Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harper's Bazaar is an American fashion magazine. Was this is a deliberate exclusive for HB?

No, they just made a story around a RR tweeting a copy of the registration form.

Last edited:
Harper's Bazaar is an American fashion magazine. Was this is a deliberate exclusive for HB?

The second sentence in the HB article states:

Today, royal correspondent Emily Andrews exclusively shared that the couple's new foundation is called Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, according to official documents.

Emily Andrews works for The Sun and she had her own article about this first.

I find the name "Sussex royal" quite appealing honestly. It is the same as their IG account as some other persons mentioned in the thread so their fans won't get lost... I always found the name "the royal foundation" to be confusing and quite bland. I mean there are tons of royal foundations, so why would one be "the royal foundation" (I know it is the shortened version of the name but still quite confusing)? At first, I thought it was the princess royal's foundation or the foundation of the whole royal family. Sussex royal is a huge improvement in terms of name, it is direct and focused.:flowers:

I don't understand why some people find it too long... it is literally shorter than the royal foundation and as it was repeated many times in the thread the sussex foundation was not an option as it is already taken... calling it the sussex royal foundation would have also lead to some confusions with the sussex foundation.

Last edited:
No, they just made a story around a RR tweeting a copy of the registration form.

In the age of a burp being heard around the world instantly, word gets around quickly about things. Its actually a blessing for H&M's new organization/company because the more people that know about it, the more its going to get its message out.

Anyone could have found the documents and information filed for the new foundation. I did. Rudolph asked if it was registered as a charity or a company so I googled "registering a company in the UK" and found the website of Companies House at www.gov.uk. I entered the name reported to be the title of the foundation and, voila, there it was. The real deal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/companies-house

I think what really matters is the word "official". Can't get any more official than actual information from the government agency that handles registering new companies.

I've noticed too, thanks to Princess Larisa and her eagle eye on the Court Circular, that Harry has had quite a few meetings with different boards of incentives that most likely will be part of the new foundation. There's a lot of work, I believe, behind the scenes going on now to get everything in working order and set to go once the summer hiatus is over with and H&M return to their work come the fall months.

I find the name "Sussex royal" quite appealing honestly. It is the same as their IG account as some other persons mentioned in the thread so their fans won't get lost... I always found the name "the royal foundation" to be confusing and quite bland. I mean there are tons of royal foundations, so why would one be "the royal foundation" (I know it is the shortened version of the name but still quite confusing)? At first, I thought it was the princess royal's foundation or the foundation of the whole royal family. Sussex royal is a huge improvement in terms of name, it is direct and focused.:flowers:

I don't understand why some people find it too long... it is literally shorter than the royal foundation and as it was repeated many times in the thread the sussex foundation was not an option as it is already taken... calling it the sussex royal foundation would have also lead to some confusions with the sussex foundation.

What people are finding to be too long and awkward is what was given as the full name of the Foundation--

"Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex"

What steps you guys think should be taken to help stop this ongoing madness?

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be alone in saying this, but all this stuff got to stop. Too much has been snowballing for a long time and it’s all getting out of hand. We’re used to the summer silly season, but this has gone way beyond that.

People need to stop feeding this by being offended by every stupid little thing. Stop nitpicking, stop analysing, stop getting your panties in a twist. Start from a positive position and not from a negative one. Instead of saying, in response to a bad choice in clothing, “OMG is she blind!!!!!”. Try to start a comment with a positive.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but to many negative opinions brings a topic down and doesn’t always add anything constructive.

But that’s my 2 cents.

I may be alone in saying this, but all this stuff got to stop. Too much has been snowballing for a long time and it’s all getting out of hand. We’re used to the summer silly season, but this has gone way beyond that.

IMHO this is a case of "demand and supply" as readers are making it clear through their actions that they're very, very interested in any story about the Sussexes. In response to the demand, the tabloids/social media writers are doing their best to provide a steady supply for their customers. Therefore by not purchasing, clicking on, commenting upon or sharing a tabloid story would help to send a message to the tabloids/social media that a high volume of stories about them is not wanted.

IMHO this is a case of "demand and supply" as readers are making it clear through their actions that they're very, very interested in any story about the Sussexes. In response to the demand, the tabloids/social media writers are doing their best to provide a steady supply for their customers. Therefore by not purchasing, clicking on, commenting upon or sharing a tabloid story would help to send a message to the tabloids/social media that a high volume of stories about them is not wanted.
I agree 100% with what you say. This is one of the reasons why I can't understand it when many of the stans react positively to paparazzi pictures of the family. When the clearly distressed couple left that massage place before the birth of Archie they talked about Meghan's clothes and the size of her bump and when some time ago paparazzi pictures of George and Charlotte with Nanny Maria swirled around social media their stans went gaga about how adorable the pictures where.
This goes for all who follow different royals - don't click, retweet or buy anything containing paparazzi pictures.
Pictures taken at events where they know that they're going to be seen like the polo match and pictures taken by people on the street I feel is a different matter

Last edited:

IMO they need to concentrate on patronages that serve a public that will possibly go through very difficult times soon, the 'bread and butter' events. They need to find their role as royals and distance themselves from celebrity.

IMO they need to concentrate on patronages that serve a public that will possibly go through very difficult times soon, the 'bread and butter' events. They need to find their role as royals and distance themselves from celebrity.

I think the bolded is a very good point. In my opinion, where the Sussexes have been most effective is in some of their smaller, more intimate, projects. There is no doubt that the environment is a huge and important issue, but it is also a very complicated one, as we have seen just on this thread, and that makes it harder for a member of the BRF to make statements that don't immediately produce backlash. Meghan and Harry might be better off in the short term concentrating on some of their less global, more local initiatives.

Its not very helpful in the long term for Megs to involve her best friends in a royal debacle. So it would appear to sadly (remember the friends’ magazine disclosures) that Meghan is authorising her closest friend and celebrity Jessica Mulroney to label all her critics on her and her spouse’s eco-credentials as “racists”
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Z82qCFXga/?igshid=9xg0e0x163r1

A few months of very unglamorous, hands on charity work in the usual bread and butter way would change the narrative IMO. Nothing too showy or glamorous.

I think the bolded is a very good point. In my opinion, where the Sussexes have been most effective is in some of their smaller, more intimate, projects. There is no doubt that the environment is a huge and important issue, but it is also a very complicated one, as we have seen just on this thread, and that makes it harder for a member of the BRF to make statements that don't immediately produce backlash. Meghan and Harry might be better off in the short term concentrating on some of their less global, more local initiatives.

IMHO I believe they have tried to do too much too soon. Meghan was not given enough time to settle in, I know she had her own career, life and charity work, but royal life was totally new plus a baby within the year. She had nothing to prove, they jumped in, took on lots of stuff, and at times took their eye off the ball. Left themselves open, less is more as the saying goes.

Its not very helpful in the long term for Megs to involve her best friends in a royal debacle. So it would appear to sadly (remember the friends’ magazine disclosures) that Meghan is authorising her closest friend and celebrity Jessica Mulroney to label all her critics on her and her spouse’s eco-credentials as “racists”
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Z82qCFXga/?igshid=9xg0e0x163r1

Well the word is out , addressing the elephant in the Room.
It's not the whole issue, of course, and i think a lot has to do with an unexperienced household, some amateurish PR and maybe a bit of out of touch attitude ...
But yes racism is obviously part of the narrative ...

Well the word is out , addressing the elephant in the Room.
It's not the whole issue, of course, and i think a lot has to do with an unexperienced household, some amateurish PR and maybe a bit of out of touch attitude ...
But yes racism is obviously part of the narrative ...

Is it though? I have not seen, heard or read anything that makes me think this.

I have heard people in this country refer to a perceived pushiness & a possible lack of understanding as to how members of the royal family should conduct themselves in their duties. I think coming from a new world society would be a great challenge to anyone.

Many British people (maybe most who knows) still do prefer their royals unglamorous & non controversial.

Is it though? I have not seen, heard or read anything that makes me think this.

I have heard people in this country refer to a perceived pushiness & a possible lack of understanding as to how members of the royal family should conduct themselves in their duties. I think coming from a new world society would be a great challenge to anyone.

Many British people (maybe most who knows) still do prefer their royals unglamorous & non controversial.

I do think there's a mix : a reject from a part of the establishment seing a divorced actress joining the BRF, a reject from a part of the pro Brexit Britain seing a foreigner joining the BRF and a yes a reject from some seeing a bi racial woman joining the BRF.
But maybe in order to counterbalance those challenges, the Sussexes seem to try a bit too hard, and too fast, to be relevant, instead of calmly, discreetly but firmly establishing themselves as pillars of the BRF, Cambridges and Cornwall style.
I don't think it's easy and there's no tutorial to be a perfect royal. The only thing i know, and i see, is that their PR has been just chaotic lately. Maybe a return to fundamentals, the good'ol, a tad boring but understated engagements across the UK could help to fix the somewhat blurred image of the last few weeks...

I agree. This is very unhelpful. I don't see how labelling all critics 'racists' is going to help in any way. While the criticism of some has racial undertones (or is outright racist); that doesn't mean that the criticism in general is racist.

I would hope that Meghan and Harry do pay attention to what is being said (of course not by reading every single detail but keeping track of the larger public opinion) and take it into account instead of putting it away as 'racist'; as that would almost guarantee that they will continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Friends confirming that all of this is just 'racist' is not helpful at all - although I somewhat understand how hard it must be for friends to not be able to 'protect' your friend against what you perceive to be unfair criticism.

I think it's a mix of racism, classism and nationalism all mixed in.

LaRae

I do think there's a mix : a reject from a part of the establishment seing a divorced actress joining the BRF, a reject from a part of the pro Brexit Britain seing a foreigner joining the BRF and a yes a reject from some seeing a bi racial woman joining the BRF.
But maybe in order to counterbalance those challenges, the Sussexes seem to try a bit too hard, and too fast, to be relevant, instead of calmly, discreetly but firmly establishing themselves as pillars of the BRF, Cambridges and Cornwall style.
I don't think it's easy and there's no tutorial to be a perfect royal. The only thing i know, and i see, is that their PR has been just chaotic lately. Maybe a return to fundamentals, the good'ol, a tad boring but understated engagements across the UK could help to fix the somewhat blurred image of the last few weeks...

Foreigners have joined the royal family for generations.....please tell me what Brexit has got to do with it.. I thought we could avoid the B word on here.
I do agree with second part of your post with regards trying too hard.

The Sussexes aren't the Cambridges or the Cornwalls. And honestly they didn't do things the same way either. I don't see how Meghan did too much too fast. She worked on two projects and focused on her patronage while doing engagements. Isn't that what she is suppose to do? If she did nothing people would attack her for that. Not her working is wrong too? She literally can't win.

As for her friends... they clearly privy to things we might not know. To claim racism has zero to do with it is just false as Archie was all of a few hours old when he was called a monkey. I mean...

Is all criticism that? Of course not. I think the private jet debate is actually a valid conversation but the over the top way it is being reported does lead some to think this is just another excuse to pile on...

But this shall blow over eventually when the next headline comes.

I think your second & third paragraphs are spot on:flowers:

Being a British royal is a marathon not a sprint & the focus should always be on supporting the crown. There is a lot to be said for being dull & dutiful :lol:

Last edited:

I think this is the crux of it. There undoubtedly are other issues--the "-isms" that have been pointed out numerous times--but at this point all of those are swirling around and adding to the missteps that I believe the Sussexes have been taking from almost the very beginning. Those have mostly been small missteps, but they are adding up in a significant way.

I like that Meghan came out with her Smart Works fashion line. She is not going to hide behind palace walls or curl up in a ball in a corner at Frogmore. And if she played demure duchess like some people think she should she would have been dragged for that. This is never complain never explain 2.0.

Her work with Smart Works is commendable. What she did for Vogue I think gets perilously close to political & this is a big no no for British royalty.

If by demure it's meant that she should focus on traditional non controversial areas then yes she should be demure. The Countess of Wessex or the Princess Royal are the correct role models to follow.

Visiting places of work, schools, opening bridges etc. Representing the crown in the most remote parts of the country. Meeting with people, giving them formal recognition for their efforts & making them feel valued. This is the bread & butter of royal life.

Being royal is not the same as being an actress or an activist. The British people are not interested in royals for who they are but for what they represent. British royals are not celebrities, they are the custodians of an institution that has been in existence for over a thousand years. They are just passing through. Even the present monarch herself, loved as she is, will be but a passing (if glorious) note in a long history.

Last edited:
Her work with Smart Works is commendable. What she did for Vogue I think gets perilously close to political & this is a big no no for British royalty.

If by demure it's meant that she should focus on traditional non controversial areas then yes she should be demure. The Countess of Wessex or the Princess Royal are the correct role models to follow.

Visiting places of work, schools, opening bridges etc. This is the bread & butter of royal life.

Being royal is not the same as being an actress or an activist. The British people are not interested in royals for who they are but for what they represent. British royals are not celebrities, they are the custodians of an institution that has been in existence for over a thousand years. They are just passing through. Even the present monarch herself, loved as she is, will be but a passing (if glorious) note in a long history.

Excellent post.

The situation has not been helped by friends making statements. The woman who was on the Vogue cover now calling everybody in the UK the R word isn't very good, Jessica has also made a reference to the R word.
Disagreeing with Meghans views or actions does not make people haters or the R word.

@Durham - Sophie and Anne are different women with their own style in carrying out their royal role. You can't turn Meghan into them. It will not be seen as authentic for her. A different approach to royal work does not make wrong. When there were moments of solemnity, Remembrance Day, Anzac Day etc I don't recall Meghan wildin' out at the church acting a complete fool. She conducted herself accordingly. Give her a chance and let her do the work of her patronages.

I think Meghan isn't that far off from The Countess of Wessex who recently was in NYC speaking about the rights of women. In fact she said something similar to Meghan in which... and I paraphrase -- that if a table is full of men than we as a woman should just pull up a seat anyways.

I actually would love for them to do something together in the future.

@Durham - Sophie and Anne are different women with their own style in carrying out their royal role. You can't turn Meghan into them. It will not be seen as authentic for her. A different approach to royal work does not make wrong. When there were moments of solemnity, Remembrance Day, Anzac Day etc I don't recall Meghan wildin' out at the church acting a complete fool. She conducted herself accordingly. Give her a chance and let her do the work of her patronages.

I don't think anybody wants Meghan to change, but the poster was suggesting that maybe it would have been better to take things at a slower pace. Let her find her feet within the royal family, it is different to the life she came from.

I think it's a mix of racism, classism and nationalism all mixed in.

LaRae
There is 'truth' there. Unvarnished, uncomfortable and unpalatable, but 'truth' nonetheless.

There is nothing "nothing perilously" close to political in her guest-editing of Vogue. It wasn't political, full stop. I know we are more used to seeing our royals on the cover with a nice spread of photos and an article inside but Meghan had the opportunity to guest-edit the issue.

She was totally upfront about continuing her work to advance the cause of women so it is no surprise that the Vogue edition should reflect that. That is a big deal and since she had been working on it since January I think it is safe to say that the HM and her in-laws were well aware of what she was doing.

Since Sophie's children were both at school, her focus has widened to include engagement such as speaking at the Commission on the Status of Women at the UN.(see royal home page) The visit follows The Countess's announcement on International Women's Day that she would champion women’s full and meaningful participation in peace processes for women.

We have a responsibility to ensure that women have every opportunity to reach the highest levels of their profession and lead across political, economic and social spheres. In the societies we live in today, there is no excuse not to include women.
So we have Camilla, Sophie and Meghan all working on specifically avenues to raise the status of women.

Seems there's a whole bunch of radical royal Women! But that's what you get when an heir presumptive decides to tinker with engines and drive ambulances? Come to think of it, she has never stopped working to be relevant as a woman and a Queen and her royal style of diplomacy is, quite simply, matchless. I heard the then Crown Prince of Saudi was quite terrified during his tour of Balmoral!

I believe that HM is enjoying the women in her family and encourages and supports them to do what they can just as she did and does. Mehan is no exception and, contrary to many peoples opinion, IMO the Queen takes a personal interest in all of the work done by the women of her family and knows when to slam on the brakes.

The job of royals is NOT to open bridges and tour hospitals. Yes its part, but not the Main part. The job is to support the economy and charities, aiding the country. All royals have their own causes, things which they are passionate about. The older generation yes they tend to be less controversial, as that is the time they grew up in.

But even then we have Charles with his green energy, and yes that has caused a great deal of controversy. And claims he was budding into politics.

We have Camilla who is taking on how victims of domestic abuse and rape are handled by the authorities.

We have Harry and the Cambridges (now Meghan) taking on the stigma of mental health awareness.

Heck Diana was applauded for breaking barriers and getting into things like AIDS and land mines.

If you look at the royals on the continent the royal women are involved with the UN, World Health Organization and other major groups. They are speaking at conferences and looking to make change. There is nothing that Meghan is doing that is ground breaking or earth shattering for a royal woman to be doing.

None of her choices for Vogue were political, well other then the one politician. But she wasnt chosen because she was a politician. They were chosen for their support of women, the LGBTQ community and the arts. All of these are topics that are already supported by the royals.

I actually think the reason that the Hub is not an official patronage is because of this absurd fear it would be seen as being too political. Having her take on a charity that is so focused on minority groups, at least as her first patronage. Instead its just her 'special project'.

Her clothing line is a fantastic initiative. Like the cook book she was involved in, I love when royals do something hands on and are not simply the face of the charity. I always thought that Kate the photographer should use her photographs to raise money for her charity work. I like Meghan does.

The amount of women who will get outfits donated to them for their interviews because of this is important. Sometimes that new outfit and a new hair cut is just the boost of confidence a woman needs to nail an interview.

Unfortunately it was too 'glamerous' of a charity initiative. For all those who thought some charity appearances may help quell the flight talk. The wolves are out, calling it an attempt to make her friend Misha richer, and that this is all flash and no substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom