Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She seems to take on strawmen; nobody said that the royals don't do anything global (they do; and I, for one, love that Harry and Meghan are focusing on the Commonwealth as that carves a clear direction for their roles): it's that they don't promote themselves as a 'brand' and Harry and Meghan run the risk of doing so. It must be a really hard balance to do just enough and not too much in this area.

In addition, while I do think that in general Harry and Meghan are doing a fine job; stating that 'she hasn't put a foot wrong' is putting her on a pedestal that I don't think anyone deserves. Of course, Meghan has made some mistakes... that's normal. That's for example why Harry needed to correct her on the balcony recently.

As for branding, the whole royal family is a brand. And if people had said that a few decades ago, some would've had a heart attack. But it has always been around, how the royal family wants to be seen and defined by the public. It's just a different name thanks to the changing times. And really, the question begs how much has Meghan and Harry promoted themselves versus a narrative the press is trying to promote? The best example is the recent comments from press about the Cambridges and Sussexes competing for attention because they made social media posts the same day. Well, guess what, it's kind of hard to change the date of your anniversary and when Chelsea Flower Show starts. They promote their causes like all members of the BRF do, they just get more attention because there is more interest in them. Something that is not their fault.

Is she perfect? No, but she hasn't done anything that would qualify as "putting a foot wrong" either. And certainly not deserving of all the outrage and criticism she's received.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for branding, the whole royal family is a brand. And if people had said that a few decades ago, some would've had a heart attack. But it has always been around, how the royal family wants to be seen and defined by the public. It's just a different name thanks to the changing times. And really, the question begs how much has Meghan and Harry promoted themselves versus a narrative the press is trying to promote? The best example is the recent comments from press about the Cambridges and Sussexes competing for attention because they made social media posts the same day. Well, guess what, it's kind of hard to change the date of your anniversary and when Chelsea Flower Show starts. They promote their causes like all members of the BRF do, they just get more attention because there is more interest in them. Something that is not their fault.

No, Meghan hasn’t put a foot wrong. Even if she did, that’s okay, because the royals are allowed to make mistakes. They are human before they are royal.

Is she perfect? No, but she hasn't done anything that would qualify as "putting a foot wrong" either. And certainly not deserving of all the outrage and criticism she's received.

I would say exactly the same if someone would say that Catherine had never put a foot wrong. Of course, she has. I still think the way she presented herself at the Foundation's meeting wasn't a good one... Of course, some might judge those instances differently; and others might not agree with my assessment that she did a great job with the 'kitchen' project - but imo only those completely adoring someone might state that she 'did not put a foot wrong'.

Nonetheless, I agree that she doesn't deserve the criticism she is receiving - just like others before her didn't deserve theirs (whether smaller or bigger) to the extent they have been receiving it (while there is some truth in some of the criticism as well - and it would be wise to learn from it but I hope someone else is filtering it because it wouldn't be good for anyone's self-confidence to read all there is to read).

And indeed, the royal family is the brand. So, all of them should be careful to not promote themselves but the family; and given the media attention they receive and how much they seem to enjoy and purposefully use it (and the rumors about them wanting to do it all on their own - of course, we don't know exactly what's going on behind palace doors), it is a trap they shouldn't fall into. It also has advantages (strategically communicating with the public is something that other members of the family might wish for) but unfortunately, it has been quite a mixed bag so far (mostly due to the media but also to their own doing.

I would say exactly the same if someone would say that Catherine had never put a foot wrong. Of course, she has....

I agree strongly with this. Of course Meghan has fumbled a few times. All the royals have at one time or another, including the Queen. Meghan has done very, very well, but we don't need to canonize her to appreciate that she is doing a hard job with a lot of grace under pressure, but that doesn't mean she gets everything right, every time. And there will be commentary about it, just as there is for every other royal.

This thread has been cleaned up and the following has been deleted.

• The debate about which blogger is biased and anti or pro Meghan/Kate.
  • Comparisons between the Sussexes and other royals
  • Posts discussing the media's treatment of Meghan
  • Meghan's attendance at Trooping
  • Petty in-fighting between members - Please stop this

Posts about William and Harry’s relationship have been moved to the BRF Relationship thread. Any further relationship discussions should go there.

If you wish to continue discussing royal tours, take it to the Sussex or Cambridge tour threads.

As a reminder, this thread is about Harry and Meghan's future duties and responsibilities, so let's stick to that.

Did you read this? Very well written article.

We Need to Talk About The Sussexes' "Global Brand"

https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/2019/06/we-need-to-talk-about-sussexes-global.html

I think this is a very good, in-depth factual-based summary of the global projects many members of the royal family are involved with. This commentary very effectively disputes the odd and inaccurate notion that what Meghan and Harry are doing and planning philanthropically is some kind of 'celebrity-motivated' departure from royal family protocol.

That claim which has surfaced unfairly in the media is laughable, and yet the inaccurate and negative narrative persists.

... nobody said that the royals don't do anything global (they do; and I, for one, love that Harry and Meghan are focusing on the Commonwealth as that carves a clear direction for their roles): it's that they don't promote themselves as a 'brand' and Harry and Meghan run the risk of doing so. It must be a really hard balance to do just enough and not too much in this area...

Really? Why do you think this (i.e., the underlined), and in what way do you think M&H are running risks of promoting themselves as a brand? It's a fine line when in fact the royal family is a kind of brand, and members of the royal family are for all intents and purposes similar to celebrities, and at the same time, different with different expectations and requirements asked of them.

IMO, Meghan and Harry understand that having privilege and status places responsibility on their shoulders to use their status and privilege to help others. They are both passionate about making a difference and giving back. If that's a brand, then so be it. The fact that Meghan formerly had an acting career is an asset, and not the liability many critics like to characterize it as being.

As far as their love story and their amazing chemistry together striking a chord with so many people and being something that's very marketable, they aren't perpetuating that at all. Meghan and Harry are simply being themselves and being responsible about keeping as much of their private lives as private as they can, while straddling the line between giving the public and the press some information because Harry is an important royal and the public is and has always been interested in every aspect of his life.

As Meghan noted during the engagement interview, she was actually less in the public eye as an actor than she ultimately became after she and Harry began dating. That's because Meghan was a hardworking actor on a successful but somewhat under-the-radar cable television series. She was becoming more well known, particularly in the entertainment, fashion and humanitarian fields, but she did NOT have a tabloid profile at all. IOW, she was not a frivolous 'celebrity,' nor was she a high profile star. She concentrated more on her work, on giving back, on entrepreneurial projects, and on enjoying down time/ fun time with friends. Her former Instagram and Tig lifestyle website tell us quite a bit about who she was and what she focused on during her acting career.

But the whole dynamic of being a royal in the age of the battle between shedding too much light on the British royal family vs not enough to satisfy the press and the public, is an ongoing dilemma. The dilemma did not begin when Harry met Meghan either.

I posted this in the RF thread but I guess it might be more appropriate here:

On the Royal Rota episode just released Chris Ship revealed that the Sussex foundation now has a name and they appointed a Chief Executive Officer. Today Richard Eden reveals the day after the split was announced that "The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex" was registered and Natalie Campbell who was the Director of Insight and Innovation for the Royal Foundation will be leaving to join the Sussexes. They are all under the impression they will be ready to launch in the fall.

Harry and Meghan are launching their new foundation called Sussex Royal. H&M, Sara Latham and Natalie Campbell from Royal Foundation will be the new directors.
Today, royal correspondent Emily Andrews exclusively shared that the couple's new foundation is called Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, according to official documents. The directors of the company are Meghan and Harry, along with their PR manager Sara Latham, and Natalie Campbell, a former staffer at the Royal Foundation. (...) According to the certificate of incorporation obtained by Andrews, Sussex Royal was registered as a private company. The duke and duchess made a good choice with the name; it's also their Instagram handle, @sussexroyal. (Consistency is key!)
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celeb...-markle-prince-harry-sussex-royal-foundation/

Last edited:
The wheels are being greased to get this foundation up and running and in full swing before the summer hiatus and maternity leave are over and both Harry and Meghan return to duties and engagements and tours. We may not see them overly much until fall but its announcements like this that let us know that things are happening behind the scenes in preparation.

I agree that consistency is a key. I imagine that eventually, when the foundation is officially up and running, Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will also have its own website much like the one is existence now.

Whilst I get that their Instagram handle is Sussex Royal. Why wouldn’t they call it The Sussex Foundation? Sussex Royal The Foundation just doesn’t make sense. Is it meant to be The Sussex Royal Foundation?

I have to admit I asked myself the same question. We'll know for sure when the foundation officially opens. That title does seem a bit jumbled and confusing to me. I'm hoping its only a "working" title for now.

i agree Lumutqueen. I hope this isn't just another way to highlight their difference and dislike of the conventional way of doing things. This doesn't make sense. The Sussex Royal Foundation would have been perfect. The other way is, simply put, odd.

Whilst I get that their Instagram handle is Sussex Royal. Why wouldn’t they call it The Sussex Foundation? Sussex Royal The Foundation just doesn’t make sense. Is it meant to be The Sussex Royal Foundation?

I was thinking the same thing. "Sussex Royal The Foundation" just sounds awkward.

‘Sussex Royal’ sounds very like a variant of Jersey Royal which is a type of potato grown in Jersey which has a Protected Designation of Origin. Awkward when the chips are down...

Sounds like the title “The Princess Royal.” It puts a capital ‘R’ in their royal foundation. Extra royal.

The closest I could think of a description of "Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex" sounds like it should be read as "Sussex Royal: The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. To me, it sounds like a title of a movie sequel.

Scrolling back and reading Aco's post, it was stated there that the foundation was registered as "The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex".

Something for us to puzzle over, I guess, until the official announcement that the foundation has opened and become operational.

I thought it has been already reported that the official registration was filed under 'The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex'?

However is very likely that it will go by 'Sussex Royal (Foundation)':
1) For brevity's sake
2) To be clearly distinguishable from 'The Royal Foundation'. (which I always thought to be too broad/general to begin with)
3) 'The Sussex Foundation' is not available as it already is a registered trademark with ties to local charities(in Sussex).

Last edited:
Full name is "Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex", which will be called 'Sussex Royal' for short.

Full name is "Sussex Royal The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex", which will be called 'Sussex Royal' for short.

Well I can guarantee you people aren’t going to call it Sussex Royal for short. That’s far too long winded a name for it to ever be used in conversation.

Well I can guarantee you people aren’t going to call it Sussex Royal for short. That’s far too long winded a name for it to ever be used in conversation.
It's not official yet; no need to worry ?

Seems to place a great importance on being able to have the same name as their instagram handle. I think a more formal name would be better even if in social media posts etc they use a shorter snappier easier to tag title.

Interesting choice of name - it doesn't "flow" and is the same as their instagram, so it comes across as their personal brand - more than as a vehicle that's needed for their charity work.

Last edited:
I agree it does seem like a rather odd name choice. I can imagine they wanted to keep "Sussex Royal" as people will know the name from their Instagram, but as Lumutqueen pointed out, it doesn't really make sense with the foundation's full name.

I'm guessing they chose the name for consistency over branding. People will know that it is their foundation since it is the same as their IG account and not a knock off like all of the twitter accounts that were opened when they went live on IG.

That being said...more important than the name I'm looking forward to all the good work Harry, Meghan and their colleagues will/can do with the foundation. The couple are eager to help people in the UK and Globally and I wish them all the best.

I think if it were up to me, and I needed to get Sussex Royal in there, I'd go with "The Sussex Royal Foundation."

Has it been registered as a charity or just a company?

I can't find anything on its charity status.

Interesting choice of name - it doesn't "flow" and is the same as their instagram, so it comes across as their personal brand - more than as a vehicle that's needed for their charity work.

I agree with this. It comes across as a personal brand. "Interesting" is about the best I can come up with, although "revealing" is another possibility.

I agree with this. It comes across as a personal brand. "Interesting" is about the best I can come up with, although "revealing" is another possibility.

Someone in the thread already posted the name Sussex Foundation was already being used by a charity group in Sussex.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom