Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, happy for Harry and Meghan appears to be a kind woman. She oozes warmth. I like her.
Now waiting for an Abbey or St George's Chapel wedding.

I'm telling ya...there's a book deal to be had there!!!!!

Yep that's a long time period to commit to every 2 weeks when you live in separate countries and have busy schedules.

LaRae

That right there says a lot about them for it takes a ton of work to commit to any relationship and to do what they did shows how serious they are about each other for why do that if your not interested in someone to begin with.
Can you imagine both with very busy schedules, no time to breath and yet they found the way to see each other even in different countries just so they could explore knowing each other....I think Harry has found his soul mate in this woman who is not a dumb lady at all. She is very articulate and intelligent, strong and has strength of character more then most people realize.

I am delighted for both of them and I hope they have a long and joyous life together with tons of love and devotion to themselves and the future.

:ohmy: Wow I didn't think it would happen. How wonderful, I'm so happy for both families! Congratulations to the lovely couple! :flowers:

:usaflag: :princess3: :britflag2:

I love a romance that has sizzle (come to me in Botswana!), mature recognition of responsibilities ("lets get out our diaries and see how we can make this work"), and corgis. A perfect balance of attraction, commitment, and one of the basic joys of life--our furbabies.

Seriously----this appears to be a very good match.

No one is denying she's born and raised. However, she will be representing the monarch from now on regardless if her future husband becomes king. She will be a Brit.

I agree it will have to happen going forward

I love a romance that has sizzle (come to me in Botswana!), mature recognition of responsibilities ("lets get out our diaries and see how we can make this work"), and corgis. A perfect balance of attraction, commitment, and one of the basic joys of life--our furbabies.

Seriously, I can't even say how much I am looking forward to the terrible TV movies about this couple because it's a great story. I will watch every single Lifetime and Hallmark Movie adaptation about this ever

Lainey is reporting that her source says Meghan will spend Christmas at Sandringham.

The same thing was speculated with Kate but from what I understand you only spend Christmas with the royal family of you are married to a member. So I highly doubt she will be at Sandringham. I would be really surprised.

:previous:Wallis Simpson wasn't considered a suitable wife for Edward VIII because she was twice divorced and an American. Edward VIII abdicated in order to marry her. Meghan is American and once divorced.

The Queen mother blamed Edward VIII's abdication for her own husband's early death; i.e. the strain of being King during WWII shortened George VI's life.

I wish Harry and Meghan all the best in health and happiness for many years.:flowers:

:previous:
Thank you Dman for the article on Harry and Meghan , it was a very good read and well worth it.

This issue will come out if it's an issue. I am not debating this because I know I'm right.

Harry is not the heir therefore, there is no reason for her to do that. Quit trying to turn this girl into a Brit. She is an American born and raised!

You’re very confident in your opinion, but may I point out that you (and others) were equally as confident that Meghan wouldn’t have to give up her career upon marriage. Yet, one of the first things she’s done upon getting engaged is announce her retirement from acting.

There are many reasons why Meghan may chose to give up her American citizenship. One big one is that it will help create goodwill with the British people. In doing so she will be saying “yes I’m an American by birth, but I am embracing the UK as my new home.” Which would be a big deal, given as she is going to be representing the Royal Family for the rest of her life (or at least that is her intention).

The other big one is that giving up her US citizenship will make sense financially; she’s going to be obligated to pay US taxes if she remains a US citizen, and while she isn’t going to be a person on a salary like most of us, she’s very likely not going to want to pay US taxes while living and working in the UK, and there is a horrible optics thing to consider - seriously, if she keeps her US citizenship and pays US taxes how long do you think it’s going to take the UK public to start complaining about how their tax payer dollars are being spent towards Meghan’s US taxes? Doesn’t matter if it’s not true, it’s a horrible optics.

There’s also the fact that if she retains her US citizenship, her children are automatically US citizens. Again, not great optics for the UK public.

Meghan has shown herself to be a smart woman who has a decent understanding of what she’s getting into. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if she chose to give up her citizenship, if only because it will make life a bit easier for her and be optically better to the UK public. Remember, it’s not her job to keep Americans happy, it’s now her job to keep Brits happy.

:previous:Wallis Simpson wasn't considered a suitable wife for Edward VIII because she was twice divorced and an American. Edward VIII abdicated in order to marry her. Meghan is American and once divorced.

The Queen mother blamed Edward VIII's abdication for her own husband's early death; i.e. the strain of being King during WWII shortened George VI's life.

I wish Harry and Meghan all the best in health and happiness for many years.:flowers:

There is definitely much more to that story than that. There were many problems with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Meghan has nothing to do with them nor do I think the Queen Mother would have had any serious problem with her considering the other members of her family and their history. I don’t think we should compare.

You’re very confident in your opinion, but may I point out that you (and others) were equally as confident that Meghan wouldn’t have to give up her career upon marriage. Yet, one of the first things she’s done upon getting engaged is announce her retirement from acting.

There are many reasons why Meghan may chose to give up her American citizenship. One big one is that it will help create goodwill with the British people. In doing so she will be saying “yes I’m an American by birth, but I am embracing the UK as my new home.” Which would be a big deal, given as she is going to be representing the Royal Family for the rest of her life (or at least that is her intention).

The other big one is that giving up her US citizenship will make sense financially; she’s going to be obligated to pay US taxes if she remains a US citizen, and while she isn’t going to be a person on a salary like most of us, she’s very likely not going to want to pay US taxes while living and working in the UK, and there is a horrible optics thing to consider - seriously, if she keeps her US citizenship and pays US taxes how long do you think it’s going to take the UK public to start complaining about how their tax payer dollars are being spent towards Meghan’s US taxes? Doesn’t matter if it’s not true, it’s a horrible optics.

There’s also the fact that if she retains her US citizenship, her children are automatically US citizens. Again, not great optics for the UK public.

Meghan has shown herself to be a smart woman who has a decent understanding of what she’s getting into. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if she chose to give up her citizenship, if only because it will make life a bit easier for her and be optically better to the UK public. Remember, it’s not her job to keep Americans happy, it’s now her job to keep Brits happy.

I agree. I’m interested to see how she’ll take to representing the Brits and embracing her new country and culture. She’ll always be American but will focus on being a British princess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just wondering if the wedding will be before or after Kate pops. I hear that the date will be announced tomorrow, so I hope they don't keep us waiting too long.

And he proposed over a roast chicken dinner. I can't help wondering if it was engagement chicken! :whistling:

Thank you!

The picture on Metro is my favorite.

Yes, it's one of my favorite of today's photos, along with the one on The Times. These two make such a beautiful couple! The chemistry really oozes from the pics/screen.

Agreed! I watched the interview live (will have to watch again later :D) and the thing that really stood out to me is how these two seem to possess all the necessary qualities for a lasting relationship. They really presented themselves as such a mature, fun-loving, warm and considerate couple. And really, I had no doubt that this would be the case. They both just have these great, outgoing personalities. It's quite easy to see why they are so drawn to each other and why Harry was smitten from the start. Love how he basically admitted that he was punching above his weight and had to immediately up his game. Great self awareness there Harry! :lol:

Last edited:
Wow! Another royal wedding! I hope it's on a weekend so I can see it. I've heard talk on my job that since Meghan is divorced the wedding would be low key like Prince Charles and Camilla's. I can understand but I hope it will be a little more than that. I apologize because I'm a late comer to these conversations and this question might have already been asked and answered but does anybody know the royal protocol for this? Either way, I'm very happy for the both of them and I look forward to the Royal Forums discussions on the ceremony, flowers, guest list and of course, the royal bridal gown!!!!

Wow! Another royal wedding! I hope it's on a weekend so I can see it. I've heard talk on my job that since Meghan is divorced the wedding would be low key like Prince Charles and Camilla's. I can understand but I hope it will be a little more than that. I apologize because I'm a late comer to these conversations and this question might have already been asked and answered but does anybody know the royal protocol for this? Either way, I'm very happy for the both of them and I look forward to the Royal Forums discussions on the ceremony, flowers, guest list and of course, the royal bridal gown!!!!

Protocol in regards to what specifically? The wedding? The Archbishop of C extended warm congrats today and indicated they would be getting married in the Church (before God was the wording) and I'm sure he'll be the one officiating too.

They can have whatever wedding they want to have. It's up to them.

LaRae

Very well said!! I agree.

The same thing was speculated with Kate but from what I understand you only spend Christmas with the royal family of you are married to a member. So I highly doubt she will be at Sandringham. I would be really surprised.
I read somewhere today that Her Majesty has invited Meghan to spend Christmas with them already. Perhaps she will attend church services with them. Also in response to giving up her US citizenship, I would hope that she wouldn't but I know that's just not possible. She will have to become a British citizen. She'll always be an Amercan by birth. That is something that will never change and nobody can take that away from her. I think she will embrace being British.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised to hear the rumor that Meghan will be at Sandringham for the Christmas holidays but I seriously doubt that she will be attending the Christmas Eve festivities and join the family for the walk to the church in the morning.

My guess is that William and Kate may have invited Meghan and her parents to stay for the holidays at Anmer Hall. Then the Markles and the Windsors can come to know each other better. Just not at the exclusively family only events on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

I could be wrong but that's what seems logical to me. :D

There is definitely much more to that story than that. There were many problems with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Meghan has nothing to do with them nor do I think the Queen Mother would have had any serious problem with her considering the other members of her family and their history. I don’t think we should compare.
Oh yes, Wallis was only the tip of the iceberg I think ! Not to be compared !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom