The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think it is really "us versus them" as they luckily had the ability to develop their relationship initially out of the spotlight. It was months before anyone knew and by then it was clearly very, very serious. I do think in many ways becoming public made things less stressful overall because I am sure the sneaking around was not easy. They know the press is the press and if it is too much they will react as they tend to do.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I don't think it is really "us versus them" as they luckily had the ability to develop their relationship initially out of the spotlight. It was months before anyone knew and by then it was clearly very, very serious. I do think in many ways becoming public made things less stressful overall because I am sure the sneaking around was not easy. They know the press is the press and if it is too much they will react as they tend to do.
I don't see us versus them either. Yesterday they seemed very happy yet also calm given the bad press they have been getting. Harry in the past would wear his anger at the press on his sleeve. I saw nothing that indicated they where affected by the press in a negative way.

I think they get alot of comfort from each other and Harry seems happy he has a partner in all of this.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Nobility

It's funny to notice this old (closed) thread in this forum "Do you think Harry or Wills will ever date outside their race?" http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...race-9089.html

I think the reality is that Harry really did not reach far beyond his comfort zone by dating and falling in love with Meghan. She's biracial, but so what? She's part of his socio-economic sphere, mutual friends, transcontinental lifestyle, going to the far reaches of the planet to do charity outreach.... There are plenty of wealthy biracial people and Meghan is one of them and so I don't see her marriage into the royal family as really 'that' big of a deal. I like her, a lot actually... I'm just saying, it's not so extraordinary as the hype would suggest.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatianacressida View Post
It's funny to notice this old (closed) thread in this forum "Do you think Harry or Wills will ever date outside their race?" http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...race-9089.html

I think the reality is that Harry really did not reach far beyond his comfort zone by dating and falling in love with Meghan. She's biracial, but so what? She's part of his socio-economic sphere, mutual friends, transcontinental lifestyle, going to the far reaches of the planet to do charity outreach.... There are plenty of wealthy biracial people and Meghan is one of them and so I don't see her marriage into the royal family as really 'that' big of a deal. I like her, a lot actually... I'm just saying, it's not so extraordinary as the hype would suggest.
It's significant in different ways, but I think anyone who is expecting this to change race relations in the short term will be disappointed. However, she is very different from previous royal brides. She's a woman who has had her own media profile before this relationship and has been very outspoken on important issues on record. That's not something we've seen of any of the previous royal brides. Royal grooms, sure, but not royal brides. So, she might have had things in her lifestyle that was in common with Harry, she didn't have as much in common with other women that have married into the family, and certainly not his previous girlfriends.

As for the race part, there are people that now feel they can relate to someone in the royal family whereas they didn't before. Her presence is also inciting some conversations on this issues. For example, this Jo Marney mess.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One of Harry's biggest problems in finding a life partner, from what he's said, is finding someone willing to take him on public life and all. How Meghan and Harry are so similar is that, in a way, Harry has found the female version of himself. Public life, check. Dedicated to making the world a better place, check. Outgoing and personable with other people, check. Wants a home and family, check. There's probably more I'm not thinking of right now.

The most important thing this relationship has shown the world is that two people found themselves totally compatible to be life partners by who they are and not because of what they look like, where they come from or what their status is in the world.

Meghan could have had any kind of a physical appearance but our Harry wasn't looking at that and its not what he fell in love with. Although beauty is skin deep, Meghan is one of those people that is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.

Tom and Doria aced it in the parenting stakes IMO.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Meghan could have had any kind of a physical appearance but our Harry wasn't looking at that and its not what he fell in love with. Although beauty is skin deep, Meghan is one of those people that is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.
Hmmm..... Men fall in love in a different way from women. They do. From the story both tell, it is clear Harry fell at first sight, with emphasis on sight, and then the energy came into play (both being charismatic individuals in their own rights) and then the intellectual and emotional shared views. This could have all unfolded in one meeting, but (for me) it is clear that Meghan being physically 'beautiful' (and well tended) was key. It's what keeps him in the game, as well as the daring ('craziness' is his word) of the pairing.

We have to keep in mind that the 'balance of power' between the two is vastly on Harry's side (at this juncture). Meghan is giving up (quite literally) her entire life as she has constructed it and known it. She is a Leo and that needs to be respected (not denigrated), else she will go crazy. She's not a Pisces.

To balance out the inequality I have a hunch the Sussex household (or the Clarence household), will be very American, and Meghan will make her (and Harry's) house and home her place of refuge and comfort from the subtle alien nature (for her) of a different culture and powerful in-law family. I really hope they have children soon because that will be key for Meghan's groundedness in her new life. It will also help with the inevitable energy shift familiarity breeds in any marriage.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Hmmm..... Men fall in love in a different way from women. They do. From the story both tell, it is clear Harry fell at first sight, with emphasis on sight, and then the energy came into play (both being charismatic individuals in their own rights) and then the intellectual and emotional shared views. This could have all unfolded in one meeting, but (for me) it is clear that Meghan being physically 'beautiful' (and well tended) was key. It's what keeps him in the game, as well as the daring ('craziness' is his word) of the pairing.
I wouldn’t say that was key to the relationship. Obviously, he found her attractive physically, but that type of thing is quite fleeting. There are a lot of beautiful people in this world. These two clearly share a lot of same beliefs and passion about this world. Meghan has said that’s what got date two in the books.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I wouldn’t say that was key to the relationship. Obviously, he found her attractive physically, but that type of thing is quite fleeting. There are a lot of beautiful people in this world. These two clearly share a lot of same beliefs and passion about this world. Meghan has said that’s what got date two in the books.
Correct, from Meghan's perspective. Also, recall she had to be assured that Harry was kind, a nice man. Per usual, the woman is looking for something a bit more than just a pleasing exterior. I know these views may appear stereotypical, but I am saying them based on my experience (and I accept that others may see the scenario differently). Keep in mind that what someone finds 'beautiful' and attractive is very much individual. The beloved is beautiful in the eyes of the lover, regardless of what someone else may think. Harry was drawn to what he found compelling physically, Meghan to who Harry demonstrated he was as a man. JMO.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
To balance out the inequality I have a hunch the Sussex household (or the Clarence household), will be very American, and Meghan will make her (and Harry's) house and home her place of refuge and comfort from the subtle alien nature (for her) of a different culture and powerful in-law family. I really hope they have children soon because that will be key for Meghan's groundedness in her new life. It will also help with the inevitable energy shift familiarity breeds in any marriage.
I think in their private space they will do a lot to make her feel at home. I suspect they have compromised plenty in their relationship. Granted she has given up the most but I do think Harry has made sure that she never felt like he wasn't considerate of her sacrifices. I bet their home is heavily designed by her.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think in their private space they will do a lot to make her feel at home. I suspect they have compromised plenty in their relationship. Granted she has given up the most but I do think Harry has made sure that she never felt like he wasn't considerate of her sacrifices. I bet their home is heavily designed by her.
Exactly. It's why I will be surprised if they don't get a country home right at the outset. Maybe they won't. We'll see. I would bet she's 'renovating' Nottingham Cottage (moving in her furniture, etc). But a country house renovated to suit Meghan's (California) sensibilities I think would be helpful to her comfort in her new life.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Correct, from Meghan's perspective. Also, recall she had to be assured that Harry was kind, a nice man. Per usual, the woman is looking for something a bit more than just a pleasing exterior. I know these views may appear stereotypical, but I am saying them based on my experience (and I accept that others may see the scenario differently). Keep in mind that what someone finds 'beautiful' and attractive is very much individual. The beloved is beautiful in the eyes of the lover, regardless of what someone else may think. Harry was drawn to what he found compelling physically, Meghan to who Harry demonstrated he was as a man. JMO.
I’m not sure why the need to paint Harry as superficial here. But Harry himself said he asked for a bit of background when their mutual friend told him about setting up him with Meghan. So I’m not sure why we take Meghan’s word, but not Harry’s. Obviously he cares about the person as well as Meghan cared about how he is as a person. And yes, beauty is in the eye of beholder, but Meghan isn’t exactly Harry’s type in terms of looks department either if we go back to his previous girlfriends. And in the past, when asked about what kind of woman he is looking for, Harry had a pretty good idea about what type of person. And it wasn’t about looks either. It just happens that Meghan is above and beyond that.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes, Harry is well aware of the sacrifices Meghan has had to make. In fact, he was asked about that in the engagement interview. He talked about having to have that serious conversation with her when he realized that he loved her and can see this going somewhere a couple months after they started dating.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I’m not sure why the need to paint Harry as superficial here. But Harry himself said he asked for a bit of background when their mutual friend told him about setting up him with Meghan. So I’m not sure why we take Meghan’s word, but not Harry’s. Obviously he cares about the person as well as Meghan cared about how he is as a person. And yes, beauty is in the eye of beholder, but Meghan isn’t exactly Harry’s type in terms of looks department either if we go back to his previous girlfriends. And in the past, when asked about what kind of woman he is looking for, Harry had a pretty good idea about what type of person. And it wasn’t about looks either. It just happens that Meghan is above and beyond that.
I'm not. I don't think being concerned with the physical aspect 'superficial'. I actually see Meghan as Harry's 'type'. She may not be blond (that's obvious) but as far as everything else goes, she pretty much fits the mold of the kind of woman Harry is attracted to. I think.

BTW in my view the physical tells reams about a person: whether they are well-groomed, clean, interested enough in being pleasing physically. No man would ever get past my filters if they were slovenly, as a dresser or in their personal up-keep. It tells me a lot about 'who' someone is. They don't have to dress in an expensive way, not at all, but I do look for the attention to presentation and good hygiene. Tells me a lot about whether they have the sensibilities I would be comfortable with in the long haul.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:32 AM
Courtier

I agree. Harry makes it pretty clear in the engagement interview that he was first wowed by her beauty. That isn't to say he's superficial, just that the initial attraction made him that much more interested in getting to know her, which in turn likely led him to realize that she was "the one" for him.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Honestly it would be a lie to say that physical attraction doesn't play a part. Its not superficial. For both men and women, it is often the starting point.

Now if it was the only thing that Harry liked about her, if he chose her for her looks, now that would be superficial. But hearing them speak in their engagement interview, it goes far deeper for both of them. It was what got him in the door for a first date, it was their shared passions which took them further. Neither were looking for arm candy.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:36 AM
Majesty

I think Harry's eyes would have glazed over at meeting another "pretty but ultimately vapid, Sloan Ranger, and you can't tell me that Meghan had "been introduced" to enough vapid metrosexuals to have a fine filter before excepting such introductions.

Basically, an American divorcee and successful actress would not be on his "preferred" list any more than a Ginger British royal wearing a blue suit (hopefully not the one with the baggy bum) with the proverbial stuffed shirt, would have been on hers.

I think a very good friend who knew both of them well thought to him or herself, "hmm those two would make a dynamite couple!" Now, how do I finesse this and manage to convince them to come as a blind date without scaring them off?" Guilt probably works on good friends . . .
Old 01-17-2018, 05:40 AM
Serene Highness

I don't think wanting a partner, who looks physically attractive to you is in any way superficial. Harry himself used the term 'beautifully surprised' to describe seeing Meghan for the first time. But the physical attraction only carries so far, and the personalities have to match too, and in Harry's and Meghan's case, they do.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:04 AM
Royal Highness

Even without opening our mouth, our very *physical* appearance is the very first thing a person see about us when being introduced to anybody........that is a given. How we dress, carry ourselves, behave in public when first being introduced to another, everything at first is all about looks, then what comes next is our attitudes, our interests, our lives, our families, our everything after that is the most important part of a relationship yet to get to that point we all of us have to be physically pleasing in some form for another person to be interested in us.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

My guess is the blind date routine had been done by both of them in the past so nothing new there. Based on what they have said they hit it off right from the start, talking for hours etc.

They are both very attractive people but meh so what. When you are in your mid-30's you've already met and probably dated a lot of very attractive people. It was the 'content' of them that won each other over.

LaRae
Old 01-17-2018, 07:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:

We have to keep in mind that the 'balance of power' between the two is vastly on Harry's side (at this juncture). Meghan is giving up (quite literally) her entire life as she has constructed it and known it. She is a Leo and that needs to be respected (not denigrated), else she will go crazy. She's not a Pisces.

I think looks are just table stakes for most men seeking a mate. The shared goals and values are what keep couples together long term.

Closed Thread