Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some folks just aren’t used to seeing the British royals taking engagement portraits in this manner. I Would say, “get used to it” because Harry and Meghan’s engagement portraits are absolutely stunning.

I’m sure we will receive more stunning pictures from this more modern couple for the wedding and their baby christening pics down the line.

I agree with someone who wrote that the pictures look like a fragrance ad or some photoshoot for a fashion/celebrity magazine.

But! It's good to see Harry being that happy and content and in love as he is and the photos show that perfectly. I especially liked the "wrap her in my coat gesture". It's cute, it shows intimacy and love and protectiveness.

God, no more all matchy matchy outfits. It was cute at first, now it's just getting nauseating. Talk about cheesy. And people realize that the fashion ads are very expensive and well done artistically right? There is a reason why those campaigns cost millions of dollars and generate millions of dollars. It's well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they'll release a set of stamps for the engagement, they usually do.

Some folks just aren’t used to seeing the British royals taking engagement portraits in this manner. I Would say, “get used to it” because Harry and Meghan’s engagement portraits are absolutely stunning.

I’m sure we will receive more stunning pictures from this more modern couple for the wedding and their baby christening pics down the line.

Gotta love it..people pissed and moaned about how wooden and dull K&W looked in the Christmas photo....now folks are pissing and moaning about H&M pics being either too 'Hollywood/Commercial' .

LaRae

:w00t: I love them all but the pic of them sitting is my fav.

The seated pic is my favorite also. I do like the sweater pic but I don't care for the walking photo.

LaRae

I absolutely love the official photos - Harry and Meghan look so happy together and I think that's my favourite thing because the photos have such a natural, casual feel to them even though they are formal. I also like the fact that they were taken in Windsor as a nod to the location of their wedding.

And people realize that the fashion ads are very expensive and well done artistically right? There is a reason why those campaigns cost millions of dollars and generate millions of dollars. It's well done.

LORD, NO, no matchy-matchy, just... coordinated :lol: Like in dress code. I just think that quite a casual suit doesn't fit good with a couture gown. Maybe I'd like the pictures more if his suit was more elegant.

LORD, NO, no matchy-matchy, just... coordinated :lol: Like in dress code. I just think that quite a casual suit doesn't fit good with a couture gown. Maybe I'd like the pictures more if his suit was more elegant.

And yes, people realize that fashion ads are very expensive and well done artistically. They just don't want them from the royal family? Glamour and fashion is great, but you know, too much love can kill you :lol:

I think a lot of people say it'd match better if he was in a more formal suit, but I don't know if that'd actually be a good overall look or if this is one of those things where we think it'd look better in our minds and then not be the case? If you really look at it, Meghan's look is actually on the more tone down side of what she could with that dress. She could've done more with her hair to make it really formal. However, she chose a more relaxed look. This is the high fashion part about this, and quite fitting with Meghan where things seem to be perfectly polished, but there is something relaxed about it. I do think his blue suit in this case worked well as it gave the portraits more color and is a lighter style to lighten the overall look. After all, they are in the daylight.

The engagement photos are stunning, as is Prince Lubomirska..who if I am not mistaken is related to Queen Mathilde on her mother's side!

Anyway I hope he takes the wedding photos too!;)?

Harry & Meghan’s Engagement photos remind me so much of the original & beautiful photo shoots Princess Diana did. I remember when Diana started working with Mario Testino there were some feathers ruffled among some traditionalists, until other Royals started using him too.

Some of the Queen’s pictures taken by celebrity photographer, Annie Leibovitz, were thought by some people to be too casual, but they were also lovely. It’s kind of funny all of the discussion and double standard about Royals, supposed bad optics & glamour when people come from all over the world to see the Crown Jewels and love to see when they & other expensive jewelry are being worn by the BRF at public & private events.

If you really look at it, Meghan's look is actually on the more tone down side of what she could with that dress. She could've done more with her hair to make it really formal. However, she chose a more relaxed look. This is the high fashion part about this, and quite fitting with Meghan where things seem to be perfectly polished, but there is something relaxed about it. I do think his blue suit in this case worked well as it gave the portraits more color and is a lighter style to lighten the overall look. After all, they are in the daylight.

Yes, these are my thoughts and it's exactly why I don't have a problem with what Harry is wearing. But I understand those who want him to wear a different color, so carry on. :lol:

HTML:
I think the creepiest thing I've seen as far as commemorative items for a royal wedding were the William and Kate Wedding Commemorative condoms. :rolleyes:

I wanted the W & K Barbie dolls, but they sold out fast. A friend of mine has collected Barbie dolls her whole life and she didn't even get them.

I think a lot of people say it'd match better if he was in a more formal suit, but I don't know if that'd actually be a good overall look or if this is one of those things where we think it'd look better in our minds and then not be the case? If you really look at it, Meghan's look is actually on the more tone down side of what she could with that dress. She could've done more with her hair to make it really formal. However, she chose a more relaxed look. This is the high fashion part about this, and quite fitting with Meghan where things seem to be perfectly polished, but there is something relaxed about it. I do think his blue suit in this case worked well as it gave the portraits more color and is a lighter style to lighten the overall look. After all, they are in the daylight.

You know, maybe. But I would like to see a more formal suit. Not a tuxedo, because that would be probably too much, but a really nice, a bit formal suit that fits him well.
As for the dress and doing more with it, I won't go there, because I feel like I'm saying the same thing all the time. For me, the dress was too much, didn't fit the occasion, make the photos look weird. For me. And everyone is entitled to have their own opinion about it.

I'm all about relaxing a little, but I would like the couple, their love and hapiness to be in the foreground, not the dress.

Gotta love it..people pissed and moaned about how wooden and dull K&W looked in the Christmas photo....now folks are pissing and moaning about H&M pics being either too 'Hollywood/Commercial' .

LaRae

Preach on, so true. It's not Harry but Meghan they can't stand. I really don't know why. She seems to be perfect for him. She was her own woman before she met him. Educated, Beautiful, her own person, Strong, etc........ I can't think of better qualities in a woman for him

I love love love the photos! I never like Mario Testino's photos because the people look so flat. His protege has passed the master!

I wholeheartedly agree he has surpassed him, although I do like Testino's photos!! I think these may be the best photos I have ever seen!

Preach on, so true. It's not Harry but Meghan they can't stand. I really don't know why. She seems to be perfect for him. She was her own woman before she met him. Educated, Beautiful, her own person, Strong, etc........ I can't think of better qualities in a woman for him
You can have an opinion on a photo without having any ill feelings towards any of the photos, you know.

You know, maybe. But I would like to see a more formal suit. Not a tuxedo, because that would be probably too much, but a really nice, a bit formal suit that fits him well.
As for the dress and doing more with it, I won't go there, because I feel like I'm saying the same thing all the time. For me, the dress was too much, didn't fit the occasion, make the photos look weird. For me. And everyone is entitled to have their own opinion about it.

I'm all about relaxing a little, but I would like the couple, their love and hapiness to be in the foreground, not the dress.

I don't feel the dress is in the foreground though. She wore the dress, it didn't wear her. Except for the candid picture, we didn't even see the full dress.

You can have an opinion on a photo without having any ill feelings towards any of the photos, you know.

Yes, that! I just want to say that I like Meghan, I think she's a great person, compassionate, intelligent, talented and all of that. My good opinion of her as a person do not interfere with not liking the dress.

I don't feel the dress is in the foreground though. She wore the dress, it didn't wear her. Except for the candid picture, we didn't even see the full dress.

You know, I think this time it is the case where she didn't manage the "she wore the dress, it didn't wear her" thing. For me, at least. If the dress was somehow... less, I could focus on a couple easier.

God, no more all matchy matchy outfits. It was cute at first, now it's just getting nauseating. Talk about cheesy. ...
Um, it was never cute. The matchy outfits have a very teenage going to prom look at me I’ve got a boyfriend vibe.

The chemistry between the couple is perfectly captured by the photographs, my compliments to the photographer.

I don't know why but I fear that Harry's transformation into an Athena poster model is not going to end well...

Via Tom Rawstorne

This thread went completely off-topic and I’ve deleted and moved an enormous amount of comments/posts.

The discussion about Meghan’s gown (designer, price tag, whether she can afford to pay for it and whether the gown was an appropriate choice) has been moved to Meghan's fashion thread. Posts focusing on Harry’s suit have been moved to the 'Fashion and Style of Royal men' thread. Posts discussing if Harry will shave for the wedding, can now be found in the Wedding musings thread.

I’ve deleted the following discussions: the cost of Kate’s gowns, comparisons between W/K & H/M, the Kardashians, what features Harry and Meghan’s children will inherit, whether royals are celebrities and if the BRF is boring and needs more glamour.

Let’s please stay on-topic and as always, respect one another’s opinions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc9qWgCAXiD/?taken-by=kensingtonroyal
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc9qZ4vgFKA/?taken-by=kensingtonroyal

Don't know if these have been posted but I love these engagement photos! Expected Meghan to look great but Harry's smoulder is a nice surpise! ;D
Holy crap those look amazing! I've always found Harry to be the best looking man in the family but he pales in comparison to Meghan. Both Harry and William married up.

I want to talk about how happy and in love they seemed, not cry because the photos aren't stoic and traditional enough.

I think both photos are elegant, romantic, and absolute perfection. My only quibble with all of this is I think they're rushing it. They started dating in June, they got engaged in November. I don't know if five months is enough time to know that you want to commit the rest of your life to the fishbowl that is the BRF. I mean, the Cambridges were together almost a decade before they got married. That's not saying every royal couple has to follow their lead, but less than half a year? IDK.

I wish the two of them the best, and they look totally besotted with one another, which is a beautiful thing. I just hope they're not jumping into marriage too fast.

They started dating in July 2016. They have been together for 15 months. The Cambridges dated for a decade as they met as teenagers. Harry and Meghan met in their 30's.

Last edited:
I think both photos are elegant, romantic, and absolute perfection. My only quibble with all of this is I think they're rushing it. They started dating in June, they got engaged in November. I don't know if five months is enough time to know that you want to commit the rest of your life to the fishbowl that is the BRF. I mean, the Cambridges were together almost a decade before they got married. That's not saying every royal couple has to follow their lead, but less than half a year? IDK.

You must be quite out of the royal loop, they started dating in July of LAST year.

They didn't start dating this June, I think everyone in the family would have a fit if that were true. I still think it's quite rushed but I leave it in the hands of God and also have to consider their ages. The window for children is closing.

That is what is worrying me - is Harry rushing into this marriage to have children rather than to have a life-long partnership? Barely 18 months and they haven't even lived in the same country for most of that time.

I believe there are bets being taken on how long the marriage lasts with 5 years being the favourite and quite a lot of money being put down with some local bookies I know on the wedding being called off before May once they realise that they don't really know each other and the difficulties she will face when she realises that she can't say anything without having it approved and the very idea of going out spontaneously is now a thing of the past.

:previous:Did you watch the engagement interview?

They never spent longer than 2 weeks apart since the relationship began. And they said Harry made very clear to her a few months in what it would mean and the ramifications on her life.
And the time they spent together wasn't hanging out at nightclubs--there seems to have been a lot of one on one time and quiet evenings at home.

Last edited:

I wish the two of them the best, and they look totally besotted with one another, which is a beautiful thing. I just hope they're not jumping into marriage too fast.

5 months? Huh? When they get married they will have been together 2 years. That is plenty of time. They are at the age where people know what they want out of life. No need to fiddle about. I don't feel they are rushed at all.

They have basically been living together their entire relationship. I think they grew closer and faster because it was all in secret and they were alone together more than most would be in the start if a relationship. I mean for goodness sake their third day was them camping in Botswana.

They both going into this with their eyes open. I knew things were serious the moment that statement was released. He would never have if it wasn't. I knew he would marry her and shocking... he is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom