Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one has mentioned Harry's little witticism about the ring.....he said something about he wanted the ring to stay on her finger. She laughed and said yes, but what was that? An unexpected moment opening into something. Possible that Harry had to do some serious convincing? But more, he intends for this to work. He's serious. Good on him! :flowers:

Also, did anyone else hear an echo of Diana in the interview when Harry said 'Of course' with the same inflection, lyric lift, as Diana's cadence in her engagement interview? Though the 'of course' in either case was in regards very different things.

Several have mentioned timing, that Meghan's sense of time seemed 'off'. In fact, I am with her on that. Can anyone conceive of the life-changing activity she's been undergoing the last years? Its likely a blur, but also, she may judge time by the filming schedule of Suits - 6th season, 7the season - that's 'two years'. Started dating while starting the filming of 6th season, continued dating into the filming of 7th season - two years. I could see her doing that.

I also heard them both say they met in May. They mentioned a meet-up the next day, and then the back-to-back meet-up in London in July. There likely was texting and calling during that time through June, coinciding with her comments at the time that she was being wooed aggressively by someone(s) at the time. It does wind up being 6 months from May to November when the announcement was made.
I think Harry’s comment about the ring staying on her finger is more similar to William joking about Kate being in big trouble if she lost the sapphair ring since it was Diana’s and how he was afraid he would lost it and be in big trouble before proposing. Considering the fact the Meghan didn’t even let him finish before she said yes, I don’t think it was that he had to convince her too hard. Especially with her talking about how she felt like she’s checked her acting career box off with 100 episodes of Suits and seems to be very excited to start a new chapter.

I think you might be right about Suits filming schedule and her confusing herself. I thought it was just terrible math skills, but it could be a combination of both. She has done almost two seasons of suits since meeting Harry. But Suits doesn’t film from late November to late March, but it feels that most of the time (year) she was filming, she had been in this long distant relationship.

Didn't anybody find it strange that during the interview they kept referring to "Nott Cott" as "our cottage"? I mean, she has barely moved in (something that I would not advertise)... It looks like she's feeling at home already!

They've been in a pretty intense relationship for the duration of the courtship. This is what they stated in the interview. They did not indicate a time line but they both indicated that she has been living at the cottage for a good portion of the courtship, flying back and forth from Toronto every 2 weeks or so (with Harry flying to Toronto, too, we know).

I think we can safely say that they have been cohabiting since at least last May/June (Vanity Fair article interview) and far longer back than that. :flowers: Plenty of time in which to segue into 'ours'. ;)

Recall that they said that they had been traveling lots of places together, too. I think they used this interview to establish that they have been with each other to a far greater extent than the popular press has known about and as a result know each other, and their families, far better than the popular press has reported. JMO.

I didn't know the archbishop issued a statement. I'm so glad they'll get to have a "normal" wedding.

I'm really sad that this will be the last grand royal wedding in Europe for at least 20 years though!

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby

“I am absolutely delighted to hear the news that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are now engaged. I have met Prince Harry on a number of occasions and have always been struck by his commitment and passion for his charities, and his immense love for his family.”

“I am so happy that Prince Harry and Ms Markle have chosen to make their vows before God.”

The comment about the ring might be a little 'in' joke. It's a little too big for her I noticed, just as Kate's was. There might be a bit of sliding of the ring going on and it may possibly need a bit of tweaking. My engagement and wedding rings become looser and tighter in certain weather and physical conditions. Considering Meghan said 'Yes' before Harry finished proposing nothing says reluctance or having to be convinced to me!

With regard to the break in the middle of the corgi conversation, besides technical issues or someone sneezing etc, maybe Harry made a quick joke about the corgis that he asked to be cut afterwards. I really don't think that the Queen's corgis are the most favourite part of going to see the Queen for many of her relatives.

I didn't know the archbishop issued a statement. I'm so glad they'll get to have a "normal" wedding.

I'm really sad that this will be the last grand royal wedding in Europe for at least 20 years though!

He issued a statement pretty soon after the announcement was made. He definitely had a heads up on this from the Palace as he would’ve been consulted about the engagement.

I love to watch body language. What I see is a couple that are just besotted with each other and fully supportive of one another.

The body language was interesting. I saw a lot of "American patting" from Meghan. Slightly patronizing in my view. She seemed in charge: literally leading him by the end during the photo call outside. Also, she interrupted him or answered for him several times... :whistling:

Well, since Harry gave her the ring several weeks ago, my guess is it has been in a box since then. Now that it is official she can wear it-it can stay on her finger. No hidden meaning in my mind.

Ah, quite so, O-H Anglophile! :flowers: Thank you. Exactly right!

I think we can safely say that they have been cohabiting since at least last May/June (Vanity Fair article interview) and far longer back than that. :flowers: Plenty of time in which to segue into 'ours'. ;)

Recall that they said that they had been traveling lots of places together, too. I think they used this interview to establish that they have been with each other to a far greater extent than the popular press has known about and as a result know each other, and their families, far better than the popular press has reported. JMO.

Good point.

I'm just so old-fashioned :sad:

The body language was interesting. I saw a lot of "American patting" from Meghan. Slightly patronizing in my view. She seemed in charge: literally leading him by the end during the photo call outside. Also, she interrupted him or answered for him several times... :whistling:

Evidently Harry doesn't find it at all patronizing. He is very tactile, he must find it supportive/reassuring. She sat back more than once and let him tell whatever he wanted. I think a lot of the questions were directed towards her, obvious reasons, so she did more of the talking. When he wants to assert himself he does it without any hesitation.

LaRae

With regard to the break in the middle of the corgi conversation, besides technical issues or someone sneezing etc, maybe Harry made a quick joke about the corgis that he asked to be cut afterwards. I really don't think that the Queen's corgis are the most favourite part of going to see the Queen for many of her relatives.

Well, as much as I love dogs (and I LOVE dogs), I know they definitely wouldn’t be my favorite if they’ve barked at me for 33 years. :lol:

It seems like it's a running joke (or maybe not so funny) about how the Queen's Corgi's (and Dorgi's) terrorized the rest of the family including Prince Phillip!

LaRae

They are probably just REALLY cold today. It was also windy, which makes it worse. I noticed that Harry’s hands were slightly blue. And also, she rubbed her hand on his forearm a little instead of patting, which does show it might be more to do with chilliness. This is why I don’t like one off body language reading, there could be other factors.

When he proposed and gave her the ring this was in the beginning of the month right—only a select few knew of the engagement so perhaps the ring would come on/off depending on where they went and who they were with. Probably she only felt save wearing it in nott cott. Just a possibility

Or maybe she is just a naturally assertive woman, which may just be something Harry loves about her. ;) He certainly didn't seem bothered by it.

It seems like it's a running joke (or maybe not so funny) about how the Queen's Corgi's (and Dorgi's) terrorized the rest of the family including Prince Phillip!

LaRae

I didn’t know that! Learn something new everyday! I can’t believe they even terrorize Prince Phillip, they’ve got guts! :lol: But that makes them being so taken with Meghan from the beginning all the more interesting.

I saw all that and figured it would all be interpreted in a potentially negative way. What I saw I recognized in myself. :huh:. When I am confident with a man, and know him well (as in intimately) I am very relaxed in my touching of him. (If he is not okay with that: Red Flag!) What I saw in the photo-op was significant familiarity. I think we are underestimating Harry's nervousness and her composure.

As for her interrupting, it's her enthusiasm, and yes, she is not subservient, but she is considerate. What we did not see was who the interviewer was looking at for an answer to the question being posed.

BTW one partner will always lead. For William and Catherine, it is clear that Catherine has learned her place as follower of William's lead. I doubt that marriage would be viable were Catherine not attentive to that nicety in public.

Meghan is not just American she has been her own person for a lotta years. It is unlikely she will be 'keeping her head down'. The subtle micro-critique of her every gesture will be defeating (and seriously unpleasant). Harry wooed her hard. He was in charge there, and he won. Her hesitation (that is being referred to) was at the beginning of the courtship (not at the proposal weeks ago, which was likely just really about the ring and to have their 'engagement story').

I would say they have known where they were headed (given what they shared) for a year or so. Harry certainly knew where he was headed with her. Its really a very charming story. I'm glad for them. :flowers:

I didn’t know that! Learn something new everyday! I can’t believe they even terrorize Prince Phillip, they’ve got guts! :lol:

Ahahah!?

I saw all that and figured it would all be interpreted in a potentially negative way. What I saw I recognized in myself. :huh:. When I am confident with a man, and know him well (as in intimately) I am very relaxed in my touching of him. (If he is not okay with that: Red Flag!) What I saw in the photo-op was significant familiarity. I think we are underestimating Harry's nervousness and her composure.

As for her interrupting, it's her enthusiasm, and yes, she is not subservient, but she is considerate. What we did not see was who the interviewer was looking at for an answer to the question being posed.

BTW one partner will always lead. For William and Catherine, it is clear that Catherine has learned her place as follower of William's lead. I doubt that marriage would be viable were Catherine not attentive to that nicety in public.

Meghan is not just American she has been her own person for a lotta years. It is unlikely she will be 'keeping her head down'. The subtle micro-critique of her every gesture will be defeating (and seriously unpleasant). Harry wooed her hard. He was in charge there, and he won. Her hesitation (that is being referred to) was at the beginning of the courtship (not at the proposal weeks ago, which was likely just really about the ring and to have their 'engagement story').

I would say they have known where they were headed (given what they shared) for a year or so. Harry certainly knew where he was headed with her. Its really a very charming story. I'm glad for them. :flowers:

Nicely said, Lady Nimue. Very good observations.
I think, more widely, there is also an "American vs British" body language which showed today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evidently Harry doesn't find it at all patronizing. He is very tactile, he must find it supportive/reassuring. She sat back more than once and let him tell whatever he wanted. I think a lot of the questions were directed towards her, obvious reasons, so she did more of the talking. When he wants to assert himself he does it without any hesitation. LaRae

It's the way I see it, too. :flowers: And I also think that this would be the kind of woman Harry would feel most at ease with, tactile, so like his mother. Meghan is so demonstrative, so out there, so at ease (though I'm sure she has her moments of stress, and I do think she was a tad stressed; holding Harry's hand was her grounding; she is doing this for him). :flowers:

I think they both are going to be superb parents, given that tactile ease with each other.

Well, as much as I love dogs (and I LOVE dogs), I know they definitely wouldn’t be my favorite if they’ve barked at me for 33 years. :lol:

So funny! ? It's true.

Last edited:
Roya Nikkhah posted a couple of behind the scenes photo of the couple. Can’t wait until they have children, will be a seriously goofy bunch! I can only imagine the photographer’s frustration when they try to take a Christmas photo!

Congratulations to the couple! Cant wait for another royal wedding.

Roya Nikkhah posted a couple of behind the scenes photo of the couple. Can’t wait until they have children, will be a seriously goofy bunch! I can only imagine the photographer’s frustration when they try to take a Christmas photo!

Those snap shots are adorable! :flowers: (BTW I had to copy and paste your link, wonder why it didn't go live?)

Wow, come home from a 12 hour shift and turn on my computer to this :ohmy: I definitely wasn't expecting this.

Congratulations to the couple and both of their families :flowers:

I was right and wrong. I always thought they were not engaged for months (since VF article) or in Africa as people kept speculating. I did think it would take a bit longer though when she got to the UK.

Havent read even 1/3 of the posts, but have watched the video on youtube. And seen some of the photos as well. So forgive me if something has been discussed to death or mentioned.

Love the ring (other then the yellow gold but that is personal taste). I love the sentiment between the different diamonds chosen for it. I'd rather a ring designed for me, then something like Diana's.

Meghan looked great at the photo call. I even loved the white coat. I love the simple green sheath dress.

She definitely seems so ease with the cameras. None of the nerves we have seen with Kate. It speaks well to her future infront of the cameras.

I was surprised to learn they were in Botswana in the past. I actually like they went so soon after dating. Having a long distance relationship and having little ways to have privacy it makes a lot of sense. It makes the use of a Botswana diamond even more special.

Now the corgis was adorable. I thought Harry was the only one to pass the paw approval test. Meghan not just passed it but she aced it. The corgis not only liked her, but they slept on her feet. That is a whole new level of affection. Dogs only do that to not only people they like but they trust.

I am a bit worried to hear one of her dogs isn't in the UK. I am hoping he isn't too ill to make the trip. I hope its not permanent.

Great to hear she has met the extended family. I like she has met the Spencers and people like Julia as well.

I wonder if she has perhaps been to Highgove to see Charles a few times. She mentioned 'taking long country walks'. And it would be an easy way to spend time with Charles unnoticed.

I love the simple romantic proposal over chicken. Though we all picture these over the top proposals, I think it suits them.

I still think we will see a wedding in the end of May. They will have to, if she is there on a fiancé visa. But it also makes sense. It is a quiet time of the year. Its a few weeks after Kate gives birth so no worry she will be late and miss. They can take a few week honeymoon and be back for all of the big June events and she can be part of them.

I don't believe the whole she was invited to Christmas (church and family dinner). The same was rumored about Kate, but when she didn't go, they simply said she chose not to. No fiancé has ever attended the big official church walk and meal. I do think we will see her though at the Christmas lunch in London.

Last edited:
Ok, let’s the just clarify one thing since I’ve seen it multiple places. Meghan doesn’t share custody of Bogart with her ex-husband. By all accounts, he’s her dog. Always with her in Canada. There were reports that she shared custody of Guy with her ex-boyfriend. However, with the news of his arrival in U.K., I think it’s safe to assume that’s no longer the case. And that’s not surprising. Most couples that share a pet might switch back and forth for a bit after the break up, but eventually one person keeps the dog. It’s not a child custody issue after all.

I cannot wait to see Harry and Meghan and the Cambridge’s together. For so long there was just the trio. Now that’s all officially changed.

Someone just pm'd me mentioning that Victoria with Daniel at their wedding was very tactile, to the extent of brushing aside a tear on his cheek. I am reminded how tactile Diana was in public, so that a critique of Meghan's tactile habits starts to sound contradictory. :ermm: If Diana is to be valued for her ability to reach out and touch people, should not the woman Harry, her son, chooses as wife, be lauded for that very same quality? Just wondering.

I cannot wait to see Harry and Meghan and the Cambridge’s together. For so long there was just the trio. Now that’s all officially changed.

It's too early to be talking about what will eventuate, of course, they may not even know themselves (even with Harry's hinting in that direction), but I have a hunch joint appearances will not be as often as might be now envisioned. The two couples may be too different in manner to withstand the critique. Just a thought. :cool:

Last edited:
:previous:
Just a thought here, I would not like to see Harry, Meghan and William and Catherine doing events together at all. Why have 4 senior members doing the same thing at the same time......sure maybe once in a great while like a state dinner or a special event in the entertainment world, but not the everyday meet and greet with ribbon cutting ....for both couple to go their separate ways in doing things for the people you get more done with 2 couples going off in 2 different directions and even each their own event so then that is 4 events and more work done. Hope I made myself clear here, still working on this idea of separate events for each of them.:whistling:

When he proposed and gave her the ring this was in the beginning of the month right—only a select few knew of the engagement so perhaps the ring would come on/off depending on where they went and who they were with. Probably she only felt save wearing it in nott cott. Just a possibility
I smiled at Harry's comment about the ring staying on and had visions them leaving Nott Cott and him saying "have you taken your ring off?" as they rush out the door because if I were her it would be stuck on my finger every day as long as I could.

I couldn't stop laughing when the photo of all the reporters waiting for the happy couple. Yes, that's Harry, an enormous pond between them and him. Looks like he wanted to establish the "ground rules" early.

I thought Harry and Meghan were a lovely couple and I was surprised to see how much shorter she was than I'd thought. I noticed that they not only held hands but that their fingers were intertwined and loved that they didn't do the usual engagement interview where they arrive with the woman's left hand through the man's right just so the ring is in your face. They had a narrative to share and it didn't begin with the ring, the end of the beginning was the ring and it could wait.

I'm a little surprised that people refer to "touching or not touching" as a cultural thing, rather than a personality thing. The earliest photos showed them as very tactile and that is what caught a lot of people's interest and indicated the relationship was serious, different from his previous relationships. When they showed up holding hands it merely confirmed that that is who they are.

But what impressed me most was their calm and natural statements of love, that they fell or tripped into love almost immediately and when they looked at each other you couldn't help but see. They shared their story and their love, both of which were surprising, endearing and very romantic.

So very happy for Harry and Meghan. I have always had a soft spot for Harry.

I just love that he chose someone that is right for him and to hell with what anyone (media/social media) else says! I just love that he proposed with no pomp or any elaborate spectacle, at their cottage (seems fitting since this will now be Meghan's home too). I just love that he designed his own ring for Meghan, it shows a truly thoughtful, caring, unique individual with whom the symbolic gesture of an engagement ring wasn't lost on. I just love that Meghan is someone that can be a role model for young ladies, someone that isn't afraid of hard work, is an individual, who represents the melting pot of the world today and is humbly confident. Meghan is a very lucky lady to have touched such a gentle soul. I will enjoy watching these two grow as husband and wife........ and make lots of beautiful babies ?

:previous:
Just a thought here, I would not like to see Harry, Meghan and William and Catherine doing events together at all. Why have 4 senior members doing the same thing at the same time......sure maybe once in a great while like a state dinner or a special event in the entertainment world, but not the everyday meet and greet with ribbon cutting ....for both couple to go their separate ways in doing things for the people you get more done with 2 couples going off in 2 different directions and even each their own event so then that is 4 events and more work done. Hope I made myself clear here, still working on this idea of separate events for each of them.:whistling:

The three have attended events together for the heads together campaign, and things like movie studio visits. It seems to have lead people to believe it will go from a threesome to a foursome.

I don't doubt we will see from time to time. They work together on the campaign still. But now that Harry will have his own wife, I think we will see even more division. They will keep their combined offices, but there will be some more separation in events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom