The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Aristocracy

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor would be laughing right now.

The Queen Mother is probably turning in her grave.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
I love a romance that has sizzle (come to me in Botswana!), mature recognition of responsibilities ("lets get out our diaries and see how we can make this work"), and corgis. A perfect balance of attraction, commitment, and one of the basic joys of life--our furbabies.

Seriously----this appears to be a very good match.

Seriously, I can't even say how much I am looking forward to the terrible TV movies about this couple because it's a great story. I will watch every single Lifetime and Hallmark Movie adaptation about this ever

Old 11-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Lainey is reporting that her source says Meghan will spend Christmas at Sandringham.
The same thing was speculated with Kate but from what I understand you only spend Christmas with the royal family of you are married to a member. So I highly doubt she will be at Sandringham. I would be really surprised.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Some breathtaking photos from today-
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle comfortable and demonstrably intimate with each other during first interview following engagement announcement

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-27-2017, 06:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post

Well they're all dead, so they're doing nothing at all.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post

I don’t understand. Why?
Old 11-27-2017, 06:57 PM
Majesty

Wallis Simpson wasn't considered a suitable wife for Edward VIII because she was twice divorced and an American. Edward VIII abdicated in order to marry her. Meghan is American and once divorced.

The Queen mother blamed Edward VIII's abdication for her own husband's early death; i.e. the strain of being King during WWII shortened George VI's life.

I wish Harry and Meghan all the best in health and happiness for many years.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:01 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you Dman for the article on Harry and Meghan , it was a very good read and well worth it.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
This issue will come out if it's an issue. I am not debating this because I know I'm right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Harry is not the heir therefore, there is no reason for her to do that. Quit trying to turn this girl into a Brit. She is an American born and raised!

You’re very confident in your opinion, but may I point out that you (and others) were equally as confident that Meghan wouldn’t have to give up her career upon marriage. Yet, one of the first things she’s done upon getting engaged is announce her retirement from acting.

There are many reasons why Meghan may chose to give up her American citizenship. One big one is that it will help create goodwill with the British people. In doing so she will be saying “yes I’m an American by birth, but I am embracing the UK as my new home.” Which would be a big deal, given as she is going to be representing the Royal Family for the rest of her life (or at least that is her intention).

The other big one is that giving up her US citizenship will make sense financially; she’s going to be obligated to pay US taxes if she remains a US citizen, and while she isn’t going to be a person on a salary like most of us, she’s very likely not going to want to pay US taxes while living and working in the UK, and there is a horrible optics thing to consider - seriously, if she keeps her US citizenship and pays US taxes how long do you think it’s going to take the UK public to start complaining about how their tax payer dollars are being spent towards Meghan’s US taxes? Doesn’t matter if it’s not true, it’s a horrible optics.

There’s also the fact that if she retains her US citizenship, her children are automatically US citizens. Again, not great optics for the UK public.

Meghan has shown herself to be a smart woman who has a decent understanding of what she’s getting into. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if she chose to give up her citizenship, if only because it will make life a bit easier for her and be optically better to the UK public. Remember, it’s not her job to keep Americans happy, it’s now her job to keep Brits happy.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Wallis Simpson wasn't considered a suitable wife for Edward VIII because she was twice divorced and an American. Edward VIII abdicated in order to marry her. Meghan is American and once divorced.

The Queen mother blamed Edward VIII's abdication for her own husband's early death; i.e. the strain of being King during WWII shortened George VI's life.

I wish Harry and Meghan all the best in health and happiness for many years.
There is definitely much more to that story than that. There were many problems with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Meghan has nothing to do with them nor do I think the Queen Mother would have had any serious problem with her considering the other members of her family and their history. I don’t think we should compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
You’re very confident in your opinion, but may I point out that you (and others) were equally as confident that Meghan wouldn’t have to give up her career upon marriage. Yet, one of the first things she’s done upon getting engaged is announce her retirement from acting.

There are many reasons why Meghan may chose to give up her American citizenship. One big one is that it will help create goodwill with the British people. In doing so she will be saying “yes I’m an American by birth, but I am embracing the UK as my new home.” Which would be a big deal, given as she is going to be representing the Royal Family for the rest of her life (or at least that is her intention).

The other big one is that giving up her US citizenship will make sense financially; she’s going to be obligated to pay US taxes if she remains a US citizen, and while she isn’t going to be a person on a salary like most of us, she’s very likely not going to want to pay US taxes while living and working in the UK, and there is a horrible optics thing to consider - seriously, if she keeps her US citizenship and pays US taxes how long do you think it’s going to take the UK public to start complaining about how their tax payer dollars are being spent towards Meghan’s US taxes? Doesn’t matter if it’s not true, it’s a horrible optics.

There’s also the fact that if she retains her US citizenship, her children are automatically US citizens. Again, not great optics for the UK public.

Meghan has shown herself to be a smart woman who has a decent understanding of what she’s getting into. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if she chose to give up her citizenship, if only because it will make life a bit easier for her and be optically better to the UK public. Remember, it’s not her job to keep Americans happy, it’s now her job to keep Brits happy.
I agree. I’m interested to see how she’ll take to representing the Brits and embracing her new country and culture. She’ll always be American but will focus on being a British princess.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 PM
Courtier

I'm just wondering if the wedding will be before or after Kate pops. I hear that the date will be announced tomorrow, so I hope they don't keep us waiting too long.

And he proposed over a roast chicken dinner. I can't help wondering if it was engagement chicken!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Thank you!

The picture on Metro is my favorite.
Yes, it's one of my favorite of today's photos, along with the one on The Times. These two make such a beautiful couple! The chemistry really oozes from the pics/screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
I love a romance that has sizzle (come to me in Botswana!), mature recognition of responsibilities ("lets get out our diaries and see how we can make this work"), and corgis. A perfect balance of attraction, commitment, and one of the basic joys of life--our furbabies.

Seriously----this appears to be a very good match.
Agreed! I watched the interview live (will have to watch again later ) and the thing that really stood out to me is how these two seem to possess all the necessary qualities for a lasting relationship. They really presented themselves as such a mature, fun-loving, warm and considerate couple. And really, I had no doubt that this would be the case. They both just have these great, outgoing personalities. It's quite easy to see why they are so drawn to each other and why Harry was smitten from the start. Love how he basically admitted that he was punching above his weight and had to immediately up his game. Great self awareness there Harry!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Thank you!

The picture on Metro is my favorite.
The Sun and D.E. have my favorite pic!

LaRae
Old 11-27-2017, 07:32 PM
Courtier

Wow! Another royal wedding! I hope it's on a weekend so I can see it. I've heard talk on my job that since Meghan is divorced the wedding would be low key like Prince Charles and Camilla's. I can understand but I hope it will be a little more than that. I apologize because I'm a late comer to these conversations and this question might have already been asked and answered but does anybody know the royal protocol for this? Either way, I'm very happy for the both of them and I look forward to the Royal Forums discussions on the ceremony, flowers, guest list and of course, the royal bridal gown!!!!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant View Post
Wow! Another royal wedding! I hope it's on a weekend so I can see it. I've heard talk on my job that since Meghan is divorced the wedding would be low key like Prince Charles and Camilla's. I can understand but I hope it will be a little more than that. I apologize because I'm a late comer to these conversations and this question might have already been asked and answered but does anybody know the royal protocol for this? Either way, I'm very happy for the both of them and I look forward to the Royal Forums discussions on the ceremony, flowers, guest list and of course, the royal bridal gown!!!!

Protocol in regards to what specifically? The wedding? The Archbishop of C extended warm congrats today and indicated they would be getting married in the Church (before God was the wording) and I'm sure he'll be the one officiating too.

They can have whatever wedding they want to have. It's up to them.

LaRae
Old 11-27-2017, 07:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post

Very well said!! I agree.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
The same thing was speculated with Kate but from what I understand you only spend Christmas with the royal family of you are married to a member. So I highly doubt she will be at Sandringham. I would be really surprised.
I read somewhere today that Her Majesty has invited Meghan to spend Christmas with them already. Perhaps she will attend church services with them. Also in response to giving up her US citizenship, I would hope that she wouldn't but I know that's just not possible. She will have to become a British citizen. She'll always be an Amercan by birth. That is something that will never change and nobody can take that away from her. I think she will embrace being British.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm not surprised to hear the rumor that Meghan will be at Sandringham for the Christmas holidays but I seriously doubt that she will be attending the Christmas Eve festivities and join the family for the walk to the church in the morning.

My guess is that William and Kate may have invited Meghan and her parents to stay for the holidays at Anmer Hall. Then the Markles and the Windsors can come to know each other better. Just not at the exclusively family only events on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

I could be wrong but that's what seems logical to me.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
There is definitely much more to that story than that. There were many problems with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Meghan has nothing to do with them nor do I think the Queen Mother would have had any serious problem with her considering the other members of her family and their history. I don’t think we should compare.
Oh yes, Wallis was only the tip of the iceberg I think ! Not to be compared !
Old 11-27-2017, 07:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Well they're all dead, so they're doing nothing at all.

well played

Closed Thread