't really know them).

How nice !

Do I detect a hint of irony in the Duchess of Cornwall's remarks ? Add to that the very protocol comments by the Duchess of Cambridge and it makes me think that the other ladies in the family may be not so enthusiastic about Harry's choice after all.

BTW, see below the Cambridge English dictionary definitiion of "gush". i.e. the verb used in the DM's headline:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom