Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the wedding ring is the traditional welsh gold which is 24 carat and v soft, then goldband on the engagement ring makes sense. Platinum would wear away the gold band

I know you are right about the welsh gold, but I still feel that platinum looks better with diamonds.

Also Meghan mentioned someone named Julia. Who is she?

She is Julia Samuel, a friend of Diana’s and godmother to Prince George. She also helped found Child Bereavement UK, one of William’s patronages.

Think of maxima of the Netherlands, mary of Denmark, they both gave up their citizenship and they were crown princesses, future monarchs, not like Megan. They had to learn a new language too. In the bra, both the duchesse of Gloucester and princess Michael of Kent are danish abs Austrian respectively and gave up their citizenship and spoke new languages

Also Meghan mentioned someone named Julia. Who is she?

I think she means Julia Samuel, a friend of Diana and godmother to Prince George. While I am happy for the couple, I'm upset because I had aspirations to be the first black member of the Royal Family.:lol:

I believe that the constitutional prohibition on noble titles is that the U.S. government can't grant titles and office holders can't accept a title, unless Congress approves.

It’s not the US constitution that I was referring to. I was referring to the British laws that govern the Royal family and those that hold citizenship of other countries that marry into that family. Phillip had to give up his greek citizenship to marry then Princess Elizabeth, so unless that has changed, Meghan may have to do the same.

Have you ever watched the Swedish royal weddings? There is way more for us royal watcher's to enjoy (especially when Victoria and Daniel got married) than the British ones that are limited to the service, a carriage ride and a balcony scene (if at the Abbey). After that it is all off-limits (which I fully understand but that's why the Victoria & Daniel trumps it for me).

Honey, I watched them all ? I saw Princess Margaret's wedding as a child. She was the closest thing to Cinderella for me. Queen Elizabeth got married before I was born so I missed that one:ROFLMAO: I watched Diana and Charles, Charles and Camilla, William and Catherine, Victoria and Daniel, Madeleine and Christopher, her brother Carl and Sophia. I missed Letizia and Felipe, as well as both of Felipe's sister's weddings. Many others weren't broadcasted but I go to Getty Images to see those weddings. I guess you can tell I love weddings, right? :lol:

I think she means Julia Samuel, a friend of Diana and godmother to Prince George. While I am happy for the couple, I'm upset because I had aspirations to be the first black member of the Royal Family.:lol:

Me too! I was saving myself for Harry but Meghan won out! ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not the US constitution that I was referring to. I was referring to the British laws that govern the Royal family and those that hold citizenship of other countries that marry into that family. Phillip had to give up his greek citizenship to marry then Princess Elizabeth, so unless that has changed, Meghan may have to do the same.

Very interesting. We'll have to see how that plays out...

The DoE was pressured into giving up his succession/titles because he was marrying the heiress presumptive in a xenophobic time.

There weren’t actual laws that prevented a British Royal from marrying a foreigner (and a good many did so long before the DoE entered the scene), it was just the attitude of the time.

Meghan’s future citizenship is going to have to do with the same optics (once again, it is a xenophobic time for Britain) as well as the logistics of remaining (or not remaining) a US citizen (more to do with money and taces than to do with her titles).

Julia Samuel, a friend of Diana's, who is also one of Prince George's godparents.

I've never heard of her. Thank you for that bit of education.

A lot of hearts got broken today, including my daughter's.

I can imagine. Think about all of his former girlfriends. Oh, to be a fly on the wall. :lol: But I hope they're big enough to wish Harry and Meghan much happiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Meghan impressed a lot of people with that interview today. She showed folks that she was ready to take on this role - she's a great public speaker and she just lit up the screen. You could really see why Harry loves her so much.

And - gah - the way he was looking at her as she spoke. And then how she looked at him when he spoke?

It reminded me SO much of the way Michelle and Barack look at each other when one of them is speaking in an interview.

*my heart*

Didn't anybody find it strange that during the interview they kept referring to "Nott Cott" as "our cottage"? I mean, she has barely moved in (something that I would not advertise)... It looks like she's feeling at home already!

Didn't anybody find it strange that during the interview they kept referring to "Nott Cott" as "our cottage"? I mean, she has barely moved in (something that I would not advertise)... It looks like she's feeling at home already!

I mean- when you move into a new apartment or house, you start calling it your apartment/home right away, no?

I think Meghan impressed a lot of people with that interview today. She showed folks that she was ready to take on this role - she's a great public speaker and she just lit up the screen.

Well, she's an actress! :flowers: Clearly, you could tell that she was at ease being interviewed.

She is a very articulate and graceful woman, and that showed today.

I mean- when you move into a new apartment or house, you start calling it your apartment/home right away, no?

Yes, I suppose so, but I would be more respectful and careful given that we're talking about a property in Kensington Palace and, normally, I don't think the Royal Family is particularly thrilled to advertise that a couple is living together before their marriage. I think if Kate Middleton had referred to Nottingham Cottage as "our place" in her engagement interview she would have been given a lot of heat! ?

Yes, I suppose so, but I would be more respectful and careful given that we're talking about a property in Kensington Palace and, normally, I don't think the Royal Family is particularly thrilled to advertise that a couple is living together before their marriage. I think if Kate Middleton had referred to Nottingham Cottage as "our place" in her engagement interview she would have been given a lot of heat! ?

Why? The official announcement indicated they would be living there together and that was clearly signed off on by their official PR team.

It was also known that William and Kate lived together before getting married and so did Sophie and Edward.

Apparently she's been living there off and on over the past year and several months. I don't think "just moved in" is an accurate description.

OK, one more thing I noticed from the interview, and then I’m really done geeking out over this today, I promise! :lol:

It was interesting to hear that Prince Harry said a couple of months into the relationship, he knew he was in love with her but had to sit down with her and have a frank conversation about some things. I think when we got the November statement last year, I was slightly shocked not only because it was unprecedented, but I thought it was really soon for something so precedented. I brushed it off at that time as they felt like they had little choice due to the coverage, and had to take on the sexism and racism head on. However, now looking back, I think Harry already knew this could be it, and thus confirming her as his girlfriend was less of an issue for him. And I know a few still think this engagement is rushed. However, if you consider the fact that he was already thinking about her being the one in 2016, this really isn’t that rushed.

Nope simply due to how long they have known this day was coming. It has been hers also for some time. We just didn't know it yet.

LaRae

No one has mentioned Harry's little witticism about the ring.....he said something about he wanted the ring to stay on her finger. She laughed and said yes, but what was that? An unexpected moment opening into something? Possible that Harry had to do some serious convincing? But more, he intends for this to work. He's serious. Good on him! :flowers:

Also, did anyone else hear an echo of Diana in the interview when Harry said 'Of course' with the same inflection, lyric lift, as Diana's cadence in her engagement interview? Though the 'of course' in either case was in regards very different things.

Several have mentioned timing, that Meghan's sense of time seemed 'off'. In fact, I am with her on that. Can anyone conceive of the life-changing activity she's been undergoing the last years? Its likely a blur, but also, she may judge time by the filming schedule of Suits - 6th season, 7the season - that's 'two years'. Started dating while starting the filming of 6th season, continued dating into the filming of 7th season - two years. I could see her doing that.

I also heard them both say they met in May. They mentioned a meet-up the next day, and then the back-to-back meet-up in London in July. There likely was texting and calling during that time through June, coinciding with her comments in an interview at the time that she was being wooed aggressively by someone(s). It does wind up being 6 months from May to November when the announcement was made.

Last edited:
I'm so happy for Harry and Meghan! I think they're going to be very happy together and will be wonderful partners not just in life but in work as well.

Congratulations to them both!!

OK, one more thing I noticed from the interview, and then I’m really done geeking out over this today, I promise! :lol:

It was interesting to hear that Prince Harry said a couple of months into the relationship, he knew he was in love with her but had to sit down with her and have a frank conversation about some things. I think when we got the November statement last year, I was slightly shocked not only because it was unprecedented, but I thought it was really soon for something so precedented. I brushed it off at that time as they felt like they had little choice due to the coverage, and had to take on the sexism and racism head on. However, now looking back, I think Harry already knew this could be it, and thus confirming her as his girlfriend was less of an issue for him. And I know a few still think this engagement is rushed. However, if you consider the fact that he was already thinking about her being the one in 2016, this really isn’t that rushed.

I'm probably not your demographic since I don't think it is rushed but I'll answer anyway. I think by last fall (2016) Harry and Meghan knew where they were headed and were mapping out their strategy while Meghan fulfilled her Suits contract. I believe they've spent the past year planning their future together--in my mind "the proposal" was a formality to present her with her ring. They obviously discussed marriage and a life together a long time ago.

Last edited:
They will have a church wedding. The archbishop’s statement made it obvious, and aides have confirmed to reporters it will be a church wedding. The CoE has allowed divorcees to marry in church since 2002, although they leave it to the local church. The Archbishop of Canterbury will be marrying them, and from my understanding he usual draw the line at if either party contributed to the failure of the previous marriage and if the children of the previous marriage have been provided for.

I didn't know the archbishop issued a statement. I'm so glad they'll get to have a "normal" wedding.

I'm really sad that this will be the last grand royal wedding in Europe for at least 20 years though!

Excuse my ignorance, but who is the "Julia" Miss Markle referred to in connection with Princess Diana? (Maybe it was already mentioned, but I'm going through this thread just now...!)

No one has mentioned Harry's little witticism about the ring.....he said something about he wanted the ring to stay on her finger. She laughed and said yes, but what was that? An unexpected moment opening into something. Possible that Harry had to do some serious convincing? But more, he intends for this to work. He's serious. Good on him! :flowers:

Well, since Harry gave her the ring several weeks ago, my guess is it has been in a box since then. Now that it is official she can wear it-it can stay on her finger. No hidden meaning in my mind

ETA: Nevermind. I just read a later post that I guess explains why some might have a problem with her keeping her American citizenship. It still wouldn't matter a hoot to me, but my opinion isn't really important here.

Last edited:
It seems like it took him a little bit of convincing to get her to continue on with him at the start...good that he had to work for it.

Harry definately takes after his mother when it comes to the tactile and being more open. I love to watch body language. What I see is a couple that are just besotted with each other and fully supportive of one another.

I love that Harry said their relationship will come first. There's so many little things that popped out in that interview (I caught the Of Course too Lady Nimue).

I expect great things from them.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom