Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's been established, that they can and will have a church wedding.

So much wrong info has her corrected. Meghan's religion has been speculated, that has been cleared up. She's got to know W&K, who have been extremely supportive. She's met the Queen, Harry's family from both sides, one of her dogs is in the UK.

Daily Fail REALLY had no info about anything, and as an avid hater of that publication, it warms my heart. :D

Was Meghan married civilly only before? Because I'm wondering if they can have a normal church wedding!

Yes, they can as has been discussed several times. To the Anglican church it is completely irrelevant whether her first marriage was only civil or also religious; in either case: she was married and is now divorced.

However, the Church of England nowadays does marry divorced people unless the local vicar decides differently. As the Archbishop of Canterbury already declared his delight that Harry and Meghan 'have chosen to make their vows before God' (which is consistent with the same message that there wouldn't be any issue for the two of them to get married in the church as has been communicated several times) it is clear that their are not only no objection from the church but also that Harry and Meghan wish to be married in the church.

Yeah we need to savor this one....there won't be another BRF Wedding like this until George or Charlotte (or baby Cambridge) marry.

LaRae

Indeed. That will be way in future with flying cars and living on Mars. :lol:
The other royal houses will have royal weddings but nobody does royal weddings like the British and those I really enjoy. :flowers:

The

There are many reasons why Meghan may chose to give up her American citizenship. One big one is that it will help create goodwill with the British people. In doing so she will be saying “yes I’m an American by birth, but I am embracing the UK as my new home.” Which would be a big deal, given as she is going to be representing the Royal Family for the rest of her life (or at least that is her intention).

The other big one is that giving up her US citizenship will make sense financially; she’s going to be obligated to pay US taxes if she remains a US citizen, and while she isn’t going to be a person on a salary like most of us, she’s very likely not going to want to pay US taxes while living and working in the UK, and there is a horrible optics thing to consider - seriously, if she keeps her US citizenship and pays US taxes how long do you think it’s going to take the UK public to start complaining about how their tax payer dollars are being spent towards Meghan’s
US taxes? Doesn’t matter if it’s not true, it’s a horrible optics.

There’s also the fact that if she retains her US citizenship, her children are automatically US citizens. Again, not great optics for the UK public.

Meghan has shown herself to be a smart woman who has a decent understanding of what she’s getting into. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if she chose to give up her citizenship, if only because it will make life a bit easier for her and be optically better to the UK public. Remember, it’s not her job to keep Americans happy, it’s now her job to keep Brits happy.

Why would anyone think that Meghan would have a choice of being able to keep her US citizenship when she is marrying into the Royal family? How would that be possible?

I don’t they know Michelle and Meghan know each other. But it didn’t seem like that mutual friend was actually in London at that time. It sounded like they were put in touch with someone they both know and they just had drinks together. Although my suspicion is that it wasn’t Misha Nonoo either. She’d been too obvious for Meghan to purprosefully avoid letting the public know to protect her privacy. Although, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Sophie Trudeau depending on how the Trudeaus get on with Harry on a personal friendship level.
Unless they ever let it slip, we won't know for sure. That was probably the whole idea behind not sharing that bit of information. And it is indeed possible that the matchmaker was not in London with them at that time (but Michelle Obama seems too far-fetched). As Meghan said not to read the media about their relationship, it might be that she is not as aware that we would be able to decipher whom they might be talking about. As it was a mutual friend, I doubt that Sophie fits that category for Harry - they should have known each other well enough for both of them to accept that invitation.

The other royal houses will have royal weddings but nobody does royal weddings like the British and those I really enjoy. :flowers:

Have you ever watched the Swedish royal weddings? There is way more for us royal watcher's to enjoy (especially when Victoria and Daniel got married) than the British ones that are limited to the service, a carriage ride and a balcony scene (if at the Abbey). After that it is all off-limits (which I fully understand but that's why the Victoria & Daniel trumps it for me).

Last edited by a moderator:
NOTE: Did anyone else notice that there was a considerable edit that took place in the midst of the corgi conversation? No one has mentioned it but it was there. Has me so curious.

Also, I loved the little peeks we were given into the socializing of the RF behind the scenes: several teas and 'gatherings' at Charles' place, dinners at Will and Kate's, etc.

I noticed a break, but I thought that may have been the streaming. We'll probably find out if there was an issue, unlike Harry and Meghan's close friends, someone with the production will probably blab.

I am not surprised that William and Catherine have befriended Meghan. The brothers are obviously close and it is great that they get along. It's also very nice that Harry is still close to his mother's family and friends and I hope they play a part in the wedding.

One thing that did surprise me is that even though I know Charles is busy, Harry said that Meghan had only met him a "handful" of times. But it is a safe bet that they were at Highgrove when they took long walks together.

I can see how Harry and Meghan would be more concerned about protecting the privacy of someone like Michelle Obama or Sophie Trudeau though than someone who was a "celebrity" This is intriguing.

My guess about Christmas is that Meghan and Harry will stay with William and Kate at Amner Hall- that would probably be the most comfortable place for Megan to stay since she already knows them well and then she can join at whatever she and Harry want her to join/the Queen approves of and relax otherwise.

One thing that did surprise me is that even though I know Charles is busy, Harry said that Meghan had only met him a "handful" of times. But it is a safe bet that they were at Highgrove when they took long walks together.
So far, Harry has not met her father at all... So, a handful of times is actually a lot better - although Charles is of course not only her future father-in-law but also her future boss.

Edward and Sophie need to start looking for a prospect for Lady Louise, STAT!

She most likely be the only drought-buster following the York princesses. Well...that's three minor weddings over the next 10-15 years and William/Kate/Harry/Meghan will be attending ALL of them. The glass is half full, my friends.;)

I noticed a break, but I thought that may have been the streaming. We'll probably find out if there was an issue, unlike Harry and Meghan's close friends, someone with the production will probably blab.

We can hope. ;) ?

I am not surprised that William and Catherine have befriended Meghan. The brothers are obviously close and it is great that they get along. It's also very nice that Harry is still close to his mother's family and friends and I hope they play a part in the wedding.

Same here. :flowers: Also, the nature of Kate suggests to me that Meghan will be a welcome support, too. Meghan's professionalism with the public may well 'rub off' and benefit Kate, who is tentative in that way.

Not me. 'Handful', 'several', to me is a lot of times given that not only was Charles busy but Meghan was filming a series on another continent. That Meghan mentioned 'gatherings' at Charles' place really intrigued me.

A very, very, very good interview. :flowers: Love has made the man! I am impressed. I do think this marriage will stay the course (contrary to my previous concerns). I can see it. They have done their homework and I trust Meghan's judgement.

I am very happy for them both. They are going to be a seriously fun couple to watch.

A moment of real insight into their intimate dynamic. :flowers:

Welcome to the light! Glad you are joining us wishing Harry and Meghan well and that the concerns you held previously were allayed by the engagement interview.:flowers:

I saw the live version - right now I cannot detect any difference between that and the edited version - though I noticed the cut too. I think it's probably just for time.

I'm with you on the platinum with the diamonds. I'm not a lover of gold jewelry but the ring is very pretty and it means a lot to have the diamonds that belonged to his mom. A lot of love and thought went into that ring and Meghan knows it. She's one very lucky woman. :flowers:

If the wedding ring is the traditional welsh gold which is 24 carat and v soft, then goldband on the engagement ring makes sense. Platinum would wear away the gold band

Welcome to the light! Glad you are joining us wishing Harry and Meghan well and that the concerns you held previously were allayed by the engagement interview.:flowers:

Well, in defense of myself ;) my point was always about the long-term day-in-day-out life, which they have clearly done. :D In spades. So. Box ticked. They have my permission to marry.

We have to keep in mind that not only is Charles busy, but Meghan had a full schedule as well. They would have to have time when Meghan is in town and Charles has open time in his schedule. Plus, it seems that Harry didn’t tell anyone, including people in his family, about Meghan until the news broke of their relationship.

One thing, that struck out to me, is that throughout this interview, Harry seems to have been very clear with Meghan, and his family, about how serious he was about Meghan from early on. The statement, that he knew from the moment he met her, that she was the one, seems to ring true, not just a cute throwaway line. He knew she was one in a million from the start. And it doesn't come across as OTT or cheesy.

I am pretty sure that is more wishful thinking than anything else. Michelle Obama wasn't in London at the beginning of July while Meghan did visit London (and Spain) with two friends :whistling:

Maybe that will be revealed during the time around the wedding as I'm sure whoever that was will definitely be invited. I look forward to do that. Whoever she was she hit it right on the money with Harry and Meghan. :flowers:

I appreciate Somebody, Lady Nimue's and Jacqui24 comments, they make good points about Meghan and Charles. I missed the part about Charles holding "gatherings." I'm very interested to see how the family dynamics play out, not just with Charles, but with the Windsor cousins. Harry's been very close to the Yorks and everyone seems close to Zara. I'm looking forward to the wedding.

Last edited:
We have to keep in mind that not only is Charles busy, but Meghan had a full schedule as well. They would have to have time when Meghan is in town and Charles has open time in his schedule. Plus, it seems that Harry didn’t tell anyone, including people in his family, about Meghan until the news broke of their relationship.

The exact quote was "I mean I've - you know I'd been seeing her for a period of time when I - literally didn't tell anybody at all. And then William was longing to meet her and so was Catherine."

So maybe it was when the news broke a year ago but I think it possibly could have been sooner that she met William and Kate.

One thing, that struck out to me, is that throughout this interview, Harry seems to have been very clear with Meghan, and his family, about how serious he was about Meghan from early on. The statement, that he knew from the moment he met her, that she was the one, seems to ring true, not just a cute throwaway line. He knew she was one in a million from the start. And it doesn't come across as OTT or cheesy.

Agree 100%. :flowers: He has been very clear. It seems that they both experienced a 'fated moment'.

How rare and special is that! ❤️

If the wedding ring is the traditional welsh gold which is 24 carat and v soft, then goldband on the engagement ring makes sense. Platinum would wear away the gold band

Yes, I am well aquainted with the traditional welsh gold through my undying love for British royal weddings :lol: When I first heard her ring was gold, I figured it had to be made from that.

Last edited:
Why would anyone think that Meghan would have a choice of being able to keep her US citizenship when she is marrying into the Royal family? How would that be possible?

I believe that the constitutional prohibition on noble titles is that the U.S. government can't grant titles and office holders can't accept a title, unless Congress approves.

I appreciate Somebody, Lady Nimue's and Jacqui24, make good points about Meghan and Charles. I missed the part about Charles holding "gatherings." I'm very interested to see how the family dynamics play out, not just with Charles, but with the Windsor cousins. Harry's been very close to the Yorks and everyone seems close to Zara. I'm looking forward to the wedding.

Zara is such a delight! :flowers: I would guess Meghan and she will hit it off. I see Zara as the more 'American-like' of the royals, and her daughter Mia is so cute (off-topic ;) ). I think we can assume that Zara and Mike have met Meghan given Mike's earlier comments.

I appreciate Somebody, Lady Nimue's and Jacqui24, make good points about Meghan and Charles. I missed the part about Charles holding "gatherings." I'm very interested to see how the family dynamics play out, not just with Charles, but with the Windsor cousins. Harry's been very close to the Yorks and everyone seems close to Zara. I'm looking forward to the wedding.

It seems the members of family see each other on a more regular basis than we know. They seem to have gotten the hang of staying under the radar of the paparazzi and tabloid reporters for the most part.

Two more things from their interview:

1. What books did they talk about on the first date?!?!
2. I love that the commonwealth got a shout out from Meghan today. It’s her first interview as a future member of the royal family.

Agree 100%. :flowers: He has been very clear. It seems that they both experienced a 'fated moment'.

I just watched the interview. I am blown away by the both of them. There is nothing cheesy or over the top about it. I am so excited about them and for them. They are open and honest about themselves and with each other. That's a real love match.

It seems the members of family see each other on a more regular basis than we know. They seem to have gotten the hang of staying under the radar of the paparazzi and tabloid reporters for the most part.
I agree, although I think the Queen, Charles and Anne are pretty busy. Charles, in particular, travels a lot. But I think it is obvious that the younger generation of royals get along very well and see a lot of each other. I seem to recall that Harry was at Pippa's wedding, which proved that he knows her well because he spends a lot of time with William and Catherine. It was very nice to have it confirmed that Harry also stays in touch with Diana's family. I believe that Meghan will have a lot of support.

I just have to say, that it's also great, that they won you over.

They really hit the ball out of the park with this interview, I cant wait to see more of them.

Two more things from their interview:

1. What books did they talk about on the first date?!?!
2. I love that the commonwealth got a shout out from Meghan today. It’s her first interview as a future member of the royal family.

Also Meghan mentioned someone named Julia. Who is she?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom