Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Official Visit to Dublin - July 10-11, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Footage of the Duke and Duchess outside Trinity College in Dublin.

Court Circular 10th July:
Kensington Palace

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex departed from Royal Air Force Northolt for Ireland and were received upon arrival in Dublin later by Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Ireland (His Excellency Mr Robin Barnett).

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex called upon Mr Leo Varadkar (Taoiseach) at Government Buildings, Upper Merrion Street, Dublin.

Their Royal Highnesses later attended a Reception given by Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Ireland at the Residence in Dublin.

Sir David Manning, Mr Edward Lane Fox, Mr Jason Knauf and Miss Amy Pickerill are in attendance.

Court Circular 11th July:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex today undertook engagements in Dublin, Ireland.

Their Royal Highnesses were received this morning by The President of Ireland and Mrs Higgins at Aras an Uachtarain.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex later visited a Gaelic sports festival at Croke Park Stadium.

Their Royal Highnesses this afternoon viewed the Book of Kells at Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex afterwards visited the Famine Memorial by the Liffey River.

Their Royal Highnesses later visited EPIC the Irish Emigration Museum, Custom House Quay.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex subsequently attended demonstrations of computer programming projects at Dogpatch Labs, Custom House Quay.

Their Royal Highnesses this evening arrived at Royal Air Force Northolt from Ireland. Sir David Manning, Mr Edward Lane Fox, Mr Jason Knauf and Miss Amy Pickerill were in attendance.

Last edited:
Omid shared some insight from his coverage of the tour to Dublin on OnHeir this week.

Apparently, Meghan was already knew a lot about the Famine memorial and the specific subject because she has seen pieces by this artist while she was living in Toronto. I know this is usually a touchy subject between the two countries and Omid mentioned that the Famine is something that a lot of textbooks in UK actually excludes and it upsets the Irish quite a bit.

He also said that she showed up every where very well informed, including even knowing the people that were invited to the garden party without having to be introduced by someone assigned to her for the vent.

Omid's observation is that there is two ways to take up this job, one is to do what you are told and the other is to take lead and show interest and engaging. It's not a surprise to a lot of us that has followed her she would be the taking the initiative type, but it's good to hear that from someone that was there.

Last edited:
To be honest, I think Meghan would direct the conversation to a more neutral place and perhaps talk about the health benefits of using pure, raw and organic honey. ;) That's being diplomatic and avoiding any type of issue.

Yes but there is a huge difference between an issue like organic honey and something like abortion,or even the irish Famine.. or Irish relations with the UK.

Omid shared some insight from his coverage of the tour to Dublin on OnHeir this week.

Apparently, Meghan was already knew a lot about the Famine memorial and the specific subject because she has seen pieces by this artist while she was living in Toronto. I know this is usually a touchy subject between the two countries and Omid mentioned that the Famine is something that a lot of textbooks in UK actually excludes and it upsets the Irish quite a bit.

He also said that she showed up every where very well informed, including even knowing the people that were invited to the garden party without having to be introduced by someone assigned to her for the vent.

Omid's observation is that there is two ways to take up this job, one is to do what you are told and the other is to take lead and show interest and engaging. It's not a surprise to a lot of us that has followed her she would be the taking the initiative type, but it's good to hear that from someone that was there.

What you describe would be in keeping with Meghan's previous career. :flowers: As an actress the best usually do a lot of study to supply backstory (either factual or fictional) to suss out the character, understand the story for motivations, etc. Also, only a fool is not on good terms with everyone on a shoot. :cool:

What you describe would be in keeping with Meghan's previous career. :flowers: As an actress the best usually do a lot of study to supply backstory (either factual or fictional) to suss out the character, understand the story for motivations, etc. Also, only a fool is not on good terms with everyone on a shoot. :cool:

I think everything we have seen shows that she does not take her position lightly. She could easily just show up and smile but she wants to be engaged and continue to grow and learn.
Save

I think everything we have seen shows that she does not take her position lightly. She could easily just show up and smile but she wants to be engaged and continue to grow and learn.
Save

This isn't to put others down, but from the way Omid described it, it was well above and beyond what's expected of a royal. He had mentioned that usually there is a Private Secretary behind the principle to tell them who it is, but Meghan seemed like she knew immediately who they are. Again this isn't to put others down, just pointing out that Meghan does seem to be doing this her way while satisfying the requirement of her role.

I would imagine Harry is about to bust a gut over how well she's doing!

LaRae

Meghan seems to be doing things like the "old school royals". An episode of the Royal Family at Work showed the Duke of Gloucester on a train looking over his notes for the days engagements around minute 38:44. Princess Alexandra charms the Nigerian ambassador between 36:34 and 37:38. I think she's going to be great addition to the Firm.

All of this kind of puts Meghan between a rock and a hard place. People are going to ask her questions that she knows she cannot answer and she can't come out and say "I don't talk about that" or "How 'bout those Mets" but has to quickly think on her feet for something innocuous that can't be misinterpreted.

Saying something along the lines that she was well aware of the vote going on by saying "it was interesting" is about as good as anyone can do. It showed that she was informed about what was going on in Ireland without giving a point of view about it.

Personally, I think she handled it beautifully and has absolutely nothing to worry about. :D

It’s amusing to see this “royals remain above” idea trotted out again and again. When I think of all the times Charles and Philip put their toes on the line! I also remember princess Anne in the 80s remarking about AIDS being a punishment for a sinful life! Royals are constantly taunting the beast of political expression! Most of the time they are more subtle or (the Queen, and Harry, come to mind here) they just passively allow themselves to be used by political and partisan interests.

I doubt that Harry passively allows himself to be used for anything. He made supposed remarks to his future father in law about Trump and Brexit that were not to be repeated by a family member. Hardly his fault that they were.

Harry's friendship with President Obama came about solely because of the Invictus Games and his work with wounded service people. Politicians like Joe Biden visited the IG in Florida because they supported the cause and also worked with wounded and maimed personnel in their own country. That hardly amounts to Harry allowing himself to be used, especially as he also met Melania Trump in Toronto.

It should also be noted that Harry has met with former President Bush who was highly active with Wounded Warriors. The issue is apolitical.

Harry has also met with John McCain on landmine issues. As much as some like to paint Harry as favoring one political party over another, it's clear that he's willing to work with people from both sides as long as they are willing to support a good issue.

Harry is just like his mum in so many ways.

I don't think Harry cares about political party...he cares about issues and will talk to and/or work with whomever is connected to them.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom