The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
Didn't anybody find it strange that during the interview they kept referring to "Nott Cott" as "our cottage"? I mean, she has barely moved in (something that I would not advertise)... It looks like she's feeling at home already!

Nope simply due to how long they have known this day was coming. It has been hers also for some time. We just didn't know it yet.

LaRae

Old 11-27-2017, 10:51 PM
Heir Apparent

No one has mentioned Harry's little witticism about the ring.....he said something about he wanted the ring to stay on her finger. She laughed and said yes, but what was that? An unexpected moment opening into something? Possible that Harry had to do some serious convincing? But more, he intends for this to work. He's serious. Good on him!

Also, did anyone else hear an echo of Diana in the interview when Harry said 'Of course' with the same inflection, lyric lift, as Diana's cadence in her engagement interview? Though the 'of course' in either case was in regards very different things.

Several have mentioned timing, that Meghan's sense of time seemed 'off'. In fact, I am with her on that. Can anyone conceive of the life-changing activity she's been undergoing the last years? Its likely a blur, but also, she may judge time by the filming schedule of Suits - 6th season, 7the season - that's 'two years'. Started dating while starting the filming of 6th season, continued dating into the filming of 7th season - two years. I could see her doing that.

I also heard them both say they met in May. They mentioned a meet-up the next day, and then the back-to-back meet-up in London in July. There likely was texting and calling during that time through June, coinciding with her comments in an interview at the time that she was being wooed aggressively by someone(s). It does wind up being 6 months from May to November when the announcement was made.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:51 PM
Aristocracy

I'm so happy for Harry and Meghan! I think they're going to be very happy together and will be wonderful partners not just in life but in work as well.

Congratulations to them both!!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
OK, one more thing I noticed from the interview, and then I’m really done geeking out over this today, I promise!

It was interesting to hear that Prince Harry said a couple of months into the relationship, he knew he was in love with her but had to sit down with her and have a frank conversation about some things. I think when we got the November statement last year, I was slightly shocked not only because it was unprecedented, but I thought it was really soon for something so precedented. I brushed it off at that time as they felt like they had little choice due to the coverage, and had to take on the sexism and racism head on. However, now looking back, I think Harry already knew this could be it, and thus confirming her as his girlfriend was less of an issue for him. And I know a few still think this engagement is rushed. However, if you consider the fact that he was already thinking about her being the one in 2016, this really isn’t that rushed.
I'm probably not your demographic since I don't think it is rushed but I'll answer anyway. I think by last fall (2016) Harry and Meghan knew where they were headed and were mapping out their strategy while Meghan fulfilled her Suits contract. I believe they've spent the past year planning their future together--in my mind "the proposal" was a formality to present her with her ring. They obviously discussed marriage and a life together a long time ago.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
They will have a church wedding. The archbishop’s statement made it obvious, and aides have confirmed to reporters it will be a church wedding. The CoE has allowed divorcees to marry in church since 2002, although they leave it to the local church. The Archbishop of Canterbury will be marrying them, and from my understanding he usual draw the line at if either party contributed to the failure of the previous marriage and if the children of the previous marriage have been provided for.
I didn't know the archbishop issued a statement. I'm so glad they'll get to have a "normal" wedding.

I'm really sad that this will be the last grand royal wedding in Europe for at least 20 years though!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Courtier

Excuse my ignorance, but who is the "Julia" Miss Markle referred to in connection with Princess Diana? (Maybe it was already mentioned, but I'm going through this thread just now...!)
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
No one has mentioned Harry's little witticism about the ring.....he said something about he wanted the ring to stay on her finger. She laughed and said yes, but what was that? An unexpected moment opening into something. Possible that Harry had to do some serious convincing? But more, he intends for this to work. He's serious. Good on him!
Well, since Harry gave her the ring several weeks ago, my guess is it has been in a box since then. Now that it is official she can wear it-it can stay on her finger. No hidden meaning in my mind
Gentry

ETA: Nevermind. I just read a later post that I guess explains why some might have a problem with her keeping her American citizenship. It still wouldn't matter a hoot to me, but my opinion isn't really important here.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I believe they've spent the past year planning their future together--in my mind "the proposal" was a formality to present her with her ring.
I agree with you.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

It seems like it took him a little bit of convincing to get her to continue on with him at the start...good that he had to work for it.

Harry definately takes after his mother when it comes to the tactile and being more open. I love to watch body language. What I see is a couple that are just besotted with each other and fully supportive of one another.

I love that Harry said their relationship will come first. There's so many little things that popped out in that interview (I caught the Of Course too Lady Nimue).

I expect great things from them.

LaRae
Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
No one has mentioned Harry's little witticism about the ring.....he said something about he wanted the ring to stay on her finger. She laughed and said yes, but what was that? An unexpected moment opening into something. Possible that Harry had to do some serious convincing? But more, he intends for this to work. He's serious. Good on him!

Also, did anyone else hear an echo of Diana in the interview when Harry said 'Of course' with the same inflection, lyric lift, as Diana's cadence in her engagement interview? Though the 'of course' in either case was in regards very different things.

Several have mentioned timing, that Meghan's sense of time seemed 'off'. In fact, I am with her on that. Can anyone conceive of the life-changing activity she's been undergoing the last years? Its likely a blur, but also, she may judge time by the filming schedule of Suits - 6th season, 7the season - that's 'two years'. Started dating while starting the filming of 6th season, continued dating into the filming of 7th season - two years. I could see her doing that.

I also heard them both say they met in May. They mentioned a meet-up the next day, and then the back-to-back meet-up in London in July. There likely was texting and calling during that time through June, coinciding with her comments at the time that she was being wooed aggressively by someone(s) at the time. It does wind up being 6 months from May to November when the announcement was made.
I think Harry’s comment about the ring staying on her finger is more similar to William joking about Kate being in big trouble if she lost the sapphair ring since it was Diana’s and how he was afraid he would lost it and be in big trouble before proposing. Considering the fact the Meghan didn’t even let him finish before she said yes, I don’t think it was that he had to convince her too hard. Especially with her talking about how she felt like she’s checked her acting career box off with 100 episodes of Suits and seems to be very excited to start a new chapter.

I think you might be right about Suits filming schedule and her confusing herself. I thought it was just terrible math skills, but it could be a combination of both. She has done almost two seasons of suits since meeting Harry. But Suits doesn’t film from late November to late March, but it feels that most of the time (year) she was filming, she had been in this long distant relationship.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Didn't anybody find it strange that during the interview they kept referring to "Nott Cott" as "our cottage"? I mean, she has barely moved in (something that I would not advertise)... It looks like she's feeling at home already!
They've been in a pretty intense relationship for the duration of the courtship. This is what they stated in the interview. They did not indicate a time line but they both indicated that she has been living at the cottage for a good portion of the courtship, flying back and forth from Toronto every 2 weeks or so (with Harry flying to Toronto, too, we know).

I think we can safely say that they have been cohabiting since at least last May/June (Vanity Fair article interview) and far longer back than that. Plenty of time in which to segue into 'ours'.

Recall that they said that they had been traveling lots of places together, too. I think they used this interview to establish that they have been with each other to a far greater extent than the popular press has known about and as a result know each other, and their families, far better than the popular press has reported. JMO.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoyalCouturier View Post
I didn't know the archbishop issued a statement. I'm so glad they'll get to have a "normal" wedding.

I'm really sad that this will be the last grand royal wedding in Europe for at least 20 years though!
Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby

“I am absolutely delighted to hear the news that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are now engaged. I have met Prince Harry on a number of occasions and have always been struck by his commitment and passion for his charities, and his immense love for his family.”

“I am so happy that Prince Harry and Ms Markle have chosen to make their vows before God.”
Old 11-27-2017, 11:03 PM
Majesty

The comment about the ring might be a little 'in' joke. It's a little too big for her I noticed, just as Kate's was. There might be a bit of sliding of the ring going on and it may possibly need a bit of tweaking. My engagement and wedding rings become looser and tighter in certain weather and physical conditions. Considering Meghan said 'Yes' before Harry finished proposing nothing says reluctance or having to be convinced to me!

With regard to the break in the middle of the corgi conversation, besides technical issues or someone sneezing etc, maybe Harry made a quick joke about the corgis that he asked to be cut afterwards. I really don't think that the Queen's corgis are the most favourite part of going to see the Queen for many of her relatives.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoyalCouturier View Post

He issued a statement pretty soon after the announcement was made. He definitely had a heads up on this from the Palace as he would’ve been consulted about the engagement.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I love to watch body language. What I see is a couple that are just besotted with each other and fully supportive of one another.
The body language was interesting. I saw a lot of "American patting" from Meghan. Slightly patronizing in my view. She seemed in charge: literally leading him by the end during the photo call outside. Also, she interrupted him or answered for him several times...
Old 11-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Well, since Harry gave her the ring several weeks ago, my guess is it has been in a box since then. Now that it is official she can wear it-it can stay on her finger. No hidden meaning in my mind.
Ah, quite so, O-H Anglophile! Thank you. Exactly right!
Old 11-27-2017, 11:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think we can safely say that they have been cohabiting since at least last May/June (Vanity Fair article interview) and far longer back than that. Plenty of time in which to segue into 'ours'.

Recall that they said that they had been traveling lots of places together, too. I think they used this interview to establish that they have been with each other to a far greater extent than the popular press has known about and as a result know each other, and their families, far better than the popular press has reported. JMO.
Good point.

I'm just so old-fashioned
Old 11-27-2017, 11:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The body language was interesting. I saw a lot of "American patting" from Meghan. Slightly patronizing in my view. She seemed in charge: literally leading him by the end during the photo call outside. Also, she interrupted him or answered for him several times...

Evidently Harry doesn't find it at all patronizing. He is very tactile, he must find it supportive/reassuring. She sat back more than once and let him tell whatever he wanted. I think a lot of the questions were directed towards her, obvious reasons, so she did more of the talking. When he wants to assert himself he does it without any hesitation.

LaRae
Old 11-27-2017, 11:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
With regard to the break in the middle of the corgi conversation, besides technical issues or someone sneezing etc, maybe Harry made a quick joke about the corgis that he asked to be cut afterwards. I really don't think that the Queen's corgis are the most favourite part of going to see the Queen for many of her relatives.
Well, as much as I love dogs (and I LOVE dogs), I know they definitely wouldn’t be my favorite if they’ve barked at me for 33 years.

Closed Thread