Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is with everyone if we are being completely honest. No one really shows their true self to strangers and the royal family are the biggest actors of them all. It is a show. Of course we are seeing that with Meghan. We seeing that with just about all public figures.

Yes, and that includes all members of the BRF, including HMQ, Prince Charles, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke of Cambridge, and Duchess of Cambridge, I could go on, but you get my point. Do you think they’ll show us if they had a row with their significant other in the morning right before an engagement? Nope. They are gonna go out there and put on a smile and do their job. As long as they do their job, who cares?

The other words to describe this is being a professional.

That is with everyone if we are being completely honest. No one really shows their true self to strangers and the royal family are the biggest actors of them all. It is a show. Of course we are seeing that with Meghan. We seeing that with just about all public figures.

Exactly. I've heard many people say, that eg Kate is quite guarded in public and with strangers, but once with her family and friends, she's really funny. I think we see it with all the royals, all they have a public persona, and in private they can act completely differently. It's not only reserved to actresses.

There was a quote about Princess Grace. A member of another royal family said ‘how can I ever trust her, she’s an actress’. Meaning how will I ever know the real Princess Grace.

I think we’re seeing some of that with Meghan Markle.

The whole family are actors. They are expected to be polished, professional, royal, engaged every time they do an engagement. And I can guarantee, that's not always how they feel.

In fact, put on a happy face is the kind of acting we are all expected to do if we want success in society. Likewise, we are expected to show gravitas and sorrow when bad things happen. In fact, people don't really want to know our inner dialogue. They want the publicly accepted version.

We are all actors on a stage - who said that? Answering that Will Shake you up if you just Peer at it for a moment. (GROAN).

I find it amusing that we have critiqued Harry for not being guarded enough and are now worrying that Meghan is not transparent enough.

Yeah I don't get the actor slight with Meghan. It just a skill she will use to help her in her new role. None of these people will show their true selves to the public. They will do what they have to do in their job as a professional royal. Their private life will be that... private. As much as they can keep it anyways.

One thing that’s really annoying is when ones ‘body language’ is over analyzed. No couple on this planet have the perfect body language.

I did notice from watching their engagement interview back in November that Harry was a bit nervous talking about introducing Meghan to his father and brother. Which is perfectly natural. I think introducing your partner to your family is one of the most nerve wracking experiences you can go through. Meghan probably went through this too with introducing Harry to her mother. He hasn’t even met her father yet so there’s more nerves to come.

There was a quote about Princess Grace. A member of another royal family said ‘how can I ever trust her, she’s an actress’. Meaning how will I ever know the real Princess Grace.

Sounds more like a slight against actual actors, honestly. As others have pointed out, the royals are actors themselves.

On the same level of the body language... here is lip reading from their after interview.

Lipreaders reveal what Harry & Meghan think of each other | Daily Mail Online

Ms Lannin also revealed the happy couple describing the moment they fell in love.

Miss Markle said: 'Six months. We both knew.'

Before Harry added: 'The relationship there, we both knew there was something there that was solid, so solid, so powerful. We were willing to have a go.'

I am just discovering this. Interesting they basically they were pretty solid in their relationship and knew it was something they were going to go the distance with before it was even public yet. No wonder he didn't think twice about releasing that statement.

Lol I find that funny because that's what I thought. If Meghan is good at her craft then nobody, paps and tabloid journalist, will ever be able to tell what is really going on in her head when she is in public.... and I find that awesome!

On the same level of the body language... here is lip reading from their after interview.

Lipreaders reveal what Harry & Meghan think of each other | Daily Mail Online

Ms Lannin also revealed the happy couple describing the moment they fell in love.

Miss Markle said: 'Six months. We both knew.'

Before Harry added: 'The relationship there, we both knew there was something there that was solid, so solid, so powerful. We were willing to have a go.'

I am just discovering this. Interesting they basically they were pretty solid in their relationship and knew it was something they were going to go the distance with before it was even public yet. No wonder he didn't think twice about releasing that statement.

I think a number of folks here knew, when he released that statement this was a serious long term relationship.

LaRae

I think a number of folks here knew, when he released that statement this was a serious long term relationship.

LaRae

Yes, the statement was an obvious sign it was serious. I was more commenting on the fact they both basically knew they were it and they were going to make it work regardless after six month. They were in a bubble nurturing their relationship outside of the media's eyes. Probably the best thing that happened for them. They were in a very solid place before anything was aware so when the **** did hit the fan it was like whatever.

Yes, the statement was an obvious sign it was serious. I was more commenting on the fact they both basically knew they were it and they were going to make it work regardless after six month. They were in a bubble nurturing their relationship outside of the media's eyes. Probably the best thing that happened for them. They were in a very solid place before anything was aware so when the **** did hit the fan it was like whatever.

Yes...I think that 6 months under radar was instrumental in them being able to figure out if they wanted to take it to the next step.

If they had been unable to take that time (say the media found out a month in) neither of them might of willing to push past the craziness to see where it might go.

LaRae

'All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players'

Exactly. I think the fact they went half a year without anyone knowing about them was the best thing that could have happened for their relationship. They really got to take their time and figure things out under the radar. Had they been outed earlier then I don't think they would have likely lasted with their LDR. By the time it was revealed they had invested a lot of time and emotions into each other. So all that extra stuff was "noise" to them. Also she likely had meet many of the key people. I always thought it was interesting that William put out a statement defending his brother's statement. They were all aware of the importance of this relationship and were in support. It was the media who were in shocked.

It's also crucial Imo, that both knew, that they needed as much and as long period of privacy to build that strong foundation. After 6 months they were a team already, and each other's priority. So both were perfectly happy with staying at home, visiting friends and family, and didn't have a big interest in going out on dates. And imho all this strong foundation shows when they're seen together, they imho come across as a team.

Exactly. I think the fact they went half a year without anyone knowing about them was the best thing that could have happened for their relationship. They really got to take their time and figure things out under the radar. Had they been outed earlier then I don't think they would have likely lasted with their LDR. By the time it was revealed they had invested a lot of time and emotions into each other. So all that extra stuff was "noise" to them. Also she likely had meet many of the key people. I always thought it was interesting that William put out a statement defending his brother's statement. They were all aware of the importance of this relationship and were in support. It was the media who were in shocked.

Yes the media always seems surprised when they are left out of the loop! HA!

If I ever were to meet Harry/Meghan I would congratulate them on figuring out how to get around the media for basically their whole relationship.

She said (after the news broke) that they made a decision to shut it all out and not read any of it (good or bad) and just focus on each other. Super smart decision.

I think by 6 months in Meghan had met William (possibly Charles as well) and William knew how involved things were.

It's pretty obvious this relationship had a ton of support from the key people in Harry's life.

LaRae

It's also crucial Imo, that both knew, that they needed as much and as long period of privacy to build that strong foundation. After 6 months they were a team already, and each other's priority. So both were perfectly happy with staying at home, visiting friends and family, and didn't have a big interest in going out on dates. And imho all this strong foundation shows when they're seen together, they imho come across as a team.

They are definitely a team. No question there. And major respect to those true friends and family in her life who stayed quiet during the initial stages. It had to be wild for them. She was clearly still living her life and spending time with friends yet was also zipping back and forth from London. They all provided cover for them to explore their relationship away from prying eyes. I am sure they were even shocked how long they were able to stay a secret. 6 months is a long time for someone as high profile as Harry. It is kind of amazing.

Meghan was obviously staying at Nott Cott so I do think by the time they were outed by the media she had already met Charles, Camilla, William and Kate. They seemed to have a very intense beginning so seems nature. Also we know she was around many if his own friends who provided them covers. They talked about hosting family and friends. So she was well into his life before the media even knew she existed in his.

Last edited:
She said (after the news broke) that they made a decision to shut it all out and not read any of it (good or bad) and just focus on each other. Super smart decision.

LaRae

Long time reader, first time posting. Hello everyone.

Yes, if anything all the media craziness I think brought them closer together. It became them against the world. It's amazing what happens when people can focus all their attention on each other, love it.

Last edited:
Welcome to TRF Toukale! Glad to see you're diving right into the water and posting. :D

When Harry and Meghan first met, they both had experience with the craziness of the press and were able from the very first to realize that they both had something special in each other and needed to keep it just between themselves. This couple has proven that they're masters at staying under the radar and keeping their private life away from the glare of the media for just about the entire courtship.

As they realized that this relationship was heading towards marriage and eventually family, maintaining their privacy has set the stage for how it will be in the future. Even now, we only see Harry and Meghan when they want to be visible. They aren't seen coming in and out of pubs and restaurants or going to the theater.

Like William and Kate, they'll have that firm line in the sand between public and private and expect that to be honored. These people know what they're doing.

When Harry and Meghan first met, they both had experience with the craziness of the press

Well, I don't know if you can really say that about Meghan. She'd had experience with the press, yes, from the point of being someone in a line of work where visibility is a necessary commodity and so you must try to get press attention and take advantage of it when you can. But she'd been living in that sweet spot where she could line things up via a publicist, get an interview here or an appearance there...and then live pretty anonymously in her off hours. That ended a little over a year ago.

I do agree that the experience of evading unwanted attention together is probably a bonding one. I do hope, for their sakes, that the form of that bonding is less an "us against them" mentality (which is ultimately a weak foundation for a long-term relationship) and more a "we can't really be out and about without getting photographed, so let's fill our time with a ton of talking and really getting to understand each other deeply" approach (which is a much stronger foundation).

I don't think it is really "us versus them" as they luckily had the ability to develop their relationship initially out of the spotlight. It was months before anyone knew and by then it was clearly very, very serious. I do think in many ways becoming public made things less stressful overall because I am sure the sneaking around was not easy. They know the press is the press and if it is too much they will react as they tend to do.

I don't think it is really "us versus them" as they luckily had the ability to develop their relationship initially out of the spotlight. It was months before anyone knew and by then it was clearly very, very serious. I do think in many ways becoming public made things less stressful overall because I am sure the sneaking around was not easy. They know the press is the press and if it is too much they will react as they tend to do.

I don't see us versus them either. Yesterday they seemed very happy yet also calm given the bad press they have been getting. Harry in the past would wear his anger at the press on his sleeve. I saw nothing that indicated they where affected by the press in a negative way.

I think they get alot of comfort from each other and Harry seems happy he has a partner in all of this.

It's funny to notice this old (closed) thread in this forum "Do you think Harry or Wills will ever date outside their race?" http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...s-will-ever-date-outside-their-race-9089.html

I think the reality is that Harry really did not reach far beyond his comfort zone by dating and falling in love with Meghan. She's biracial, but so what? She's part of his socio-economic sphere, mutual friends, transcontinental lifestyle, going to the far reaches of the planet to do charity outreach.... There are plenty of wealthy biracial people and Meghan is one of them and so I don't see her marriage into the royal family as really 'that' big of a deal. I like her, a lot actually... I'm just saying, it's not so extraordinary as the hype would suggest.

It's funny to notice this old (closed) thread in this forum "Do you think Harry or Wills will ever date outside their race?" http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...s-will-ever-date-outside-their-race-9089.html

I think the reality is that Harry really did not reach far beyond his comfort zone by dating and falling in love with Meghan. She's biracial, but so what? She's part of his socio-economic sphere, mutual friends, transcontinental lifestyle, going to the far reaches of the planet to do charity outreach.... There are plenty of wealthy biracial people and Meghan is one of them and so I don't see her marriage into the royal family as really 'that' big of a deal. I like her, a lot actually... I'm just saying, it's not so extraordinary as the hype would suggest.

It's significant in different ways, but I think anyone who is expecting this to change race relations in the short term will be disappointed. However, she is very different from previous royal brides. She's a woman who has had her own media profile before this relationship and has been very outspoken on important issues on record. That's not something we've seen of any of the previous royal brides. Royal grooms, sure, but not royal brides. So, she might have had things in her lifestyle that was in common with Harry, she didn't have as much in common with other women that have married into the family, and certainly not his previous girlfriends.

As for the race part, there are people that now feel they can relate to someone in the royal family whereas they didn't before. Her presence is also inciting some conversations on this issues. For example, this Jo Marney mess.

One of Harry's biggest problems in finding a life partner, from what he's said, is finding someone willing to take him on public life and all. How Meghan and Harry are so similar is that, in a way, Harry has found the female version of himself. Public life, check. Dedicated to making the world a better place, check. Outgoing and personable with other people, check. Wants a home and family, check. There's probably more I'm not thinking of right now.

The most important thing this relationship has shown the world is that two people found themselves totally compatible to be life partners by who they are and not because of what they look like, where they come from or what their status is in the world.

Meghan could have had any kind of a physical appearance but our Harry wasn't looking at that and its not what he fell in love with. Although beauty is skin deep, Meghan is one of those people that is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.

Tom and Doria aced it in the parenting stakes IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ACO
Meghan could have had any kind of a physical appearance but our Harry wasn't looking at that and its not what he fell in love with. Although beauty is skin deep, Meghan is one of those people that is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.

Hmmm.....? Men fall in love in a different way from women. They do. From the story both tell, it is clear Harry fell at first sight, with emphasis on sight, and then the energy came into play (both being charismatic individuals in their own rights) and then the intellectual and emotional shared views. This could have all unfolded in one meeting, but (for me) it is clear that Meghan being physically 'beautiful' (and well tended) was key. :flowers: It's what keeps him in the game, as well as the daring ('craziness' is his word) of the pairing.

We have to keep in mind that the 'balance of power' between the two is vastly on Harry's side (at this juncture). Meghan is giving up (quite literally) her entire life as she has constructed it and known it. She is a Leo and that needs to be respected (not denigrated), else she will go crazy. :huh: She's not a Pisces.

To balance out the inequality I have a hunch the Sussex household (or the Clarence household), will be very American, and Meghan will make her (and Harry's) house and home her place of refuge and comfort from the subtle alien nature (for her) of a different culture and powerful in-law family. I really hope they have children soon because that will be key for Meghan's groundedness in her new life. It will also help with the inevitable energy shift familiarity breeds in any marriage. ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm.....? Men fall in love in a different way from women. They do. From the story both tell, it is clear Harry fell at first sight, with emphasis on sight, and then the energy came into play (both being charismatic individuals in their own rights) and then the intellectual and emotional shared views. This could have all unfolded in one meeting, but (for me) it is clear that Meghan being physically 'beautiful' (and well tended) was key. :flowers: It's what keeps him in the game, as well as the daring ('craziness' is his word) of the pairing.

I wouldn’t say that was key to the relationship. Obviously, he found her attractive physically, but that type of thing is quite fleeting. There are a lot of beautiful people in this world. These two clearly share a lot of same beliefs and passion about this world. Meghan has said that’s what got date two in the books.

I wouldn’t say that was key to the relationship. Obviously, he found her attractive physically, but that type of thing is quite fleeting. There are a lot of beautiful people in this world. These two clearly share a lot of same beliefs and passion about this world. Meghan has said that’s what got date two in the books.

Correct, from Meghan's perspective. :flowers: Also, recall she had to be assured that Harry was kind, a nice man. Per usual, the woman is looking for something a bit more than just a pleasing exterior. I know these views may appear stereotypical, but I am saying them based on my experience (and I accept that others may see the scenario differently). Keep in mind that what someone finds 'beautiful' and attractive is very much individual. The beloved is beautiful in the eyes of the lover, regardless of what someone else may think. Harry was drawn to what he found compelling physically, Meghan to who Harry demonstrated he was as a man. JMO. ;)

Last edited:
To balance out the inequality I have a hunch the Sussex household (or the Clarence household), will be very American, and Meghan will make her (and Harry's) house and home her place of refuge and comfort from the subtle alien nature (for her) of a different culture and powerful in-law family. I really hope they have children soon because that will be key for Meghan's groundedness in her new life. It will also help with the inevitable energy shift familiarity breeds in any marriage. ;)

I think in their private space they will do a lot to make her feel at home. I suspect they have compromised plenty in their relationship. Granted she has given up the most but I do think Harry has made sure that she never felt like he wasn't considerate of her sacrifices. I bet their home is heavily designed by her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in their private space they will do a lot to make her feel at home. I suspect they have compromised plenty in their relationship. Granted she has given up the most but I do think Harry has made sure that she never felt like he wasn't considerate of her sacrifices. I bet their home is heavily designed by her.

Exactly. :flowers: It's why I will be surprised if they don't get a country home right at the outset. Maybe they won't. We'll see. I would bet she's 'renovating' Nottingham Cottage (moving in her furniture, etc). But a country house renovated to suit Meghan's (California) sensibilities I think would be helpful to her comfort in her new life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom