Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A year and half (two when the wedding will happen) is hardly rushed, quite the norm isn’t it?
My sister met her husband and they became engaged within 6 months, married within a year (maybe an extra couple of months) of meeting. (Big sis was about the same ago as Harry when she met her husband).

So yea, two years is not a long time.

I bet they won't marry in march, during lent. So maybe a rush wedding in early february? If not, may or early june. But we'll see.

I'm leaning towards late May/early June. February isn't Spring.

We can all expect Meghan's disillusion about her new life within the Royal Family once all the fairy tale part is over.

I've finally had a chance to watch the whole interview. I was really struck by how substantial and mature that conversation was compared to most other royal engagement interviews I've watched in the past. I don't say that to knock any other couple--I chalk it up to a difference in age and experience. It really drove home for me that these two started their relationship farther into responsible adulthood than what we usually see; they've thought through practical things in a way you often just don't when you're younger. Well, and they surely had to answer the question "is this really worth it" quite early on, too, since just finding a way to date while living on separate continents seems to have been a big commitment of time, energy and creative scheduling.

Of course, it also helps that both have given plenty of interviews in the past. I think often in these engagement interviews, the one marrying into the royal family has never talked directly to a reporter before and is too nervous to really think of substantial answers in the moment. Meghan didn't have that problem.

We can all expect Meghan's disillusion about her new life within the Royal Family once all the fairy tale part is over.

Sorry, but when has it been a fairy tale for these two?

So far it seems to have been obnoxious treatment from the press, squeezing an awful lot of 7-hour flights (evidently, far more than we realized) into a tight schedule, and quiet time at home.

Of course, it also helps that both have given plenty of interviews in the past. I think often in these engagement interviews, the one marrying into the royal family has never talked directly to a reporter before and is too nervous to really think of substantial answers in the moment. Meghan didn't have that problem.

Yes, you can tell by comparing her with Kate's, who was much more demure (she still his, everything about her screams Establishment).

I've finally had a chance to watch the whole interview. I was really struck by how substantial and mature that conversation was compared to most other royal engagement interviews I've watched in the past. I don't say that to knock any other couple--I chalk it up to a difference in age and experience. It really drove home for me that these two started their relationship farther into responsible adulthood than what we usually see; they've thought through practical things in a way you often just don't when you're younger. Well, and they surely had to answer the question "is this really worth it" quite early on, too, since just finding a way to date while living on separate continents seems to have been a big commitment of time, energy and creative scheduling.

Yes Meghan demonstrated a clear command of how to interview in a sociable, natural and affable way. She's very engaging and lights up the screen - you can see why she's an actress. It's a form of expression.

She's going to be an amazing addition to the BRF.

I also agree that she and Harry had to answer some pretty critical questions up front, which required them to be far more mature in their courtship than others. I think that has served them extremely well - and even being forced to spend so much time alone to avoid the press also allowed them to really get to know each other away from any kind of public scrutiny.

I think Harry knew the moment he met her (he said as much) and realized he had something extremely special - so he proceeded with incredible and careful purpose. That's important - he courted her and really focused on getting to know her and how she handled all of this plus how she was. And it also forced them to have some frank discussions about what they were both in for should they continue.

Sometimes long distance relationships force a far more intimate connection - you have far deeper conversations, etc.. because you kinda have to.

I have a good feeling that they will have a long and happy marriage.

Yes, you can tell by comparing her with Kate's, who was much more demure (she still his, everything about her screams Establishment).

Poor Kate. She did great, but she seemed as terrified of the interview as she was happy to be marrying William. I think that aspect of royal life has been a very difficult adjustment for her, but she's really grown a lot. Meghan, on the other hand, seemed far more comfortable with the interview than Harry, and seemed quite comforting to him, as well.

You really can't compare Kate ..they are very different types of women in some ways. Very different men in the equation as well.

LaRae

FashionMaven I think that is up to the Queen. I'm trying to remember if Kate joined them or not after she and William announced (in Nov). For some reason I don't think she did. Hmmm

LaRae

As far as I remember it, Kate wanted to spend one last Christmas with her family, knowing that every Christmas after the wedding would be spent with the RF. I think I even remember that William volunteered to work (when he was a rescue helicopter pilot in Wales) so that his colleagues with families could spend Xmas at home.

Lainey is reporting that her source says Meghan will spend Christmas at Sandringham.

Actually I think it's more that Kate is an introvert and Meghan is an extrovert who is far more experienced with public speaking and interviews.

Kate was demure because it was her first interview ever - most people had never heard her speak before - even though she'd been around for years. No public speaking outside of in some of her classes.

Meghan has been speaking publicly from a young age... as have many of us - I have been giving public speeches since I was 6 years old. It's how some of us are raised - to be able to carry ourselves in a public setting - especially for good causes.

If you compare Princess Margaret's public speaking to Meghan's, I see far more commonalities there. And even if you compare Meghan's to HMQ. All three were far more comfortable giving public addresses.

You really can't compare Kate ..they are very different types of women in some ways. Very different men in the equation as well.

LaRae

William and Kate were under much more pressure due to their position regarding the future of the monarchy.

There's no real prospect of Harry ever becoming King, so they have much more freedom. The public will tolerate certain actions and choices from them that would otherwise be unacceptable from W & K.

No, Meghan won't have to give up her US citizenship if she becomes naturalised as British. Neither the US nor the UK require new citizens give up their prior citizenship.

That is technically true, as I argued before in these forums. However, some British posters here have argued that not giving up her US citizenship would trigger a negative reaction in the UK as it would signal Meghan is not 100 % committed to her new country. Besides, there are the tax issues you have mentioned. What do you think ?

Its ridiculous to even think about comparing Meghan to anyone else in the royal family. Contrary to what you seem to think, there is no "princess" mold or strings attached to any of these people that dictates their "performance".

Also, I definitely would not even think of classifying a proposal in the kitchen while preparing a roast chicken as a "fairy tale" and there most certainly weren't magic wands and cute little mice dancing around throughout their entire courtship. No ball gowns and tiaras and scrumptious carriages but down to earth staying at home, camping under the stars and boyfriend shirts.

Meghan has a good head on her shoulders, is very nicely educated, comfortable in the public limelight and the most fantastic and dramatic thing she's ever really worn was Harry on her arm. The royal family doesn't have a problem with Meghan and even the corgis have given their paws of approval for this match. Nothing ominous pointing otherwise anywhere. :D

Last edited:
That is technically true, as I argued before in these forums. However, some British posters here have argued that not giving up her US citizenship would trigger a negative reaction in the UK as it would signal Meghan is not 100 % committed to her new country. Besides, there are the tax issues you have mentioned. What do you think ?

I think she will give up her citizenship. Can you imagine the furor if she has to pay US taxes out of money earned in the UK? *shudders*

I'm sure Anne would be delighted. Why wouldn't she be? She's very fond of Harry and she's probably met Meghan before.

Poor Kate. She did great, but she seemed as terrified of the interview as she was happy to be marrying William. I think that aspect of royal life has been a very difficult adjustment for her, but she's really grown a lot. Meghan, on the other hand, seemed far more comfortable with the interview than Harry, and seemed quite comforting to him, as well.

Kate is a terrible public speaker, as was Diana BTW. Meghan on the other hand is a TV actress, a social media personality and a social activist. It is hardly surprising then that she should be better at public speaking and should feel comfortable speaking to a TV camera.

Kate, however, will probably be queen one day, whereas Meghan probably will not. The Royal Family has an inherent hierarchy associated with the principle of primogeniture, which is one of the basic tenets of the European monarchies. As another poster pointed out before, Meghan will have to carve out a role for herself in the family where she is not too detached to look like a freeloader , but at the same time is discreet enough not to eclipse or seem like she is competing with Kate.

This conversation seemed so natural and light, you could feel the love between two very special people. I was touched be the down to earth realness of their happiness. What they have together is rare. And I don’t mean just the love. Look out world..good things personified are coming.

Harry is not the heir therefore, there is no reason for her to do that. Quit trying to turn this girl into a Brit. She is an American born and raised!

Harry is not the heir therefore, there is no reason for her to do that. Quit trying to turn this girl into a Brit. She is an American born and raised!

No one is denying she's born and raised. However, she will be representing the monarch from now on regardless if her future husband becomes king. She will be a Brit.

LaRae

And yet in other ways somewhat alike--they both seem like nurturing women. Both Meghan and Kate seem to form firm friendships with people who don't talk. They are both close with their parents.
And they are both brunette!:lol:

No one is denying she's born and raised. However, she will be representing the monarch from now on regardless if her future husband becomes king. She will be a Brit.

This issue will come out if it's an issue. I am not debating this because I know I'm right.

And yet in other ways somewhat alike--they both seem like nurturing women. Both Meghan and Kate seem to form firm friendships with people who don't talk. They are both close with their parents.
And they are both brunette!:lol:

Yes they have similarities too. ETA: And I said for a long long time before he met Meghan he needed to find someone like Kate (in the way she supports William etc).

LaRae

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom