The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 05:29 PM
Majesty

I don't know why but I fear that Harry's transformation into an Athena poster model is not going to end well...

Via Tom Rawstorne

Old 12-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This thread went completely off-topic and I’ve deleted and moved an enormous amount of comments/posts.

The discussion about Meghan’s gown (designer, price tag, whether she can afford to pay for it and whether the gown was an appropriate choice) has been moved to Meghan's fashion thread. Posts focusing on Harry’s suit have been moved to the 'Fashion and Style of Royal men' thread. Posts discussing if Harry will shave for the wedding, can now be found in the Wedding musings thread.

I’ve deleted the following discussions: the cost of Kate’s gowns, comparisons between W/K & H/M, the Kardashians, what features Harry and Meghan’s children will inherit, whether royals are celebrities and if the BRF is boring and needs more glamour.

Let’s please stay on-topic and as always, respect one another’s opinions.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc9qWgCA...ensingtonroyal
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc9qZ4vg...ensingtonroyal

Don't know if these have been posted but I love these engagement photos! Expected Meghan to look great but Harry's smoulder is a nice surpise! ;D
Holy crap those look amazing! I've always found Harry to be the best looking man in the family but he pales in comparison to Meghan. Both Harry and William married up.

I want to talk about how happy and in love they seemed, not cry because the photos aren't stoic and traditional enough.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think both photos are elegant, romantic, and absolute perfection. My only quibble with all of this is I think they're rushing it. They started dating in June, they got engaged in November. I don't know if five months is enough time to know that you want to commit the rest of your life to the fishbowl that is the BRF. I mean, the Cambridges were together almost a decade before they got married. That's not saying every royal couple has to follow their lead, but less than half a year? IDK.

I wish the two of them the best, and they look totally besotted with one another, which is a beautiful thing. I just hope they're not jumping into marriage too fast.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
Old 12-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Royal Highness

They started dating in July 2016. They have been together for 15 months. The Cambridges dated for a decade as they met as teenagers. Harry and Meghan met in their 30's.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I think both photos are elegant, romantic, and absolute perfection. My only quibble with all of this is I think they're rushing it. They started dating in June, they got engaged in November. I don't know if five months is enough time to know that you want to commit the rest of your life to the fishbowl that is the BRF. I mean, the Cambridges were together almost a decade before they got married. That's not saying every royal couple has to follow their lead, but less than half a year? IDK.
You must be quite out of the royal loop, they started dating in July of LAST year.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:33 PM
Heir Apparent

They didn't start dating this June, I think everyone in the family would have a fit if that were true. I still think it's quite rushed but I leave it in the hands of God and also have to consider their ages. The window for children is closing.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

That is what is worrying me - is Harry rushing into this marriage to have children rather than to have a life-long partnership? Barely 18 months and they haven't even lived in the same country for most of that time.

I believe there are bets being taken on how long the marriage lasts with 5 years being the favourite and quite a lot of money being put down with some local bookies I know on the wedding being called off before May once they realise that they don't really know each other and the difficulties she will face when she realises that she can't say anything without having it approved and the very idea of going out spontaneously is now a thing of the past.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Did you watch the engagement interview?

They never spent longer than 2 weeks apart since the relationship began. And they said Harry made very clear to her a few months in what it would mean and the ramifications on her life.
And the time they spent together wasn't hanging out at nightclubs--there seems to have been a lot of one on one time and quiet evenings at home.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post

I wish the two of them the best, and they look totally besotted with one another, which is a beautiful thing. I just hope they're not jumping into marriage too fast.
5 months? Huh? When they get married they will have been together 2 years. That is plenty of time. They are at the age where people know what they want out of life. No need to fiddle about. I don't feel they are rushed at all.

They have basically been living together their entire relationship. I think they grew closer and faster because it was all in secret and they were alone together more than most would be in the start if a relationship. I mean for goodness sake their third day was them camping in Botswana.

They both going into this with their eyes open. I knew things were serious the moment that statement was released. He would never have if it wasn't. I knew he would marry her and shocking... he is.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

THis worrying about someone else’s relationship thing kind of cracks me up. Sure, I love the couple, and would support whatever they decide to do. But do I worry about their personal relationship not lasting? Not really. There is a few reasons for it.

First being that it’s not my marriage and I’m not in the relationship. Second is seeing how so many different relationships turn out so differently and realizing that there is not one way to work it out. For example, we all know the Cambridges were together for a long time and it serves as a bedrock for their marriage. However, how many thinks that a long marriage means stability and knowing each other long enough being a measure of success thought about how Meghan’s first marriage turned out? They started dating around the same time (2003/2004) that Cambridges met and married only a few months after Cambridges. Timing wise, the two couples paralleled almost perfectly. And we all know how differently those two relationships turned out. I think we can all agree that sometimes long relationships prior to marriage end in divorce whereas short relationships also end in lasting marriages. And I don’t know if we can call a 17 months relationship before engagement short when you are in your 30s and understand yourself and what you need better than when you are in your teens or 20s.

I initially thought it might have been necessary for them to spend a few months just living together before engagement too based on what we knew at the time. I was firmly in the engagement by March and wedding in the fall camp, and argued with fans that thought November engagement on this. Well, do I have eggs on my face about this.

However, after the engagement interview, I no longer thought that as necessary because we found out new information. We didn’t know they never went longer than two weeks without seeing each other because they are so good at evading paparazzi by staying in or get out of the city. Second, Meghan’s understanding of the substance in her new role and what it would entail was pretty clear to me in what she said. It seemed that Harry was pretty frank with her about the bad parts of the job as well. It’s also clear that they support each other in this regard, and this will help them weather the storm of public opinion. Third is the utter commitment and common goal from the couple of what they want to achieve in life and work. As we get older, we all begin to understand common goals and shared values are vital to a lasting relationship.

With all that said, no marriage is easy and no one knows what the future holds. It might last, it might not. Who cares and who can predict? Just enjoy this ride. At the end, the experience is the important part. And no worries, I doubt they’d bring down the monarchy either way. See, when you look at the grand scheme of things, it’s not so bad.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:50 AM
Courtier

Harry and Meghan have both been around the block. They probably each have insight into what they need in a relationship, and why their relationships did not work out. From what I know of the two of them, they are pretty much perfect for each other.

They seem to have so many of the same goals in common, goals they shared before they even knew each other. They are both mature enough, experienced enough to know what they want out of life, what they can tolerate, that I think they have covered the physical, emotional and career objectives with each other.

Personally, I knew my first husband for more than a year before we married, and were together about six years or so before we divorced. I met my current (last) husband and we decided to marry within two weeks. We had known each other five months before we married, and have our 10-year anniversary later this month. What you know about yourself when you're in your 20s may be quite different than what you know about yourself in your thirties.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That is what is worrying me - is Harry rushing into this marriage to have children rather than to have a life-long partnership? Barely 18 months and they haven't even lived in the same country for most of that time.

I believe there are bets being taken on how long the marriage lasts with 5 years being the favourite and quite a lot of money being put down with some local bookies I know on the wedding being called off before May once they realise that they don't really know each other and the difficulties she will face when she realises that she can't say anything without having it approved and the very idea of going out spontaneously is now a thing of the past.
18 months is not fast at that age.

If they were in their early twenties perhaps. When they are finishing school, settling into jobs and so on. In your thirties you tend to know what and who you want in life. There really is no point of 'playing house' just to make it a longer courtship. You know pretty easily if that is the person you want to be with.

I think it quite naÔve to think Meghan hasn't 'realized' that she will have to watch what she says, and her privacy will be gone. This is not some starry eyed school girl who is living out a fairy tale and blindly going in.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
5 months? Huh? When they get married they will have been together 2 years. That is plenty of time. They are at the age where people know what they want out of life. No need to fiddle about. I don't feel they are rushed at all.

They have basically been living together their entire relationship. I think they grew closer and faster because it was all in secret and they were alone together more than most would be in the start if a relationship. I mean for goodness sake their third day was them camping in Botswana.

They both going into this with their eyes open. I knew things were serious the moment that statement was released. He would never have if it wasn't. I knew he would marry her and shocking... he is.
I knew Harry was serious when KP released the statement. I knew Meghan was serious when she shut down all her social media.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:12 AM
Majesty

Spending a few days together every few weeks....IMO isn't really enough to see what marriage wil be like. And it is a marriage that will be watched in public, will have strains that other relationships don't have. I don't know if a long distance relationship over 18 months is great preparation for married life, esp when one of thtem is going to have to adjust to a very unusual lifestyle. And I don't think that another divorce would be good for the RF, which has just recovered from the troubles of the 1990s.
Of course there are no guarantees, but I do think that Kate and William at least had a long time of knowing each other, had a separation which gave them a chance to see how they felt apart from each other, and lived together. Its not a guarantee that their marriage will wrok out but it probably has a decent chance. However its up to them..
Old 12-23-2017, 02:23 AM
Serene Highness

My, people sure have set formulas for what makes marriage works in terms of timing.

I am in a long distance relationship because of my job. When I see my partner, our time together is quality time. We know each other so well because we put in some much intention to staying in contact and seeing each other. We are each others priority in off work time. I have friends who see their partners every day who do not have the same connection as my partner and I.

With modern technology, you have FacTime, skype, etc. It is very easy to stay close to folks. If we take Harry and Meghan at their words, and why wouldn't we at this point, they saw each other twice a month for some pretty intense time together. It seems more and more likely they sequestered themselves away at Windsor, one on one.

IMO opinion, by 30 hopefully you know what you want. Hopefully you are more settled in who you are. Meghan and Harry seem like two people who know what they want and are settled in who they are. As long as they have clear communication, trust, respect for each other and a common passion, I think they are set up for success as you can hope for in any marriage. Life happens, maybe they last 60 years, maybe they last 5. But its very strange to be predicting doom and gloom based off of some very arbitrary measures IMO.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:46 AM
Majesty

its not predicting gloom, its being realistic. Living togeheter doesn't guarantee a marriage will succeed, but I don't believe that seeing each other for a few days, "in holiday mode" interspersed with internet contact, is the same as married life.
Esp when Meghan has got ot adjust to a new country, to a very very unusual life, which is different from what she's had up to now.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
its not predicting gloom, its being realistic. Living togeheter doesn't guarantee a marriage will succeed, but I don't believe that seeing each other for a few days, "in holiday mode" interspersed with internet contact, is the same as married life.
Esp when Meghan has got ot adjust to a new country, to a very very unusual life, which is different from what she's had up to now.
And how do we know they are in holiday mode? From what we’ve seen, they are very much settled in life. From the way the proposal went down and to how much time they’ve been able to spend with each other’s family. And honestly, if you don’t know the difference between holiday mode and normal life into your mid 30s, I really don’t know what to say. Especially considering those two are very worldly people.

Bottom line is, this isn’t your average he wants to marry her and she wants to marry him here. There is a thing where he has to ask for his monarh’s permission. If she truly feels they aren’t ready, and HMQ has plenty of experiences to draw from, she’d find her own way of telling him to slow down. Beyond that, no one will know what will happen in the future.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:06 AM
Majesty

of course they are in holiday mode. They've met up, privately, with H I suppose mostly meeting her abroad or flyng to the American continent to spend a few days iwht her. Tha'ts not normal married life.
And Harry has a good deal of leisure so he problaby doesn't have a very clear idea of "normal working life" and holiday time.. He is able to take a good deal of time off, and generally isn't tied ot a lot of duties.
I am sure the queen has considered all this but she has made mistakes before, in thinking that Sarah York was sutiable as a royal wife, or that Diana and Charles would work out.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Previous ..Denville my worry is very much like you. The excitement of sneaking around from the press every couple of weeks meeting up has been fun and very very exciting. Will it be as good when all the boring times hit.? I love Harry and really hope this all works out and they last the distance. I trend to be a worrier and Iím worried about him.

Closed Thread