The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 06-20-2018, 12:20 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,406
This trip and the timing just seem odd all around. Since it's being done at the request of the government, I'm sure there must be some reason it seemed like a good idea, but I'm struggling to figure out what it could be.
__________________

  #22  
Old 06-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I would truly love to know the identity of the genius in KP who thought this was a good trip to accept in the first place, just a few weeks after Charles and Camilla had been here, and to have them in Ireland on the 11th of July! The tone deafness of this is truly astonishing.

As they are clearly unaware, this is peak marching season in Northern Ireland, with activities beginning on the 11th of July ahead of the 12th of July commemoration of the Battle of the Boyne when William of Orange defeated the armies of James II in what is now the Republic of Ireland. Tensions are extremely high during this period and have unfortunately often led to riots and clashes between police and protesters.

Who on earth thought this was a good time for Harry and Meghan to be in Dublin of all places? I hope there isn't but if there is rioting in NI while they're a couple of hours down the road will they be expected to make some sort of public statement? To acknowledge it in some way? I wouldn't trust Harry to do so given his previous utterances on controversial issues. No doubt they would just continue to try pulling a pint of Guinness (the most disgusting beverage known to man) and just pretend not to notice.

Yet another example of the complete lack of understanding of the issues on this island from the royals and KP in particular.
You are acting as if KP has the decision on this. Royals are asked to take foreign trips at the request of the government, but is it really a request and ask other than out of politeness? It's their duty to do what the government "requests" of them. Obviously, they can't physically force them to go, but you simply don't go there without being accused of being political and taking a position against the government. Do we really think HMQ is always happy to meet dictators and inviting them into her home?
__________________

  #23  
Old 06-20-2018, 12:31 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 31,356
I wonder will the duchess pour a pint of Guinness this time round for the Duke!
  #24  
Old 06-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
I thought about 11th July as well. It’s bonfire night in Ulster. Obviously the government wants them in the Republic but it’ll go over like a lead balloon with loyalists NI.
  #25  
Old 06-20-2018, 01:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
No they're not
In the US, the term ‘rock star’ is sometimes applied to persons who create an excited reaction in others. I’ve seen it used to refer to physicists, scientists, professors and politicians, among others.
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
  #26  
Old 06-20-2018, 02:13 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,918
Let's get back on topic.
__________________
  #27  
Old 06-20-2018, 04:49 PM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I find it hard to believe that the PTB in Ken Palace and so on would not know all this.. that it is a sensitive time of the year in Ireland and IMO there's no real need for a royal visit right now. C and Camill have just been there and they have been on visits before and are clearly welcome and good at doing them. WHy send the inexperienced Hary and Meghan
Did C&C go to Dublin earlier this month? I thought it was County Kerry?
  #28  
Old 06-20-2018, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Did C&C go to Dublin earlier this month? I thought it was County Kerry?
I think Denville meant Ireland as a whole. But no, they weren't in Dublin.
  #29  
Old 06-21-2018, 06:27 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
Look! Some of us here are long time royal watchers! We know how these things work! The royals and the palace don't sit down and suddenly decide to go on these official trips! These trips are decided by the British government and the Foreign Office. These trips also take time to plan!
If anybody has a problem with the Sussex's trip to Ireland, write the government!!!!!!!!
  #30  
Old 06-21-2018, 01:49 PM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 640
Of course these trips are made when the government suggest them, I know that as a long time royal watcher myself, thanks very much! My issue is not with the visit itself. It is with its timing.

I'm going to guess that KP had at least a significant amount of say in when it happened. I doubt very much a letter is sent from the Foreign Office to Kensington Palace or Buckingham Palace saying that they request Harry and Meghan go to Ireland on the 10th and 11th of July. With the exception of the Autumn tour, Harry and Meghan have very little else in their official diaries.

My issue is with the true idiots who thought it a good idea for British royals to be anywhere near the island of Ireland, let alone the Republic, during peak marching/bonfire season. A true misstep which can only have been taken by people who have zero understanding of this bit of the world, part of which is actually in the UK!

All of this in addition to the fact that having spent around 6 hours max in NI (unannounced), they will now undertake a 2 day announced visit to the Republic, a bit of a slap in the face for those of us north of the border. I wonder if they'll bother driving the couple of hours up the road to Kilkeel where they're now Baron and Baroness? I somehow doubt it.
  #31  
Old 06-21-2018, 02:03 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Of course these trips are made when the government suggest them, I know that as a long time royal watcher myself, thanks very much! My issue is not with the visit itself. It is with its timing.

I'm going to guess that KP had at least a significant amount of say in when it happened. I doubt very much a letter is sent from the Foreign Office to Kensington Palace or Buckingham Palace saying that they request Harry and Meghan go to Ireland on the 10th and 11th of July. With the exception of the Autumn tour, Harry and Meghan have very little else in their official diaries.

My issue is with the true idiots who thought it a good idea for British royals to be anywhere near the island of Ireland, let alone the Republic, during peak marching/bonfire season. A true misstep which can only have been taken by people who have zero understanding of this bit of the world, part of which is actually in the UK!

All of this in addition to the fact that having spent around 6 hours max in NI (unannounced), they will now undertake a 2 day announced visit to the Republic, a bit of a slap in the face for those of us north of the border. I wonder if they'll bother driving the couple of hours up the road to Kilkeel where they're now Baron and Baroness? I somehow doubt it.
As I said upthread, I'm really wondering what the reasoning is behind this, especially since the timing is during such politically and historically complicated dates. All you have to do is consult Professor Google to understand why this is an interesting set of dates to choose.

Add into that the point Petticoat Lane made about the limited time H&M spent in NI during the get-acquainted tour, and it's easy to see why this might not go over especially well in NI.

I'm assuming that the PTB think that they are going to get something positive out of this trip that would outweigh the downsides, I'm just wondering what it is.
  #32  
Old 06-21-2018, 02:38 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 31,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Did C&C go to Dublin earlier this month? I thought it was County Kerry?
The Prince and Duchess were warmly received in Cork and Kerry earlier this month.
  #33  
Old 06-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
I am sure that the royals will not want to be placed in a political sensitive situation and the fact that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are being sent at that time suggests that the government really want them to go!
  #34  
Old 06-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
Unless you were alive during the Troubles and understand the history between Catholics and Protestants in Ulster, it’s difficult to understand just how volatile this time of year is.

Every day during the lead up to 12th July, ‘The Glorious Twelfth’, members of The Orange Order along with Protestant marching bands, are out in communities throughout NI.

This takes us to 11th July, ‘Eleventh Night’ or bonfire night, when gigantic bonfires are lit all across NI. Some are more than 30 feet high. Tensions by this time are running high

Then on the 12th there’s the culmination of marching season. Thousands turn out in Belfast and other places to commemorate the victory of the Battle of the Boyne. When Protestant William of Orange, defeated Catholic James II, ensuring the success of The Glorious Revolution.

It’s a very emotional time and things a lot of times end in violence.

So it is a very bizarre time to send British royals to the Republic, especially when it will be viewed through the eyes of many in NI as a slap in the face.

I’d be interested to know why these dates were picked.
  #35  
Old 06-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
Thank you for explaining and the additional information. It will be interesting to see the itinerary.
  #36  
Old 06-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,354
We don't know what's behind this trip yet. And I certainly doubt that Harry and Meghan sat down to plan this themselves and insisted to the FCO that it must be the 10th and 11th that they visit.

My guess is that the Sussexes will complete their last engagement in Ireland on the 11th in the afternoon, and be long gone by night time when the bonfires are lit over the border.
  #37  
Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Unless you were alive during the Troubles and understand the history between Catholics and Protestants in Ulster, it’s difficult to understand just how volatile this time of year is.

Every day during the lead up to 12th July, ‘The Glorious Twelfth’, members of The Orange Order along with Protestant marching bands, are out in communities throughout NI.

This takes us to 11th July, ‘Eleventh Night’ or bonfire night, when gigantic bonfires are lit all across NI. Some are more than 30 feet high. Tensions by this time are running high

Then on the 12th there’s the culmination of marching season. Thousands turn out in Belfast and other places to commemorate the victory of the Battle of the Boyne. When Protestant William of Orange, defeated Catholic James II, ensuring the success of The Glorious Revolution.

It’s a very emotional time and things a lot of times end in violence.

So it is a very bizarre time to send British royals to the Republic, especially when it will be viewed through the eyes of many in NI as a slap in the face.

I’d be interested to know why these dates were picked.

While I am an American, I attended Catholic schools from elementary through high school taught by many Irish born religious (priests,nun, and brother). I also had classmates with ties to NI and the Republic who definitely had memories of the Troubles.



When visiting NI and the Republic last summer we were there during marching season. Have to say it was a surreal and for myself a bit uncomfortable moment to drive into a town with the orange banners depicting the Battle of Boyne.


While I doubt that Sussexes insisted upon the dates, it is interesting that the FO and their Irish counterparts were open to the visit happening then.
  #38  
Old 06-25-2018, 02:19 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,388
https://twitter.com/CarolynDurand/st...06570989391873

Details in regards to the upcoming tour.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #39  
Old 06-25-2018, 04:59 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Moose Jaw, Canada
Posts: 288
Looks like no Guinness for them.
  #40  
Old 06-25-2018, 05:36 PM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 640
No visit to Kilkeel then.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Royal Foundation of Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Duke & Duchess of Sussex ghost_night554 British Royals 574 09-07-2019 12:14 AM
The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2018 - June 2018 iceflower Archives 741 07-01-2018 09:09 AM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baby names baptism birth britain britannia british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries customs dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf hello! history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan jewellery kensington palace king edward vii lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg medical meghan markle monarchy nepalese royal family nepalese royal jewels pless prince constantijn prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii royal jewels royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family sussex swedish queen thai royal family tradition uae customs united states wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×